Why did Jesus tell the disciples to buy a sword?

mighty2save

Live like an Arminian; Sleep like a Calvinist
Supporter
May 14, 2011
In the Rain
✟22,813.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
The land they were populating at the time was full of barren beasts and wild animals, this is most likely what the swords were to be used for. Another view is that the sword in Luke refers to not a literal sword but the sword of the gospel/his word. Yet, another view is that this whole verse is almost like sarcasm in them being told that "sure two swords will totally protect you".

I think and most scholars believe it is the first use, that the sword was to be used for wild animals and beast.

Upvote 0

childofdust

May 18, 2010
✟2,177.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
So why do you think that Jesus told the disciples to buy a sword? (Luke 22:36-38)

Since in other places we are told not to use a sword (Matthew 26:52; Revelation 13:10).

Yeshua also commanded Judas Iscariot What you are going to do, do quickly (John 13:27, ESV). Why would Yeshua tell Judas iscariot to turn away from him and betray him when elsewhere he tells people to follow and believe in him?

I think Luke 22:37 provides the answer to both questions: that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, . . . the things concerning me have an end (KJV).

Yeshua knew what was coming for him if he continued in the way of his Father (sword and betrayal). Instead of running from obedience to YHWH because of the consequences of doing so, he willingly brought the consequences of his obedience (sword and betrayal) upon himself. This shows us that Yeshua not only knew that suffering and sacrifice were the way of YHWH for himself (and thus for us who follow him), but that he CHOSE that way apart from any force or coercion.

I hope that if I am ever at the point where standing in my faith will mean my destruction, that I can boldly say to my persecutor "Do as you will, for so shall I."

Upvote 0
M

Michael Snow

Yes, I think the idea of the fullfilment of Scripture is the primary focus of the text;

Here is something that I wrote on it:

Two other episodes turned against a pacifist position hinge on the ridiculous. Wobbling in first comes that puzzling and obscure passage where Jesus instructs his disciples, if not already possessing one, to buy a sword (Luke 22:36). How quickly we grab anything to condone warfare in the presence of Him who called on us not to resist! If, though, we have the courtesy to give this passage the attention it deserves, one thing stands out. The command to buy a sword leads directly into Jesus’ concern with the fulfillment of the Scripture saying that he would be considered a dangerous criminal – the charge brought against him which led to the Roman crucifixion. This “pro-sword” argument’s absurdity displays itself in the incident’s conclusion. The disciples produce two swords and Jesus replies, “it is enough!” This reply’s wording, especially in the New English Bible, implies this “enough” may have been wholly or partially a rebuke to his disciples for again not understanding his meaning. Obviously they did not understand when later in the garden the probability arises that it was one of these swords which was defensively raised. This instrument draws blood. The wielder incurs Jesus’ rebuke. Looking at the life of this swordsman, you will never find any indication he ever desired to pick up his weapon again. As for the sufficiency of two swords, this makes it obvious that Jesus really did not mean that all who had no sword should purchase one. From whichever angle we approach this passage, no support for a militaristic position hobbles forth.

From Christian Pacifism: Fruit of the Narrow Way.

It was published years ago by Friends United Press. Yesterday, it became available as an ebook at both Amazon and Barnes and Noble....thus I had the quote handy at my finger tips!

Upvote 0
M

Michael Snow

Here is what one highly respected commentary says:

I. Howard Marshall, one of the most eminent, evangelical NT scholars, notes that this passage, "brings to a climax the misunderstanding and earthly mindedness of the disciples which has already figured three times in the dialogue..." (New International Greek Testament Commentary).

Re: v. 38, "the point is lost on the disciples who continue to fail to understand...They point out to the Master that they already have swords...But Jesus replies, 'It is enough'....It is most probable that this simply means, 'That's enough (sc. of this conversation)' and is meant as a rebuke....But the words have been taken in other ways: ironically: "Two swords will be enough, sc. to fulfill the prophecy and to make us look like brigands'...

Whatever the interpretation, it is obvious that if two swords are sufficient, then Jesus did NOT mean that everyone should buy a sword

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eastern Drifter

Oct 19, 2011
the Ages of Ages
✟16,361.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
To punish the wicked.

This was a foreshadowing to the world we live in today, where we must prove ourselves to God by punishing the wicked.

We must not become reliant on prayer and become weak because of it, we must act by his example.

Excusez-moi? :scratch:

Upvote 0

Mick116

Jul 14, 2004
✟8,869.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yet, another view is that this whole verse is almost like sarcasm in them being told that "sure two swords will totally protect you".

To punish the wicked.

This was a foreshadowing to the world we live in today, where we must prove ourselves to God by punishing the wicked.

We must not become reliant on prayer and become weak because of it, we must act by his example.
Seems someone shares our Saviour's sarcasm.

Reactions: RuthD
Upvote 0

SoulBap6

Sep 12, 2011
✟8,358.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Luke 22:35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
[36] Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

The lesson Jesus Christ is teaching is about faith, he sent them out, they had no protection, or Money and they didn't need anything, Yet at this time they have money so they need protection for their money.

Jesus is telling them to have faith, don't trust in the world, trust in me.

Upvote 0

DanJudge

Jun 17, 2006
✟9,491.00
Faith
Christian
So why do you think that Jesus told the disciples to buy a sword? (Luke 22:36-38)

Since in other places we are told not to use a sword (Matthew 26:52; Revelation 13:10).

57Logos/Brothers/Sisters, This is why HE told HIS disciples to buy a SWORD.
This is part of a chapter Revelation chapter 10 --- of that "Little Book".

VERSES OF REVOLUTION AND OF THE WRATH OF THE LAMB

JAMES 5:1-6

1 On your way now, rich ones --- weep, howling, for your miseries that are coming!
2 Your riches are deteriorated and your garments are moth-eaten;
3 Your gold and silver are corroded and their poison shall be a witness against you and shall consume your flesh like fire --- that is what you have treasured up --- in the last days.
4 Behold, the pay due to the workers who have reaped your lands, which has been retained by you, calls out; and the cries of the harvesters have entered into the ears of the Lord of hosts.
5 You have lived in luxury and self-indulgence on the earth; you have pampered yourselves in the day of slaughter;
6 You have condemned, you have murdered, the righteous people when they weren’t even opposing you.

LUKE 1:51-53

51 “He shall perform might with his arm; He shall scatter those who are arrogant in the thoughts of their hearts;
52 “He shall drag the mighty down from the thrones and shall raise up the lowly;
53 “He shall fill the hungry with good things, but the rich shall He send away empty.”

PSALM 149:5-9

5 Let the saints rejoice in glory; let them sing even upon their beds.
6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth and a two-edged sword in their hand
7 To execute vengeance among the nations, chastisements among the peoples ---
8 Even to bind their kings with chains and their honorable ones with bands of iron
9 To execute upon them the judgment written. This is an honor for all his saints. Praise the LORD!

REVELATION 18:4-7

4 And I heard another voice out of Heaven saying, “Come out of her, My people, so that you do not share in her sins and do not receive any of her plagues;
5 “Because her sins have become joined together reaching to Heaven, and God has remembered her unrighteousness.
6 “Give her back what she has herself given and pay back double according to her works; in the same cup that she has herself mixed mix for her a double portion;
7 “To the same degree that she has arrogated to herself glory and luxury give her that much torment and grief!”

REVELATION 6:10

10And they cried out with a loud voice saying, “Until when, O Lord, O holy and true one, will You not judge and exact vengeance for our blood from those who dwell on the earth?”

REVELATION 18:20

20 “Rejoice over her, O Heaven, and you saints and apostles and prophets, for God has exacted vengeance from her for you!”

MATTHEW 13:24-30, 36-43

24 He set another parable before them saying, “The Kingdom of Heaven can be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field.
25 “But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat and went away.
26 “But when the blades sprouted and produced fruit, then the weeds appeared also.
27 “The servants of the householder approached and said to him. ‘Lord, was it not good seed that you sowed in your field? Where then did it acquire weeds from?’
28 “He said to them, ‘An enemy did this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Would you want us then to go and gather them ?’
29 “He said, No, because while gathering the weeds you might uproot the wheat together with them.
30 “ ‘Let them both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of the harvest I will say to the harvesters: “Gather the weeds first and tie them into bundles in order to burn them; but gather the wheat into my barn.” ” ”

36 Then, having dismissed the crowds, He came into the house. And His disciples approached Him saying, Clarify the parable of the weeds of the field for us.”
37 And He answered saying, “The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man.
38 “The field is the world. The good seed, these are the children of the Kingdom; and the weeds are the children of the evil one.
39 “The enemy who sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the conclusion of the age; and the harvesters are messengers.
40 “Therefore, just as the weeds are gathered and burned in the fire, so will it occur at the conclusion of this age.
41 “The Son of Man will send his messengers, and they will gather out of His Kingdom all who function as stumbling blocks and who are the cause of unrighteousness;
42 “And they will throw them into the furnace of fire, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.
43 “Then the righteous will shine forth like the sun in the Kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears, let him listen to this.”

--- Translated by Barry I. Hyman
CHRISTIAN REVOLUTIONARY BROTHERHOOD

Peace Be With You All
DanJudge

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Viren

Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Seattle
✟38,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The answer is in the scripture.

Luke 22:37

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’[a]; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

He asked them to carry swords so that the prophesy would be fulfilled and he would be marked with the transgressors. Simon Peter later transgressed by cutting off the ear of the guard.

Upvote 0
T

Theofane

When Jesus told His disciples to buy a sword, I think it it had something to do with the authority with which He was imbuing them. Although in Luke 22:36 Jesus says:

"He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

And when the Roman soldiers were coming to arrest Jesus in John 18:10-12:

"Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)
Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”

This last quotation from John indicates that Peter had and used a very real, very literal sword to wound the high priest's servant.

So maybe when Jesus told His disciples to go buy swords, it was not a figure of speech. Maybe He intended for them to buy actual weapons. To defend themselves and their Master? Maybe.

Reactions?

Upvote 0

dana b

Dec 8, 2009
✟11,243.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He was saying unto them "establish the Christian nations." He said "ye which have followed me will sit upon 12 thrones." Matt.19;28

The two swords, script, purse that were now to be carried were the first and primary instructions for the lost tribes of Israel and the Gentiles(Europeans) to begin the "times of the Gentiles" and build up Christian nations. These are the impliments of governmental authority. Over time nations whos court of laws were established on Christian principles would be established. Of these it speaks in Revelation.

"And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it." Rev.21;24

Upvote 0

SwordoftheLord

Defender of the Faith
Mar 23, 2009
✟18,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The swords were for the founding of the European Christian Nations over the next 2000 years.(times of the Gentiles) One sword was for each millennium. By them did the Christian govenments rule.

heard this once before but disagree

Upvote 0