Why didn't the Right try to even the chances in the Entertainment culture war a bit?

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Illegal alien enters the United States and is aided by Californians who hide him from authorities in their "sanctuary city." The illegal encourages bad behavior, including disobedience at school by pushing environmentalism through the freeing of animals. Illegal also encourages sexual behavior among young people by causing boy to kiss girl. However, this kiss was also without consent, thus boy is made a #MeToo example as he is pulled out of class for discipline.

Next: The Goonies

A gang of low-income, ne'er-do-wells, steal from the estate of a pre-Civil War, mariner hero, to deny businessmen a real-estate investment oportunity.

Big Lebowski

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hollywood discriminates. It always has. In the past they made fun of minorities, and today they channel their hate against conservatives.

Who will it be tomorrow, I wonder?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
A gang of low-income, ne'er-do-wells, steal from the estate of a pre-Civil War, mariner hero, to deny businessmen a real-estate investment oportunity.

Big Lebowski
Slacker demands wealthy man pay for damages to his property, despite the wealthy man having nothing to do with destruction of his property, yet another example of how liberals demand redistribution of wealth. His war veteran friend is portrayed as unhinged in the classic trope of liberals belittling military service. Racism that dehumanizes white men also abounds with drinking of "Caucasians," along with the promotion of single motherhood and absentee fathers.

Next: Ghostbusters (1984)

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
78 mainstream movies that are actually conservative (and number 19 is Ghostbusters):

1. The Incredibles
2. Forrest Gump
3. Team America: World Police
4. American Sniper
5. Gran Torino
6. Air Force One
7. Independence Day
8. Saving Private Ryan
9. The Circle
10. Sully
11. Bridge of Spies
12. Charlie Wilson's War
13. The Pursuit of Happyness
14. Argo
15. Juno
16. Armageddon
17. Pearl Harbor
18. The Island
19. Ghostbusters
20. The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit
21. Braveheart
22. Red Dawn
23. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
24. The Chronicles of Narnia
25. The Edge
26. We Were Soldiers
27. Gattaca
28. Brazil
29. United 93
30. 300
31. Knocked Up
32. Miracle
33. Rocky/Rocky IV
34. Stand and Deliver
35. Thank You for Smoking
36. Three Kings
37. The Truman Show
38. Apollo 13
39. Captain America
40. Iron Man
41. Black Panther
42. Billy Madison
43. Mission Impossible
44. Passion of the Christ
45. Patton
46. The Sum of All Fears (or the Hunt for Red October or Patriot Games or a Clear and Present Danger)
47. Good Will Hunting
48. Hurt Locker
49. Blackhawk Down
50. Top Gun
51. Zero Dark Thirty
52. Tommy Boy
53. Walk the Line
54. Heat
55. Speed
56. Men in Black
57. A Christmas Story
58. I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
59. The Founder
60. There Will Be Blood
61. Hail, Caesar!
62. The Expendables
63. Rambo
64. You've Got Mail
65. Watchmen
66. Superman
67. Dark Knight Trilogy
68. The Giver
69. Crazy Heart
70. Three Amigos
71. Traffic
72. Sicario
73. The Kingdom
74. Stealth
75. The Social Network
76. Jarhead
77. The Full Monty
78. Bad Boys
---
79. The 40 Year Old Virgin

Special mentions: Band of Brothers, Frasier, the Office, 30 Rock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Slacker demands wealthy man pay for damages to his property, despite the wealthy man having nothing to do with destruction of his property, yet another example of how liberals demand redistribution of wealth. His war veteran friend is portrayed as unhinged in the classic trope of liberals belittling military service. Racism that dehumanizes white men also abounds with drinking of "Caucasians," along with the promotion of single motherhood and absentee fathers.

Next: Ghostbusters (1984)

Three 'scientists' defraud the public with stories of ghosts, goblins and ancient wizardry to convince New Yorkers there is no Christ.

Black Panther

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
78 mainstream movies that are actually conservative (and number 19 is Ghostbusters):

1. The Incredibles

41. Black Panther
I remember watching The Incredibles and laughing thinking that conservatives might twist it to being a "conservative" movie, i.e., the exceptional have to be mediocre and the villain's plan to make everyone a superhero (then no one is a superhero). I remember conservatives trying to appropriate Black Panther last year (trying to turn it into a treatise on immigration).

Three 'scientists' defraud the public with stories of ghosts, goblins and ancient wizardry to convince New Yorkers there is no Christ.

Black Panther
A society portrayed with women in prominent roles in military, sciences, and intelligence, while men are placed in figurehead roles or lower positions, such as border patrol officers. The country clearly thrives with closed borders, yet the film promotes a globalist agenda by demonizing those who support strong borders. By the film's end, this globalist view infects the society as it moves toward open borders and provides sanctuary to a criminal alien that assassinated their previous leader. There is also the subplot of a racist black militant, who was not born in the country, yet he uses dubious documentation (i.e., a tattoo) as his "birth certificate" to mount a coup; this coup is a vehicle for redistributing the country's resources around the world. Although this plan does not succeed, the sympathetic portrayal given to black nationalism and globalism shows a clear agenda.

Next: Sister Act

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Though I do not agree with the idea that one is a right wing and one a left wing ideoplogy as neither seems to fit that neatly into those particular boxes and I find the idea of right and left to be too simplistic and deceptive in describing an ideology, I will not quibble about it any further. Both are totalitarian ideologies. One is openly extremely nationalistic the other is extremely nationalistic in action but not in theory. Both deny individual rights in favor of collective rights. Both believe in the same social policies and government control of the economy. So if they are very different please be specific in detailing their how they differ in any significant way. Keep in mind that in practice both have been responsible for the murder of millions that they have decided to make scapegoats in order to demonize as a way to increase government control of dissent using envy and hate of those scapegoats to motivate their supporters.

If you go back to the definitions and descriptions of their inventors (such as the writings of Mussolini, Hitler, and the philosophers that informed them to find the definition and description of fascism and Marx and Engels to find the definition and description of Communism), there is one earmark of distinction that rises above political spin: Who makes the decisions?

If one living man is considered the embodiment of the will and character of the nation and makes the decisions of national direction, that's an earmark of fascism. If there is no one living man in that position--if it's done by committee--that's an earmark of Communism.

Thus, the "Democratic Republic" of North Korea certainly isn't a democracy or a republic, but isn't even Communist. It's fascist.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
If you go back to the definitions and descriptions of their inventors (such as the writings of Mussolini, Hitler, and the philosophers that informed them to find the definition and description of fascism and Marx and Engels to find the definition and description of Communism), there is one earmark of distinction that rises above political spin: Who makes the decisions?

If one living man is considered the embodiment of the will and character of the nation and makes the decisions of national direction, that's an earmark of fascism. If there is no one living man in that position--if it's done by committee--that's an earmark of Communism.

Thus, the "Democratic Republic" of North Korea certainly isn't a democracy or a republic, but isn't even Communist. It's fascist.

That has more to do with Maoism than fascism.

Fascists believe they are preserving a mythical past, even while using radical means to do so and embracing modernity in limited ways. Communists don't hold onto this illusion, their guiding ideology is scientific progress, often ruthlessly applied.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We got leading men:
Mel Gibson, Clin Eastwood, Bruce Willis, John Voight,m The Rock...

All your progressive press raved about the movies of Carig S Zahler and is probably one the most cretively free new filmmakers.

Every Clint Eastwood movie is a great investment...

American Sniper is made kmore money in the US than the Avengers...

I don't trust your experience.
For my own generation, we have none of them.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That has more to do with Maoism than fascism.

I'd say its fascism interpreted through Confucianism (which was the case with Maoism as well).

Fascists believe they are preserving a mythical past, even while using radical means to do so and embracing modernity in limited ways. Communists don't hold onto this illusion, their guiding ideology is scientific progress, often ruthlessly applied.

Agreed.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd say its fascism interpreted through Confucianism (which was the case with Maoism as well).

Agreed.

But Mao had the cultural revolution which was all about turning Confucian values on their heads. You had the "Three Olds" for instance, which in many ways was a mockery of traditional Chinese values. He was more like a Confucian anti-Christ, his vision for China was rooted more in scientific progress than dàtóng ("The Great Unity", the utopian Confucian vision of a just society based on reciprocal obligations, sort of the equivalent of the Hebrew prophets).

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But Mao had the cultural revolution which was all about turning Confucian values on their heads. You had the "Three Olds" for instance, which in many ways was a mockery of traditional Chinese values. He was more like a Confucian anti-Christ, his vision for China was rooted more in scientific progress than dàtóng ("The Great Unity", the utopian Confucian vision of a just society based on reciprocal obligations, sort of the equivalent of the Hebrew prophets).

We had started talking about North Korea, which had already developed its version before the Cultural Revolution. And the Cultural Revolution was not a continuation of early Maoism, but a refutation of early Maoism.

It was the Confucianist interpretation of Communism that led to the break between China and the USSR in the 50s. Following the death of Stalin, the USSR had rededicated itself to "classical" Communist leadership principles. Mao had been looking at Communism through Confucian goggles--which dictated that he should have taken over leadership of the Communist world.

Upvote 0

Sjatov's Avenging Angel

Mar 30, 2019
Kansas
✟13,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
I may live more than 20 years. And I may want to bequeath my property like anyone else.

But you propose a policy that can be applied to any union.
But if it's not popular it will likely stay that way...

But will it?

Theater has always been edgy, going all the way back to Shakespeare and even earlier to Euripedes (I mean, he made a play about a guy that marries his own mother!). It's not the acting profession's job to uphold a particular cultural vision. In fact the only people who really talk like this historically are fascists who believe art should only further their national mythology.

You think arts is edgy right now?

The are loads of Christian movies being made everyday: they are conservative.

Granted the quality is really low and very few people watch them but they are there.

Not good enough as far as i am concerned. Also there so much more to the right.

For my own generation, we have none of them.

There are 0 movie stars now. No one can open a blockbuster by his thespian presence alone.
We have the Rock, Scott Eastwood is coming up, Pratt...

And probably many more in hiding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But if it's not popular it will likely stay that way...

But will it?

If it's popular enough that any person, even one person, wants to use it, then they can pay me or my heirs for the use of it.

If nobody wants to use it, then it doesn't matter.

But I note this: The only people who are opposed to copyright or want to restrict copyright are those who want the liberty to appropriate someone else's creativity. Otherwise they wouldn't care.

Upvote 0

Sjatov's Avenging Angel

Mar 30, 2019
Kansas
✟13,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
If it's popular enough that any person, even one person, wants to use it, then they can pay me or my heirs for the use of it.

If nobody wants to use it, then it doesn't matter.

But I note this: The only people who are opposed to copyright or want to restrict copyright are those who want the liberty to appropriate someone else's creativity. Otherwise they wouldn't care.
Creativity...

Yes we would have more of that in the theatres if right now copyrights were shorter...

That is such a strawman.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Creativity...

Yes we would have more of that in the theatres if right now copyrights were shorter...

That is such a strawman.

There are 600 movies released in the US every year.

There is no reason to think there would be more creativity with shorter copyrights--there would just be more copying.

I don't think you know what a "strawman" is.

You leave my copyrights alone.

If you want to give your own stuff away, use Creative Commons.

But you leave my copyrights alone.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,081.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Creativity...

That is such a strawman.
Why would having shorter copyright in your opinion result in more creativity? I would think it's the exact opposite, because people wouldn't be able to just copy a famous movie from 20 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0