Not open for further replies.

GW

Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
USA
✟17,838.00
Faith
Christian
Why is the Religious Vote Getting Smaller?

Mark J. Rozell, writing in USA Today (September 22, 2004), claims that more Christian conservatives voted for Bob Dole in 1996 than voted for George Bush in 2000. He attributes this voting downturn to the vanishing influence of the Christian Coalition. He has the tail wagging the dog. I believe that the major decline in voter strength among evangelicals is the result of eschatology, the belief of millions of Christians that we are living in the last days. Evangelical leaders like Pat Robertson, the founder of the Christian Coalition, Tim LaHaye, whose wife’s organization, Concerned Women of America, is politically engaged, and Jerry Falwell, founder of the Moral Majority, have been giving mixed signals. They teach that the world cannot be reformed while they try to rally their troops to reform the world that cannot be reformed. John MacArthur, an ardent end-time advocate is more consistent: “‘Reclaiming’ the culture is a pointless, futile exercise. I am convinced we are living in a post-Christian society—a civilization that exists under God’s judgment.”1 MacArthur, who has a large evangelical following, has no interest in politics.2

For more than 50 years, from 1925 (the Scopes Trial) to 1976 (the Born-Again candidacy of Jimmy Carter), evangelicals remained in a self-induced political coma. It took Roe v. Wade, the disappointment of Carter’s presidency, and attacks on churches and Christian schools to revive them politically.3 Throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, Christians had rediscovered their evangelical activist roots and their nation’s Christian history, but it was a family tree with weak branches. Any setback demoralized a sizable number of Christians who did not know how to handle political failure. God was on their side, but in the face of small political gains, Christian leaders began to question their involvement in the process. Any excuse not to be involved would be embraced, and a renewed interest in end-time speculation gave them a biblical reason to drop out and retreat to the cool serenity of the sanctuary. “Let’s shut the door and wait for the rapture.”

But for a brief period of time, those familiar with prophetic speculation and their specific dates for the rapture began to question the end-time scenario outlined by prophecy writers like Hal Lindsey and Chuck Smith, both of whom saw 1981–1988 as key prophetic years. When their predictions failed to materialize, many Christians re-engaged socially and politically. But not everyone saw this as a good thing. In 1988, Dave Hunt wrote the following in his Whatever Happened to Heaven?:

During the 1970s when The Late Great Planet Earth was outselling everything, the rapture was the hot topic. Pastors preached about heaven, and Christians eagerly anticipated being taken up at any moment to meet their Lord in the air. When Christ didn’t return and the 40 years since the establishment of a new Israel expired without the fulfillment of prophesied events, disillusionment began to set in. Today, a growing number of Christians are exchanging the hope for the rapture for a new hope . . . that Christians can clean up society and elect enough of their candidates to political office to make this world a “heaven on earth.”4

And just when we thought we could say “good riddance to the rapture,” Tyndale published the first Left Behind novel in 1995 and captured a new generation of prophetic neophytes who had no memory of the failed predictions of Lindsey’s Late Great Planet Earth (1970) and Chuck Smith’s Future Survival.5 Like the generation before them, and the generation before them, and the generation before them, the prophetic newbies reading Left Behind believe they are living in the “last days.” If this is so, why bother with politics?

This brings us to the 1996 election. The remnants of work done by the Moral Majority and the Christian Coalition were still having an impact in this election. But it was the election of Bill Clinton, little progress on the abortion issue, and capitulation to the homosexual lobby by Democrats and Republicans that left Christian conservatives wondering if politics was worth the effort. This was expressed rather weakly in Blinded By Might, written by Cal Thomas and Ed Dobson, former Moral Majority spokesmen who concluded early in the 1990s that politics was being overemphasized by Christians. Since the world had not changed after ten years of Christian activism, it was time to cut our losses and get back to the real work of the church. Thomas became a commentator for FOX News, and Dobson retreated to the pastorate in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I believe that their quietist political views were colored by their end-time views. Thomas, writing during the first Gulf War, speculated that Armageddon was near. In his 1990 article,6 he resurrected the stinking corpse of Lindsey’s Late Great Planet Earth and quoted profusely from John Walvoord’s revised and discredited Armageddon and the Middle East Crisis which hinted that the end was just around the corner, just like he had done in the 1974 first edition of the book.

But it was the publication of the Left Behind series that focused evangelical eyes on the imminency of the end once again. The first book hit stores just before the start of the 1996 election and therefore had little impact on evangelical voter turnout. By the 2000 election, Left Behind had its unintended leavening effect on evangelical politics: Stay home and wait to be rapture. The end is coming, and it’s closer than ever before! All the prophetic ducks are lining up.

So while Mark Rozell is right in seeing a decline in evangelical voting strength, in my opinion, he is wrong in explaining why. Since the Christian Coalition, like the Moral Majority before it, was made up mostly of rapture-believing evangelicals, the force of Left Behind could not help but have a negative impact on political involvement.

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
I don't understand American politics or where you are aiming at here , but i do know that those evangical christians you mentioned , are the ones who are in support of a rebuilt temple in Jerusalem , their aim is to see the temple built so the antichrist can come and they can then be raptured .

I guess they are sick of making predictions about the end coming next week and thus making themselves look bad .

This also makes me wonder why they kept telling people over the years that the rapture could happen at any moment , when they themselves believe it will only happen after a temple is built.

Upvote 0

Big Mouth Nana

Post Tribulationist
Sep 9, 2003
Bakersfield,California
Visit site
✟15,590.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not a dispensationalist, and I haven't voted in years. I don't vote because I think they are all lying buggars. I do think that judgement is fixing to hit this nation big time by God, but that doesn't have anything to do with me not voting.

This reminds me of when Israel wanted Saul as King. God will give you who you want, and I don't want to have any part in putting an evil hearted, lying, cheating, (Clinton) person in the White House. The only way that I would vote right now, is if Jesus was running, and I guarentee you, He would lose hands down.
Christians have become complacent in all areas, and I doubt if they really care who is in there, as long as the candidate promises saving everyone a few bucks, which are lies also.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, since I am a Dispensationist and I vote, and many who I know to be Dispensationists are active in elections and vote....I don't beleive the fellow in the OP.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

GW

Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
USA
✟17,838.00
Faith
Christian
John MacArthur, an ardent end-time advocate is more consistent: “‘Reclaiming’ the culture is a pointless, futile exercise. I am convinced we are living in a post-Christian society—a civilization that exists under God’s judgment."

That quote right there by Dispensationalist John MacArthur is the reason for the increasing paganization of America. Dispensationalists are conflicted: why reform a supposedly "non-reformable" country, society, or world?

The pagans love that fatalistic, defeated view! They are smarter than the dispensationalists since they fully understand that the world of tomorrow is governed by whoever wants to govern it--be it Christans, homosexuals, whoever. It took almost two generations for pagans to gradually paganize American values and culture. They believed that once the evangelicals were neutralized by endtimes fantasies, they would be able to take over America's government and institutions and laws through hard work and dedication. Sadly, endtimers simply continue to stick their heads in the sand and pray for a rapture rescue, dooming their children and grandchildren to a more paganized America.

The opening article says it all.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Since the mission of the church is the Great Commission, something you believe is already done, MacArthur has a point.

However to make a blanket statment about dispensationists and voting just shows alot of bias. Similar to seeing one African American dancing well and assuming they all do. The fundamental attribution error.

Yep - it's all the fault of the Dispensationists.

Upvote 0

DancingWall

Sep 16, 2004
✟406.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I stopped voting a few years ago. I come to realize its a waste of time. While lookin into a senate race i saw that one of the people running had no prior experience in a political office at all. Not so much as town mayor of Mabary. On top of that she moved to this state just so she could run for office. Never lived here before. She was voted in, in a landslide. Who says California is the land of fruits and nuts? New Yorks right there withem.

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
We'll never have a perfect politician.... but I vote conservative because I see the morals in this country going down the tubes, and the president is the one with the power to appoint Supreme Court Justices, who nowadays (even though it wasnt like this in 1781) decide the law of the land. And on issues like abortion and gay marriage I want conservative judges up there. Thats primarily why I vote.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

GW

Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
USA
✟17,838.00
Faith
Christian
DancingWall:
I stopped voting a few years ago. I come to realize its a waste of time.

GW:
Dear dancing, how can you say that? Unbelieving pagans know it's not a waste of time. In just about two generations, hard-working pagans and homosexuals and abortionists were able to get into office and make KEY decisions about our country and its values. They want you to believe it's a waste of time so that they can take charge and defeat your values and religion. They are gaining power because the endtimes Christians drop out and doom their children and grandchildren to a more paganized America.

C'mon folks, God expects the Christians to rule and not to abdicate this responsibility to pagans. Please get involved again and vote for pro-life, pro-God, pro-family candidates. One stroke of the government's pen would reduce the million abortions each year in America to under 50,000! Wake up and do your godly, Christian duty and vote and get involved.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
GW . . while I feel that sayng a whole groups of peopke do not vote (which is what the title suggests, though I can see how it would't be speaking of all dispensatinalists as well) I have to say that while dispenstinalist, I voted, but I always had in the back of my mind 'why am I bothering to do this if eveyrthing is going to go downhill anyway, and we are going to be raptured?"

Though I didn't let it stop me from voting, I can understand the message the author is trying to make . . yes, there is a certan amount of apathy towards society among the dispenatinalist camps . . but not every one is equally affected by it. . .

From my experience, I think the effect is bigger than most would like to admit . .

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GW

Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
USA
✟17,838.00
Faith
Christian
CONTRIBUTOR:
I voted, but I always had in the back of my mind 'why am I bothering to do this if eveyrthing is going to go downhill anyway, and we are going to be raptured?"

GW:
Very well stated. That is the dispensationalist dilemma. And, that dilemma LOGICALLY creates an apathetic, unmotivated, disengaged citizenry. In contrast, homosexuals and pagans are not an apathetic, unmotivated and disengaged citizenry, and that is why they have been overturning America's Christian heritage. America's dispensationalist evangelicals (many millions of them) have given up the nation to the pagans, and the pagans have been all too happy to get it and run it their way.

CONTRIBUTOR:
Though I didn't let it stop me from voting, I can understand the message the author is trying to make . . yes, there is a certan amount of apathy towards society among the dispenatinalist camps . . but not every one is equally affected by it

GW:
It stops countless dispensationalists from voting, and the more consistent ones say voting is either futile or a sin. As Dispensationalist John MacArthur says, "Reclaiming’ the culture is a pointless, futile exercise. I am convinced we are living in a post-Christian society—a civilization that exists under God’s judgment." Quite plainly, such reckless irresponsibility is the cause of increasing paganism in our society. Pagans love this! It's a free lunch for them as the Christian evangelicals hand over the country to pagans and say, "here, take it so we can get on with the Rapture." Oi Vey.

Upvote 0

GW

Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
USA
✟17,838.00
Faith
Christian
Dispensationalists, for the sake of our children and grandchildren, vote. Vote conservative. Perhaps even raise your children and grandchildren to be godly and skilled governors, senators, and presidents. I know you don't believe there is a future for them, but, please, act as if the Lord is not coming tomorrow for their sake. Train them to be leaders. Educate them well. Give them the opportunity and skills they need to be strong, godly leaders of America's future.

We cannot afford another generation of millions of apathetic dispensationalist evangelicals. Their irresponsible abdication of duty is killing our country. What a sad irony it would be if Postmillennial Christians, because of their postmillennial optimism, built America, but then Dispensationalist Christians, because of their dispensationalist fatalism and pessimism, surrendered it to pagans without even a fight.

Upvote 0

Kingdom_Come

Jun 27, 2004
✟1,117.00
Faith
Pentecostal
GW said:
C'mon folks, God expects the Christians to rule and not to abdicate this responsibility to pagans. Please get involved again and vote for pro-life, pro-God, pro-family candidates.
Well I happen to think the OP makes a very good point. There are many Christians who have abandoned politics because they either think it is a sin to be involved or they feel The Lord will return soon and so it won't make a difference anyway. Yet many have lived to see their children grow up, go to college, get married and have children of their own. I do not think the OP intended to suggest that all dispensationalists do not vote, but to state a trend that probably does apply to many, if not most, which hold the view that the rapture will happen in their lifetimes. It can produce a sense of political apathy. While I do hold to a future view of the return of Christ, I do think that Christians have a duty to do what they can peaceably to advance the cause of Christ. We are blessed to live in a system of government where we can affect change without taking up arms and sending our sons to fight and to die in a revolution. We can bring about "revolution" with the stroke of a pen. I'm not saying our lives should be consumed with politics as the gospel of Christ is our commission. However, political change can effect the liberty with which we are able to pursue this greatest of goals. The Lord's word will be fulfilled in His time. We must remain "watchful" and "prayerful" so that we are not caught unaware. We must also do all that we can to continue to advance the work of The Kingdom. If The Lord has delivered into our hands a peaceful means by which to maintain our liberty to worship and follow Him, in our personal and public lives, then we should use it. It would be a shame if our political apathy resulted in the very thing we fear.

I am reminded of a saying, "Live everyday as though The Lord were going to return but plan for your future as though you are going to be here forever".

Upvote 0

GW

Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
USA
✟17,838.00
Faith
Christian
Dancing:
Hi G W
Ive explained my futility with the system. Even if christians would vote whats in their heart and get good law makers and policy makers in office you would still have the unsupreme court jesters ready there to shoot down every good law they might pass

GW:
Dear dancing, we elect our local judges. And, and our elected congressmen and president appoint federal judges. If you love God's people, and if you love our children and want them to have a more godly and Christian society, then vote for conservatives. Get involved. We will be held accountable for giving up our country to pagans. To whom much is given, much is required.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kingdom_Come

Jun 27, 2004
✟1,117.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Ultimately DancingWall, the judges are bound by the laws which are passed by the law makers which we appoint. Even if something is declared unconsitutional, the constitution can be amended. So even though it may seem that we live in a judicial tyranny sometimes, remember that the judges are appointed by and bound by the laws made by those we elect into office.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
GW said:
CONTRIBUTOR:
This is the second time I have seen this . . that is the 'title" assigned by CF, but myactual user name is thereselittleflower (or tlf for short) ;)

I voted, but I always had in the back of my mind 'why am I bothering to do this if eveyrthing is going to go downhill anyway, and we are going to be raptured?"
GW:
Very well stated. That is the dispensationalist dilemma. And, that dilemma LOGICALLY creates an apathetic, unmotivated, disengaged citizenry. In contrast, homosexuals and pagans are not an apathetic, unmotivated and disengaged citizenry, and that is why they have been overturning America's Christian heritage. America's dispensationalist evangelicals (many millions of them) have given up the nation to the pagans, and the pagans have been all too happy to get it and run it their way.
I have seen how this fits . .. though I would be careful to not make it so general and overbroad as though it applied to ALL dispensationalists.

Those whoare very active in politics, if they are serious dispenesationalists, seem to be very interested in moving the political arena towads what they see needs to happen to see thier beliefs come about.

I've never thought to study this, but it would be interesting to see what percentage of those working in the right to life movement are dispenationalist vs other Protestant groups . . I know some are VERY involved . . it would be interesting in seening how your observations fit in social issues such as this.

CONTRIBUTOR:
Though I didn't let it stop me from voting, I can understand the message the author is trying to make . . yes, there is a certan amount of apathy towards society among the dispenatinalist camps . . but not every one is equally affected by it
GW:
It stops countless dispensationalists from voting, and the more consistent ones say voting is either futile or a sin. As Dispensationalist John MacArthur says, "Reclaiming’ the culture is a pointless, futile exercise. I am convinced we are living in a post-Christian society—a civilization that exists under God’s judgment." Quite plainly, such reckless irresponsibility is the cause of increasing paganism in our society. Pagans love this! It's a free lunch for them as the Christian evangelicals hand over the country to pagans and say, "here, take it so we can get on with the Rapture." Oi Vey.
When such a voice as that bolded above is given a large hearing, it can only have a detrimental effect on society as a whole, to the detriment of all of us . .

He is one voice, and I don't know how prevailant a voice his is . .

I hope he does not have too significant a following. :)

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

GW

Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
USA
✟17,838.00
Faith
Christian
TIF:
Those whoare very active in politics, if they are serious dispenesationalists, seem to be very interested in moving the political arena towads what they see needs to happen to see thier beliefs come about.

GW:
Yes, but unfortunately, dispensationalists are typically only motivated to get involved in Israeli politics. That is, they don't care much for our country's situation and many even teach that our America is endtimes "Babylon." Therefore, they believe and teach the following: "Reclaiming’ the culture is a pointless, futile exercise. I am convinced we are living in a post-Christian society—a civilization that exists under God’s judgment." One can see the dilemma this causes American dispensationalists. They believe that they are helpless and powerless against God's predestined endtimes plans, and must simply hide in their safe sanctuaries and wait for the Rapture. Well, if they are wrong about their endtimes views or even have the timing off, we can see that they have abandoned America wrongly and foolishly and hurt our children and grandchildren. Knowing that the dispensationalists have been declaring the end for about every decade since the 1830s, we know that they have a poor track record of accuracy.

TIF:
I've never thought to study this, but it would be interesting to see what percentage of those working in the right to life movement are dispenationalist vs other Protestant groups . . I know some are VERY involved . . it would be interesting in seening how your observations fit in social issues such as this.

GW:
Christians that don't vote or get involved leave 1 million babies doomed to abortion each year. A ban on abortion would reduce abortions from 1 million a year to probably about 50,000 or less. It's amazing that Dispensationalists seem to expect pagans to run the country well when it's their duty.

TIF:
When such a voice as that bolded above is given a large hearing, it can only have a detrimental effect on society as a whole, to the detriment of all of us . .

He is one voice, and I don't know how prevailant a voice his is . .I hope he does not have too significant a following.

GW:
His view is VERY significant. Another popular Dispensationalist, J VErnon McGee, taught his followers that "You don't polish brass on a sinking ship," by which he meant Christians have no right to be active in social concerns (i.e., carrying out civic duties and being good citizens). This is the typical dispensationalist political mindset. It is doom and gloom fatalism and pessimism. Sadly, it is a theology of the abandonment of America.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.