Why did Christine Blasey Ford lie saying she has a fear of flying?

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sure, that was Jim Crowe. Neither majority opinion nor minority criticism validates that system.
Assuredly, the two blacks quoted in the minority were not making an argument for racist policy. Failing to pick up the nuances of their argument however leaves the backdoor wide open for abuse of constitutional freedoms.

Well, Sowell and Thomas came later on. Sowell is not a lawyer and his works, while interesting, have issues like failures to have credible sources. The are opinion pieces. Thomas has his view. The attorney arguing for the Brown was Thurgood Marshall who became the first African-American justice.

The lack of choice was why Brown was needed.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, wading in on the initial point. I have a fear of flying. I don't like it, I end up being nervous the entire flight. If given the choice, I don't fly. I drive, I take a train, or find some other travel arrangements. For work, however, I have had to fly. I even had to fly in order to visit Europe some years ago. Am I lying if I say I have a fear of flying? I guess I didn't realize that having a fear of something meant you can never do that thing.
If your work asked you to fly across the country for an important meeting, would you deny their request due to your fear of flying? You said that if given the choice, you don't fly. Do you fly frequently for business and pleasure, including overseas, despite your statement? That's what Ford did. She said she couldn't attend the SJC meeting due to her fear of flying. But yet she could fly to the East Coast, Costa Rica, and other vacation destinations seemingly without any trouble. That's why people are accusing her of lying about flying.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When did she or her lawyers say this? I've seen no evidence that they did.

If she didn't say that, then this whole thing is a character smear.
From your link:
The GOP has been told that Ford does not want to fly from her California home to Washington, according to the Republican senator, which means she may need to drive across the country.
From another link, where it looks like you left out some important details in yours (bolded for emphasis).
Ford’s Attorneys Say Fear Of Flying Didn’t Postpone Hearing. Here’s What She Actually Said.
On September 21, Politico published an article about Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-IA) giving Ford and her attorneys more time to decide when, where, and how to testify for the committee. Buried in the article was the following:

“The GOP has been told that Ford does not want to fly from her California home to Washington, according to the Republican senator, which means she may need to drive across the country. Ford has reportedly told friends she is uncomfortable in confined spaces, indicating a physical difficulty in making the trip by plane.”

You conveniently left out the bold in your quote. Here's a quote from her friend, from the same article I posted.
Kate DeVarney, one of Kavanaugh’s friends, told the outlet that Ford “really has a hard time being in a place where there's no escape route." She added that Ford did not like to fly because an airplane was "the ultimate closed space where you cannot get away."

Add to that Ford's ex-boyfriend's sworn statement to the Judiciary Committee that "Ford never expressed any fear of flying — even in a small propeller plane — or “a fear of closed quarters, tight spaces, or places with only one exit.”

So there are definitely inconsistencies in Ford's reasons for not wanting to go to Washington. Her unsubstantiated allegations don't help her credibility, either.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just wanted to point out for the record, just once more, that Kav was confirmed. He's sitting on the Supreme Court as we speak. Yet the sore winners who were so convinced of his innocence are still trying to push this ridiculous conspiracy theory that Ford flying in airplanes despite being fearful of flying as a """"lie"""".

Time to get over it.
Ringo

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
From your link:

From another link, where it looks like you left out some important details in yours (bolded for emphasis).
Ford’s Attorneys Say Fear Of Flying Didn’t Postpone Hearing. Here’s What She Actually Said.

I've done some bolding of my own. That is the question I asked: When did she or her lawyers say she couldn't attend the SJC meeting due to her fear of flying?

And let's bold the last line of your link: "We may not have seen all the correspondence between Ford’s attorneys and Grassley, but from what we have seen, there is no direct message from her attorneys saying she couldn’t appear to testify earlier because of a fear of flying."

Ford has reportedly told friends she is uncomfortable in confined spaces, indicating a physical difficulty in making the trip by plane.”
You conveniently left out the bold in your quote.

Having a fear of flying is not that unusual. Are you contending that she does not have a fear of flying at all?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
If your work asked you to fly across the country for an important meeting, would you deny their request due to your fear of flying? You said that if given the choice, you don't fly. Do you fly frequently for business and pleasure, including overseas, despite your statement? That's what Ford did. She said she couldn't attend the SJC meeting due to her fear of flying. But yet she could fly to the East Coast, Costa Rica, and other vacation destinations seemingly without any trouble. That's why people are accusing her of lying about flying.

I'll point out that I have trouble seeing in the dark due to an eye condition, so I have a fear of harming myself in the dark due to that, yet I still walk through the dark on a daily basis.

If my company wanted me to fly somewhere, I would fly. They pay me enough that I can overcome my fear. I've flown with my wife to keep her happy. I can't think of a situation where I'd pick a vacation destination that would involve flying.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've done some bolding of my own. That is the question I asked: When did she or her lawyers say she couldn't attend the SJC meeting due to her fear of flying?

And let's bold the last line of your link: "We may not have seen all the correspondence between Ford’s attorneys and Grassley, but from what we have seen, there is no direct message from her attorneys saying she couldn’t appear to testify earlier because of a fear of flying."
While I will grant that there is no direct statement from her or her lawyers confirming or denying a fear of flying that I know of, under questioning by Mitchell, Ford did not deny the direct question regarding said alleged fear:

MITCHELL: OK. It’s — I ask that, because it’s been reported by the press that you would not submit to an interview with the committee because of your fear of flying. Is — is that true?

FORD: Well, I was willing — I was hoping that they would come to me, but then I realized that was an unrealistic request.

MITCHELL: It would’ve been a quicker trip for me.

FORD: Yes. So that was certainly what I was hoping, was to avoid having to get on an airplane, but I eventually was able to get up the gumption with the help of some friends, and get on the plane.

That certainly was not a direct denial of a fear of flying or as the reason she didn't want to appear. But it did not help her credibility knowing that she traveled quite often for work and vacation, yet didn't want to "get on an airplane" to testify about a very serious allegation. Furthermore, there are contradicting statements about her flying from persons who allegedly know/knew her (friend, ex). For those that wish to pursue perjury or prove her lying, that's more to go on than any of Ford's statements about Kavanaugh!
Having a fear of flying is not that unusual. Are you contending that she does not have a fear of flying at all?
I don't really care if she does or does not have a fear of flying.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While I will grant that there is no direct statement from her or her lawyers confirming or denying a fear of flying that I know of, under questioning by Mitchell, Ford did not deny the direct question regarding said alleged fear:

MITCHELL: OK. It’s — I ask that, because it’s been reported by the press that you would not submit to an interview with the committee because of your fear of flying. Is — is that true?

FORD: Well, I was willing — I was hoping that they would come to me, but then I realized that was an unrealistic request.

FORD: Yes. So that was certainly what I was hoping, was to avoid having to get on an airplane, but I eventually was able to get up the gumption with the help of some friends, and get on the plane.

That certainly was not a direct denial of a fear of flying or as the reason she didn't want to appear. But it did not help her credibility knowing that she traveled quite often for work and vacation, yet didn't want to "get on an airplane" to testify about a very serious allegation. Furthermore, there are contradicting statements about her flying from persons who allegedly know/knew her (friend, ex). For those that wish to pursue perjury or prove her lying, that's more to go on than any of Ford's statements about Kavanaugh!

She said she was willing to meet with them, so the entire attempt to attack her because of a fear of flying is pretty irrelevant anyway.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
While I will grant that there is no direct statement from her or her lawyers confirming or denying a fear of flying that I know of, under questioning by Mitchell, Ford did not deny the direct question regarding said alleged fear

You are still misunderstanding the question. We both seemingly grant that she has a fear of flying. It's also obvious that she does fly on occasion, despite this fear.

The charge being levelled against her is that she used this fear as some sort of delaying tactic, but "there is no direct message from her attorneys saying she couldn’t appear to testify earlier because of a fear of flying."

This accusation against her appears to be unfounded.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are still misunderstanding the question. We both seemingly grant that she has a fear of flying. It's also obvious that she does fly on occasion, despite this fear.

The charge being levelled against her is that she used this fear as some sort of delaying tactic, but "there is no direct message from her attorneys saying she couldn’t appear to testify earlier because of a fear of flying."

This accusation against her appears to be unfounded.
I wasn't addressing the delaying tactic accusation as a whole, just the fear of flying part. That's where there seems to be a contradiction and, IMO, further lessens her credibility. I don't think she actually does have a fear of flying based on her reported travels, but I don't know if that was used as a delaying tactic or not. Apparently, her lawyers didn't inform her that the SJC was willing to go to her if her fear of flying were true, so that whole process was fishy to me. But all that is a side show to her allegations of sexual misconduct against Kavanaugh, which have shown to be unsubstantiated and uncorroborated.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't addressing the delaying tactic accusation as a whole, just the fear of flying part. That's where there seems to be a contradiction and, IMO, further lessens her credibility. I don't think she actually does have a fear of flying based on her reported travels, but I don't know if that was used as a delaying tactic or not. Apparently, her lawyers didn't inform her that the SJC was willing to go to her if her fear of flying were true, so that whole process was fishy to me. But all that is a side show to her allegations of sexual misconduct against Kavanaugh, which have shown to be unsubstantiated and uncorroborated.

It isn't really a contradiction. Are you suggesting that people are unable to do something that frightens them?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are a lot of ridiculous conspiracy theories out there, but this is one of the more bizarre and weak ones; especially since Ford said that she was willing to meet with them and that Kav has been confirmed for...what - a few days by now?
Ringo

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It isn't really a contradiction.
One of her "friends" said she did have a fear of flying...
Kate DeVarney, one of Kavanaugh’s friends, told the outlet that Ford “really has a hard time being in a place where there's no escape route." She added that Ford did not like to fly because an airplane was "the ultimate closed space where you cannot get away."

...which the article also stated was due to the alleged encounter (notice, though, no evidence)...
On September 23, CNN interviewed friends of Ford who claimed she had a fear of enclosed spaces that didn’t have multiple exits, such as a plane. These friends were allowed to claim, without evidence, that this was due to Ford’s alleged encounter with Kavanaugh 36 years earlier.

...while her ex's sworn testimony said otherwise.
On October 2, an ex-boyfriend of Ford’s sent the Judiciary Committee a sworn statement claiming Ford never expressed any fear of flying — even in a small propeller plane — or “a fear of closed quarters, tight spaces, or places with only one exit.”

So yes, there certainly is a contradiction. And, as I said, if someone was interested in pursuing this further, there was more to go on than the actual allegation which started this whole thing.

Are you suggesting that people are unable to do something that frightens them?
No, I'm suggesting that her "fear of flying" is not real, as the evidence of her travels and a sworn statement from someone who was intimately involved with her for a period of time in her life. Two credible evidences. Even if it were real, the claim that it was Kavanaugh's fault is without credible evidence to support it. Either way, Ford's overall credibility is diminished, IMO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

...which the article also stated was due to the alleged encounter (notice, though, no evidence)...
On September 23, CNN interviewed friends of Ford who claimed she had a fear of enclosed spaces that didn’t have multiple exits, such as a plane. These friends were allowed to claim, without evidence, that this was due to Ford’s alleged encounter with Kavanaugh 36 years earlier.

On October 2, an ex-boyfriend of Ford’s sent the Judiciary Committee a sworn statement claiming Ford never expressed any fear of flying — even in a small propeller plane — or “a fear of closed quarters, tight spaces, or places with only one exit.”

So yes, there certainly is a contradiction. And, as I said, if someone was interested in pursuing this further, there was more to go on than the actual allegation which started this whole thing.

No, I'm suggesting that her "fear of flying" is not real, as the evidence of her travels and a sworn statement from someone who was intimately involved with her for a period of time in her life. Two credible evidences. Even if it were real, the claim that it was Kavanaugh's fault is without credible evidence to support it. Either way, Ford's overall credibility is diminished, IMO.
Ford's credibility is moot. You won; Kavanaugh's nomination is confirmed. But winning never seems enough. It's the same with Hillary. You won, but you will never be happy until your enemy is destroyed.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Why is "friends" in scare-quotes? DeVarney has known Ford for 13 years.

So we have Ford and DeVarney on one side and...

Why isn't it her "ex's" sworn testimony? What's his name?

Is a woman's testimony worth half that of a man's?

• Agree
Reactions: FreeinChrist
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Those are some valid points.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ford's credibility is moot. You won; Kavanaugh's nomination is confirmed. But winning never seems enough. It's the same with Hillary. You won, but you will never be happy until your enemy is destroyed.
The "you" references are incorrect if you are talking about me personally. If you are not talking about me personally, then your comment is irrelevant to mine.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is "friends" in scare-quotes? DeVarney has known Ford for 13 years.

So we have Ford and DeVarney on one side and...

Why isn't it her "ex's" sworn testimony? What's his name?

Is a woman's testimony worth half that of a man's?
The lengths some people will go to to nit pick.

Upvote 0