• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Why did Christine Blasey Ford lie saying she has a fear of flying?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by LivingWordUnity, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Vylo

Vylo Stick with the King!

+4,693
    Atheist
    US-Others

What. They stalled a nomination for a YEAR. That's the longest vacancy since before the Civil war. That's not the norm, that them stealing seats with petty tricks. I hope the dems return the favor in 2020.

2. Revealing Times

Revealing Times Well-Known Member

+383
    Protestant
    Married
    The case which Brown vs. the Board of Education overturned, Plessy vs. Ferguson in the late 1800's, I thought that everyone knew the case so why name it ? It was a horrible precedent.

3. Revealing Times

Revealing Times Well-Known Member

+383
    Protestant
    Married
    They control the Senate, elections have consequences, Biden stated in the 90's no nominee should b put forth in a presidential election year.

Question, since conservatives only want textual constitutionalists which read the constitution as written, why do you liberals want these leftists on the Supreme Court so bad ? ANSWER... So you can change our laws through fiat by bringing forth things you can't get passed legislatively, but you want to force them on a peoples you think aren't smart enough to know what's in their best interest.

If you wanted abortion and got it passed via the legislature, then you earned it, but you want to run over other peoples rights with robbed bandits. That is WRONG !! That is anti American to its core !!

4. USincognito

USincognito Milk-Bones for Cerberus is a cool album name Supporter

+13,571
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Everyone? Or everyone from Alabama?

5. FreeinChrist

FreeinChrist CF Advisory team Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+9,569
    Belize
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    wow. I studied Brown vs. the Board of Education when I got my Masters of Education. But for everyone else:

Plessy v. Ferguson - Wikipedia
    Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U.S. 537 (1896),[2] was a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court issued in 1896. It upheld the constitutionality of racial segregation laws for public facilities as long as the segregated facilities were equal in quality – a doctrine that came to be known as "separate but equal".[3] This legitimized the many state laws re-establishing racial segregation that had been passed in the American South after the end of the Reconstruction Era (1865–1877). The decision was handed down by a vote of 7 to 1, with the majority opinion written by Justice Henry Billings Brown and the lone dissent written by Justice John Marshall Harlan.
    Brown v. Board of Education - Wikipedia
    Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, 347 U.S. 483 (1954),[1] was a landmark United States Supreme Courtcase in which the Court declared state laws establishing separate public schools for black and white students to be unconstitutional. The decision effectively overturned the Plessy v. Ferguson decision of 1896, which allowed state-sponsored segregation, insofar as it applied to public education. Handed down on May 17, 1954, the Warren Court's unanimous (9–0) decision stated that "separate educational facilities are inherently unequal." As a result, de jureracial segregation was ruled a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution. This ruling paved the way for integration and was a major victory of the Civil Rights Movement,[2] and a model for many future impact litigation cases.[3] However, the decision's fourteen pages did not spell out any sort of method for ending racial segregation in schools, and the Court's second decision in Brown II(349 U.S. 294 (1955)) only ordered states to desegregate "with all deliberate speed".​

So you think overturning racial segregation was a bad thing - that states should be able to make black kids go to schools for black kids, and white kids go to schools for just white kids? Many of the schools for black kids in that time got less money per pupil than the white schools did. It went along with Jim Crow laws and having separate drinking fountains and making blacks sit in the back of the bus.

But at least your position was stated here.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  6. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+5,708
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  7. pat34lee

pat34lee Messianic

+2,574
    Messianic
    Single
    True, to a point. But the Senate changes every
    two years and the President every four or eight
    years. No gridlock lasts forever.

Things have never been this partisan though,
    until the past few decades, and it's only getting
    worse as the Democrats move further left.

8. FreeinChrist

+9,569
    Belize
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    The Republicans moved further right.

The partisan politics became worse because of Newt Gringrich.
    This is an interesting read:
    Newt Gingrich Broke Politics, and Now He Wants Back In - The Atlantic
    How did Gingrich break the House? Let us count just some of the ways. For starters, there was his elevation of legislative obstructionism to a central political strategy. Long before there was the Ted Cruz government shutdown of 2013, there were the Gingrich shutdowns of 1995 and 1996, the latter of which lasted three weeks and still stands as the longest in U.S. history. Not that anyone should have been surprised. Such chaos was all part of Gingrich’s long-standing quest to undermine public confidence in government. ​

Opinion: We all drink the poisoned chalice
    What Gingrich gave us, what has crippled our government ever since and made the role of Republican leadership impossible, is the notion that compromise equates to surrender, that those who disagree are not merely wrong but evil, that no rules of civility apply and that politics is not just war but a war to destroy or be destroyed. It has poisoned our democracy, and it has turned politics into a cesspool into which too many men and women of good will are choosing not to wade any longer.​

9. LivingWordUnity

LivingWordUnity Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic

+11,116
    Catholic
    Married
  10. pat34lee

pat34lee Messianic

+2,574
    Messianic
    Single
    That isn't likely, as the public has seen that the
    DNC is no longer about Americans, but illegal
    immigrants, homosexuals and malcontents.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  11. FreeinChrist

+9,569
    Belize
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    My question was not answered. What is bad about Brown vs. the Board of Education? Why was Plessy vs. Fergusen good?

That ruling (9 - 0) in Brown was made because of the racial discrimination inherent in segregation that was supported by Plessy. Separate but equal was not working unless one was privileged white and reaped the financial and social benefits. Black schools received less money per pupil than white students and had less access to higher institutions. In passing Brown, a lot of racial discrimination ended, and went beyond schools in helping ending things like segregated bathrooms and segregated military units.

This isn't some Alinsky tactic. It is simply history. And views that support going back to segregation and the racial discrimination that go with it will be challenged. Trump may be president now, but there are many who will fight segregation as immoral and unConstitutional.

12. RestoreTheJoy

RestoreTheJoy Well-Known Member Supporter

+612
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    She was remarkably unaware of everything for an educated professional.

13. SolomonVII

SolomonVII Well-Known Member

+4,705
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Even conveniently so.
    No matter.
    When people fight back against smear campaigns, good things can happen.

14. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+8,780
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    I think Revealing Times is saying that Plessy was the bad decision.

15. FreeinChrist

+9,569
    Belize
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    If so, it was not clear, and I would apologize.

He could have simply clarified that he meant Plessy was the bad decision.

I may have misunderstood because while both Republicans and Democrats who supported it in 1954, it led Southern Democrats to become Republicans in protest.

16. LoAmmi

LoAmmi Dispassionate

+9,562
    Judaism
    Married
    Ok, wading in on the initial point. I have a fear of flying. I don't like it, I end up being nervous the entire flight. If given the choice, I don't fly. I drive, I take a train, or find some other travel arrangements. For work, however, I have had to fly. I even had to fly in order to visit Europe some years ago. Am I lying if I say I have a fear of flying? I guess I didn't realize that having a fear of something meant you can never do that thing.

17. SolomonVII

+4,705
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    I think it was unfortunate that your question was never answered. I heard it as an honest question
    I took a quick scan and noted some 'dissenting views' from the majority opinion on Brown from Thomas Sowell, and Justice Clarence Thomas, to name two. Rejected conservative nominee Justice Bork on the other hand reinforced the majority opinion for Brown v.

Basically what the dissent amounts to is that black education, like segregating classrooms based on gender, is not necessarily inferior.

I am a popular culture affecionado. I noted how in the latest episode of This is Us, the adopted black son's eyes lit up when he got accepted to Brown University, and, scanning through the brochure, he noted that he would be finally be amidst people who looked like him, instead of the 'white washed' world that his adoption entailed he live in. ( I take it that Brown is geared toward Black).

Dissenting opinion is not trying to re-establish inferior schools and the predominate Jim Crowe designed to keep the n... in his place.
    Dissenting opinion is trying to remember why freedom of association is so important in the American constitution in first place.

18. FreeinChrist

+9,569
    Belize
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    While the black schools (grade school and high school) may not be necessarily inferior, they often received less funding and had less resources. Sending your child to a school for just their gender is a choice. It did not use to be a choice for black students as to which school they could attend. They were denied the opportunity to attend a white school that was superior.

19. jgarden

jgarden Senior Veteran

+1,571
    Methodist
    Why did Christine Blasey Ford lie saying she has a fear of flying?

Only 41% of the nation supports the Kavanaugh conformation, that number drops to 33% for women!

The reality is that the American public believed Christine Ford, not Kavanaugh, and do not support his confirmation!

20. SolomonVII

+4,705
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Sure, that was Jim Crowe. Neither majority opinion nor minority criticism validates that system.
    Assuredly, the two blacks quoted in the minority were not making an argument for racist policy. Failing to pick up the nuances of their argument however leaves the backdoor wide open for abuse of constitutional freedoms.