Why did God create a seemingly competitor for himself?

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Cause for God to be good, there must be something that is bad.

God wants you to choose between the good, and the bad.

Ideally he wants you to choose him, so you can be with him for eternity, but some poor souls have unwittingly chosen Satan.

Basically, he wants you to want him, over anything else.

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

mcarmichael

Novice
Sep 8, 2014
✟56,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Cause for God to be good, there must be something that is bad.

God wants you to choose between the good, and the bad.

Ideally he wants you to choose him, so you can be with him for eternity, but some poor souls have unwittingly chosen Satan.

No. There is a saying, "There is no virtue without temptation", which may be used to explain why the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was placed in the garden, but it doesn't go any further than that.

In James it says "God tempteth no man, but each man is tempted when ...", and so on. In 1 John, "God is light, and in Him is no darkness whatsoever."
So, save your questions for later. Haha.

Upvote 0

Skylos

Feb 10, 2017
Ft Stewart, GA
✟16,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes He is light, but He created everything. For darkness to exist aside from God is saying He did not create darkness. He may not adhere to darkness, but He surely created it.

Isaiah 45:7 in the King James Version reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

Am I out of context?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
People like to speculate on this.

Romans 9
17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.

Proverbs 16
4 The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

Upvote 0

Skylos

Feb 10, 2017
Ft Stewart, GA
✟16,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Excellent piece of scripture to refer to my question. Thank you for being mindful.

Fear is always a factor, because we are so weak. Without God's favor, eternal fire is what awaits us. Thank God for the gift that He has given those whom He has chosen to give it to.

It's incredible the lengths that God goes to show us, mere humans, the full spectrum of His love and hate.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its like the question "If God knew the devil would fall as an angel, then would make Adam/Eve bit the apple....etc, why would God even let him fall? Why not just stop it from happening?". And the truth is.... why does it matter? We don't have all the answers and it won't change anything. Whats important to remember is He loves us beyond our understanding of love. So much so that he threw us a life raft so we don't go down with the ship when He didn't have to offer us any life raft. Aka Jesus coming down so we don't (if we choose to) die and go to hell.

I used to have alot of questions during my younger years. Many of which made me mad at God. But eventually I realized its not important. Hes God. Who am I to think I understand why God does things how He does. He knows whats best for us. I just have faith and trust in Him!

• Agree
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

Skylos

Feb 10, 2017
Ft Stewart, GA
✟16,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who am I to think I understand why God does things how He does. He knows whats best for us. I just have faith and trust in Him!

QFT. Very good question. Reversely, whom does God know we are?...only He does. Whom knows the bounds of God's Word?...only He.

He's not afraid of our questions for He holds all truths. I have an intimate relationship with Christ, in which I'm so thankful for, and hold my own questions subjectively. So why not ask?

Does our reason run out? Absolutely. Do we know the limit of our reason? It might depend how many times you knock.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe God created evil. Evil is a lie. The devil is a lie. It is just the absence of good. The sun shines in the day and darkest disappears.....when the earth turns away, darkness isnt created.....there is no ball of darkness that shines black.....it just appears dark because the light is hidden.

Adam and eve was always naked, it became bad when they decided to see Good and evil. But there is only God. Even If I make my bed in hell He is there with me.....

Therefore let you light shine. When you walk into a dark room and turn on the light, darkness disappears. When you walk in a room with your light on, darkness disappears. Turn on your light and see only God. Leave it off and see condemnation, sin, hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its like the question "If God knew the devil would fall as an angel, then would make Adam/Eve bit the apple....etc, why would God even let him fall? Why not just stop it from happening?". And the truth is.... why does it matter?

No the truth is that it was all allowed for His glory

God is not Cheap Trick. He doesn't want you to want Him. He knows and has revealed in His Word that man is incapable of seeking Him and that it is He who chooses us not we who choose Him.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Grammar Nazis aside, you understand my question: Satan.

My faith covers all of the questions that won't ever be answered in this life. But the questions still remain as long as I'm given the gift to ask them.

Why does God want the jealousy?

God did not create Satan.

God created Lucifer, who was created perfect in his ways, until...

You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created,
Till iniquity was found in you. Ezekiel 28:15

Lucifer the light bearer, the angel who was perfect in his ways, BECAME Satan the enemy.

JLB

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟166,984.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes He is light, but He created everything. For darkness to exist aside from God is saying He did not create darkness. He may not adhere to darkness, but He surely created it.

Isaiah 45:7 in the King James Version reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

Am I out of context?
That section means "evil" is calamity distress etc, as in peace there is the opposite calamity. Christ is not the minister of sin.

• Agree
Reactions: Alawishis
Upvote 0

kcmonseysr

Christian Zionist
Jan 27, 2014
NEPA -USA
Visit site
✟30,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It would seem that God created not an evil being in the person of he who became known as the adversary, but rather a perfect being with high honor who had free will and made his choice:

14"You were the anointed cherub who covers, And I placed you there. You were on the holy mountain of God; You walked in the midst of the stones of fire. 15 "You were blameless in your ways From the day you were created Until unrighteousness was found in you.16 "By the abundance of your trade You were internally filled with violence, And you sinned; Therefore I have cast you as profane From the mountain of God. And I have destroyed you, O covering cherub, From the midst of the stones of fire.… Ezekiel 28:14-16

Do not even our Sci-Fi movies agree/illustrate to us that it's really no great honor to have a robot act lovingly towards its creator? :bow: Hence God created beings with free will, men as well as angels. To fallen men He has offered redemption, to fallen angels not so much.

Upvote 0

david.d

Oct 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
✟27,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lucifer was a cherubim, which meant he protected God's treasure. Ezekiel 28. He was perfect and wanted to be God, so he tempted man, God's treasure, to take man from God. That was his original sin and man's came from that sin. God created evil, because good is the opposite of evil. How can something be good if there is no bad? Lucifer became evil, by disobeying God, he was not created evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Germatria1128

Seeker of Truth, Eater of Chocolate
Jan 30, 2016
Virginia
✟9,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Lucifer was a cherubim, which meant he protected God's treasure. Ezekiel 28. He was perfect and wanted to be God, so he tempted man, God's treasure, to take man from God. That was his original sin and man's came from that sin. God created evil, because good is the opposite of evil. How can something be good if there is no bad? Lucifer became evil, by disobeying God, he was not created evil.
Another great question is: If God is omnipotent and hates evil, why hasn't he destroyed Lucifer / Satan already? What is God waiting around for? Even more evil to be sown by Satan and his demons in the Universe and the Heavens?

I believe the answer to that question is: God, The Heavenly Father, still deeply loves Lucifer / Satan. He is likely repulsed by his behavior yet still loves him as a Father. Think of Christ's parable of the Prodigal Son and assign the character of prodigal son to Satan.

So what made Lucifer go off the tracks? Possibly Jesus, the only begotten son sparked immense jealousy in Lucifer? Also, Lucifer thought he himself could reign as the Father?

So, what do you think, does God the Father STILL deeply love Lucifer?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,748.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

My faith covers all of the questions that won't ever be answered in this life. But the questions still remain as long as I'm given the gift to ask them.

Because God never created a "competitor". He created everything very good, remember. The fall of Lucifer is the reason. Maybe you should read this thread:

Why did God say He created evil?

• Winner
Reactions: DrBubbaLove
Upvote 0

Fishsack

Dec 4, 2016
boston, ma
✟8,606.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hello My dear friend, I think God poured his Love into a creation who betrayed him, speaks highly of the abundant love that God has for all his creations. This angel :( betrayed him because it wants to be like God our heavenly father. God trusts and loves abundantly. its a shame that we humans are just as conniving. Just my opinion.

Have a blessed day My friend, May God grant you wisdom.

Upvote 0

Fishsack

Dec 4, 2016
boston, ma
✟8,606.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe God created evil. Evil is a lie. The devil is a lie. It is just the absence of good. The sun shines in the day and darkest disappears.....when the earth turns away, darkness isnt created.....there is no ball of darkness that shines black.....it just appears dark because the light is hidden.

Adam and eve was always naked, it became bad when they decided to see Good and evil. But there is only God. Even If I make my bed in hell He is there with me.....

Therefore let you light shine. When you walk into a dark room and turn on the light, darkness disappears. When you walk in a room with your light on, darkness disappears. Turn on your light and see only God. Leave it off and see condemnation, sin, hell.

I literarilly had swallow the gulp in the back of my throat after reading your reply. Woh dude, LOL... look around you, Evil is everywhere, how can you not see it? I mean to say Evil doesn't exist is to say exactly this "we cook food but we dont use fire/heat" and to say the devil isn't real is to say exactly this "bible isn't real, neither is christianity, neither is the prophets of renown, neither is Jesus, neither is his suffering, and what about prophesies of revelation that lines up with the events that are occuring today, well heck no, that aint real either" ......................then I say to you, how do you know your God and trust in him if you deny the simple things that are infront of you. simple as in O....M....G....

brother.......wake up.

Upvote 0

kangaroodort

Jan 8, 2016
NH
✟10,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First, I would say we just do not know much about Satan. Some here refer to him as "Lucifer" but that is based on a poor translation from the KJV of Isaiah 14:12 which turned a Hebrew phrase that means something like "son of the morning" into a proper name. It is also not clear that Isaiah 14 or Ezekiel 28 have reference to Satan. They are prophecies about earthly people. Some of the language seems to go way beyond what could be said about these earthly people, but it is also poetic language that is filled with hyperbolic imagery. So it is possible that Ezekiel and Isaiah were describing a majestic fallen angel who would later be known as Satan and using his fall as an objective lesson for the prideful rulers being judged in those passages, but we simply cannot be sure of that.

The word "Satan" simply means adversary or enemy. It is more of a descriptive noun or title. It is not a proper name. This is why Jesus called Peter "satan" in Matthew 16:23, because at that moment Peter was opposing Christ's mission. He had become an adversary (a satan) to the will of God. I doubt it was anything more than that, despite the common line that Jesus was calling Peter the devil (especially when we consider the fact that the devil was instrumental in having Jesus killed, which is the opposite of what Peter was saying here). In fact, the angel of the LORD is called a "satan" in the OT when he opposed Balaam while on his way to Balak. Numbers 22:22 says, "But God was angry because he was going, and the angel of the LORD took his stand in the way as an adversary [literally: as a satan] against him." So much of what is said in Christian circles about Satan is based more on Christian folklore, tradition and speculation than strict and explicit Biblical data.

However, I do think we can assume that Satan was at one time an angelic being, and God certainly did create him. But the idea being brought up here is that God created him specifically as an enemy, and that is not the case. Whatever he was when he was created, he was not evil. At some point this being chose to rebel against God. This might have even corresponded with the fall of man. Satan fell when he tempted Adam and Eve to sin, possibly because he was jealous of the dominion God gave them over the earth, or the special status they had as being made in God's image. Who knows (and this would make sense of Jesus saying he was a "liar from the beginning", meaning the beginning of the world, not the beginning of his existence).

So this being turned on God at some point (again, possibly in his act of tempting Eve Adam and Eve). Did God foreknow this when he created him? I think so, just as God foreknows our rebellion. But this does not mean God caused him to rebel. And it is not like God could "not create" him based on foreknowledge of his future rebellion, because that would end up falsifying God's foreknowledge of him as created being who would eventually rebel (since there would then never be such a being for God to know anything about), and God cannot be wrong.

So the answer is similar to why God created us, knowing we would fall. He created us for good purposes and with good intentions, but we fouled that up. But he gifted us with freedom so we could have a genuine relationship with Him, not so we could sin against Him. However, God knew we would misuse the gift of freedom he gave us and made provisions for our redemption. But why not beings like satan and other fallen angels? Well, we just don't know. The Bible doesn't tell us. It could be that as purely spiritual beings with direct knowledge of God and a higher form of intelligence, such decisions would end up being irrevocable for them, so that once such a decision was made, there could be no turning back. But again, that is all speculation. The main point is that God did not create the being that would be later known as satan so that he could have an enemy. While he would indeed become God's enemy, that was not God's purpose or intention for him when he was created, just as it was not God's intention for Adam and Eve to disobey in the garden.

• Agree
Reactions: DrBubbaLove
Upvote 0