Why Did the Grinch Want To Steal Christmas?

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you, tulc. I have not seen it in a while. :doh:

Love his little reindeer horns tied onto his poor little head! :)
max.jpg

Upvote 0

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thinking about it, Mr. Grinch was all bent out of shape, if possible, because of all the noise of celebration coming from Whoville.

Not being into racket of the noise kind, this I can understand. One wonders, if just once a year, Mr. Grinch could have pushed a big rock at his cave door and retreated into the innermost part of his cave and stopped up his ears, or whatever.

He seemed a mite reptilian, he should have been hibernating, too.

As the case was, the Whoville Christmas was just more than he could abide. And doncha have to wonder HOW many years or decades or centuries this had already been going on? The story has it that this was his first such search and destroy mission.

But we are unable to discern just how much prior forbearance and self-restraint he had already been forced to exercise.

Alas, enough was enough. Time to whack out a crude Santa suit, paste on the whiskers, and antler up poor Max.

Let us face it, Max just makes Mr. Grinch look his worst, at best.

Of course, there was a genuine jumbo sled back there in the cave. Did Mr. Grinch ever have good times on it, just swooching down the mountain sides?

Another credit to Mr. Grinch, he actually surgically removed all the Christmas goodies and did not immediately go off and dump them into a crevasse.

He really ENJOYED gathering up all that great stuff!!! He could have scared the daylights out of little Cindy Lou, who was only two, but instead warmly and gently explained the tree light problem and that old Santy was even willing to take the entire tree back to his workshop to fix it.

So he sent her back to her bed with her cup of water and the unsullied reputation of one of the finest old gentleman she could ever have hoped for as her own Santa Claus.

Back to the peak top, to gloat and relish, never mind a full night's feverish work.

Yes, the Christmas Dawn still brought joy to Whoville, with the hand in hand and with the singing and singing.

After a bit of a tiny mishap, Mr. Grinch, without a flinch, gave that dangling sled a mighty wrench......and saved the day.

Max got his big ride, like he had wanted from the first plus a share of roasted beast from the tiny hand of little Miss Cindy Lou, who was only two.

Why did the Grinch want to steal Christmas? Simply because he did not understand anything about the nature of happiness. He had nothing to base it upon.

The End

Sorry, Mr. Karloff.

:blush:

Grinch.jpg

Upvote 0

ladyt28

God's Grace Fills My Life
Jun 12, 2007
Michigan
✟37,455.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As a fan of Boris Karloff, I enjoy the Grinch Who Stole Christmas every year. His narrative voice belies his roles in horror movies.

But I just wondered how others think about this perennial favorite? What is the (humorous) message?

:idea:
He was jealous of the fellowship and love he saw in the town and believed that all of the trappings associated with Christmas were the things that made people happy....or, the horror of loosing the STUFF!! Oh No!!:swoon:

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Why did the Grinch want to steal Christmas? Simply because he did not understand anything about the nature of happiness. He had nothing to base it upon.

That's interesting - so we have to be taught how to be happy?

Never thought of that, but have used that premise for other scenarios (i.e you should see a good, stable marriage in order to have one), but never thought of it for happiness.

Upvote 0

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's interesting - so we have to be taught how to be happy?

Never thought of that, but have used that premise for other scenarios (i.e you should see a good, stable marriage in order to have one), but never thought of it for happiness.

It seems to me that happiness is something that arises within us, after all, one does not need to be taught laughter.

It is like spirit that rises to meet a higher spirit of gladness and goodness.

Children understand this very well, I think. They are not taught happiness, they are simply allowed to embrace joy. They already came with the capacity.

But I think that one can definitely unlearn happiness, can go on certain paths that will show them, falsely, that all good things are not reality.

This is known as practicing being negative.
Just as in being joyous that you want to share, one also insists that others share one's own misery and disillusionment.

Christian faith and hope can avoid that.

:sigh:

Upvote 0

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
so the grinch learned unhappiness?

I'm not trying to be difficult - I just want to be sure I understand what you're saying with your comment he didn't understand the nature of happiness because he had nothing to base it on.

It seemed to me to have been the character of his withdrawal to a high place which was apart from others living near by.

He lived apart from those who savored happiness. He was the Grinch, and if you paid attention to the song sung about him, I think you would agree that he had about his person few charms, indeed.

:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
As a fan of Boris Karloff, I enjoy the Grinch Who Stole Christmas every year. His narrative voice belies his roles in horror movies.

But I just wondered how others think about this perennial favoite? What is the (humorous) message?

He had to steal it because he didn't have it, already. He was jealous and angry. He didn't have the love or happiness that characterized Christmas, and he didn't want anyone else to have it, either.

My favorite line is ....................... heck, the whole thing is my favorite! And it proves that God is a Calvinist. ;)

Upvote 0

sageoffools

Poster of wit, widsom and wiffelry
Aug 27, 2007
Confusion, US
✟16,347.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I always thought the Grinch was perhaps an outcast from Whoville, a bit like Gollum from Lord of the Rings.
Perhaps he wanted to steal Christmas from all the Whos in Whoville because they had stolen it from him when he was younger. :cry:

Upvote 0

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I always thought the Grinch was perhaps an outcast from Whoville, a bit like Gollum from Lord of the Rings.
Perhaps he wanted to steal Christmas from all the Whos in Whoville because they had stolen it from him when he was younger. :cry:

Actually, it is pretty clear that Mr. Grinch had always been apart from Whoville, as there were never seen other Grinchy Gollums who were not outcasts.

It also it pretty clear that, according to the theme song all about the character and traits of Mr. Grinch, that was just his nature and no mention of any prior trauma caused to him by anyone.

It would be difficult, indeed, to build a case of cruelty and exile against the Who's. Don't you think?

Upvote 0

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
;)
The Grinch's Song

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch
You really are a heel,
You're as cuddly as a cactus, you're as charming as an eel, Mr. Grinch,
You're a bad banana with a greasy black peel!

You're a monster, Mr. Grinch,
Your heart's an empty hole,
Your brain is full of spiders, you have garlic in your soul, Mr. Grinch,
I wouldn't touch you with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole!

You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch,
You have termites in your smile,
You have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile, Mr. Grinch,
Given a choice between the two of you I'd take the seasick crocodile!

You're a rotter, Mr. Grinch,
You're the king of sinful sots,
Your heart's a dead tomato splotched with moldy purple spots, Mr. Grinch,
You're a three decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich with arsenic sauce!

You nauseate me, Mr. Grinch,
With a nauseous super "naus"!,
You're a crooked dirty jockey and you drive a crooked hoss, Mr. Grinch,
Your soul is an appalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful
assortment of rubbish imaginable mangled up in tangled up knots!

You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch,
You're a nasty wasty skunk,
Your heart is full of unwashed socks, your soul is full of gunk, Mr. Grinch,
The three words that best describe you are as follows, and I quote,
"Stink, stank, stunk"!

http://www.carolingcorner.com/grnsng.html

:eek:

:swoon:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Perhaps it was because his parents abandoned him in a cave in the mountains!
I don't think you learn very good manners from an abominable snowman.
It was his parents fault!

so glad I put my glass down before I read this post - otherwise there would be diet coke all over my computer screen.

Upvote 0

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Coolio! :)

My favorite line is "I wouldn't touch you with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole!" LOL. I have used that line in quite a few discussions (slightly edited).

Upvote 0

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it was because his parents abandoned him in a cave in the mountains!
I don't think you learn very good manners from an abominable snowman.
It was his parents fault!

Manners may not be a priority if one can just be elusive enough.

The parents in Whoville seem to be the best!

;)

Upvote 0