Why did Jesus teach Tanakh was sufficient for salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahiggs

Aug 4, 2008
Carthage Missouri
✟8,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
See the story about Rich man & Lazarus. Why did Jesus teach that the Law and Prophets were sufficient for salvation?
because he knew that no man could keep it and that it would bring light to his sin
Why did he state that resurrection from the dead would not convince a person who rejected the OT? Is not the NT then icing on the cake?
not sure i quite understand what you are asking?

Upvote 0

RTE (Road to Emmaus)

Jul 11, 2008
✟881.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
See the story about Rich man & Lazarus. Why did Jesus teach that the Law and Prophets were sufficient for salvation?
Because they spoke of Him. Have you never read that "the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy"?

Why did he state that resurrection from the dead would not convince a person who rejected the OT? Is not the NT then icing on the cake?
The NT is hidden in the OT. Thus Paul tells us at 1 Cor 3 that the veil over the Jews which stops them from seeing Christ in the OT, is removed once they come to Christ.
Note then that he whose vail was removed every time he entered the inner court of the tabernacle to speak with God, is said to have preferred the reproach of Christ to the pleasures of the world.

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
See the story about Rich man & Lazarus. Why did Jesus teach that the Law and Prophets were sufficient for salvation? Why did he state that resurrection from the dead would not convince a person who rejected the OT? Is not the NT then icing on the cake?

The truth is, the Law and the Prophets could save a person, provided they kept it perfectly, 100% of the time. Problem is, only One could do so, which was Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Remember that if one is guilty of one transgression of the Law, they are guilty of transgressing the whole Law? And once done, they could no longer keep it perfectly, because of that transgression. Thus, the Law and the Prophets pointed to Jesus, because only God could keep God's Law, and Jesus came to fulfill the Law, to reconcile His Bride to Himself. Jesus did what we could not, that we could be what we were not, Children of God, and joint-heirs with Christ.

Upvote 0

marktheblake

Aug 20, 2008
The Great South Land of the Holy Spirit
Visit site
✟16,359.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The thief on the cross simply asked "remember me" and he was saved. Jesus healed the paralysed man because of the faith of his freinds that lowered him through the roof.

I am not so sure what is the minimum needed for salvation :)

Upvote 0

themuzicman

Oct 1, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟16,385.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
OK. then the NT is the icing.

I would say that the NT is the indirect exposition of the New Covenant (thus the name "New Testament".) The OT pointed to a New Covenant and to the coming of the Messiah. The NT is the narrative of how the New Covenant came about, the teachings of the High Priest of that New Covenant, and the recording of how that New Covenant is to be understood and lived out from those who saw and were taught by Christ.

Muz

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.