Port Alberni
✟18,569.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Just exactly WHY did Jesus die on the cross I dont fully grasp on to this as being something significant yet obviously it is to Christians and I want to understand for myself why Jesus died on the cross. If you can help me understand I would appreciate it but be gentle about it because its hard for me to comprehend or have the same understanding some of you have about this right away

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Just exactly WHY did Jesus die on the cross I dont fully grasp on to this as being something significant yet obviously it is to Christians and I want to understand for myself why Jesus died on the cross. If you can help me understand I would appreciate it but be gentle about it because its hard for me to comprehend or have the same understanding some of you have about this right away
In brief it was because Jesus, being born of a virgin, did not come through the line of fathers therefore did not have the principle of sinfulness that every other human being had. Therefore, when He died on the cross, He was the perfect and innocent sacrifice for our sinfulness. When He died on the cross, He took our sinfulness upon Him and suffered the punishment for it. This means that those who turn to Christ in faith, have their sinfulness taken away from them and the pure righteousness (acceptability to God) of Christ is bestowed on them. This means that God sees them as totally sinless.

Jesus had to died and suffer being sent to Hell, not for any sinfulness of His own, but for our sinfulness. But He did not stay in Hell. He rose again from the dead to show that He has victory over death and Hell, and because He rose from the dead, He is able to give us eternal life.

That is why Jesus died on the cross. It was for us. Our response is to turn to Him, repent on all wilful sin, and determine to live a holy life before Him. We can never be perfect in ourselves because our physical bodies still bear the marks of sin, and that it why it has to die, but our spirit lives on and one day we will be clothed in a glorified, sinless body.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Basically in Judaism an animal (a perfect Lamb) was killed as a sin sacrifice to take away sins. Jesus was a symbolic sin sacrifice lamb, dying for the sins of those who would believe in him and repent...So he had to die for that reason. Why the cross was simply was that was a typical way Roman's killed people.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
One reason that it was significant was that he was executed, despite the fact that he had never sinned. By allowing himself to be executed, he ransomed us from Satan. Had he not ransomed us from Satan, Satan could have tormented us forever for any of the sins we had committed.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hello fellow Canadian :) I also go to a Pentecostal church.

I wish explaining to you the significance of Jesus’ death on the cross was simple. We can only tell you so much about why He died for the whole world, there’s SO much meaning to Jesus and the cross.
Jesus’ path to the cross is all the way back to Genesis where Adam and Eve disobeyed God and was then ushered out of Eden to a new land. This is where the sacrifices of animals began in order to cover our sin. This paved the way for Jesus, being the ultimate sacrifice - the Lamb of God - the only One Who can save us from sin forever, if we turn, believe in Him and His ways. He didn’t cover our sin like the animals did, as their blood was not sufficient, but the Son of God’s was/is.

The significance of the cross: What comes to my mind (with the help of the Holy Spirit) is Moses and bronze snake. Numbers 21:1-9 (significance being verses 8-9) this reflects what Jesus said: John 3:1-15 (significance being verses 13-15).

For more understanding on this, I would ask God about it. Whatever you ask concerning His will, He will give abundantly.
:yellowheart:

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Jesus was the "Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world." He came to earth to atone for your sins and mine by the sacrifice of himself. He was able to do this because he is sinlessly perfect, the God-man, infinite in existence and power. We humans are not sinlessly perfect nor divine and so could not ever fully atone for our sins ourselves. So God, in love, grace and mercy, did for us what we could not do for ourselves, becoming a man and cleansing us from our sins by shedding his blood and dying on the cross.

Hebrews 9:22
22 And according to the Law, one may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Romans 6:10
10 For the death that He died, He died to sin, once for all...

Hebrews 10:10-12
10 ...we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
11 And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.
12 But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God,

Matthew 20:28
28 ...the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jesus had to experience a SEPARATION from The Father -- the moment He cried out "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken me?" He was quoting Psalm 22, written about Him, yes, as someone said above, it goes all the back to Adam and Eve - Eve's seed was prophesied to bruise the Serpent's head, and His heel would be bruised. Christus Victor. Ransom as dreadnought said. Substituting Him for all of us.

Oh well, let Isaiah tell it:

Isaiah 53:3
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Isaiah 53:4
Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

Isaiah 53:5
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed

Isaiah 53:6
All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Isaiah 53:7
He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

Isaiah 53:8
He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

Isaiah 53:9
And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

Isaiah 53:10
Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

Isaiah 53:11
He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Isa 53:12
Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Isaiah prophesied this 6 or 7 centuries before it happenned.
We will never exhaust the WHY of it. Propitiation, Blood Atonement. We will never grasp all of it, until we see Him.

Which 'Atonement Theory' do I subscribe to?

All of them.

And all that every poster has said above me.

Welcome to CF, Curiouscallie from Canada!

Last edited:
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the old testament days people used to sacrifice goats, lamb, bulls and rams for the forgiveness of sins. Shedding of blood was essential and a must for sins to be forgiven. Satan has legal ownership over us because of man's fall in the garden. The flesh is sinful and Jesus had to purchase us back from satan by His unblemished blood once and for all. That does not mean we are free to keep on sinning.
It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. Hebrews 6:4-6
I used to be like you. I just couldn't get it why Jesus had to die on the cross for us. Here is some deeper study on that subject. Why did God require animal sacrifices in the Old Testament?

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

The short answer: Jesus died on the cross and, on the third day, was resurrected to life, to provide a way for us to be saved, for all who will "openly declare that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead" (Romans 10:9).

Here is a more lengthy and detailed answer:

Question: "Why did Jesus have to die?"

Answer:
When we ask a question such as this, we must be careful that we are not calling God into question. To wonder why God couldn’t find “another way” to do something is to imply that the way He has chosen is not the best course of action and that some other method would be better. Usually what we perceive as a “better” method is one that seems right to us. Before we can come to grips with anything God does, we have to first acknowledge that His ways are not our ways, His thoughts are not our thoughts—they are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8). In addition, Deuteronomy 32:4 reminds us that “He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.” Therefore, the plan of salvation He has designed is perfect, just, and upright, and no one could have come up with anything better.

The Scripture says, “For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures” (1 Corinthians 15:3-4). Evidence affirms that the sinless Jesus bled and died on a cross. Most importantly, the Bible explains why Jesus’ death and resurrection provide the only entrance to heaven.

The punishment for sin is death.

God created earth and man perfect. But when Adam and Eve disobeyed God’s commands, He had to punish them. A judge who pardons law-breakers isn’t a righteous judge. Likewise, overlooking sin would make the holy God unjust. Death is God’s just consequence for sin. “For the wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23). Even good works cannot make up for wrongs against the holy God. Compared to His goodness, “All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6b). Ever since Adam’s sin, every human has been guilty of disobeying God’s righteous laws. “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). Sin is not just big things like murder or blasphemy, but also includes love of money, hatred of enemies, and deceit of tongue and pride. Because of sin, everyone has deserved death – eternal separation from God in hell.

The promise required an innocent death.

Although God banished Adam and Eve from the garden, He didn’t leave them without hope of reconciliation. He promised He would send a Savior to defeat the serpent (Genesis 3:15). Until then, men would sacrifice innocent lambs, showing their repentance from sin and faith in the future Sacrifice from God who would bear their penalty. God reaffirmed His promise of the Sacrifice with men such as Abraham and Moses. Herein lies the beauty of God’s perfect plan: God Himself provided the only sacrifice (Jesus) who could atone for the sins of His people. God’s perfect Son fulfilled God’s perfect requirement of God’s perfect law. It is perfectly brilliant in its simplicity. “God made Him (Christ), who knew no sin, to be sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in Him” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

The prophets foretold Jesus’ death.

From Adam to Jesus, God sent prophets to mankind, warning them of sin’s punishment and foretelling the coming Messiah. One prophet, Isaiah, described Him:

“Who has believed what they heard from us? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed? For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth. By oppression and judgment he was taken away; and as for his generation, who considered that he was cut off out of the land of the living, stricken for the transgression of my people? And they made his grave with the wicked and with a rich man in his death, although he had done no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth. Yet it was the will of the LORD to crush him; he has put him to grief; when his soul makes an offering for sin, he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days; the will of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, because he poured out his soul to death and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he bore the sin of many, and makes intercession for the transgressors” (Isaiah 53:1-12). He likened the coming Sacrifice to a lamb, slaughtered for the sins of others.

Hundreds of years later, Isaiah’s prophecy was fulfilled in the perfect Lord Jesus, born of the virgin Mary. When the prophet John the Baptist saw Him, he cried, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29). Crowds thronged Him for healing and teaching, but the religious leaders scorned Him. Mobs cried out, “Crucify Him!” Soldiers beat, mocked, and crucified Him. As Isaiah foretold, Jesus was crucified in between two criminals but was buried in a rich man’s tomb. But He didn’t remain in the grave. Because God accepted His Lamb’s sacrifice, He fulfilled another prophecy by raising Jesus from the dead (Psalm 16:10; Isaiah 26:19).

Why did Jesus have to die? Remember, the holy God cannot let sin go unpunished. To bear our own sins would be to suffer God’s judgment in the flames of hell. Praise God, He kept His promise to send and sacrifice the perfect Lamb to bear the sins of those who trust in Him. Jesus had to die because He is the only one who can pay the penalty for our sins.

If God is showing you your need for the Lamb of God, find out how His sacrificial death can take away your sins -click here!

www.gotquestions.org/why-Jesus-die.html

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I like all the other answers.... here's a simplified version that helped me.

You get a parking ticket, for breaking the law by parking somewhere prohibited.

You can't pay it. You are going to end up in jail.

Because I being someone who cares for you, does not want to see you go to jail, I pay your fine. I have to pay the entire fine. You are guilty, the fine is just, and it must be paid. So I pay it.

In Christianity, we are all sinners. Sinners simply means we have failed to do what is right. Greed, envy, hate, lying, slandering, backstabbing, arrogant, rebellious, and the list goes on. We have all done most, or all of these.

For hundreds of years, the way people made payment, or atonement for these evils, was through sacrifices. But that was an imperfect way. It left the question was it enough, was it a worthy payment.

Jesus solved that problem. He paid the price, for all. He was the final sacrifice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

There are about five different theories of salvation in the Christian world. Penal substitution is only one of them and is relatively late.

Salvation in Christianity - Wikipedia

• Informative
Upvote 0

frater_domus

Faith is all that matters.
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2018
Berlin
✟186,302.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I got a quote from C.S. Lewis about that: “The central Christian belief is that Christ’s death has somehow put us right with God and given us a fresh start. Theories as to how it did this are another matter. A good many different theories have been held as to how it works; what all Christians are agreed on is that it does work.”

To be fair, I have trouble reconciling with the idea of penal substitution. So.. Jesus is God, who came down to us. Wouldn't that result in God killing God to save us from God? Also, does God have a justice-o-meter that says what sacrifice is suitable to atone for all mankind? That strikes me less as a loving God and more of a compulsive lawyer.

I have a thought, but it goes off the common teaching. Maybe there is a speck of truth in it though? God knows all things, so he knew that if He were to come down to earth, the person of Jesus will be killed for his message. So doing it essentially means sacrificing Jesus for the sake of humanity. So maybe the part about our atonement lies in the words Jesus spoke, his death and resurrection proves that he is indeed the Christ and the words are true and the sacrifice was simply God getting on with this plan, knowing what would happen.

Mind you, I am just a dumb layman who struggles to learn a bit of chemistry, so maybe it is all nonsense...

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
To be fair, I have trouble reconciling with the idea of penal substitution. So.. Jesus is God, who came down to us. Wouldn't that result in God killing God to save us from God? Also, does God have a justice-o-meter that says what sacrifice is suitable to atone for all mankind? That strikes me less as a loving God and more of a compulsive lawyer.
Well, it's not God killing God. It's God, coming down to earth as a man and dying the death of a man.

Jesus was ressurected. Jesus right now sits at the right-hand of the Father.

Mark 16:19

19 After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was taken up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God.

Luke 22:69
But from now on the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the power of God."

Luke 24:51
While He was blessing them, He left them and was carried up into heaven.

John 6:62
Then what will happen if you see the Son of Man ascend to where He was before?

John 20:17
"Do not cling to Me," Jesus said, "for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go and tell My brothers, 'I am ascending to My Father and your Father, to My God and your God.'"

So as a human being, born of His mother Mary, Jesus as a man died. But the Son of God is still God, so God is not dead.

Does this make sense?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If you understand the Old Covenant, you will know it was a covenant of perfect obedience. That is what the Israelite's were up against. The problem is that no one could perfectly keep the law that was given to Moses.

For the Israelite's a lamb was sacrificed each year, I think, for temporary atonement by the Levitical priesthood. That was a temporary sacrifice and had to be done over and over and over. With each new set of sins, the sacrifices had to be repeated (there are other ones to).

So since perfect obedience was what the Law required, only someone perfectly obedient could fulfill that and no man has ever been perfectly obedient, before Christ.

What Christ does in essence is stands in your place. So you may be a sinner, but Jesus says "I died for the sins of this one, I will stand in their place".

So on your own, you fail the justice-o-meter.

Christ in your place, passes the justice-o-meter.

Reactions: frater_domus
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

You might want to take a look at Dr. William Lane Craig's discussions of penal substitution on his website. He shows why this perspective on the atonement is eminently scriptural and, I think, best understands the work of Christ on the cross.

Reactions: frater_domus
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is in God's nature that someone's debt can be paid by another under certain conditions. Jesus was our Kinsman-Redeemer, as illustrated in Ruth 4. The punishment for our sins was death, but we could not do anything to free ourselves of that sin debt, so Jesus, who met the requirements in God's nature, paid our debt for us. However, Scripture is clear that plugging into that payment to receive its benefit is not automatic. We must have entrusted ourselves to Jesus—which we can't do if we don't believe he is real, or if we reject who he is (God, our Lord, etc.).

Upvote 0

Curiouscallie

Feb 11, 2018
Port Alberni
✟18,569.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
So in the beginning animals were used as a sacrifice for receiving forgiveness of ones sin then Jesus came and died as a sacrifice for ones sin everyone's sin meaning no more sacrifices. Animals had to be without blemish, Jesus was without blemish meaning from the responses Jesus was perfect, innocent, and sinless. Two guestions
Was Jesus like this all His life perfect. Innocent and sinless cause its hard to imagine a child a teen a young adult being sinless, innocent and perfect. So was he born this way or did it change when he went into ministry. Its impossible to believe after raising kids , teens and having three young adults know that Jesus did not sin
Also how is it possible Jesus took all the sins of everybody generation after generation on the cross. How could or can He know my sins if I don't even know what they are. I learnt much from your responses and I appreciate that but it has led to more questions and hopefully you can help me some more

Reactions: nekiness
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is a thing we can never fully know, as God has not declared why in his word. Yet I will make some suggestions. The bible says "God demonstrates His love for us by Jesus dying on the cross". It shows the nature of God, no matter how bad men treated Jesus, he said "Father forgive them for they don't know what they are doing". If we were beaten up, we may want revenge, yet Jesus showed that He forgives us when he was harmed. The bible said Jesus was marred more than any other man, that shows us that no matter the suffering a person may put another through, Jesus will forgive us if we sinned in like manner. It is not that Jesus wants people to suffer, no, rather He is highly forgiving if we repent, and leave behind, our sins. He has made provision for the wicked as well as the righteous to inherit eternal life. Yet in no way should men desire wickedness.

Upvote 0