Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the Old Testament a sacrifice had to be made with God for the atonement of sin. Only then could God and man be reconciled. In the New Testament they are used as illustrations of the perfect sacrifice that Jesus made to God for the forgiveness of our sin.It was a great transaction,God made for our salvation

But then God made it to himself. How does that atone anything?
Our sins could not be forgiven without that death?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
T"ransom theory of atonement is one of the main doctrines in Christian theology relating to the meaning and effect of the death of Jesus Christ. It originated in the early Church, particularly in the work of Origen. The theory teaches that the death of Christ was a ransom sacrifice, usually said to have been paid to Satan, in satisfaction for the bondage and debt on the souls of humanity as a result of inherited sin.[1]"

Historically not everyone has believed the offering was for the father

I think most people forget it is a theory.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What an awesome,amazing,atoning sacrifice! Thankyou for your reply,'Shrewd Manager'

Amen to that. And thank you quietbloke for a great question that allows the heavens to open and the power of heaven to be made manifest.

Folks too often get too tied up in some transactional legalist accounting routine. May we pray that they don't get caught in this trap. The letter kills, only the Spirit gives life, and in abundance. The truth is dynamic and without limits!

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
But then God made it to himself. How does that atone anything?
Our sins could not be forgiven without that death?
The transaction is between us and God.'Tis done the great transactions done. I am my Lord's and He mine..!'

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think most people forget it is a theory.
It is not a theory. It is the Word of God. 'The Blood of the Lord' Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin'.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Amen to that. And thank you quietbloke for a great question that allows the heavens to open and the power of heaven to be made manifest.

Folks too often get too tied up in some transactional legalist accounting routine. May we pray that they don't get caught in this trap. The letter kills, only the Spirit gives life, and in abundance. The truth is dynamic and without limits!
Amen! We believe in the truth of God's Word!

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Word of God teaches the atonement of our sins through the sacrifice of the cross.
I don't disbelieve nor dispute. But I ask how does it work. In what way is it effective?

It seems God punishes himself for us to atone for our sin.

And yet something deeper is going on since we all can somehow be one in Christ, part of his body, and enter in to his suffering and death. But what does that really mean in practical terms in our daily life?

We all sin and always have since the beginning. It seems to me that we can only atone, only be reconciled, if we offer to Christ our daily sacrifices, in fact every moment of our lives. Live completely in him. And that requires a lot more than just faith. Faith gets us started. It also requires the great command, love one another.

I don't think Jesus cares about a lot of words or proclamations or confessions. He wants to see love in action. That is the indication of living in him, his life death, and resurrection which then become ours through solidarity and moral participation.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Word of God teaches the atonement of our sins through the sacrifice of the cross.
No one is arguing against that. There's several theories about what exactly the atonement accomplished. One is the ultimate defeat of evil (christus victor) one is it paid Ransom to Satan or the father. Another is penal substitution...I thought this was what this thread was about? Because all have some merit.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No one is arguing against that. There's several theories about what exactly the atonement accomplished. One is the ultimate defeat of evil (christus victor) one is it paid Ransom to Satan or the father. Another is penal substitution...I thought this was what this thread was about? Because all have some merit.

Yes, let's get below the surface of the words and phrases we are all so familiar with. The Moral Example" theory makes most sense to me.

How could evil have been defeated when it is all around us as powerful as ever?

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How could evil have been defeated when it is all around us as powerful as ever?
"Classically, the Christus Victor theory of Atonement is widely considered to be the dominant theory for most of the historical Christian Church. In this theory, Jesus Christ dies in order to defeat the powers of evil (such as sin, death, and the devil) in order to free mankind from their bondage. This is related to the Ransom view with the difference being that there is no payment to the devil or to God. Within the Christus Victor framework, the cross did not pay off anyone, but defeated evil thereby setting the human race free."

I think the idea is that it assured the ultimate defeat of evil, not that evil is not still present in this world. Satan's ultimate defeat came at the cross. I don't think many theologians would dispute that, the most add another theory or two.

• Agree
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this thread is more about what do we personally feel the death and resurrection of Christ did for us... My emotional reaction to that is that Christ took upon himself my every pain, every mistake, every sin, and made them his own. He drank every drop of my brokenness, and it tore him up inside like broken glass. And in his life here experienced every bit of rejection that we ever feel, the entire gamut of human suffering, made infinitely worse by having experienced unimaginable Glory previously. He willingly became us to rescue us from ourselves. And even when we try to express it, we are left with a deep mystery that is too much for us to understand, and perhaps eternity will not be long enough to truly grasp it all.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think this thread is more about what do we personally feel the death and resurrection of Christ did for us... My emotional reaction to that is that Christ took upon himself my every pain, every mistake, every sin, and made them his own. He drank every drop of my brokenness, and it tore him up inside like broken glass. And in his life here experienced every bit of rejection that we ever feel, the entire gamut of human suffering, made infinitely worse by having experienced unimaginable Glory previously. He willingly became us to rescue us from ourselves. And even when we try to express it, we are left with a deep mystery that is too much for us to understand, and perhaps eternity will not be long enough to truly grasp it all.
it should not be about feelings at all, feelings can be manipulated by a host of externals. The word of God is unchanging and goes from generation to generation.

• Agree
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it should not be about feelings at all, feelings can be manipulated by a host of externals. The word of God is unchanging and goes from generation to generation.
I disagree. Not about the Word of God being unchanging, but that the feelings aren't important. If the incarnation does not spark deep feelings of gratitude and awe within us, we need to check ourselves for a pulse.

• Prayers
Upvote 0