✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Why?

What was the reason(s) for the death and resurrection of Christ?

Looking for input from other members to learn about this important subject so post freely.

If your Theology is based on scripture please quote it if possible.

I'm non-denominational so if your view comes from a denomination I would be interested to know the source.

Many Thanks.

Daniel.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why?

What was the exact reason(s) for the death and resurrection of Christ?
What is written in God's Word ?

God always fulfills His Word.

It is possible that to "know" (the exact reason(s)) is beyond the grasp of humans. Definitely
only those to whom the Father reveals it will ever know correctly.

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi daniel,

Straight from Scripture. Jesus died for the forgiveness of sin. He gave his life as a ransom for many.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Hi Ted

Yeah I read that and still had further thoughts regarding it.

Who do you think the ransom was paid to?

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The wages of sin is death. God required blood sin offerings, the blood of animals as substitute blood for recompense. Jesus was the spotless sin offering.

Hi Ted

Yeah I read that and still had further thoughts regarding it.

Who do you think the ransom was paid to?
Paid on our behalf to God the righteous judge provided we accept the gift in faith.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why?

Looking for input from other members to learn about this important subject so post freely.

If your Theology is based on scripture please quote it if possible.

I'm non-denominational so if your view comes from a denomination I would be interested to know the source.

Many Thanks.

Daniel.
I will start with Ro. 3:25

Paul in Ro. 3:25 giving the extreme contrast between the way sins where handle prior to the cross and after the cross, so if they were actually handled the same way “by the cross” there would be no contrast, only a time factor, but Paul said (forgiven) sins prior to the cross where left “unpunished” (NIV), but that also should mean the forgiven “sinner” after the cross were punished.

From Romans 3: 25 Paul tells us: God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. …

Another way of saying this would be “God offers the ransom payment (Christ Crucified and the blood that flowed from Him) to those that have the faith to receive that ransom. A lack of faith results in the refusal of the ransom payment (Christ crucified).

God is not the undeserving kidnapper nor is satan, but the unbeliever is himself is holding back the child of God from the Father, that child that is within every one of us.

Paul goes on to explain:

Ro. 3: 25 …He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished

I do not like the word “unpunished” but would use “undisciplined”.

So prior to the cross repentant forgiven people (saved individuals) could not be fairly and justly disciplined for the rebellious disobedience, but after the cross if we repent (come to our senses and turn to God) we can be fairly and justly disciplined and yet survive.

God and Christ would have personally preferred Christ’s blood to remain flowing through his veins, but it is I that need to have that blood outside of Christ flowing over me and in me cleansing my heart. I need to feel that blood and know it is cleansing me.

If you think about the crucifixion, you would realize, at the time Christ was on the cross, God in heaven out of empathy/Love for Christ would be experience an even greater pain than Christ. We as our Love grows and our realization of what we personally caused Christ to go through will feel the death blow to our hearts (Acts 2:37). We will experience the greatest pain we could experience and still live, which is the way God is disciplining us today and for all the right reasons because Loving discipline correctly accepted results in a wondrous relationship with our parents. (We can now comfortably feel justified before God.)

Is God blood thirsty requiring innocent blood in order to have the power to forgive?

From Christ’s pray in the Garden it would appear Christ personally desired His blood remain flowing through His veins, so would God out of empathy for Christ also personally desire Christ’s blood to remain in His veins?

Who is needing and desiring Christ’s blood to leave His body?

“John 6: 53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them”

I really want life in Christ, eternal life, and having Christ live in and through me, so I am blood thirsty.

I need to believe, realize and even physically feel Christ’s blood, out of His body available for me, to have it (in the form of wine) flow down my throat and over my heart, cleansing my heart and making it holy.

The blood of animals could only outwardly cleanse temple objects and people, but Jews could not drink animal blood, since it would do nothing for them.

God made and emphasized nasty blood to be the source of cleansing, so when I physically drink Christ’s blood symbolically in the form of wine, I can experience a cleansing.

Justification and justified is not an Old Testament word used to ever describe a righteous person, but the New Testament (especially Paul and especially in Romans) use it a lot to describe the way Christians are to be before God, so how does that “happen”?

What does it take for a previous repeatedly rebellious disobedient child to comfortably stand next to their parents (feeling justified)?

What does it take for a former criminal, who has repented of his former behavior, to comfortably stand before a Judge feeling now justified before the judge?

Could you really feel “justified” before your parents, if your older brother took the punishment/discipline you fully deserved in your stead?

Jesus did physically go to the cross, so you do not have to physically go to the cross so in that respect there is “substitution”, but is it penal substitution?

If you are not truly fairly/justly discipline by your Loving Parents, how can you truly know they are your Loving Parents?

Crucifixion is not the payment punishment for your sins, since your sins are way beyond any payment method, but God’s Love is great enough to forgive those sins. Crucifixion is just/fair discipline for your sins and you can be crucified, by being crucified with Christ (similar to the experience God had while Christ was on the cross and to be remembered every time you take the Lord’s Supper).

Yes, Christ crucifixion is described by Christ, Peter, Paul, John and the Hebrew writer as a literal ransom payment, but God is not the unworthy kidnapper and satan is not holding the child out of the Kingdom, so who is hold the child back?

When you talk to the nonbeliever: you do not pray to satan to take the ransom payment and let this child enter the kingdom, but you do try to get the nonbeliever to accept Jesus Christ and Him crucified, which is the literal ransom payment and if he accepts a child goes to the Father.

Briefly: Christ going to the cross provide me a way to be crucified (being crucified with Him) and still live. I want to be crucified (disciplined) by my parent God for all the benefits Loving discipline provides.

Yes! Christ went through the punishment for sin, but that was so I could go through the punishment for sin and not to do it in my stead.

The reason unbelievers do not have their sins atoned for is because they do not allow themselves to be crucified with Christ (part of the atonement process.

To understand “atonement” for sins, we need to understand what the sinner went through for really minor sins (unintentional sins) in Lev. 5 to know the part we play and the experience we are to have.

Much more can be said.

• Useful
Reactions: Daniel C
Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The wages of sin is death. God required blood sin offerings, the blood of animals as substitute blood for recompense. Jesus was the spotless sin offering.

Paid on our behalf to God the righteous judge provided we accept the gift in faith.

Yes,And without Christ there would be no one to put our faith in.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Another reason to consider as well that I haven't seen here yet...

Hebrews 10, starting in verse 1 and following.

Actually, the whole book of Hebrews gives a bunch of reasons.

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if it's real blood or symbolic at the last super. If it is real I'm sure it would be Holy and cleansing.

So the crucifixion and resurrection was an act of propitiation. We are sinful by nature but God rescued us through the cross with Christ.

I ask because I've heard the saying "Jesus died for our sins" but that doesn't really explain much without context.

I will start with Ro. 3:25

Paul in Ro. 3:25 giving the extreme contrast between the way sins where handle prior to the cross and after the cross, so if they were actually handled the same way “by the cross” there would be no contrast, only a time factor, but Paul said (forgiven) sins prior to the cross where left “unpunished” (NIV), but that also should mean the forgiven “sinner” after the cross were punished.

From Romans 3: 25 Paul tells us: God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. …

Another way of saying this would be “God offers the ransom payment (Christ Crucified and the blood that flowed from Him) to those that have the faith to receive that ransom. A lack of faith results in the refusal of the ransom payment (Christ crucified).

God is not the undeserving kidnapper nor is satan, but the unbeliever is himself is holding back the child of God from the Father, that child that is within every one of us.

Paul goes on to explain:

Ro. 3: 25 …He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished

I do not like the word “unpunished” but would use “undisciplined”.

So prior to the cross repentant forgiven people (saved individuals) could not be fairly and justly disciplined for the rebellious disobedience, but after the cross if we repent (come to our senses and turn to God) we can be fairly and justly disciplined and yet survive.

God and Christ would have personally preferred Christ’s blood to remain flowing through his veins, but it is I that need to have that blood outside of Christ flowing over me and in me cleansing my heart. I need to feel that blood and know it is cleansing me.

If you think about the crucifixion, you would realize, at the time Christ was on the cross, God in heaven out of empathy/Love for Christ would be experience an even greater pain than Christ. We as our Love grows and our realization of what we personally caused Christ to go through will feel the death blow to our hearts (Acts 2:37). We will experience the greatest pain we could experience and still live, which is the way God is disciplining us today and for all the right reasons because Loving discipline correctly accepted results in a wondrous relationship with our parents. (We can now comfortably feel justified before God.)

Is God blood thirsty requiring innocent blood in order to have the power to forgive?

From Christ’s pray in the Garden it would appear Christ personally desired His blood remain flowing through His veins, so would God out of empathy for Christ also personally desire Christ’s blood to remain in His veins?

Who is needing and desiring Christ’s blood to leave His body?

“John 6: 53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them”

I really want life in Christ, eternal life, and having Christ live in and through me, so I am blood thirsty.

I need to believe, realize and even physically feel Christ’s blood, out of His body available for me, to have it (in the form of wine) flow down my throat and over my heart, cleansing my heart and making it holy.

The blood of animals could only outwardly cleanse temple objects and people, but Jews could not drink animal blood, since it would do nothing for them.

God made and emphasized nasty blood to be the source of cleansing, so when I physically drink Christ’s blood symbolically in the form of wine, I can experience a cleansing.

Justification and justified is not an Old Testament word used to ever describe a righteous person, but the New Testament (especially Paul and especially in Romans) use it a lot to describe the way Christians are to be before God, so how does that “happen”?

What does it take for a previous repeatedly rebellious disobedient child to comfortably stand next to their parents (feeling justified)?

What does it take for a former criminal, who has repented of his former behavior, to comfortably stand before a Judge feeling now justified before the judge?

Could you really feel “justified” before your parents, if your older brother took the punishment/discipline you fully deserved in your stead?

Jesus did physically go to the cross, so you do not have to physically go to the cross so in that respect there is “substitution”, but is it penal substitution?

If you are not truly fairly/justly discipline by your Loving Parents, how can you truly know they are your Loving Parents?

Crucifixion is not the payment punishment for your sins, since your sins are way beyond any payment method, but God’s Love is great enough to forgive those sins. Crucifixion is just/fair discipline for your sins and you can be crucified, by being crucified with Christ (similar to the experience God had while Christ was on the cross and to be remembered every time you take the Lord’s Supper).

Yes, Christ crucifixion is described by Christ, Peter, Paul, John and the Hebrew writer as a literal ransom payment, but God is not the unworthy kidnapper and satan is not holding the child out of the Kingdom, so who is hold the child back?

When you talk to the nonbeliever: you do not pray to satan to take the ransom payment and let this child enter the kingdom, but you do try to get the nonbeliever to accept Jesus Christ and Him crucified, which is the literal ransom payment and if he accepts a child goes to the Father.

Briefly: Christ going to the cross provide me a way to be crucified (being crucified with Him) and still live. I want to be crucified (disciplined) by my parent God for all the benefits Loving discipline provides.

Yes! Christ went through the punishment for sin, but that was so I could go through the punishment for sin and not to do it in my stead.

The reason unbelievers do not have their sins atoned for is because they do not allow themselves to be crucified with Christ (part of the atonement process.

To understand “atonement” for sins, we need to understand what the sinner went through for really minor sins (unintentional sins) in Lev. 5 to know the part we play and the experience we are to have.

Much more can be said.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christ accomplished a great deal through His death and resurrection.

The early Christians were heavily focused on the fact that through God entering death (which could not contain Him as the very Source of Life) and resurrecting ... He defeated and destroyed death, which is our real (and final) enemy. These themes are throughout the New Testament Scriptures.

The west tends to focus on God being angry with us and desiring someone to be punished, but the east has maintained a focus on God as love who desires to save/heal (same word in the Scriptures) all. We don't die because God is punishing us. We die because God is the Source of Life, and when we as a race cut ourselves off from God, we have no life in ourselves and so we die. All of creation dies along with us, since we are the "priests" over creation and we failed to keep that connection to God.

Christ as the great High Priest became man, so that He cold finally fulfill that role, and reconcile man and all of creation to God, and defeat death so that we can all have eternal life through Him.

(ETA this does NOT imply universalism ... one can still reject that gift and be resurrected to suffer "the second death")

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Another reason to consider as well that I haven't seen here yet...

Hebrews 10, starting in verse 1 and following.

Actually, the whole book of Hebrews gives a bunch of reasons.

What is the reason in Hebrews 10?

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hey.

God demands beings who are perfect to enter into "heaven" (the new heavens and the new earth). There can be no sin in heaven, because heaven is a place without sin.
Without Christ we are dead in our sin(s). What that means is that we are servants to our flesh and unable to remedy ourselves... no amount of good works, no amount of religion or medidation can fix our condition. And since man can not remedy his sinful condition, he cannot enter into Paradise on his own.

And so God saw the state of man and knew we were hopeless to attain his standard on our own (his standard is perfection, i.e., without any sin). So he did something. Out of mercy and grace God sent his Son Jesus to the earth to redeem mankind. His death was the only way to do so, because only by man realizing that God loves them so much he would literally die for them, pour out his blood and suffer a horrible death, for anyone not holy men, not perfect people, but people who were stuck in their sins (every human), only then would man realize how deep God's love is for them.
And out of this faith in God's grace, we recieve God's love into our hearts, and man casts away his own sins before God. God's love casts out sins, we give them to him freely and he cleanses us and makes us a new creation.

This love will one day make us completely without sin, but while we walk on the earth still, it is a cleansing process termed Sanctification that happens in us, which means we are gradually being conformed to the image of Christ, gradually shedding our sinful self. When Christ returns he will call all the saints to his Presence, and in his holy Presence we will cast away all remnant of our sin.

The reason blood is required to forgive sin according to the Law is because God was foreshadowing through animal sacrifice the coming of Christ. He was always pointing mankind/Israel towards the coming of his Son. According to the Law the "life is in the blood", and so it is Christ's life poured out on the cross.

The Resurrection is God the Father's acceptance of the sacrifice of Christ. It shows mankind that Christ was who he said he was and that his work is accepted.

I will also say that someone doesn't have to fully understand everything to be saved. God just wants simple faith.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if it's real blood or symbolic at the last super. If it is real I'm sure it would be Holy and cleansing.

It would surely be fruit of the vine aka from grapes. Not real blood. Jesus's last supper was done while they were under the OT laws, and Christ obeyed those laws while also teaching what was to come, the new covenant. The OT laws strictly forbid drinking blood from what I have seen in scripture. Also, every time the supper is mentioned after the 4 books of the gospel, the phrase "wine" but used as the generic greek word onios indicating non alcoholic grape juice or fruit of the vine as many know to say.

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Christ accomplished a great deal through His death and resurrection.

The early Christians were heavily focused on the fact that through God entering death (which could not contain Him as the very Source of Life) and resurrecting ... He defeated and destroyed death, which is our real (and final) enemy. These themes are throughout the New Testament Scriptures.

The west tends to focus on God being angry with us and desiring someone to be punished, but the east has maintained a focus on God as love who desires to save/heal (same word in the Scriptures) all. We don't die because God is punishing us. We die because God is the Source of Life, and when we as a race cut ourselves off from God, we have no life in ourselves and so we die. All of creation dies along with us, since we are the "priests" over creation and we failed to keep that connection to God.

Christ as the great High Priest became man, so that He cold finally fulfill that role, and reconcile man and all of creation to God, and defeat death so that we can all have eternal life through Him.

(ETA this does NOT imply universalism ... one can still reject that gift and be resurrected to suffer "the second death")

This sounds almost like messiahship. We need a saviour, so it has to be of man but has to be deity for resurrection. Following him gets earns us salvation. If so that's a reasonable answer for the cross.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To 'reverse the curse'...

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
(Gal 3:10)

Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
(Gal 3:13)

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hey.

God demands beings who are perfect to enter into "heaven" (the new heavens and the new earth). There can be no sin in heaven, because heaven is a place without sin.
Without Christ we are dead in our sin(s). What that means is that we are servants to our flesh and unable to remedy ourselves... no amount of good works, no amount of religion or medidation can fix our condition. And since man can not remedy his sinful condition, he cannot enter into Paradise on his own.

And so God saw the state of man and knew we were hopeless to attain his standard on our own (his standard is perfection, i.e., without any sin). So he did something. Out of mercy and grace God sent his Son Jesus to the earth to redeem mankind. His death was the only way to do so, because only by man realizing that God loves them so much he would literally die for them, pour out his blood and suffer a horrible death, for anyone not holy men, not perfect people, but people who were stuck in their sins (every human), only then would man realize how deep God's love is for them.
And out of this faith in God's grace, we recieve God's love into our hearts, and man casts away his own sins before God. God's love casts out sins, we give them to him freely and he cleanses us and makes us a new creation.

This love will one day make us completely without sin, but while we walk on the earth still, it is a cleansing process termed Sanctification that happens in us, which means we are gradually being conformed to the image of Christ, gradually shedding our sinful self. When Christ returns he will call all the saints to his Presence, and in his holy Presence we will cast away all remnant of our sin.

The reason blood is required to forgive sin according to the Law is because God was foreshadowing through animal sacrifice the coming of Christ. He was always pointing mankind/Israel towards the coming of his Son. According to the Law the "life is in the blood", and so it is Christ's life poured out on the cross.

The Resurrection is God the Father's acceptance of the sacrifice of Christ. It shows mankind that Christ was who he said he was and that his work is accepted.

I will also say that someone doesn't have to fully understand everything to be saved. God just wants simple faith.

Hope this helps.

Yes I understand and agree we cannot work our way to salvation or on our own merit. It's done through faith in Christ.

I think I just got my wires crossed but fellow members have shown the way.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This sounds almost like messiahship. We need a saviour, so it has to be of man but has to be deity for resurrection. Following him gets earns us salvation. If so that's a reasonable answer for the cross.
I don't know the details of what you're suggesting so I can't really comment. Except we wouldn't say we "earn" salvation.

The way we live our lives (actions, thoughts, attitudes, everything) is part of our relationship with God and affects the kind of person we become. We SHOULD be cooperating with God, Who desires to form Christ in us, and that is part of our salvation - it is really how we are saved/healed (from the effects of sin). But on our part, everything we might do is just letting God do His work in us by His grace. It is impossible for us to do anything at all to "earn" salvation.

This is our point of view. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
To 'reverse the curse'...

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
(Gal 3:10)

Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
(Gal 3:13)

And what IS that curse being reversed?

The curse of Adam and originally sin?

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I don't know the details of what you're suggesting so I can't really comment. Except we wouldn't say we "earn" salvation.

The way we live our lives (actions, thoughts, attitudes, everything) is part of our relationship with God and affects the kind of person we become. We SHOULD be cooperating with God, Who desires to form Christ in us, and that is part of our salvation - it is really how we are saved/healed (from the effects of sin). But on our part, everything we might do is just letting God do His work in us by His grace. It is impossible for us to do anything at all to "earn" salvation.

This is our point of view. :)

Ok I think we are teasing out words here. Not earn, because then God is in debt to us. Replace earn with gift. A free gift.

Following Christ was the main point though

Upvote 0