Why cheese?

Porkchop_1020

Sep 7, 2015
✟7,935.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I got into a discussion with a friend about Lent and Orthodox fasting, and she had a very good question... Why dairy? Why not, say, sugar?

The wine is obvious, but why were the other foods (meat, dairy, oil) chosen over, again, sugar or something, and WHO chose them?

Originally she asked why we didn't eat these things if it wasn't laid out in the Bible to not eat them. So since the Bible didn't say it, she wants to know who did.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm just guessing here, but if diets consisted (potentially) of vegetables, fruits, grains, meats, dairy, eggs, and oil ... then the meat, dairy, eggs, and oil are the "rich" parts. This was much more apparent to me when I lived on a farm and we produced most of our own food.

A priest explained it to me that it has to do with animal products, which meat, eggs, milk, dairy all are directly. He also said olive oil was once stored in animal skin containers (for that matter, wine was too), so they all have that it common.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,010,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would say that if I stocked up on sweets during lent, but technically avoided the prescribed fasting foods, I would be missing the spirit of fasting.

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would say that if I stocked up on sweets during lent, but technically avoided the prescribed fasting foods, I would be missing the spirit of fasting.
I agree.

In my case, it takes some application to make it work.

If my SF tells me to have a serving of dairy each day, ice cream wouldn't be the right way to go about it.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,010,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree.

In my case, it takes some application to make it work.

If my SF tells me to have a serving of dairy each day, ice cream wouldn't be the right way to go about it.
Exactly. There was a period of time where I needed eggs for protein. I tried to have egg whites or plain eggs just for getting the nutrition. There is a balance which can be different for each person!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yep. I was reminded in threads this morning.

I actually have to have some meat. There is no way I can keep up the overall requirements for proteins without it, unless I buy supplements I can't afford.

But I think paying attention to how they are prepared is important.

I am reminded when I was pregnant, and on a similarly high protein requirement. The only way I could meet it was to bake dozens on boneless chicken breasts at a time, and eat them frequently. I got so sick of plain chicken breast!

About like I usually feel about peanut butter by the end of the fast, lol.

Upvote 0

Porkchop_1020

Sep 7, 2015
✟7,935.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so the short answer I'm gathering is, the food restrictions are rooted in being meat products. The historical point about sugar was very enlightening, had not thought about that.

But the next part of the question was, WHO decided this? Like, did the church immediately start these practices the day of Pentecost, or were they implemented by bishops the way? And if so, when?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd be curious to know the answer to your second question. The Lenten fast was mentioned VERY early, I know that much.

I wonder if it's not something grown out of the Jewish fasting habits? I'm not sure though ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,163,065.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Seems to me that the prohibition on olive oil is borne out of Greek culture, for instance. I'm curious as well.
Olive oil makes everything extra delicious. Plain food isn't so plain with olive oil added.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Seems to me that the prohibition on olive oil is borne out of Greek culture, for instance. I'm curious as well.
In this day and age, it's best understood as oil in general (junk food and fried food for instance, obviously out of the question). Just like wine is best understood as alcohol in general.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I'd be curious to know the answer to your second question. The Lenten fast was mentioned VERY early, I know that much.

I wonder if it's not something grown out of the Jewish fasting habits? I'm not sure though ...
It was standardized mostly based on the monastic observation, I believe.

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟28,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
In this day and age, it's best understood as oil in general (junk food and fried food for instance, obviously out of the question). Just like wine is best understood as alcohol in general.
That's the way I've always looked at it, though getting rid of olive oil on its own is challenge enough!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,452,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the Lenten diet is largely patterned after the fast of the prophet Daniel who ate spare amounts of grains. THese are called by an archaic term: "pulse" in the King James Bible. See Daniel 1.

I imagine the cultural asceticism of the ancient Jews such as the Essenes also played a part.

Upvote 0