Why did Ananias and Sapphira die in Acts in Acts 5 but ...

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why did Ananias and Sapphira die in Acts 5 but now We (The Church) have to put up with The Tares among The Wheat and Goats among The Sheep until Jesus reaps the harvest ?

I wish God Almighty would purge these wicked people from The Church.

I’m not talking about true Christians who have struggles with sin ( I can deal with that because none of us are perfect) I’m talking about evil people who were never really Christians and never will be who are trying to destroy and decieve The Church and are secretly warlocks / occultists.

Why doesn’t God clean house and remove these people until the end ?

Last edited:

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Why did Ananias and Sapphira die in Acts 5 but now We (The Church) have to put up with The Tares among The Wheat and Goats among The Sheep until Jesus reaps the harvest ?

I’m not talking about true Christians who have struggles with sin ( I can deal with that because none of us are perfect) I’m talking about evil people who were never really Christians and never will be who are trying to destroy and decieve The Church and are secretly warlocks / occultists.

Why doesn’t God clean house and remove these people ?
The early Church was quite different in terms of the presence and power of the Holy Spirit than it is today. Ananias and Sapphira did not lie to the Apostles, they lied to the Holy Spirit. This was a very serious thing and it cost them their lives. This was in the context of a very powerful Church where the Holy Spirit was a very present reality.

Today, the Church is largely corrupted with different denominations, divisions, doctrines, and modernist theologies. The awesome power of the Holy Spirit has been almost totally diminished, replaced with a religious caricature of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They decided to lie about selling the house and keep the money for themselfes . It was planned , they both agreed of telling a lie about that . It's not like Paul told them to sell everything they had , Paul told them to sell the extra stuff like extra houses , clothes or share amond each other to these who do not have . They loved the money over God and over thier brothers/sisters in Christ . God always use his children for something so the worst of us serve a purpose of bad example like they did with that house story.

They were meeting few chapters later in somebody's house so don't give me that intention that Christians should live on streets and be homeless ...

In one Parable in Matthew 13 we read

Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them

That's why God does not smite these who oppose him , because for example children of these people can be christians bringing fruit .
Same with atheists , thier children could be born again christians or children of the children .

God could also use the wicked for his purpose just like he uses Satan . Same way he raise that Pharaoh in Egypt to serve his purpose he can use and is using people for his purpose for example he used gentiles from Babylon to take captive for 70 years the Jews but then he used other gentiles to punish these from Babylon and to free his people from captive by guy names Cyrus who was gentile also .

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The early Church was quite different in terms of the presence and power of the Holy Spirit than it is today. Ananias and Sapphira did not lie to the Apostles, they lied to the Holy Spirit. This was a very serious thing and it cost them their lives. This was in the context of a very powerful Church where the Holy Spirit was a very present reality.

Today, the Church is largely corrupted with different denominations, divisions, doctrines, and modernist theologies. The awesome power of the Holy Spirit has been almost totally diminished, replaced with a religious caricature of the Holy Spirit.

Agreed with that , never seen church to meet daily to break the bread like they used to do it back then .

Also you have very nice cat :satisfied:

• Agree
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I understand it, the Power/Glory of the Holy Spirit was on Peter so strong that if one stood there without Jesus' covering, they would die just like the High Priest could in the Holy-of-Holies or Uzzah mishandling the Ark of the Covenant [2 Samuel 6:1-7]. Ananias & Sapphira momentarily lost that covering at an inopportune time (when they lied). Further, their lie wasn't nearly as subversive as your example in the OP.

I don't believe that God particularly hated anyone. It's just that one has to be prepared to stand in His presence.

He even said to Moses (whom He clearly liked),*
“You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.” v. 20

*See Exodus 33:18-23

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ananias and Saphira were striken by God......

aparently they were in love with money and power!!!!

i am guessing from the scripture they were trying to buy influence...is why God did it.....

acts 8:9-13
probably the same sin as simon the sorceerer when he tried to get power
with bribing Peter with money......

Peter said he would perish but he begged for forgiveness.....
he was a new believer so God had mercy on him...

buying infulence over a pastor or other leader....is rebellion and control...wichcraft......

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A shorter version of my question would be :

Why do We (The Church) have to put up with Tares in The Church until the end when Jesus reaps the harvest and separates the goats from the sheep and the tares from the wheat At The Judgement ?

• Agree
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It is a serious offense to embezzle church money. I remember after Richard Wurmbrand retired from Voice of the Martyrs - aid to persecuted Christians, Tom White took over. He was being paid $140,000 a year as director. Tom White was accused of molesting a ten year old girl. Police were looking for him. Tom committed suicide in a VOM warehouse. Accusations of mismanagement of VOM surfaced.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why do We (The Church) have to put up with Tares in The Church until the end

Because evidently it will take that long for the church to regain the position of holiness and love that it occupied in its earliest days. A&S's sin was against greatly manifest light, and the stronger the light, the more serious the sin. Today it seems the church is struggling for survival.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
A shorter version of my question would be :

Why do We (The Church) have to put up with Tares in The Church until the end when Jesus reaps the harvest and separates the goats from the sheep and the tares from the wheat At The Judgement ?

I believe God is being patient and “long suffering”, because He desires that none should perish. He has appointed a day, and He knows the end from the beginning. His timing is always perfect, even though we often struggle to understand.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many people think that Ananias & Sapphira were guilty of embezzling, when (according to Peter*) they were only guilty of bragging.

*See Acts 5:1-11, particularly v. 4.

• Agree
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think we as Christians in America have it pretty darn easy today with what we have to put up with.
We don't have to worry about getting caught with a bible and losing our lives (yet), getting thrown to lions or stoned to death, being beheaded for our beliefs.
It is all part of His plan, His thoughts are higher than our thoughts.
Also going through trials and tribulations only makes our faith stronger, helping us need Him more and causing us to grow in our faith.

• Agree
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
2 Peter 3 mentions scoffers and the wicked. God's promise is not slack. If you notice, the context is the destruction of the wicked, scoffers, Noah's time is mentioned. So the promise here to the beloved elect is God is not slack about His promise to destroy the wicked and to let the righteous inherit the earth. This is not about the salvation of the wicked, it is a promise of their destruction.

Where it mentions God's long suffering patience, this is referring to His elect, God waits patiently for those who He knows will believe in Christ. For their sake (the sake of the wheat) He tolerates the tares for a season of time. Key to understanding who God is longsuffering toward is in the 'beloved' and 'us', that is His beloved elect whom he knows will repent. He is not willing that any of them perish. This is not about the wicked unbelieving world that he is longsuffering towards. I know that flies smack dab in the face of what many are taught, but I know you will see what I also see too.

Matthew 13
24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. 26 But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared. 27 So the servants of the owner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them up?’ 29 But he said, ‘No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.” ’ ”

1 Beloved, I now write to you this second epistle (in both of which I stir up your pure minds by way of reminder), 2 that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of [a]us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior, 3 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.” 5 For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, 6 by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water. 7 But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward [c]us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think we as Christians in America have it pretty darn easy today with what we have to put up with.
We don't have to worry about getting caught with a bible and losing our lives (yet), getting thrown to lions or stoned to death, being beheaded for our beliefs.
It is all part of His plan, His thoughts are higher than our thoughts.
Also going through trials and tribulations only makes our faith stronger, helping us need Him more and causing us to grow in our faith.

Persecution IS happening to Some Christians in America but it’s being done in secret and illegally. It’s really hard to prove because the tactic used is so cowardly.

It’s actually happened to me.

Many of the these tactics were used by the Stasi in Germany as forms of mental torture to mimic mental illness on those they perceived as threats. The thing is though, the victims didn’t even have mental illness. It was all a trick and a sinister plot of many evil people working together.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,156.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

This is the only recorded occasion in the entire New Testament where Peter's authority was demonstrated in such a ruthless fashion. He never did it again.

I think there are a couple of reasons for this. First of all, it made clear that Christ's promise to Peter about being the foundation of His church meant something. It was real.

But then i think Peter might have had second thoughts about it. He'd denied Christ three times himself not that long before. If he could deny Christ three times, I suspect he may have felt some guilt about the summary execution of Ananias and Sapphira, even if it was God who actually killed them, which it was.

I've got no doubt God has summarily executed people from time to time, but we don't hear about it. He's the giver of life, and He can take it back too, if He think the person's behaviour justifies it. He obviously doesn't use it often - that fact that a brutal tyrant like Josef Stalin can live till the ripe old age of 75 means that God patiently allows the world to go its own way most of the time.

But as far as I know, Peter only used his power once in such a ruthless fashion. He didn't do it again - not once.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Many people think that Ananias & Sapphira were guilty of embezzling, when (according to Peter*) they were only guilty of bragging.

*See Acts 5:1-11, particularly v. 4.
They were guilty of lying to the Holy Spirit. If they had honestly declared that they sold their land for such and such and here is a part of the proceeds, the Apostles would have gladly accepted the sum of money and said, "Thank you very much" and the couple would have continued living instead of losing their lives.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
As long as you think no one is perfect (Yahweh's meaning in Scripture, not man's thinking nor english definitions), you might not know.
When/if you find a 'perfect' (Yahweh's meaning) assembly of Ekklesia, you will be surprised to find out also that Yahweh still deals the same as always - Yahshua (Jesus) is the Same Yesterday, Today and Forever. It is not Yahweh, nor Yahshua, nor Ekklesia who have changed (see - go ONLY by what Scripture Says, what Yahweh Says in His Word describing Ekklesia --- NOT what men say).

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Actually, it is quite legal, and not so secret. (even if covered up and completely denied, it is often "out in the open - 'standard practice'/ acceptable/ legal/ even expected and rewarded to kill true believers and say that it is a good thing to do ! ! ! (as Scripture Says Clearly) )
Persecution IS happening to Some Christians in America but it’s being done in secret and illegally. It’s really hard to prove because the tactic used is so cowardly.
It’s actually happened to me.
Many of the these tactics were used by the Stasi in Germany as forms of mental torture to mimic mental illness on those they perceived as threats. The thing is though, the victims didn’t even have mental illness. It was all a trick and a sinister plot of many evil people working together.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually, it is quite legal, and not so secret. (even if covered up and completely denied, it is often "out in the open - 'standard practice'/ acceptable/ legal/ even expected and rewarded to kill true believers and say that it is a good thing to do ! ! ! (as Scripture Says Clearly) )

Huh ?

Stalking and harassment is illegal in America.

Upvote 0