Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Not going to link directly, as I haven't got 100% okay for this, but I can point you towards a web search for the article.

It's a harsh, but extremely fair and (IMO) accurate, article about why so many Democrats (but not all) no longer seem to care about war, and why their new-found appreciation of Dubya isn't simply because they're comparing him to Trump:

And this is why members of the so-called “Resistance” would rather spend time drawing pictures of Robert Mueller riding on a shark than on trying to curb Trump’s Orwellian surveillance powers and unconstitutional war powers: those are Bush’s policies, and Democrats have been forced to gaslight themselves into falling in love with Bush.

Democrats are Bush now. Everything they once opposed they have now been manipulated into supporting, and the smiling, blood-soaked face of establishment politics is allowed to lull us all deeper and deeper into insanity.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Veritas

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not going to link directly, as I haven't got 100% okay for this, but I can point you towards a web search for the article.

It's a harsh, but extremely fair and (IMO) accurate, article about why the Leftists no longer seem to care about war, and why their new-found appreciation of Dubya isn't simply because they're comparing him to Trump:

And this is why members of the so-called “Resistance” would rather spend time drawing pictures of Robert Mueller riding on a shark than on trying to curb Trump’s Orwellian surveillance powers and unconstitutional war powers: those are Bush’s policies, and Democrats have been forced to gaslight themselves into falling in love with Bush.

Democrats are Bush now. Everything they once opposed they have now been manipulated into supporting, and the smiling, blood-soaked face of establishment politics is allowed to lull us all deeper and deeper into insanity.
Don't ask me; I'm only Canadian. But as someone who at least occasionally follows the news, I remember that something similar happened with President Clinton. (As in: "(Pre. Jan 20, 2011)You know, he's too obsessed with bombing this Bin Laden guy." (Post-9/11)"You know, the trouble is that President Clinton didn't bomb Bin Laden enough.")

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Don't ask me; I'm only Canadian. But as someone who at least occasionally follows the news, I remember that something similar happened with President Clinton. (As in: "(Pre. Jan 20, 2011)You know, he's too obsessed with bombing this Bin Laden guy." (Post-9/11)"You know, the trouble is that President Clinton didn't bomb Bin Laden enough.")

IIRC, the criticism of Clinton with Bin Laden was far more complicated than that:

State Dept. Says It Warned About bin Laden in 1996

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The one that tickles your tastebuds the most. Can you give me any sort of response to the actual meat of the article?
That democrats have abandoned everything they stand for? Meh.

How's the family values crowd doing in that regard?

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married

It's a harsh, but extremely fair and (IMO) accurate, article about why so many Democrats (but not all) no longer seem to care about war, and why their new-found appreciation of Dubya isn't simply because they're comparing him to Trump:

I think a simple analogy will work well here.

If you were given two plates, one of grasshoppers, one of steak, and had to choose one, you would choose steak.

If you were given two plates, one of grasshoppers, one of feces, and had to choose one, you would choose the grasshoppers.

Not hard to understand

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

The article makes the issue out to be totally black-and-white, when in reality - like much of life - it's shades of gray. Many Democrats have proclaimed a newfound appreciation of Bush in light of how he compares to Trump in terms of domestic policy and general dignity of the office. There's also the recognition that he was largely misguided by his cabinet and advisers, especially with regards to Iraq. That doesn't totally excuse him, but it makes it easier to elevate him above Trump, who often seems to commit his (admittedly, less horrible acts) with full consciousness of what he's doing.

With regards to the rise of the surveillance state, I don't know of many (if any) people who actively support it. There are also not many actively fighting it either though, which I think speaks to a combination of normalization of the situation (there will be people voting in 2020 who have never lived in a country not under the Patriot Act and all of the further legislation that it led to), a general feeling of helplessness (it rarely feels like we as individual citizens can make a difference in the political process these days), and the apathy that all this - combined with the "bread and circuses" of social media - has spawned.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Maybe my own political perspective is clouding things for me but the number of issues which the left has given up over the last twenty years really is incredible. The weird thing is that they won a lot of arguments. And I don't mean inane "culture war" nonsense. I mean real, substantive arguments. Stuff they campaigned on for decades is no longer up for discussion. Nobody is arguing that point anymore except a few paleocons whose ideology isn't long for this world anyway.

It's really stunning how the left isn't touting their own record since, on pocketbook issues, they've pretty much run the table.

Very strange.

Of course, they've also become neocons pretty much. There's not much daylight between Hillary's proposed foreign policy and Bush 43's actual foreign policy. Meanwhile it seems like the right has wised up on those issues. So there's that.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Cycle seems to be that when the new guy gets into office he becomes the great Satan. However, once he's been out of office for a term or so and people have started to forget the criticisms leveled against him, and suddenly the old guy is treated as someone who was pretty good, but lamentably the new guy (being the great Satan) has completely turned away from the old guy's honorable ways.

The same thing happened with Reagan. Get your hands on some vintage political commentary in the 80's or early 90's and you might be shocked just how much people hated him. But in the years of W it became increasingly common for Democrats to pine for the great old years of honorable Reagan compared to the horrible present.

I mean, even Nixon is sometimes talked about fondly.

Of course, not everyone follows the memo, particularly not when they are talking amongst fellow travelers. So you'll still see plenty of hate for W, Reagan, Nixon, etc., in the right places. But less and less in discussions in mixed company.

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That democrats have abandoned everything they stand for? Meh.

How's the family values crowd doing in that regard?
They still love marriage and inappropriate content on the side. No change

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

So think about how the right has gone then.

Yeeesh....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As in independent, I will admit that I prioritize Trump's attack on our democratic institutions over policies inherited from Bush.

One point in Trump's favor (over GWB): he has yet to launch an unnecessary war....

Upvote 0