Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Having just had a wisdom tooth removed, in the following article, I look at wisdom teeth from evolutionary and creationism perspectives.

I'm interested in reasons why God gave us wisdom teeth given they serve no function and often cause problems.

Why did God give us wisdom teeth? : cruciformity

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Having just had a wisdom tooth removed, in the following article, I look at wisdom teeth from evolutionary and creationism perspectives.

I'm interested in reasons why God gave us wisdom teeth given they serve no function and often cause problems.

In the evolutionary perspective portion it was not mentioned that the use of fire enabled foods to be cooked prior to consumption making both chewing and digestion much easier.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I'm sure they either served a purpose at some time or serve a purpose now. I had a lot more compassion on my children's teething problems. My wisdom teeth (still got them) were really painful as they came through. It's handy to have wisdom teeth. They make up for two extractions that I had 20 years ago.

I'm sceptical of any attempt by evolutionists to find fault with God's creation. When I was young, tonsils were routinely removed. Now they are known to serve a purpose. Even the humble appendix has a purpose. Sin has marred the perfection of God's creation. Yet our bodies are still incredible testimonies to the glory of God.

Upvote 0

mcarans

Supporter
Oct 10, 2018
Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the evolutionary perspective portion it was not mentioned that the use of fire enabled foods to be cooked prior to consumption making both chewing and digestion much easier.
Thanks I have fixed that in the article. If it was of interest please feel free to join the subreddit.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I disagree that wisdom teeth serve no function and often cause problems.

I still haven't had mine removed, and my father never had his at all. A doctor told my co-worker and friend from church that his jaws were wide enough for them to come out. In other words, he was born with a mouth that was designed for them. This may suggest that originally we were designed to have them, but as a result of the fall for most people their genetic make-up does not allow it.

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm skeptical of any attempt by evolutionists to find fault with God's creation. When I was young, tonsils were routinely removed. Now they are known to serve a purpose. Even the humble appendix has a purpose. Sin has marred the perfection of God's creation. Yet our bodies are still incredible testimonies to the glory of God.

The appendix originally was much bigger and served a purpose in digestion. Now experts say it is useful if you live in an undeveloped nation without clean food and water. Industralization made it useless to us.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I disagree that wisdom teeth serve no function and often cause problems.

I still haven't had mine removed, and my father never had his at all. A doctor told my co-worker and friend from church that his jaws were wide enough for them to come out. In other words, he was born with a mouth that was designed for them. This may suggest that originally we were designed to have them, but as a result of the fall for most people their genetic make-up does not allow it.

The fall had nothing to do with it. Originally humans had a second jaw bone and a space between the ear canal and that bone. So all humans could open their mouths wide enough to use wisdom teeth. Now, that jaw bone is our three middle ear bones - the hammer, anvil, and stirrup - because evolution resulted in a dietary change that made it useless. So now the mandible is farther back and up in the skull than it used to be, leaving no room for wisdom teeth, which did serve a purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: Queller
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The fall had nothing to do with it. Originally humans had a second jaw bone and a space between the ear canal and that bone. So all humans could open their mouths wide enough to use wisdom teeth. Now, that jaw bone is our three middle ear bones - the hammer, anvil, and stirrup - because evolution resulted in a dietary change that made it useless. Unfortunately the wisdom teeth remained.

Well, that still doesn't explain my friend's case. He does not need to have his removed, nor will it cause him problems in the future. Are you saying he is stuck in evolution limbo?

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm interested in reasons why God gave us wisdom teeth given they serve no function and often cause problems...

One function could be that, if person loses teeth, there would be spare one to come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your friend is lucky. I don't know anyone who did not have to get them taken out.
I did not have to have then taken out. They fit quite nicely in my mouth. I think I shall propose that we have wisdom teeth because we have the potential to be wise but if we waste that potential the wisdom teeth will not flourish and will have to be removed instead of becoming a central part of our tooth assortment. I say this in all humility and with a face not quite straight.

• Haha
Reactions: mcarans
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
One function could be that, if person loses teeth, there would be spare one to come.

Nope. What if the teeth you lose are canines or incisors? Wisdom teeth are molars.

BTW the way I knew to go to the dentist was one tooth was infected. Since the infection was behind my last molar, it was obviously a wisdom tooth. The dentist told me all four had to come out.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The appendix originally was much bigger and served a purpose in digestion. Now experts say it is useful if you live in an undeveloped nation without clean food and water. Industralization made it useless to us.
Other "experts" say that it can help to restore balance to the intestines after an illness. One thing for sure about experts. They know nothing for certain. That's why there is a new textbook every year in most disciplines. Sometimes "expert" advice is dangerous. The obesity explosion is partly due to terrible advice from dieticians. Now the guidelines are being revised (again). The only thing that the human race gets right is in the field of mathematics and related subjects. Even the finest minds can't find a way to mess with 2 + 2 = 4. Oh, they are trying, but with no success as yet.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There seems to be a modern fixation by the dental profession on removing wisdom teach, as well as the rite of passage for children of straightening otherwise perfectly healthy and normal teeth. I was blessed with abundant room in both jaws for all four wisdom teeth. As things would have it, only one came in. I was badgered for years by dentists to pluck it as it served no purpose in their view. I finally succumbed to their pressure and allowed it to be extracted. I am none the worse for wear, but, if, and when, my molars wear down I will not have my lone wisdom tooth to comfort me in my dotage as I attempt to chew on my food.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Well, that still doesn't explain my friend's case. He does not need to have his removed, nor will it cause him problems in the future. Are you saying he is stuck in evolution limbo?
Evolution is a myth.
Nope. What if the teeth you lose are canines or incisors? Wisdom teeth are molars.

BTW the way I knew to go to the dentist was one tooth was infected. Since the infection was behind my last molar, it was obviously a wisdom tooth. The dentist told me all four had to come out.
Having lost two molars, I know the value of my wisdom teeth. If evolution was true, you would think that mankind would have evolved to replace decaying teeth or repair them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Teeth are surprisingly curious. One might think all of us share the same characteristics of teeth, but we don't. In fact, after a human body is reduced nothing other than its teeth, it is quite reliable to identify the deceased using dental charts in comparison with the remaining teeth.

I have a friend who got a complete third set of teeth around the age of 20. The only problem was that, unlike baby teeth which naturally fall out when the next set comes in, his second set remained firmly in place and he had to undergo lengthy and painful surgery to remove the third set before they came in and crowded around his second set.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Evolution is a myth.

Having lost two molars, I know the value of my wisdom teeth. If evolution was true, you would think that mankind would have evolved to replace decaying teeth or repair them.

We haqve two big sections of the forum just for that nonsensical debate. But I can say one thing about it: this very topic about our jaws is undisputable proof of evolution. Without evolution, mammals would have two jaw bones and no bones in their middle ears. This happened to all mammals, including humans.

You would most definitely not think that about mankind. Ever. Using this logic, the entire body would regenerate. We are not cephalepods.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We haqve two big sections of the forum just for that nonsensical debate. But I can say one thing about it: this very topic about our jaws is undisputable proof of evolution. Without evolution, mammals would have two jaw bones and no bones in their middle ears.

One thing I do find curious, as I noted in previous posts, is the really wide diversity of teeth among humans. Do you think these are natural mutations on a really wide scale, or something else?

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
One thing I do find curious, as I noted in previous posts, is the really wide diversity of teeth among humans. Do you think these are natural mutations on a really wide scale, or something else?

There also is a very wide diversity in joint flexibility among people who do the same physical activites and this is an individual thing. Jaws are like any other hinge joint, except two must move at the same time for either one to work. This is why some people can keep their wisdom teeth in and others like me could not.

What is the wide diversity of teeth? All humans get the same 28. Most people get four more later.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There also is a very wide diversity in joint flexibility among people who do the same physical activites and this is an individual thing. Jaws are like any other hinge joint, except two must move at the same time for either one to work. This is why some people can keep their wisdom teeth in and others like me could not.

What is the wide diversity of teeth? All humans get the same 28. Most people get four more later.

Actually, the sizes and shapes of teeth show a remarkable diversity. Although most humans do get 48 (yes, 48 - 20 baby teeth plus 28 adult teeth) not all do and teeth have an amazing ability to move around the jaw (just ask any orthodontist).

Upvote 0