Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Hey guys,

I've been wondering: Does anyone know of any great pages that explain why do Catholics do what they do? I never really thought about why we sign the cross from left to right, as opposed to the East where they do it from right to left. I know about why we genuflect as it was based on a Roman practice, and I found out the reason for our signing left to right as it also relates to an ancient Roman practice. But are there any great websites that explain all the symbolism? Even though I am a convert to the Church and fully understand the doctrines, I realize I know virtually nothing about all the details of our Catholic culture.

I just found out we say 'lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy" during Mass as invoking all three persons of the trinity. It just never clicked until I read about that. And I'm eager to know all the details of the mass :)

Perhaps this can become a sticky thread later on :)

-Jason

Alexis OCA

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Sep 22, 2004
✟2,466.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hoonbaba said:
Hey guys,

I've been wondering: Does anyone know of any great pages that explain why do Catholics do what they do? I never really thought about why we sign the cross from left to right, as opposed to the East where they do it from right to left. I know about why we genuflect as it was based on a Roman practice, and I found out the reason for our signing left to right as it also relates to an ancient Roman practice. But are there any great websites that explain all the symbolism? Even though I am a convert to the Church and fully understand the doctrines, I realize I know virtually nothing about all the details of our Catholic culture.

I just found out we say 'lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy" during Mass as invoking all three persons of the trinity. It just never clicked until I read about that. And I'm eager to know all the details of the mass :)

Perhaps this can become a sticky thread later on :)

-Jason
Jason,

Check this site out:

http://www.kensmen.com/catholic/beingcatholic.html

It is full of wonderful information. It is a bit "traditional" in its overall church-view but the site is accurate and very informative. I think you will like it.

From a more contemporary perspective this site may also be very helpful to you:

http://www.anawim.pair.com/CATHOLICS/INFO.htm

Warm regards.

Upvote 0

Acceptance

sugar and spice
Sep 7, 2003
Chicago suburbs
Visit site
✟1,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
There's a book called "Why Do Catholics Do That?" by Kevin Orlin Johnson. It's a very good book for looking up various things. It's formatted well such that you don't have to read the book cover to cover but rather can go directly to what you're looking for. ($14.00)

Upvote 0

bigsierra

Contributor
Jan 23, 2004
In a suburb south of Kansas City
✟21,910.00
Faith
Catholic
This is a book I got a lot out of:
1931709327.01._PIdp-schmooS,TopRight,7,-26_PE10_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_3/102-4176409-6864167?v=glance&s=books

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.