Why Did D. M. Canright leave the Seventh-Day Adventists?

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Well that is not truth at all. The post and scriptures in them that disagree with you show the conditions for receiving God's Spirit. You did not read it now did you.

What we need to receive God's Spirit is to REPENT. We don't receive God's Spirit by keeping the law.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What we need to receive God's Spirit is to REPENT. We don't receive God's Spirit by keeping the law.

There is a difference between God's Spirit drawing us to God and convicting us of sin and righteousness and of judgment to come *JOHN 16:8 and those who are born again and are free to walk in God's Spirit *GALATIANS 5:16; 1 JOHN 3:3-10.

The difference between the children of God and the children of the devil is sin *1 JOHN 3:9; 1 JOHN 2:3-4. When we are in sin God's Spirit is on the outside knocking on the door to come in. In those who repent and are born again God's Spirit is on the inside. Those who knowingly practice sin (breaking any of God's 10 commandments) do not know God and do not have God's Spirit *1 JOHN 2:3-4; 1 JOHN 3:3-10.

God's Spirit works through God's WORD because he is the Spirit of the Word * JOHN 10:17; JOHN 6:63; JOHN 17:17; JOHN 14:6. As shown above in the scriptures in post # 342 linked already none have God's Spirit while living in a life of known unrepentand sin.

Which ever way you wish to spin it. If anyone is KNOWINGLY breaking any of God's 10 commandments it is God's WORD alone that says they do not LOVE or KNOW GOD and do not have God's Spirit. *1 JOHN 2:3-4; JOHN 14:15; 15:10. This is the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil *1 JOHN 3:3-10. Those who continue in KNOWN unrepentance sin will not enter into the kingdom of Heaven *HEBREWS 10:26-27 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

God's Spirit leads us to repentance. This is not the same as those who are free to walk in God's Spirit. If we have God's Spirit we are not practicing sin *GALATIANS 5:16. You are not reading my posts are you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
There is a difference between God's Spirit drawing us to convicting us of sin and righteousness *JOHN 16:8. He does this through God's WORD because he is the Spirit of the Word * JOHN 10:17; JOHN 6:63; JOHN 17:17; JOHN 14:6. As shown above in the scriptures in post # 342 linked already none have God's Spirit while living in a life of known unrepentand sin.

Which ever way you wish to spin it. If anyone is KNOWINGLY breaking any of God's 10 commandments it is God's WORD alone that says they do not LOVE or KNOW GOD and do not have God's Spirit. *1 JOHN 2:3-4; JOHN 14:15; 15:10. This is the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil *1 JOHN 3:3-10. Those who continue in KNOWN unrepentance sin will not enter into the kingdom of Heaven *HEBREWS 10:26-27 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23.

Hope this helps

I see you are still believing the apostle John was speaking of the Ten Commandments when using the word "commandments" and not the commandments in the context of his writings.

1 John 3:23
And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

John 15:10
10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
God's Spirit leads us to repentance. This is not the same as those who are free to walk in God's Spirit. If we have God's Spirit we are not practicing sin *GALATIANS 5:16. You are not reading my posts are you.

Correct, if we have God's Spirit we are not committing sin.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I see you are still believing the apostle John was speaking of the Ten Commandments when using the word "commandments" and not the commandments in the context of his writings.

I see your still leaving out the context of the scriptures you provide. Let's add the context back in.

1 John 3:23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

Let's look at the CONTEXT of 1 John 3:23.

1 JOHN 1:5-9
JOHN starts off his apistle of 1 JOHN in 1 JOHN 1:5-9 where he opens and says that if we do not walk in the light (truth) of God's WORD we are not following God where he finishes in v9 stating that if we CONFESS our sins then JESUS is faithful and just to forgive us for our sins and to CLEANSE us from all SIN.

We then move on to 1 JOHN 2 where JOHN gives us the reason for writting his epistle. Pay very close attention to why and the reason JOHN is writting this epistle in v1.

1 JOHN 2:1-4.
[1], MY LITTLE CHILDREN, THESE THINGS I WRITE UNTO YOU THAT YOU SIN NOT. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

NOTE: This is very important as it states the very reason why JOHN is writting the epistle of all of 1 JOHN and that is that WE SIN NOT!

[2], And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
[3], And HEREBY WE KNOW THAT WE KNOW HIM IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS .
[4], HE THAT SAYS I KNOW HIM AND DOES NOT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS IS A LIAR AND THE TRUTH IS NOT IN HIM. <Remember 1 JOHN 1:5-6 walking in light and darkness>

NOTE: Same theme being presented in v3-4 those who walk in darkness do not keep God's Commandments. God's people keep God's Commandments. The context is that we SIN NOT.
Now to show that we are talking about God's 10 commandments here we need to define from God's WORD what sin is as the reason for JOHNS epeistle is that we SIN not.

WHAT IS SIN?

NEW TESTAMENT SCRIPTURES

JAMES 2:8-12
[8], If ye fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself, ye do well:
[9], But if ye have respect to persons, YOU COMMIT SIN, AND ARE CONVINCED OF THE LAW AS TRANSGRESSORS.
[10], For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
[11] For he that said, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, said also, DO NOT KILL. Now if thou commit NO ADULTERY, yet if thou KILL, YOU ARE BECOME A TRANSGRESSOR OF GOD'S LAW

Yep, James is pretty clear if we brake ANY of God's Law (10 commandments) then we are a TRANSGRESSOR of God's LAW and commit SIN. James quotes two of the 10 Commandments saying that if we break them we commit sin v9 that are summed up in the 2nd great commandments of LOVE to God and LOVE to our neighbour in v11. Maybe you missed that one?

ROMANS 7:7 [7], What shall we say then? is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I HAD NOT KNOWN SIN, BUT BY THE LAW: for I had not known lust, EXCEPT THE LAW HAD SAID YOU SHALL NOT COVET.

Well here we have Paul in agreement with James and John also telling us that he did not know what sin was without God's 10 Commandments. SIN is breaking God's commandments and Paul uses the 10th commandment as an example of breaking any of God's LAW (10 commandments) = SIN (Exodus 20:17)

links to...

1 JOHN 3:4 [4] Whosoever commits SIN transgresses also the law: for SIN is the transgression of the law.

John is saying the same thing as James and Paul and states that if we TRANSGRESS God's LAW then we commit SIN because SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF GOD'S LAW. So it is very clear that SIN is breaking ANY of God's LAW (10 commandments). We will look at the chapter context John uses v15 of MURDER as an example of sin which is God's 6th Command of the 10.

Sin is indeed defined in God's WORD as breaking any of the 10 Commandments in both the OLD and NEW TESTAMENT scriptures.

NOTE: So now we see from God's WORD that sin is defined as the transgression of ANY of God's 10 Commandments. This links to 1 JOHN 2:1 which shows the reason for JOHN'S EPISTLE is that we SIN not (do not break God's Commandments) this is the context of 1 JOHN 2:3-4 so if SIN is defined in God's WORD as breaking Gods 10 commandments then the COMMANDMENTS spoken about in 1 JOHN 2:3-4 is God's 10 Commandments.

1 JOHN 2:3-4
[3], And HEREBY WE KNOW THAT WE KNOW HIM IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS .
[4], HE THAT SAYS I KNOW HIM AND DOES NOT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS IS A LIAR AND THE TRUTH IS NOT IN HIM.

NOTE: Context is sin, in v1 that we sin not; God's WORD defines sin as breaking God's 10 Commandments then commandments being referred to here are the 10 Commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is *ROMANS 3:20)

SUMMARY SO FAR 1 JOHN 1 and 1 JOHN 2; Those who walk in darkness or do not follow the truth of God's WORD are not following God. The reason why JOHN is writing the Epistle of 1 JOHN is that we DO NOT SIN. God's WORD defines SIN as the breaking of ANY ONE of God's 10 Commandments. The CONTEXT of 1 JOHN 2:3-4 is 1 JOHN 1:2 that we SIN NOT. Therefore the Commandments being spoken of in 1 JOHN 2:3-4 is the 10 Commandments.

Ok we have seen that the CONTEXT of 1 JOHN 1 and 2 and the reason why JOHN is writing this epistle is that we SIN NOT or do not break ANY of God's 10 Commandments. If we do sin we have an advocate with the farther. The commandments being discussed here are the 10 commandments which define what sin is. Let's continue on in 1 JOHN 3 where JOHN is continuing the same topic and thoughts as Chapter 1 and Chapter 2.

1 JOHN 3:3-15
[3], And every man that hath this hope in him purifies himself, even as he is pure.
[4], Whosoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

NOTE: JOHN is continuing his theme; that we sin not or do not break any of God's 10 Commandments

[5], And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
[6], Whosoever abides in him sins not [does not break God's 10 Commandments]: whosoever sins [breaks God's 10 Commandments] hath not seen him, neither known him

NOTE: v6 links to what JOHN says in 1 JOHN 2:3-4. v4 HE THAT SAYS I KNOW HIM AND DOES NOT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS IS A LIAR AND THE TRUTH IS NOT IN HIM

[7], Little children, let no man deceive you: he that does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

NOTE
: Righteousness is defined as not breaking God's Commandments *PSALMS 119:172

[8], He that commits sin [breaks God's 10 Commandments] is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

[9], Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin [does not knowingly break God's 10 Commandments]; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

NOTE: The born again believer does not practice known sin or does not knowingly break any one of God's 10 Commandments.

[10], In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever does not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loves not his brother.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is the distinguishing point and shows who God's children are and the children of the devil. The children of God do not knowingly practice sin or keep God's 10 commandments. The Children of the devil practice sin or break any one of God's 10 Commandments. This also links back what JOHN says the the previous chapter in 1 JOHN 2:3-4 [3], And HEREBY WE KNOW THAT WE KNOW HIM IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS .
[4], HE THAT SAYS I KNOW HIM AND DOES NOT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS IS A LIAR AND THE TRUTH IS NOT IN HIM
. The same is outlined of the children of God in ROMANS 3:31; ROMANS 13:8-10; REVELATION 12:17; REVALATION 14:12 and REVELATION 22:14.

[11], For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

NOTE: Because LOVE is the fulfilling of God's LAW in all those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD and is why JESUS says ON THESE TWO great commandments of LOVE HANG ALL THE LAW and the prophets *MATTHEW 22:36-40; ROMANS 13:8-10.

[12], Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
[13], Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
[14], We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loves not his brother abides in death.
[15], Whosoever hates his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

NOTE:
The context here is still that we sin not or break any of God's 10 Commandments. JOHN is using the example of Cain and Able and MURDER, which is Gods 6th commandment *EXODUS 20:13

CONCLUSION
: ALL the CONTEXT here is for 1 JOHN 1:23 which is talking about BELIEVING God's WORD and LOVE. The CONTEXT is that anyone who breaks any of God's 10 Commandments does not know GOD. This is the difference between the Children of God and the children of the devil.

In the next post we will see God's WORD teaches that that faith in God's WORD that works by LOVE as mentioned in 1 JOHN 3:23 whose context is not breaking any of God's 10 Commandment is expressed by not breaking God's 10 commandments.

to be continued...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
LOVE IS THE FULFILLING OF GOD’S LAW IT IS NOT SEPARATE FROM LOVE

NOTE:
This study continue on from what it means to BELIEVE and LOVE from the CONTEXT of BREAKING any one of God's 10 commandment already shown in 1 JOHN 1:5-9, 1 JOHN 2:1-4 and 1 JOHN 3:3-15 which are all the context of 1 JOHN 3:23.

You cannot separate God’s Law of love from the 10 commandments because they are connected to each other. There is no need for confusion here. God’s Word makes it very clear. Let's look at the scriptures.

MATTHEW 22:36-40
[36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
[37], Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38], This is the first and great commandment.
[39], And the second is like to it, You shall love your neighbour as yourself.
[40], ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS.

NOTE: Jesus when asked this question from the Lawyer is quoting from Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18. Finishes by saying that on the two great commandments of LOVE hang all the law and the prophets.

What does v40 mean?

LUKE 10:25-28
[25], And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tested him, saying, Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
[26], He said unto him, what is written in the law? how read you?
[27], And he [the Lawyer] answering said, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as yourself.
[28], And he said unto him, you have answered right: this do, and you shall live.

NOTE: The lawyer knew what it means to love God and love his neighbore. How? Notice the question that the lawyer starts os by asking Jesus; "WHAT SHALL I DO TO INHERIT ETERNAL LIFE?". Now notice that the very same question is asked again and look how Jesus answers...

MATTHEW 19:16-19
[16], And, behold, one came and said to him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
[17], And he said to him, Why call you me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but IF YOU WILL ENTER INTO LIFE, KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS.
[18], He said to him, Which? Jesus said, YOU SHALL DO NO MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT LIE, [19], HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER; and you shall love your neighbour as yourself.
Honor your father and your mother: and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

NOTE: Notice in that the question from the rich young ruler is the very same question as asked by the lawyer "WHAT SHALL I DO TO INHERIT ETERNAL LIFE?" but both were answered by Jesus in a different way. When the Lawer asked the question he answered his own question by saying LOVE to GOD and LOVE to his neighbor (from Deuteronomy 6:5; Leviticus 19:18). Jesus said he answered correctly. When the rich yound ruler asked the same question Jesus answered by saying keep the 10 Commandments and starts out quoting them as his duty of LOVE to his neighbor.

Is this a contradiction of scripture? In no way the answer has already been given in MATTHEW 22:36-40. ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS (LOVE TO GOD and LOVE TO MAN) HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS.

When we LOVE GOD and our NEIGHBOUR it is expressed through our actions.

If we LOVE our neighbor...

* We will honor our parents,
* We will not kill them
* We will not commit adultery with thier spouse
* We will not steal from them
* We will not lie to them
* We will not covet what they own.

If we LOVE our God...

* We will not have other Gods
* We will not make idols and worship them
* We will not take his name [follow] him in vain
* We will remember his Sabbath and keep it holy.

ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS [OF LOVE] HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS.

PAUL understood what JESUS was talking about...

ROMANS 13:8-10
[8], Owe no man anything, but to love one another: for he that loves another has fulfilled the law. [9], For this, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, You shall not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, namely, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. [10], Love works no ill to his neighbor: therefore, love is the fulfilling [DOING] of the law.

Notice what PAUL says here? LOVE is fulfilling [doing] God's Commandments. God's Commandments or duty towards your neighbor is summed up as you shall LOVE your neighbor as yourself v9. [On these two commandments hang ALL THE LAW and the prophets Matthew 22:40].

PAUL agrees with Jesus that if you LOVE you will fulfill God's LAW. What about JAMES?

JAMES 2:8-12
[8] If you fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, You shall love your neighbor as yourself [Sums up our duty of love in the 10 Commandments Romans 13:9] , you do well: [9], But if you have respect to persons, you commit sin, and are convicted of the law as transgressors. [10], For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. [11], For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if you commit no adultery, yet you kill, you are become a transgressor of the law. [12], So speak, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

James is using the second great commandment of LOVE which hangs all the commandments of our duty of love to our neighbour and quotes the commandments showing our duty towards our neighbor. This is why Jesus says “On these two commandments hang ALL THE LAW and the prophets” Matthew 22:40. and again..

JOHN 14:15 [15], IF YOU LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS.

You cannot separate LOVE from God’s LAW. Love is the FULFILLING of it and is demonstrated by OBEDIENCE to Gods’ LAW as our duty of LOVE to God and man. [“On these two commandments [of LOVE] hang ALL THE LAW and the prophets]

CONCLUSION: It is very clear that JESUS, PAUL and JAMES are all in agreement that the two GREAT COMMANDMENTS of LOVE that JESUS quoted from Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18 were used and known in the OLD Testament scripture to sum up our duty of LOVE to God and man in the 10 Commandments.... God's LAW (Ten commandments) is not separated from LOVE it demonstrates it. You cannot have LOVE without fulfilling God's Ten Commandments. [On these two Commandments of LOVE hang all the LAW and the prophets].

LOVE is the NEW COVENANT promise to OBEY God's LAW *HEBREWS 8:10-12; ROMANS 13:8-10. WE enter into God's NEW COVENANT to LOVE unless we are BORN AGAIN...

JOHN 3:3-7
[3], Jesus answered and said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

WHY do we need to be born again? As shown through the scriptures we have no LOVE.

1 JOHN 4:7-8 [7], Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loves is born of God, and knows God. [8], He that loves not knows not God; for God is love.

NOTE: Sound familiar? 1 JOHN 2:1-4; 1 JOHN 3:6; 1 JOHN 3:9 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets *MATTHEW 22:36-40.

1 JOHN 4:12 No man has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwells in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1 JOHN 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God has to us. God is love; and he that dwells in love dwells in God, and God in him.

1 JOHN 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hates his brother, he is a liar [JESUS says they gave committed murder in their heart -Matthew 5:20-22] for he that loves not his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

1 JOHN 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. [ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS - MATTHEW 22:36-40]

Continuing.

[4], Nicodemus said to him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
[5], Jesus answered, Truly, truly, I say to you, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
[6], That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
[7], Marvel not that I said to you, You must be born again.

He that is BORN of GOD does not commit sin because sin is breaking how God's LOVE is EXPRESSED through OBEDIENCE to God's WORD. This is expressed in a different way in 1 JOHN 3..

1 JOHN 3:3-10 [3], And every man that has this hope in him purifies himself, even as he is pure.
[4], Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
[5], And you know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
[6], Whoever stays in him sins not: whoever sins has not seen him, neither known him.
[7], Little children, let no man deceive you: he that does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

[8], He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose, the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
[9], Whoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

[10], In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whoever does not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loves not his brother.

NONE LOVE GOD or their fellow man while breaking any of God's 10 COMMANDMENTS as LOVE is an EXPRESSION of OBEYING them. You cannot separate the 10 Commandments from LOVE they are the very expression of what LOVE is and LOVE is the fulfilling of them under the NEW COVENANT promise * HEBREWS 8:10-12

Everything written in these last two posts are the CONTEXT you leave out of 1 JOHN 3:23.

Can you see your error here sister?

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

In times of ignorance God winks at but now, <when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It is fun to see what you highlight, but it is very telling what you don't. You also pointed to James 2:8-12 but left off verse 12, the key to the whole passage. The Law of Liberty/New Covenant. James is comparing the old with the new, but you are so focused on the Ten Commandments, you don't know the difference.

What you don't realize about me is I'm not a proponent of sinning like some of the greasy grace type that believes all they have to do is have faith in Jesus and then they can do as their carnal hearts desire. That a Christian cannot do, because of the Spirit.

1 John 3:4 is about willful sin. Willful sin a Christian cannot do, as they have been given the overwhelming desire to be righteous. You like to bring up verse 4 in your posts, even though verse 5 (which you didn't highlight) is the answer to the problem of verse 4.

1 John 2:1 says it is possible to not sin, but if we do sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus. Tell me what type of sin, if committed, will Jesus be our Advocate? Murder? Stealing?

Tell me what you believe Jesus will advocate, when no repentance is mentioned?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is fun to see what you highlight, but it is very telling what you don't. You also pointed to James 2:8-12 but left off verse 12, the key to the whole passage. The Law of Liberty/New Covenant. James is comparing the old with the new, but you are so focused on the Ten Commandments, you don't know the difference.

What you don't realize about me is I'm not a proponent of sinning like some of the greasy grace type that believes all they have to do is have faith in Jesus and then they can do as their carnal hearts desire. That a Christian cannot do, because of the Spirit.

1 John 3:4 is about willful sin. Willful sin a Christian cannot do, as they have been given the overwhelming desire to be righteous. You like to bring up verse 4 in your posts, even though verse 5 (which you didn't highlight) is the answer to the problem of verse 4.

1 John 2:1 says it is possible to not sin, but if we do sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus. Tell me what type of sin, if committed, will Jesus be our Advocate? Murder? Stealing?

Tell me what you believe Jesus will advocate, when no repentance is mentioned?

Once again you did not read those posts did you. How sad for you. We will have to agree to disagree with our discussions of the scriptures. It is not a discussion if you ignore the other persons posts and scriptures and do not read them.

It is God's WORD not mine you are free to believe as you wish. Ignoring God's WORD does not make it dissappear. We all answer only to God come judgment day for believing or rejecting his Word *JOHN 12:47-48. I will pray and hope to see you in God's Kingdom.

May God help you as you seek him through his Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

liberty of conscience

created anew
Dec 3, 2018
Visistate
Visit site
✟12,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1 John 3:23
And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

John 15:10
10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

Jas 4:12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

Jesus said:

Joh_12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

Indeed, the commandment to [1A] believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ and [1B] love one another, as he gave us commandment is found even from the beginning.

The "His commandments" are God's (the Father's; vs 21).

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Believe on Jesus Christ is found even in Genesis 3:15.

The Law of God, the Law of Love is also found there too, and throughout:

LOVE one another, as Jesus has loved us:

God first:

Deu 6:1 Now these are the commandments (Deuteronomy 5:6-21; Exodus 20:1-17), the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:
Deu 6:2 That thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged.
Deu 6:3 Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it; that it may be well with thee, and that ye may increase mightily, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath promised thee, in the land that floweth with milk and honey.
Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
Deu 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
Deu 6:6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

mankind (brethren) after:

Lev 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
Lev 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Thus:

Jas_2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

The Holy Spirit is given thusly:

Act_5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

Jesus is the example of the Spirit filled person, in whose Heart was the written Law of God (Psalms 40:8), the heart of the New/Everlasting/Eternal covenant:

Luk 4:14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
Luk 4:15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.
Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
Luk 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Luk 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
Luk 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Once again you did not read those posts did you. How sad for you. We will have to agree to disagree with our discussions of the scriptures. It is not a discussion if you ignore the other persons posts and scriptures and do not read them.

It is God's WORD not mine you are free to believe as you wish. Ignoring God's WORD does not make it dissappear. We all answer only to God come judgment day for believing or rejecting his Word *JOHN 12:47-48. I will pray and hope to see you in God's Kingdom.

May God help you as you seek him through his Word.

Look at Romans 2 about the Gentile that never heard of the law, by nature keeps the law according to his conscience. Just how does that pagan know to rest from Friday at sundown to Saturday at sundown?

The Sabbath is an outward sign unassociated with our natural conscience. When we are filled with the Spirit our conscience becomes super-sensitive and is all about love and patience toward one another. That Gentile keeps the royal law, just as a Spirit-filled believer does.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Look at Romans 2 about the Gentile that never heard of the law, by nature keeps the law according to his conscience. Just how does that pagan know to rest from Friday at sundown to Saturday at sundown?

The Sabbath is an outward sign unassociated with our natural conscience. When we are filled with the Spirit our conscience becomes super-sensitive and is all about love and patience toward one another. That Gentile keeps the royal law, just as a Spirit-filled believer does.

No one has salvation while living in known unrepentant sin *HEBREWS 10:26-27. Those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN do not KNOW GOD and need to be BORN again because they reject the gift of God's dear son. *ROMANS 6:23; HEBREWS 10:26-27; 1 JOHN 3:3-10.

In times of IGNORANCE God's does not hold has accountable to sin *ACTS 17:30; JAMES 4:17. When a KNOWLEDGE of the truth is come God expects us to repent and BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD. If we do not BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD when God reveals it to us we walk in darkness because we have chosen to reject God's WORD and walk in UNBELIEF. At this point we are no longer following God. All those who reject God's WORD in UNBELIEF are not following God until they repent and seek God's forgiveness and BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD.

Here let me add the context of ROMANS 2:14 you left out....

ROMANS 2:12-13
[12], For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
[13], For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

SIN is defined in God's WORD as breaking any one of God's 10 Commandments *JAMES 2:10-11; 1 JOHN 3:4. God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it just like any other of the 10 commandments when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement because no one will enter into God's KINGDOM while living in a life of KNOWN unrepentance sin. (Hebrews 10:26-27).

Gods WORD that we BELIEVE of REJECT will be our judge come judgment day *JOHN 12:47-48

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
No one has salvation while living in known unrepentant sin *HEBREWS 10:26-27. Those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN do not KNOW GOD and need to be BORN again because they reject the gift of God's dear son. *ROMANS 6:23; HEBREWS 10:26-27; 1 JOHN 3:3-10.

In times of IGNORANCE God's does not hold has accountable to sin *ACTS 17:30; JAMES 4:17. When a KNOWLEDGE of the truth is come God expects us to repent and BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD. If we do not BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD when God reveals it to us we walk in darkness because we have chosen to reject God's WORD and walk in UNBELIEF. At this point we are no longer following God. All those who reject God's WORD in UNBELIEF are not following God until they repent and seek God's forgiveness and BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD.

Here let me add the context of ROMANS 2:14 you left out....

ROMANS 2:12-13
[12], For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
[13], For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

SIN is defined in God's WORD as breaking any one of God's 10 Commandments *JAMES 2:10-11; 1 JOHN 3:4. God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it just like any other of the 10 commandments when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement because no one will enter into God's KINGDOM while living in a life of KNOWN unrepentance sin. (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Hope this helps

I agree. You believe you need to keep the 7th day Sabbath. I keep every day alike - all for Jesus. You keep one, I keep 7.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I agree. You believe you need to keep the 7th day Sabbath. I keep every day alike - all for Jesus. You keep one, I keep 7.

You do not keep 7 days Holy according to the scripture *EXODUS 20:8-11. Or you could not buy and sell or do any of your own work whatsoever.

God's WORD does not say God's 4th Commandment SEVENTH DAY SABBATH is everyday alike. Or is there one scripture in all of God's WORD that says God's 4th Commandment is now abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday or every day as a Holy day.

GOD'S 4th COMMANDMENT SAYS...

EXODUS 20:8-11
[8], Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
[9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
[10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.

God's 4th commandment is one of God's ten commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

In times of ignorance God winks at but now ,<when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31).

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
God's WORD does not say God's 4th Commandment SEVENTH DAY SABBATH is everyday alike. Or is there one scripture in all of God's WORD that says God's 4th Commandment is now abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

EXODUS 20:8-11
[8], Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
[9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
[10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.

God's 4th commandment is one of God's ten commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

In times of ignorance God winks at but now ,<when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31).

Hope this helps

Romans 14:
4 Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.

Acts 17:
30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.”

It is NOT who keeps the Sabbath as you teach, but who believes in Jesus and follows His commands to believe on Him, and to love one another.

Matthew 12:
12 At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. And His disciples were hungry, and began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 2 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath!”
3 But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: 4 how he entered the house of God and ate the showbread which was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests? 5 Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless? 6 Yet I say to you that in this place there is One greater than the temple. 7 But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8 For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Jesus is NOT subservient to the Sabbath Day. He is Lord of even of the Sabbath.

I will follow what He does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Romans 14:
4 Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.

Acts 17:
30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.”

It is NOT who keeps the Sabbath as you teach, but who believes in Jesus and follows His commands to believe on Him, and to love one another.

Matthew 12:
12 At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. And His disciples were hungry, and began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 2 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath!”
3 But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: 4 how he entered the house of God and ate the showbread which was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests? 5 Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless? 6 Yet I say to you that in this place there is One greater than the temple. 7 But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8 For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

JESUS kept the Sabbath according to God's 4th commandment. Are you following what JESUS does if you are not keeping the Sabbath as a Holy day according to God's 4th commandment?

None of the scriptures you have provided say that God's 4th Commandment is abolished and we are now commanded to keep sunday as a holy day now do they?

JESUS is the LORD of the SABBATH and commands us to keep the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH as a HOLY DAY according to God's 4th Commandment *EXODUS 20:8-11.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,225,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
From the SoP
It is expected that people who post in the Sabbath and the Law forum will respect all members of the Christian faith. Honest and vigorous discussion and debate is welcomed, but simply attacking another member or group of members is not allowed.
Please keep in mind the following:
1. Always remember that you are first and foremost brothers and sisters in Christ, regardless of your theological differences on Sabbath day worship or keeping the law.
2. Although the Law of God is pleasing to a believer it is not a necessary requirement for salvation. (Psalms 119:174; Galatians 3:10, Galatians 5:18)

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Romans 14:

Acts 17:

Matthew 12:

How instructive that you do not find Paul or Jesus or any of the NT writers declaring war against God's commandments - not even God's Sabbath Commandment.

Romans 14 does not mention the Sabbath commandment at all

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

A misquote.

Romans 14 says in regard to the Lev 23 annual holy days "one man observes one day above another while another observes them all".

By contrast in Gal 4 Paul condemns the observance of even one pagan holy day.

Upvote 0