• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Why did we need to be created free?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Sink' started by VCR-2000, Jun 29, 2021.

1. VCR-2000

VCR-2000 Well-Known Member

+240
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Why do humans need their free will? If Christians are about serving and following the will of God and God only, would it really make things that different for them if God actually made us all robots? I think the "choice" only describes following God or spiritually being dead. Its analogous to the person holding a gun to my head: "obey me or else" and God doesn't have to actually put us in the other place. We apparently choose Hell ourselves but how is that any tangibly different? Its irrelevant either way.

In that way it's similar to how dictator states on earth like North Korea and China operate. You are free to criticise my regime or not, but if you do criticise and rebel against me you will go to the slave camp.

Frankly, if he made us all his robots after all, it might not be so bad.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,045
    Christian
    Married
    I believe that God gifts those that choose Him with eternal life with Him. Those that don't choose Him naturally die and pass off of the scene. Such is the witness of the preponderance of scripture.

We could only make that choice as free agents.

It is analogous to a woman's acceptance of a suitor's offer of marriage. She, then, gets to share in all that is his ...

3. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,045
    Christian
    Married

4. sandman

sandman Senior Member

+375
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Constitution
    I don't know ....If I were God (which I am not, just in case you are wondering)
    I would have possessed everyone and made them believe

5. VCR-2000

+240
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    There are too many riddles and paradoxes in nature too. I suspect that we were born here with this nature... only for us to have to learn this isn't our ideal home and nature after all. We could have just been born directly in his kingdom without this "gotcha" thing.

6. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+20,148
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    We pretend to be rational and thoughtful but we are mostly acting on instinct. So we aren't really all the free.

7. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Simul Justus et Peccator Supporter

+42,907
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Hello @VCR-2000, there are many adjectives in the Bible that describe God, but only three nouns, and one of those nouns is "love". "God is love" .. e.g. 1 John 4:16.

God made us in His image (Genesis 1:26-27) so that we would be like Him and could relate to Him (and He to us). And a big part of being like Him involves "love", loving Him and loving others, and that requires choice, because we cannot choose to "love" someone if we do not have the choice not to.

You could, for instance, buy a toy doll that says, "I love you", each and every time that you pull the string that's attached to it's back, but does anyone believe that such a doll actually means what it says ;)

God created us and chose to love us and, AMAZINGLY, wants to have a real, loving relationship with us. He could have made us like that doll that I just described above, but if He had, we would not have been able to love Him, we could only do what we were pre-programmed to do whenever He pulled our string.

--David

8. com7fy8

com7fy8 Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,208
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    A robot moves but is dead.

God made us "alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins" (in Ephesians 2:1). So, while we lived in our own free wills, we were "dead".

9. Eftsoon

Eftsoon Well-Known Member

+385
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Love is intrinsically free. It's intersubjective. It requires free wills in relationship. Otherwise, it's not love.

10. Sunshinee777

Sunshinee777 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,307
    Finland
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Good question.
    I don't know if this answers your question but my own experience was that I felt "robot" and dead before I met Jesus. So, Jesus gave me life and I follow Him because I love Him. Because He makes me feel good. Because for me there is no life without Jesus. So I don't see connection between political tyranny and relationship with God. There is huge difference.

11. Robban

Robban ----------- Supporter

+2,432
    Sweden
    Judaism
    Divorced
    Free to choose.

As He the Almighty is free to choose and make happen whatever He desires,

so too are we free to choose in and with the statement;

Genesis 1:26,

the angels were not intressted so they made no comment.

Therefore, Genesis 1:27.

Which will say,

In His image-Free will, ability to reason, sense of morality

In that way we cannot blame,

Anyone or anything.

12. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,910
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Or what about keeping free will, but barring the serpent from the garden instead?

13. VCR-2000

+240
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Satan has already got what he wanted for the world and that is the destruction of everything. But instead of God undoing it, he is going to do a different plan that is so different that we shouldn't even comprehend it based on our idea of good vs. evil. It's still not fair.

14. Sunshinee777

Sunshinee777 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,307
    Finland
    Pentecostal
    Single
    God is always fair.

15. Ligurian

Ligurian Matthew 24:14 Disciple

+172
    United States
    Protestant
    Private
    Free will makes us accountable. In the Old Testament, God tested them... some things never change.