• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Why debate at all?

Discussion in 'Debate Other Religions & Faiths' started by YJM, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+1,573
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Tony Bristow-Stagg

Tony Bristow-Stagg Member

+118
    Australia
    Baha'i
    Married
    Only God knows who has receptive hearts and Faith is a gift from God.

Regards Tony

3. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+1,573
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Plus, I think that it is a better use of time to have a real debate (objective) here on CF than to be doing some other things...

Besides, the debates here are post by post, so...I mean, how heated are they gonna get? I think these types of debates are inherently more objective than verbal ones.

4. Tom Farebrother

Tom Farebrother Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+6,871
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Personally I find it to be a useful learning process, in most cases. I think it's partly about understanding that ideas are just ideas, you have to form your own, not rely on others to do it for you.

5. Gottservant

Gottservant God loves your words, may men love them also Supporter

+241
    Messianic
    It's more important that we agree with one another, than that we perfect scripture.

6. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+1,454
    Christian
    Private
    So you would rather debate debate? What caused you to repent? Could that reason, whatever it is, be used in debate?

7. PoppyB

PoppyB Active Member

+194
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    I think you are right. Not everyone who comes to these forums is robust enough to withstand the constant barrage of controversy. Some just come for fellowship and encouragement but end up being so confused about various aspects of their beliefs that like you their faith goes on the back burner. I'm glad you got yours back.

Being able to trust in God to show us the truth out of all the differing views is vital and we need to pray about them and practise the gift of discernment.

8. YJM

YJM MARRIED! 20th December 2013

+164
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Do I hate Islam and the Quuran?

Absolutely. Guilty as charged.

Do I hate Muslims?

Absolutely not.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  9. Tony Bristow-Stagg

+118
    Australia
    Baha'i
    Married
    That is not logical as hate is the motivational factor. It is the hate of who a Muslim Is, their very soul. Put to the test the hate would become manifest against a muslim.

What you may hate is what you see in not from God /Allah in the Quran, in a way that it is practiced by some Muslims. In that case Christianity and the Bible can also fail the same test.

Regards Tony

10. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,936
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I think it is better not to debate but to post opposing views and let the reader decide. Debate often ends in frustration and confusion.

11. Tony Bristow-Stagg

+118
    Australia
    Baha'i
    Married
    Another way is having the ability to let go of a view, if in debate it is found to be flawed. In the end we do not own a view, we would have built it upon other thoughts. The best place to build them being upon the 'Word of God'.

Sometimes it takes the clash of differing opinions before the spark of truth is found.

Regards Tony

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  12. Dave L

+2,936
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I'm moving more into this by letting things lay after a certain point.

13. Tony Bristow-Stagg

+118
    Australia
    Baha'i
    Married
    That is very wise. :) We can only offer the good we have found, if what we offer becomes a further cause for division, then that is a good time to let things lay.

Regards Tony

14. tim bennett

tim bennett New Member

+5
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    hopefully accepted again?

15. tim bennett

tim bennett New Member

+5
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    i don't let go

16. Dave L

+2,936
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I'm getting away from this but was always the last man standing.

17. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 "Only Me!" Supporter

+2,173
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    Sometimes I can't help but chuckle when I log in and see the same "debates" get re-enacted over and over again. Usually it's some issue no-one can agree on and keeping the debate running is like flogging a dead horse. I'm often amazed if the threads go further than the first page without everyone throwing their toys out of the pram.

Debate is precisely what it is. It's not a sermon. It's not me teaching you or telling you what you must believe and what you must do. It's about sharing my thoughts on a topic and listening to yours. I might not always agree with your conclusions, but I am interested in what life experiences you had which brought you to those conclusions so I can be a person who is more tolerant, understanding, and willing to learn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. SteveIndy

SteveIndy IndyWatchman.com Supporter

+136
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    "Iron sharpens iron" but sharp iron can inflict a deadly wound. Debate causes me to "prove all things" and I will concede to anyone who gives me good Scriptural reason to change my mind. What I have found among those who simply want to argue is that they will not concede one iota regardless of the preponderance of evidence. Healthy debate is good.

19. dms1972

dms1972 Well-Known Member Supporter

+566
    Non-Denom
    Single
    How did you come back to Christ may I ask, did you talk over your lost of faith with anyone?

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  20. lsume

lsume Active Member Supporter

+182
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Some decades back, there was a debate between a PhD in physics and a PhD in education about evolution. I was embarrassed by the approach taken by the professing Christian. Faith is Faith and it won’t happen by seeing miracles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.