Status
Not open for further replies.

C.A.B.L

Apr 5, 2004
Houston, Texas
✟663.00
Faith
Christian
The verses below present a question to my mind and I wanted to see what you all think. What is the significance of the number "3" in the Bible? and why did he ask him three times?

Joh 21:15 Then when they broke fast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these? He said to Him, Yes, Lord, You know that I love You. He said to him, Feed My lambs.

Joh 21:16 He said to him the second time, Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me? He said to Him, Yes, Lord, You know that I love You. He said to him, Feed My sheep.

Joh 21:17 He said to him the third time, Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me? Peter was grieved because He said to him a third time, Do you love Me? And he said to Him, Lord, You know all things, You know that I love You. Jesus said to him, Feed My sheep.

I kinda have a answer to it but I'm not sure. I thought that since Peter denied Him three times, Jesus for some reason felt the need to ask him three times?

Let me know your thoughts. . .

EternallySecure

CHRIST MY RIGHTEOUSNESS!
Dec 14, 2003
FL
Visit site
✟7,890.00
Faith
Protestant
Just my opinion, Jesus asked Peter three times, because Peter denied Jesus 3 times (Matt. 26:69-75). Also, Jesus did more than ask Peter 3 times, He commissioned Peter 3 times to feed His sheep. That is giving someone a lot of trust, who a few days earlier denied Jesus 3 times with cursing and oaths. Such is the wonderful grace of God in Christ!

"Jesus' threefold question and threefold commission of apostolic mission contrasts directly with Peter's three denials. Three times Peter said he did not even know the Lord; now three times he said he loved the Lord. No matter how great a person is, he may fall. But God's grace and forgiveness will restore the repentant. (Edwin A. Blum - Bible Knowledge Commentary pp. 345).

Upvote 0

Under_His_Shadow

HowwellIre-Member
Feb 15, 2004
So.Ca.
✟1,223.00
Faith
Christian
Why did Jesus ask three times? . . .

The verses below present a question to my mind and I wanted to see what you all think. What is the significance of the number "3" in the Bible? and why did he ask him three times?

Joh 21:15

The number 3 in Scripture speaks of the Trinity and/or Divine perfection!

I think your answer could well be at least part of the reason why Christ asked Peter 3 times.

Also worth consideration, are the 2 different Greek words that are translated "love" in this passage. In Jesus' first two questions to Peter He used the word agapao, denoting complete devotion or Divinely generated love, i.e., the highest form of love as used in Jn.17:23-26, but Peter honestly answered Him (all three times in fact) using the Greek word phileo which refers to a lower-level, more common kind of love, such as brotherly / familial love (as in Mat.10:37), or the love that the scribes had for greetings in the marketplace and the best seats in the synagogues for instance (as used in Lk.20:46).

But the third time Jesus questioned him, He used the word phileo, graciously condescending to Peter's level. Perhaps Jesus was trying to make Peter understand that the love necessary for feeding lambs and shepherding His sheep was God's "agape" love?

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
I kinda have a answer to it but I'm not sure. I thought that since Peter denied Him three times, Jesus for some reason felt the need to ask him three times?
Peter had denied Jesus three times and after this experience that he went through he needed to know that Jesus still loved him.

Judas betrayed his Lord, Peter denied his Lord. Not that much difference really.

It was how they responded to what happened after that. Judas was sorry, very sorry. But sorry enough to repent.

Repent is the big difference between Peter and Judas.

Peter was absolutely beside himself for what he had done. Jesus knew this and without the assurance from Christ, three times to show Peter that Jesus loved him. Then Peter knew for sure that he had been accepted back into the fold.

How can the Christian Church be built upon such a rolling stone as Peter. Never, the Christian Church is built upon the Cornerstone, the Rock Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Observe the verbs used for "love" in each exchange. There are actually two different words used for love here. One is "agape" or divine love. The other is "phileo" or brotherly friendship. Remember that this converstion is taking place just a few days after Peter denied Jesus three times. Of course Jesus is big enough to survive that break in fellowship by Peter, but Jesus here is dealing with the broken heart and guilt felt by Peter.

Joh 21:15-17
15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, [son] of Jonas, lovest (agape) thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love (phileo)thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, [son] of Jonas, lovest (agape) thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love (phileo) thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, [son] of Jonas, lovest (phileo) thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest (phileo) thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love (phileo) thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

Decoded, the conversation might read like this:
Jesus:
Peter, do you love me with a divine love more than you love these others?
Peter:
(Peter is too ashamed to claim the divine love Jesus is asking for. I imagine he is looking away from the face of Jesus during this conversation.)
Lord you know I am your friend.
Jesus:
Then feed my lambs... (I still have work for you.)
Jesus:
Peter, forget about the others, do you at least love me with a divine love?
Peter:
Lord, you know that I am your friend.
Jesus:
Tend my sheep...
Jesus:
Ok Peter, are you even my friend?
Peter:
(He is hurt because Jesus even questions the friendship.) Lord you know my heart, you know I am your friend.
Jesus:
I know you are Peter, I know...
Tend my sheep...

(((NOTE: If this post looks like the font is too big... please PM me about it. For some reason all the fonts on CF look really tiny to me... Maybe I have to adjust something in my browser????)))

Upvote 0

C.A.B.L

Apr 5, 2004
Houston, Texas
✟663.00
Faith
Christian
Wow! I appreciate all of your replies and I think I have to agree with you. Another type of assurance that our interpretations are correct is in this passage.

Mar 16:7 But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you. (KJV)

Now, I was reading this after I read your replies so I thought it would be pretty interesting to post it on here. He singles Peter out! but why? my interpretation which is just that MY INTERPRETATION and I could be wrong. Is that Peter was distraught from him denying the Lord Jesus (I think anybody would have felt that way if they denied Jesus at that time, remember no one knew Jesus had to die on the cross to take the sin of the World according to the Bible except John) Now back to the point, why single Peter out? I think that Peter was so distraught that Jesus felt that he needed extra comfort and reassurance, remember Jesus said Peter was "the rock" on which he would build his church. And he said that knowing beforehand that Peter would deny him, seems to me that Jesus wanted to single him out to turn his failure into a strength!

Let me here your thoughts, thanks for all your replies so far! . . .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Acolyte

Wisdom is a kindly spirit
Mar 15, 2004
✟415.00
Faith
Catholic
C.A.B.L said:

Joh 21:15 Then when they broke fast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these? He said to Him, Yes, Lord, You know that I love You. He said to him, Feed My lambs.

Joh 21:16 He said to him the second time, Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me? He said to Him, Yes, Lord, You know that I love You. He said to him, Feed My sheep.

Joh 21:17 He said to him the third time, Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me? Peter was grieved because He said to him a third time, Do you love Me? And he said to Him, Lord, You know all things, You know that I love You. Jesus said to him, Feed My sheep.

Let me know your thoughts. . .

The purpose of this part of the Gospel is the renewal of Peter. Peter denied Jesus three times, he was renewed when Jesus asked him "do you love me more than these?".

The signifigance of Peter denying Jesus 3 times is very big. We know that three is how many are in the Trinity. So by Peter denying Jesus three times he denies God in his entirety.

Jesus, in his loving and forgiving nature asked Peter three times if he loved him to renew him and take him back completely. By doing so he overrode the denial with acceptance. He took him back.

It is a great example of Jesus' ability to forgive, even for the offense of denying God completely.

Upvote 0

Serving4Christ

Humble Servant
Jan 28, 2003
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟564.00
Faith
Christian
iktca said:
I have a short testimony on this.

When I read that part of John many years ago, I became sad. Jesus asked Peter three times but he did not ask me even once. Peter's love for Jesus was great enough to be asked three times, but my love for Jesus was not good enough to be asked even once. For if Jesus asked me, "Do you love me?" I knew I couldn't say, "Lord, you know I love you." So I asked Jesus to wait until my love became greater and ask me then. Each time I read that part of John, the same thought came to me.

About 10 years passed. I was in an airport on business travel. I was praising the Lord silently while I was looking for my gate. I had an unusual urge to kneel. I could not locate the prayer room quick enough so I knelt at a corner with less foot traffic. I started to pray but I sensed that I was to listen and not talk. Then the Lord said, "Do you love me?" Joy came to my heart. Without hesitation I answered, "I love you, Lord." Jesus said, "Tend my sheep." I didn't have to ask who were his sheep.

When I remember that incidence, tears still come to my eyes. Jesus did not withdraw his grace from me who rejected him publicly, and waited patiently until my heart returned to him. Enduring love of our Lord Jesus!

Peter was to become the foundation of Christ's church. His love had to be greater than the others. In fact, his love was greater than the other 10. But Jesus wanted to increase his love further by asking the question three times. If Peter had not become sad after the third question, Jesus would have asked more. That is our Lord, loving, providing, leading without pushing, encouraging without condemning. Amen.
That was very heart warming and spirit stirring! Thank you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.