Why did Israel alone get the extra baptism of John?

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why wasn't it sufficient for Jesus to come and say
"Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Matt. 4:17)
Why did they need John a few months previously saying the same thing?
(Matt. 3:2 : "Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand")

Most people I know heard the gospel of Jesus without first being told to prepare to hear it.

If your answer is "because the prophets said it would happen", fine, I know that.
I want to go a little deeper ... why?

My thought is that God was still dealing with Israel as a nation.
Jesus came to deal with individuals.

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"The law and the prophets were until John the baptist, and since that time, men are pressing to seize the kingdom forcefully".
"You will by no means enter into the kingdom of the heavens unless your righteousness exceeds that of the pharisees and scribes".
"The hour is coming and even now is, that the true worshippers will worship The Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is seeking such to worship Him".

Matthew 21:33-45 shows that God had been for a long time striving to receive the fruits of the kingdom. Isaiah 6:8-11 shows that there was a process of laying waste so as to give emphasis to the holy seed.

By the way that Luke 3:7-14 reads, John the Baptist was of outstanding righteousness for his time, and we know that Luke 1:65-66 shows that he will have been raised having awareness of a reputation pertaining to some great calling.

Jesus used John the Baptist's ministry to avoid a potentially harmful argument in Matthew 21:23-27.

Jesus also suggested that John the Baptist's ministry was fulfilment of a key prophecy (Matthew 17:12, Malachi 4:5).

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Gospel of the Kingdom vs Gospel of Grace

Pre-Cross: The Gospel of the Kingdom was a collevtive message for God's chosen people = The Nation Of Israel Only

Luke 16:16 Jesus said, The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached

The Gospel of the Kingdom message begins with John the Baptist Matt 3:2-6 & Mk 1:4-5

After John's arrest, Jesus himself takes up the kingdon message. Matt 4:12-17

Matt 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and """preaching the gospel of the kingdom""", and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

The message required belief/faith that Jesus was the Messiah, the promised King of Israel (I.E. the kingdom message). It also required repentance, for the Jews breaking covenant with God (Jer 31:32). And the Jewish purification ritual of water Baptism. Preparation for the coming New Covenant, Jer 31:31

The (JEWS) were to repent = change their current course & return to God. Then be washed in flowing water for the symbolic removal of sin.

This ALL JEWISH kingdom message required faith & works. Why works? Because, while Messiah is alive. The old Mosaic law covenant is still in effect.

It's not until a sinless Christs sacrificial sin atoning death & resurrection (Gods stamp of acceptance/approval). PAID IN FULL, the laws requirments for the wage (DEATH) of sin.

Messiah's death Finishes the work of redemption. Paying IN FULL, all the laws required wage for sin.

Remember the New Covenant is cut in the blood of Christ. NOT WITH THE WASHING OF WATER but WITH THE SACRIFICIAL BLOOD THAT REMOVES SIN.

The gospel of the kingdom message failed due to Jewish rejection/unbelief.

For the Jews Christ’s death was not good news. Peter’s sermons regarded the death of Christ as a message of condemnation to Jews. A heinous act that demanded repentance (Acts 2:22-42, 3:12-26).

At the Feast of Pentecost Acts 2:22. Peter say's "Ye men of Israel (the circumcision-Jews only), hear these words". Peter never mentions sacrifice, or propitiation, or the blood of Jesus Christ. He never associates Christ's death with remission of sins

Messiah's, earthly/walk, fleshly/ministry. Was to and only to the Jews = the circumcision.

Matt 10:5 Messiah sent forth the 12 & commanded them. To not go the Gentiles or into any city of the Samaritans (Jewish decendants from Ephraim and the half-tribe of Manasseh)
(Message DON'T go to GENTILES!)

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
(Messiah is sent, & sends his disciples to, the lost sheep of the ""House of Israel"")

Matt 15:24 Messiah answered & said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
(Messiah say's; He has been sent, ONLY, to the lost sheep of the ""House of Israel"")

Rom 15:8 I say that Messiah was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:
(Messiah came to preach to the circumcision (Jews only) & to fulfil promises made to the circumcision's fathers, NOT GENTILES)

Acts 10:28 Peter said unto them, Ye know how that it is an """unlawful""" thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean
(PETER TELLS CORNELIUS THE GENTILS CENTURION. """IT'S UNLAWFUL""" FOR A JEW TO KEEP COMPANY WITH GENTILES)

Pre-cross, Jews often referred to Gentiles as "dogs". (See Matt 7:6; Lk 16:21)

Gentiles were considered so ungodly/unclean, being in their presence could make a person ceremonially unclean (Jn 18:28)

Ats 11:19 Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.
(PREACHING UNTO JEWS ONLY! The only Word that these Jews had was the Old Testament)

Matt 27:
50 Jesus, cried with a loud voice & died

51 Behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two, top to bottom
(JESUS DEATH PAYS SINS REQUIRED WAGE. JESUS DEATH COMPLETES HIS WORK OF REDEMPTION. THE OLD LEVITICAL COVENANT ENDS, RIGHT HERE!)

Jewish leadership rejected Messiah their King & had him killed.

Upon His Resurrection the RISEN Christ opens the door of salvation to the Gentiles

Post-Cross: The Gospel of Grace is an indivdually targeted message. Available to ALL

Paul is CHOSEN & SENT to the GENTILES (Acts 26:16-17) by the RESURRECTED LORD JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF!

THE HEAVENLY MESSAGE THE RISEN LORD GIVES TO PAUL
Paul's message; is that FAITH in Jesus Sin Atoning Death, Burial & Resurrection leads to salvation (1 Cor 1:18, 15:1-4, 1 Tim 1:11)

The RISEN Lord gave Paul "a new gospel" (Gal 1:11-12). "Paul’s gospel of grace" (Acts 20:24) was different from the gospel of the Kingdom preached by Jesus & the 12. Rom 2:16, 16.25)

Its focus was not upon the identity of Messiah and His Kingdom promises to the Nation of Israel. But, upon the sin atoning, sacrifical work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul’s gospel of grace was that Christ died for our sins & rose from the dead (1 Cor 15.1-4). This gospel of salvation was not preached during Messiah's earthly ministry by Messiah's or His 12 chosen

Paul referred to this gospel as "my gospel" (Rom 2:16, 16:25, 2 Tim 2:8, Gal 2:2). It was different from the gospel Jesus & the 12 preached. Luke’s Acts account of the Council of Jerusalem make's this clear (Acts 15)

Paul revealed that his gospel was a "secret" (Rom 16:25). Again: The 12 had "NO" understanding Jesus would die & rise from the dead. Lk 18.31-34; Jn 20.3-10

• Agree
Reactions: Dwells
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Most people I know heard the gospel of Jesus without first being told to prepare to hear it.

If your answer is "because the prophets said it would happen", fine, I know that.

I would say...start here Matt 3:2 comentaries presented by bible hub.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
John the baptizer was the one chosen to announce the arrival of the Messiah and to prepare the people who were sheep like and teachable to greet him. After Jesus completed his ministry that preparatory work was no longer needed.

Isaiah 40:3
New International Version
A voice of one calling: "In the wilderness prepare the way for the LORD; make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

John fulfilled that prophesy:

Matthew 3:3
This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah: "A voice of one calling in the wilderness, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for Him.'"

John the baptizer himself admitted this:
John 1:23
John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet: "I am a voice of one calling in the wilderness, 'Make straight the way for the Lord.'"

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Here is an example of something that I personally believe is
comparable to the baptism of John the Baptist........
The crowd of people in this synagogue listening to a fifteen
year old Israeli who had a near death experience is exactly how
revival and awakening can look in the nation of Israel at the beginning.

His testimony verifies this verse;

John 5:45

"Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust."

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is an example of something that I personally believe is
comparable to the baptism of John the Baptist........
The crowd of people in this synagogue listening to a fifteen
year old Israeli who had a near death experience

The Nathan boy didnt even saw Jesus in heaven,
just because those people dont believe in New Testament do not make Jesus disappear from heaven because He stands beside Father in Heaven.

Upvote 0