✟894,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Curious as to the purpose.

Listening to Matt Dellahunty, Seth Andrews and others helped me to lose my faith for 2 years.

Now I have repented and I am hopefully accepted again by Christ.

Isn't it risky to allow debate that may take away others from the true faith of Christ?

What's the point?
I believe you have just opened up a debate.
Blessings

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Precisely! Which is why Jesus Christ founded one Church, said it was to remain one, and promised that one Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". 2,000 years later, that one Church remains one in belief, one in teaching, one in worship, one in biblical understanding throughout the world. All of the debate is among unauthorized manmade denominational churches that have come into existence by defecting from the one Church Jesus founded, thereby forfeiting His promises of the fullness of truth.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟241,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Listening to Matt Dellahunty, Seth Andrews and others helped me to lose my faith for 2 years.

You lost your faith by listening to atheists. Others have gained their faith by listening to Christians. Such is life. Hiding under a rock doesn't strike me as a plausible option.

Upvote 0

lsume

Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Isn't it risky to allow debate that may take away others from the true faith of Christ?

What's the point?
As I seem to recall, The Apostle Paul had trouble with the Greeks who wanted to debate. However, if Christ has prepared the soil, it will receive the seed and grow and be nurtured.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Debate is a good thing.

Arguing is not.

Most do not understand the difference.

In debate both people should be able to pose their beliefs in a calm, rational way. Not only should they be able to state what they believe, but why they believe it.

In arguement, I am right, you are wrong and I dont need to support my position or beliefs because with my hard heart I'm not listening to you anyway, my pride and ego wont let me.

Debate you can, at the very worst come to a respectful stalemate where you or they walk away with at least some understanding of your or their beliefs and why.

If you debate and your beliefs and whys do not contradict themselves.. you cant lose when you know what you believe and why.

Arguing is nothing more than a waste of time.

There is not a doubt in my mind that Christ would debate while He walked the Earth, because debate is about discussing ideas, it's nothing more than a respectful conversation on one topic... with a goal. (The goal being to put truth out there, and let it be heard. In a manner that doesnt need to state "I'm right you're wrong" as truth, is truth and truth calls out to those that truly desire truth and light.)

Arguing being a waste of time, I do not see Jesus doing because it doesnt matter how many truths are spoken... if they do not have ears willing to hear those truths.. it will change nothing, do nothing but waste time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The_wanderer 40

Feb 25, 2019
Texas
✟50,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
YJM, I think I see your point here. The amount of horrible treatment of others that I see online literally turns my stomach. And it happens on CF, too. I refuse to participate. If there is any place to be loving, it is here. Defending is one thing but debating to 'win' is not loving.

Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Precisely! Which is why Jesus Christ founded one Church, said it was to remain one, and promised that one Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". 2,000 years later, that one Church remains one in belief, one in teaching, one in worship, one in biblical understanding throughout the world. All of the debate is among unauthorized manmade denominational churches that have come into existence by defecting from the one Church Jesus founded, thereby forfeiting His promises of the fullness of truth.
The Church is the Body of Christ.
The Body of Christ are those who have faith in Christ as Lord and Saviour.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟83,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What's the point?

You Love Jesus and it sounds like you Trust Him.

He’s got you.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Definitions are being redefined everyday. We should not be placing our trust in people, but solely on God for His infinite wisdom - and He gives freely when you ask for it.
Debate is something Paul did, and he did it well by the grace and authority placed on him by God. Jesus Christ did not stick around for those who chose not to listen, and He also exposed the truth in people by what He saw in their heart. He was not afraid of offending people because that is how conviction works - which is a good thing! However, we are not to offend people for the sake of offending, but only to speak the truth in love. Jesus Christ was and is not without compassion. He wept as we do and He felt for those without shepherds.

For example, I comment on YouTube sometimes, and someone doesn't like what I have said even though it was not directed at anyone. Just commenting about truth. I speak truth to them in love, but I've had a few people come back at me with rage and just wanting to argue. I simply leave them either no response, as directed by the Spirit, or respond a last effort to sow a seed, again by God's direction.

If we are just debating for the sake of arguing, then it's against what God has said in the Bible. Nothing good comes from us alone, but with the Spirit does our words along with God's Word have power behind them.
:yellowheart:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Polite intramural debate is necessary for the continued health of the Church.

"..........., when you come together as a church, I hear that divisions exist among you; and in part I believe it. For there must also be factions among you, so that those who are approved may become evident among you." 1 Corinthians 11:18-19

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟392,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
That is not the point.

A "Christian forum" should be a place of peace and edification. Not a place of debate. Hell why not open up a "Satanist" sub forum? Seriously why not? Go down the road of entertaining everything and you'll get....everything. We are called to be separate, different and set apart, not all inclusive to everything.

Is the point of CF to be all things to all men, or a place where people that love Christ come to discuss? The former means no boundaries and everything is permissible, the latter means boundaries and standards.
Are we debating about debating? I think your definition of debate which was an argument against scripture or Christ isn't debate at all but rather some form of anti-christian discussion, where as actual debate might be about specific aspects of Christianity.

If the latter form of debating is enough to cause for someone to lose their faith then maybe the debate should be in a mature section of the forum so that people who enter that part of the forum are advised ahead of time as to what they are getting into. If they can't debate without the possibility of losing their faith then they shouldn't be debating at all. We should as Christians always be reinforcing our faith with the Truth at all times so that nothing can shake us. So to speak we should always build on the rock so that our building does not fall with a crash as the one who built on the sand did.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

What's the point?

I suppose one could suggest that it depends on what exactly we're debating. Personally, I have learned a lot about various topics of discussion through the debate.

Specifically after getting out of high school, I found myself with a core set of fundamental beliefs about the world.... but without any understanding of why I had those beliefs.

By looking at issues from multiple perspectives, through debate, I found that some of my beliefs didn't fit the facts, and others did fit the facts, and I was stronger in those beliefs.

Everyone's faith is going to be tested at some point. It will be tested in the pain of life, or the peer pressure of the culture, or some other way. Out of all the ways to be tested, through the means of debate, seems the least damaging and stressful.

But everyone, especially those who grow up in the faith, at some point have to face the brutal harsh question "do I really believe this?", and many will walk away from it, until they come to a clear direct answer to that question.

• Winner
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I say unless it brings them to God do not debate, Walk away and dust your feet from them.

I try not to debate unless I fill called to explain truth to others.

The key thing here is you came back to God, if you came back then also so they will and can.

Its a learning process.

Also, If I make a good point in a debate, and the other person one day comes to God, they will use that same information of debate for them self and also have that understanding in there life.

Even before they come to God, they hold that information to help bring them to God when that time comes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TechyinAZ

Sep 2, 2018
Flagstaff
✟17,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Wow, I'm so glad Christ's will was for you you came back!! Just like the prodigal son.

I view this question like this, not debating and forcing ourselves to merely believe our faith without exploring it is pragmatism. If anything not exploring the faith can lead people away from Christ too.

If I didn't ask the hard questions, and not accept the possibility that I could be wrong about Christianity being true. I would not be here today with you right now. I'd probably be an atheist and an evolutionist.

i say this because design dictates that everything has an answer, everything has an end goal. We are designed to ask the hard questions and should, because that is how we grow.

So if someone thinks Christ might not be real, I would absolutely encourage him to dig deep and understand why. Sure there might be a possibility that he could walk away from the faith, but that is Christs will.

I fully trust that Christ will show that individual that the bible is truth only. If someone digs deep and goes away from the faith by digging into the word, then it is the LORDs will that happened, for he already has a wrong mindset from the very beginning and probably was never saved in the first place.

The biggest problem with not looking at all sides of the argument is the fact that you do NOT know if you are wrong. This is why asking if Christianity is wrong and challenging your beliefs is the best thing you can ever do.

I've been asking the hard questions, asking even if evolution was true due to how sucked in our culture has been to evolution. I soaked in the idea that it could be true, and I'm glad I did for I figured out (by God's grace and will) that it is indeed not true. It is illogical and idiotic.

Upvote 0

Tony Bristow-Stagg

Sep 29, 2018
Normanton Far North West Queensland
✟21,550.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married

What's the point?

It may also lead a person to the 'True Faith' in Christ.

Each has a personal journey, the point is we have free will to walk the path we choose and God will always test and guide us.

Regards Tony

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tony Bristow-Stagg

Sep 29, 2018
✟21,550.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married
Debate is discussing the possibility of scripture being wrong, or Christ being a fake or a liar.

No one comes to Christ on THEIR terms, they come on HIS terms.

The debate is about possible human input into what is recorded of Jesus the Christ. The history of Christianity demonstrates that man was not able to agree on many aspects and thus have made many branches of different thought. Some have been a tumultuous separation.

The Bible is there for all to read and we can each come to Christ on what is that Word of God.

Regards Tony

Upvote 0

Tony Bristow-Stagg

Sep 29, 2018
✟21,550.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married
(On a side note yesterday I was given a warning for comparing the Koran to toilet paper...I stand by that 100%. Why is a Christian giving me a warning for comparing the evil teachings of satan to toilet paper? I think I was actually elevating the Koran in that comparison).

Personally I see it was very Christian of the modeators for you to get a warning. I also see such hate speech is not based on the Love of Jesus the Christ.

Regards Tony

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.