Why did God kill Ahab after he repented?

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In Kings Ahab is shown to have repented for his sin after Elijah visits him (Kings 1 chapter 21 28-29) but later he allowed lying spirits to send Ahab into battle to kill him. Very confusing to me.

Where does it say that?

Unless i missed something?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

1 Kings 22:6
6 Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets together, about four hundred men, and said to them, “Shall I go to battle against Ramoth-gilead, or shall I refrain?” And they said, “Go up, for the Lord will give it into the hand of the king.”

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
1 Kings 22:6
6 Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets together, about four hundred men, and said to them, “Shall I go to battle against Ramoth-gilead, or shall I refrain?” And they said, “Go up, for the Lord will give it into the hand of the king.”

Thanks, but how does this relate to King Ahab in post #1 and the verses posted?

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Kings Ahab is shown to have repented for his sin after Elijah visits him (Kings 1 chapter 21 28-29) but later he allowed lying spirits to send Ahab into battle to kill him. Very confusing to me.

If you read 1 Kings 22 you will see that Ahab put the true prophet of God into prison. If the Lord had declared disaster upon him, it was a righteous judgment and obviously the character of Ahab hadn't really changed.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Not sure which "repentance" you are referring to, but "be not deceived, God is not mocked." Meanwhile, there are many such cases where even in genuine repentance, God does not remove the natural results, or even his direct earthly punishment for the sin of many people. Witness King David and the story of Bathsheba, and the constant troubles that resulted from that throughout the history of his reign.

Upvote 0

TommySoda

Apr 14, 2018
NY
✟37,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not sure which "repentance" you are referring to, but "be not deceived, God is not mocked." Meanwhile, there are many such cases where even in genuine repentance, God does not remove the natural results, or even his direct earthly punishment for the sin of many people. Witness King David and the story of Bathsheba, and the constant troubles that resulted from that throughout the history of his reign.
God also said that if a man truly repents he will surely live, so repentance can’t save you from consequences but it can save you from death. Because David repented he was allowed to live. This still doesn’t explain why Ahab died after he repented.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
God also said that if a man truly repents he will surely live, so repentance can’t save you from consequences but it can save you from death. Because David repented he was allowed to live. This still doesn’t explain why Ahab died after he repented.
This still doesn’t explain why Ahab died after he repented.
Where is that written?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

1Ki 22:15 So he came to the king. And the king said unto him, Micaiah, shall we go against Ramothgilead to battle, or shall we forbear? And he answered him, Go, and prosper: for the LORD shall deliver it into the hand of the king.
1Ki 22:16 And the king said unto him, How many times shall I adjure thee that thou tell me nothing but that which is true in the name of the LORD?
1Ki 22:17 And he said, I saw all Israel scattered upon the hills, as sheep that have not a shepherd: and the LORD said, These have no master: let them return every man to his house in peace.

He was told what would happen---he went anyway---so, no, he was not in obedience to God.

Adam and Eve repented---they still had to die---we are all under the penalty of death. The saved shall live again for eternity. Doesn't matter what happens on this earth.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ahab decided he wanted to go to war against the king of Aram. He tried to talk Jehosophat to fight with him.

Jehosophat wanted to check first what the Lord had to say about that from the prophet of the Lord.

Ahab stated that he did not want to hear the word of the Lord

If Ahab had truly repented, he would want to hear the word of the Lord. The fact that he did not want to hear the word of the Lord is an indication that he had not truly repented.

But at Jehosophat's insistence, the prophet of the Lord gave both kings a true prophesy: If Ahab went into battle, Ahab would be killed.

Ahab went into battle anyway and was killed.

If Ahab had truly repented, he would have wanted the word of the Lord.

If Ahab had truly repented, he would have obeyed the word of the Lord.

Added:

God laid out Ahab's choices and the consequences of those choices. God told Ahab to choose life.

Ahab refused to choose life; Ahab chose death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

True, and well pointed out. I frankly just don't think Ahab's repentance was anything more than regret.

It's a little like when I was asked by a repeat offender, that if God can forgive and forget, then why can't the church forgive and forget the sin of the repeat offender. I replied that the burned child can forgive the fire for burning him, but he doesn't soon forget that the fire is hot.

God is no fool.

Upvote 0

robycop3

Sep 16, 2014
✟115,462.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ahab was about like a modern criminal who's caught, and who's sorry - sorry he was caught.
Ahab repented for his sins up to that time, but Jezebel soon had him sinning again. And, as was mentioned above, he went into battle, despite the prophecy that he'd be killed in it. He sought to beat that prophecy by dressing as a common soldier, but an arrow labeled "To Whom It May Concern" struck him between the joints of his armor.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0