Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The AR15 was first put into service by the military in 1963, but it was only within the last 10 years or so that it has exploded in popularity. It's still pretty much the same as it was when it first came on the scene, except for maybe more parts options available for it.

Perhaps it has something to do with politicians trying to ban it, but that happened (temporarily) back in 1994 when the AWB happened and lasted for 10 years. But still, it wasn't until well after that when it became much more popular. What was the cause?

I actually have one, and now realized I paid way too much for it, so now selling it would result in a big loss.

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
It has always been popular. Some reasons include light weight, low recoil, good accuracy, had dropped considerably in price, inexpensive to shoot, looks cool, and lots of accessories.

Negative reporting has always increased gun sales as well as fear mongering.

However, despite its popularity, sales are actually down.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It has always been popular. Some reasons include light weight, low recoil, good accuracy, had dropped considerably in price, inexpensive to shoot, looks cool, and lots of accessories.

Negative reporting has always increased gun sales as well as fear mongering.

However, despite its popularity, sales are actually down.

This makes me wonder why the prices were up in the first place. Since it was originally a military arm, that should have meant that there were plenty of them in the beginning. But sales of it weren't nearly as brisk as they've been up until recently. I realize prices and sales are now down, most likely because everyone who wants one pretty much already has one, and the threat of a ban on a federal level is pretty much gone at the moment. But even so, it still gets plenty of attention in the shooting press.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
This makes me wonder why the prices were up in the first place. Since it was originally a military arm, that should have meant that there were plenty of them in the beginning. But sales of it weren't nearly as brisk as they've been up until recently. I realize prices and sales are now down, most likely because everyone who wants one pretty much already has one, and the threat of a ban on a federal level is pretty much gone at the moment. But even so, it still gets plenty of attention in the shooting press.

They weren’t selling surplus military rifles. They were not even selling military or “M-16” grade bolts until around 2004.

• Agree
Reactions: marineimaging
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The AR15 was first put into service by the military in 1963, but it was only within the last 10 years or so that it has exploded in popularity. It's still pretty much the same as it was when it first came on the scene, except for maybe more parts options available for it.

Perhaps it has something to do with politicians trying to ban it, but that happened (temporarily) back in 1994 when the AWB happened and lasted for 10 years. But still, it wasn't until well after that when it became much more popular. What was the cause?

I actually have one, and now realized I paid way too much for it, so now selling it would result in a big loss.
The answer is because it is faster to produce than any similar armament. But for the rest or it's popularity consider the differences being like open architecture of the Windows OS vs the closed of the Mac. I have moved CNC machines into home basements where the machines run all night producing lowers for sale to other companies that put them together with their parts. We have full blown CNC companies running 24/7 in Houston with no signs or name recognition on their doors, yet they are shipping thousands of finished product each week. It is the most modular gun on the market today. The ammunition is lighter and therefore can ship more (as well as crates of rifles) to the battlefield with less resources, or to the local Bass Pro or Academy Sports, or bands of rebel fighters in another country. Besides, as recent would-be murders have said to their straw purchaser/undercover law enforcement officer, "Pssst., make sure to get me a really cool one like the AR or AK, ok?"

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But yes, the prices used to be sky high. $1,300.00 for the ones I was getting in the early 1990s, $ 489 ish for the last one I got that was even better.
I was looking around at a gun store just outside of Beaumont Texas at the height of the worst panic and two men in front of me were talking. One said I have an AR with 3 magazines and 300 rounds of ammo in my truck. The guy asked, how much. He said, $3500.00 off the cuff. He thought the guy was joking. Man 2 says, "Let me make a call." Less than 5 minutes later man 2 pulls out $3500.00 in cash and hands it to man one, I'll take it. THAT was what the Obama and Pelosi era spoofs did to the price of firearms in America. Why? Her investment firm had her positioned as one of the largest stock holders of the major gun companies. That said, the price at one time was simply market driven. The majors couldn't make them fast enough and new startups were springing up everywhere. But you have to look at what you are getting to decide if the price is really going down or are they actually taking off parts to sell them for less. At one time you had to make sure you were getting the forward assist and carry handle. Now we see it as a new style that emerged called the flat top because people want to put their own optics on. Magazines were hard to come by as well but the new polymags have taken over the market because they became more universal and more reliable. But, bottom line is what the market will bear and that is why we saw such a price difference.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

BTW, I got a Bear Creek "Armory" with a Wylde barrel which takes both NATO 5.56 and .223, the carry handle/rear sight, two P-mags, and carry case for $449.00 plus tax and free shipping a couple of years ago from Classic so it depends on where you shop and how flooded the market is as well.
upload_2018-7-30_16-19-34.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
BTW, I got a Bear Creek [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]nal with Wylde barrel (takes both NATO 5.56 and .223), handle/rear sight, two mags, and carry case for $449.00 plus tax and free shipping a couple of years ago.
View attachment 236094

Too bad I bought mine when one of the latest panics was starting to die down. It has a Charles Daley lower and a CMMG upper. It has a carry handle and forward assist, along with an adjustable stock. Nothing else fancy about it. It cost me $800, and it was slightly used at the time. Now, the ones that are the lowest price and look pretty much the same from Ruger or S&W go for about what you paid.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The policing software is just a little bit picky don't you think? I used the proper name to describe a place where arms are stored or made and the software deleted the word and replaced it [bless and do not curse] several times. Bear Creek "Armory" is not the proper name but you know the word I am referring to if you know anything about AR-15 manufacturing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
The policing software is just a little bit picky don't you think? I used the proper name to describe a place where arms are stored or made and the software deleted the word and replaced it [bless and do not curse] several times. Bear Creek "Armory" is not the proper name but you know the word I am referring to if you know anything about AR-15 manufacturing.

Part of the word is a popular European (British) curse word, as well as a British Football club.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
BTW, I got a Bear Creek "Armory" with a Wylde barrel which takes both NATO 5.56 and .223, the carry handle/rear sight, two P-mags, and carry case for $449.00 plus tax and free shipping a couple of years ago from Classic so it depends on where you shop and how flooded the market is as well.
View attachment 236094

sweet!. I have been having problems posting pictures so I will just give the link to my latest addition.

https://www.christianforums.com/threads/upgrading-a-bushmaster-carbine.8049290/

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Part of the word is a popular European (British) curse word, as well as a British Football club.

I think the word you mean is arsinal, or arsanal (both spelled wrong on purpose). Correct?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
The first picture in the post you linked to looks just like mine, except my fore-end is more plane, without any rails. Is that what you paid only $489 for (as you mentioned in post #6)?

That would be it, except I guess it was $389 according to the older post. I don’t know if it was sausage fingers or dementia. :D

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That would be it, except I guess it was $389 according to the older post. I don’t know if it was sausage fingers or dementia. :D

Now I feel even worse for my $800 mistake. I don't even shoot the thing, and only put a total of 30 rounds through it in total. The only thing that makes me feel better about having it is the idea that we may see a total collapse in society and would see violence like never before, and the AR is probably what I'd be wanting in my hands at the time. Right now, I feel much better with either a 9mm or 12ga. at my bedside. AR is far too clumsy and awkward to get into action quickly. At least, it is to me. It's good when it's already in my hands and the charging handle has been pulled and released, but I find it awkward to pick up and use the charging handle. Harder to clean than a 12ga. or 9mm too.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
On a side note, our local Wal-Mart is getting rid of all their dangerous guns like the Ruger Mini-14. Last month they were $790.00 ish and now around $450.00. I might be picking one up.

Our WM stopped selling them a long time ago. Hmmmm.

Upvote 0