wildboar

Jan 1, 2009
Visit site
✟16,141.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
After working my way through various denominations and reading lots of theology I came to see the historic Lutheranism did the best job of affirming what the Bible affirms and denying what the Bible denies without trying to twist things to fit a theological system. Lutheran preaching and Biblical interpretation is also more Christ-centered than any other. Jesus said the Scriptures were about Him, not us, not national Israel, not anything else people throw in there as the center of their theology.

Upvote 0

BabyLutheran

God Chose Me
Dec 3, 2005
Virginia Beach
✟10,238.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
To be perfectly honest, after 10 years of happy-clappy, I wanted to become Eastern Orthodox or Roman Catholic, but my wife pitched such a big fit, so I compromised and found something we could both live with! She wanted happy-clappy still, and I wanted deeper, and Lutheranism was a good compromise.

Brutal honesty! lol

• Agree
Reactions: Newtheran
Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
[Sorry if this is a little too long.]

Why did you choose to be Lutheran?

I was raised a Baptist and all my family are still in that church. Over the last 20 years or so I had begun to question and have doubts about some points of Baptist theology. At times it seemed as though they were using elaborate work-arounds to try to make the bible fit their theology instead of making their theology fit the bible. Sometimes I thought that it was as if they were consciously trying to make the bible mean something different than what it plainly says even when it says the same thing in several different places.

(You can see good examples of this on sites like GotQuestions.org where they try to answer questions like "does the bible really say..." or "does the bible really mean ...")

The most egregious example in my opinion is the Baptist position on the 'age of accountability'. I grew to realize that it had absolutely no viable scriptural support, just vague notions, yet it formed a foundational part of their theology. I started to think that the only reason they held that position was because they needed it to fill a big hole in their theological construction. The trouble was, I didn't have anything to replace it with without tearing down a whole lot of other things in the process - 'believer's baptism', 'once saved always saved', etc. And yet that theology is what I had always been taught was correct by godly people.

In 2008 we decided to give homeschooling a try. It wasn't so much that we disliked the public schools in our town, but we wanted our three school-age children to study the bible and Christian history and we knew they couldn't get that there. It was difficult for my wife (we have two younger children as well) but the kids absolutely loved it.

A month into the school year my mother had a severe stroke that left her unable to walk or speak, and we feared at first that she would die. My mother had always been healthy and active, the heart of the family. It was very difficult for all of us, but it was the last straw for my wife and we knew something had to change. There is an LCMS elementary school in our town, and they were more than willing to accept our kids mid-term and even helped us with the tuition.

We thought that since the kids would be exposed to Lutheran theology at school we should probably check them out if only to be able to correct their possibly unscriptural theology at home. We made plans to visit the LCMS church and I started to read up on Lutheran theology.

When we walked into the church, it seemed to be very formal and ceremonial. The young associate pastor wore what looked like a white monk's robe, and the senior pastor wore a robe with a sort of white poncho over the top (it's called an alb). It was what I used to refer to as a 'piano and organ' church - no praise band or drum sets. What was really strange was that the choir and musicians were behind the congregation, up in a loft in the back. There were two pulpits (one is actually a lectern) that were on the sides instead of in the middle, and there was an elaborate altar in the very front under a beautiful stained-glass window of Christ kneeling in prayer. In the center of the altar is a large gold cross with Christ in the center (a Christ-triumphant crucifix). The people were friendly, and a good mix of professional and working class folks, all ages well represented.

When the service started it was immediately apparent that this was not our normal "youth group for adults". In my childhood I had visited the small Methodist church in my home town and recognized the style of worship through written prayers and responsive readings. The style here was similar but even more so, and I recognized many of the passages as being straight from the bible.

One concern for us had been that they might be theologically and culturally Liberal. We had heard that some Lutherans were very liberal indeed. The first Sunday we visited, however, happened to include a time of recognition and support for Lutherans for Life, a pro-life organization, and our fears were allayed. The value they obviously placed on scripture, the challenging yet comforting sermon, and the attitude of respect and reverence before God was incredibly refreshing to see after years in the pop-culture Evangelical churches we had been attending.

About half-way into the service my wife and I looked at each other and both whispered "This is really great!" with big smiles, surprisingly. We really liked what we had found and kept coming back for more. When the pastor announced the beginning of a new Adult Inquirer's class, we knew we wanted to go even though it was a serious commitment of time - every Sunday evening for 16 weeks. In this class we were taught the history of the church, how Lutheranism began, the basics of their doctrines and theology, how it was developed from scripture, and how it plays out in our everyday lives.

One thing that struck me is that Lutheran theology doesn't try to fit scripture into its own framework, but simply takes the bible at its word, thereby taking God at his word even if it doesn't always make sense to us. Lutheran theology is not afraid to say about certain things "We stop trying to explain this here because that's where the bible stops teaching." Lutherans are not afraid of mystery and paradox, simply because in scripture we plainly see mystery and paradox displayed. They let reason inform scripture, but do not attempt to let reason rule over scripture.

When the class was finished we were asked to prayerfully consider joining the church. We met with the pastors on several occasions for very open and honest conversations. Then, on May 9th, 2009, my wife and I were confirmed.

On that same Sunday this former life-long Baptist was overjoyed to see God place his Name on four of our five children through the waters of Holy Baptism. (Our oldest had already been baptized in the name of the Triune God in a Baptist church, which is also accepted as valid.) On Ascension Day (May 21st) my wife and I received for the first time the true body and blood of our Lord given and shed for us for the forgiveness of our sins through Holy Communion.

I firmly believe that we have found the most scriptural expression and most orthodox form of Christianity. After having learned how to rightly divide the word as God's Law and God's Gospel, how the entirety of scripture centered upon Christ, after having learned to view my life, others, and the world through the lens of the Cross of Christ, and after having experienced Almighty God coming to me personally through the sacraments he himself established, I know that I could never go back to the Baptist theology I was raised in.

One aspect of Lutheran Christianity that I especially appreciate is how the Theology of the Cross has helped me to cope with the suffering my mother has undergone and the state of reduced ability that she is now in. Getting my focus off trying to live the 'victorious Christian life' mostly under my own strength and refocusing my attention on Christ and how he is intimately familiar with the suffering we experience in this world has helped me immensely. Jesus said, "In this world you will have troubles, but take heart, I have overcome the world." (Jn 16:33b)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was born and raised lutheran as well, and from my experience with other churches I think this one's closest to my opinions about a true church. And besides, if you want to look at it in a practical way, it's easiest to be lutheran here as all other denominations hardly have any followers here and thus it would be hard to find fellowship from others from the congregation... So far denominations don't really make so much of a difference for me - I consider myself more a christian then a lutheran.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Enter a girl. Sorry, but it's not very spiritual!
"The Lord works in mysterious ways." ;)

Also, my first impulse was to answer: "Why did you choose to be a Lutheran?" with:

"We don't choose to be Lutheran, Lutheranism chooses us!" /jk ^_^

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forscher

Aug 2, 2009
Berlin, Germany
✟15,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The sacraments, the rich rituals/lithurgy (I attended Catholic school most of my life, I like the rituals, but not the doctrine; in Lutheran church I get both), how the theology focus in Christ, and all of my family and traditionally people of my tribe are baptised, confirmed, and married there. It perfectly fits.

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually, God chose for me. ;)

By God's grace, my parents were drawn to confessional Lutheranism and saw fit to make sure my sister and I were baptized and properly catechised. Of course, being the hard-headed wretch that I am, I had to reject all things resembling discipline put to me in my childhood as soon as I was out on my own. This led to a great deal of failure and pain, which I deserved for trying to outrun God and rejecting the simple truth of what became all but impossible to deny as time passed me by.....that only the grace of God, through Christ, makes us clean and that He alone is in control. Those are things I heard every time I was in a Lutheran church growing up and as I wandered out of the desert, I so willingly went into, no other place made it possible to understand what Christ does for us no matter how filthy we are.

See, I knew I was filthy, but had forgotten that there was One who didn't see me that way until I was reminded when I followed the Holy Spirit's lead back into the church of my childhood. Once I was reminded of the Gospel after being crushed by the law, I thanked God and my parents for raising me in the way I needed to go now that I'm, ahem, old! :p

Proverbs 22:6 (New King James Version)
Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.
The balance of Law and Gospel is so critical and when understood, makes it easy to understand why we need to hear both to be reminded of our sinful selves and Christ's sacrifice that alone washes us clean. No where else will you hear this consistently, properly presented as you will in confessional Lutheran churches. It may be a foreign concept to you, but one worth asking about. ;)

Now, apart from all that, I will honestly tell you that one of the most important aspects of my Lutheran background was that I was never made to feel as though any question I asked about Scripture or doctrine was out of bounds or that my way of thinking was bad. I might have been wrong, but I always felt as though the pastors instructing me were learned (quite key, that) and patient enough to be able to discuss and help me work through it and I had, and continue to have, an endless number of questions. I know that I am not going to get more Scripturally sound answers anywhere outside Lutheran doctrine, so here I am, by the merciful grace of God.

Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
PaladinGirl, I've seen and read through several of the similar posts you've made in other denom groups. These posts are some of the most interesting ones I've seen since coming to CF. It's a great idea. They would make nice stickies in their respective forums.

If you have any specific questions you would like to ask, doctrinal questions, etc., please feel free to ask. We readily welcome those who come here asking questions and replying respectfully.

It looks like you have an interest in the EO church. Would you like a brief comparison between EO and Lutheran doctrines?

Upvote 0

WildStrawberry

It's almost time....
Mar 25, 2005
Southwestern Ohio
✟11,160.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was born and raised Lutheran, I stay because of the emphasis on Word and Sacrament through the beautiful and ancient liturgies Lutheranism possesses.

Yeah, what he said! ;)

I was adopted by a Lutheran family. Mom was a Lutheran daughter of a Lutheran family of a Lutheran family...and so on through the ages. (Mom's Dad converted to Lutheranism from Methodist to be able to go to Church with my Grandma. He became even more Lutheran than she did! :D) Dad was a Lutheran son of a Lutheran family of a Lutheran family of a Lutheran family that became Lutheran from Judaism during the Great War. (they must have know what was coming!)

So we have a great history of Lutheranism in my family. Unfortunately, my sister and brothers have strayed. My sister attends a Catholic church so that my niece isn't "confused" (sisters ex husband is a "Catholic". Pretty much name only but he's such a control freak that he demanded Niece be raised Catholic. *I* am getting Niece a Faith Alive Bible for Christmas. heh heh heh) Younger brother attends a Southern Baptist church with his wife and my younger niece (who is my Goddaughter) was just re-baptized a couple of months ago. *sigh* I wasn't "allowed" to attend because brother's mother in law thought I'd cause a ruckus. As if. However, Niece 2 is ALSO getting a FA Bible for Christmas. (she attends our Church's day school and that's the Bible our Church gives to the 3rd graders in Sunday School on Rally Day.)

Older brother is just not attending anymore. I try to encourage him to come but...*sigh*

Other than that, I just love being a Lutheran. It makes the most sense out of any other denomination that I've studied (and comparative denominations is a hobby of mine!) so I feel no compelling reason to change.

Upvote 0

Archaenfel

Remonstrant Samurai Lutheran
Mar 11, 2009
FdL, WI
✟8,077.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
L.C.M.S.

Born into the denomination, became inactive after college, attended various minor churches, then the Presbytarians, before returning to the Synod.

I missed the solidity of the teaching as well as the earnest solemnity of the service. True, my church does the *happy clappy* service at 10:45, but the early service is for those of us preferring a more traditional foundation.

*Happy Clappy* hid within it a most dire theology that nearly drove me away from the faith: a glory-based theology which would turn me into a thing before God, rather than a child. I could not accept that, for it offered no hope.

Reactions: INeedGrace
Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
*Happy Clappy* hid within it a most dire theology that nearly drove me away from the faith: a glory-based theology which would turn me into a thing before God, rather than a child. I could not accept that, for it offered no hope.
I'd like to hear more about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
H

HereIstand.Todd

After working my way through various denominations and reading lots of theology I came to see the historic Lutheranism did the best job of affirming what the Bible affirms and denying what the Bible denies without trying to twist things to fit a theological system. Lutheran preaching and Biblical interpretation is also more Christ-centered than any other. Jesus said the Scriptures were about Him, not us, not national Israel, not anything else people throw in there as the center of their theology.

Ditto. This is the same way I feel after being in a couple different denominations. The Lutheran theology really does not try to make the bible fits its theology, it does not need to cause its true to the bible. :)

Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Located at the intersection of Forde and Giertz
Apr 26, 2006
MinneSO-TA. That's how they say it here, right?
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I was raised Lutheran. But I never left first because the liturgy meant so much and the community had a firm grasp of the nature of a loving and merciful God.

Then it was theologically cracked open for me in college and I could never sever myself from it if I wanted to. Not only are we theologically strong, but what works is that our theology is developed around human weakness. It is rooted in pastoral care. As a professor once said to me Luther was first and foremost a pastor and that comes out in his writings much more than other theologians of his time and I think it has affected the way we do theology compared to other traditions.

Pax

Upvote 0

LutheranChick

Jul 12, 2007
Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"The Lord works in mysterious ways." ;)

Also, my first impulse was to answer: "Why did you choose to be a Lutheran?" with:

"We don't choose to be Lutheran, Lutheranism chooses us!" /jk ^_^
That was my thought as well- only not kidding! God chose me to be a Lutheran. My Lutheran heritage goes back generations. Have I ever considered any other denomination? Not at all. The (confessional) Lutheran view of Law, Gospel, the Theology of the Cross, etc. is exactly right for me.

Upvote 0

Archaenfel

Remonstrant Samurai Lutheran
Mar 11, 2009
FdL, WI
✟8,077.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to hear more about that.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Well: since you asked ...

The fundamental basis of Glory Theology was that everything God does is for His own glory ... including mass destruction. This means that ( logically ), if it glorified God to have me roll off a bridge and die in a fireball then that is what is going to happen; glory be to God and I should praise him as the flesh melts away from my body.

Now me, I can't accept that. Things happen in a sinful world because God gave us freedom, and if He intercedes in every human tragedy that removes freedom from others. I do not believe, however, that God sat in divine contentment as the Romans fed the martyrs to the lions. That is not a God of love.

This is how Glory Theology struck me: God does all for Himself with no regard for us at all. We are the clay pots Paul spoke of, fit to be smashed with less thought than we would give to walking down a street. Glory Be To God!

I struggle enough with my faith right now ... moreso because tomorrow is my last day of work with no prospects for the future. I have prayed and prayed to be spared from being a burden to others or worse - and so far my prayers have gone unanswered, or answered with a big fat NO!

With what I am struggling with today, could you imagine what I would be feeling if I felt that it was possible that God was grinding my life down to powder just to honor Himself in some inconcievable way? When one considers that I can come up with a dozen ways to kill myself with most of them being painless ( especially when I get bored ), it's really not a good thing for me to think that God isn't listening ... or worse.

Upvote 0