LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This video features Michael Coren, author of a book called, "Why Catholics Are Right." He is a former Protestant who converted to the Catholic faith. I watched the video, which is in a Q & A interview setting, and was very impressed with how he articulates the Catholic position on various issues. IMO, Michael Coren is also entertaining and has a quick sense of humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgTviWKWWMo

Last edited:
Reactions: WarriorAngel

ahs

May 18, 2013
Texas
Visit site
✟8,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This video features Michael Coren, author of a book called, "Why Catholics Are Right." He is a former Protestant who converted to the Catholic faith. I watched the video, which is in a Q & A interview setting, and was very impressed with how he articulates the Catholic position on various issues. IMO, Michael Coren is also entertaining and has a quick sense of humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgTviWKWWMo

GREAT interview! I hesitated clicking on it, but I am glad I did. Steve Paikin certainly didn't go easy on him, but Michael's responses were thoughtful and well delivered.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
GREAT interview! I hesitated clicking on it, but I am glad I did. Steve Paikin certainly didn't go easy on him, but Michael's responses were thoughtful and well delivered.
I'm glad you liked it. I happened to see it when my wife was watching it.

Upvote 0

Lepanto

Jun 16, 2008
Liverpool
✟27,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Excellent video.

One big excuse Protestants make to not to convert (even if they know deep down that Protestantism is wrong) is
"which Church does not matter, it's the relationship with Our Lord that matters."

When you asked who taught them so, they'd say "Our pastor told me so!"

(What a contradiction)

Upvote 0

Lepanto

Jun 16, 2008
Liverpool
✟27,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Let's forget about who are right in a minute. Just think of the so many so many different interpretations of the Bible today !!

The arguments between different Christian denominations are unending, but who has the right to say who is right and who is wrong ????

On one hand, Protestants believe in "sola scriptura"; on the other hand, Protestant pastors (i) set themselves up as authority in interpretation of the Bible and hold Bible Study Classes; (ii) accuse Catholicism as unbiblical. (How contradictory!)

All these just prove that there must be an authority to say who got the right interpretation, and who got it wrong, isn't it ??

Since the Bible cannot be the sole authority, our Saviour must have authorized someone to give the right interpretations of the Bible to the faithful. Which Church has the real authority ???
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

CONCLUSION
Protestantism teaches "sola scriptura" - the Bible is the sole authority and pastors are not. Therefore, we can deduce from this that Protestantism cannot be the true Church.

Last edited:
Reactions: xTx
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I can't watch the post right now but regardless, what a horrible way to title it. It's that kind of arrogance that started driving people away from Catholicism in the first place.
I titled this thread the same as the video and book that the OP is about.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Lepanto

Jun 16, 2008
Liverpool
✟27,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just found out that paper was not invented until 105 AD. But it didn't arrive in Europe until much later. When was it ?

Around 1150 AD !

Yes, 1150 AD (and the printing press was invented in 1450s). That means to create a book, even a hand copied book, before that year would be a difficult and expensive task. So Martin Luther's idea of everybody reading and interpreting the Bible wouldn't work before 1150 (our Lord founded the Church in 33 AD).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I know. That's what I was commenting on, not on you.
What do you believe the title could have been? I've read the book, and his reversion notwithstanding, it is an accurate title. What you have to understand is that, all over the news, headlines can be summarized "Why the Catholic Church is wrong."

Reactions: s_gunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How about "What I think is right about the Catholic Church" or almost anything else less there's-our-opinion-and-the-wrong-one, in your face arrogance?

arrogance is so off putting

like someone told me that "2+2=4"
can you believe that? such arrogance!

it would have been so much nicer if they said "well, and this is just my personal opinion, but I like to think 2+2=4, now I know not EVERYONE believes this, but that really speaks to my soul, now I am not saying you have to believe that 2+2=4, but if you want to talk about it we can explore this idea and other alternatives"

see, isn't that second phrase so much nicer?

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the lead in. This is precisely the kind of silly arrogance I am talking about.

The tiny difference that you tragically appear incapable of grasping is that 2+2=4 is a known and provable fact, beyond even the tiniest doubt. It has nothing to do with anyone's beliefs. Zero. Religious beliefs, however, are called BELIEFS for a reason. They cannot be proven at all, let alone beyond all doubt. Get over it.

Please, don't post such ridiculous replies with such absurd analogies. They are well beneath you.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the lead in. This is precisely the kind of silly arrogance I am talking about.

The tiny difference that you tragically appear incapable of grasping is that 2+2=4 is a known and provable fact, beyond even the tiniest doubt. It has nothing to do with anyone's beliefs. Zero. Religious beliefs, however, are called BELIEFS for a reason. They cannot be proven at all, let alone beyond all doubt. Get over it.

Please, don't post such ridiculous replies with such absurd analogies. They are well beneath you.

well it was a bit tongue in cheek and hyperbole

but the basic of it is right
maybe I should have explained it better in my response to you

it used to be that men were sure about what they believed and humble about their own abilities.
The Catholic Faith is reasonable, and as such, can be explored with reason and logic
yes faith is needed, but we are not unreasonable, there are historical proofs, theological proofs, philosophical proofs

also you called my arrogance silly, is that not arrogant of you to judge my arrogance as silly?
you should have said it as "maybe in a way your phrase could have been seen as a little bit silly"
sorry I am going on again

I have noticed this a lot
like any strong statement is now viewed as "arrogant"
it seems to be a cultural thing

sorry again if I was rude, I was not mocking you, I was just taking an argument into the absurd to better illustrate a point

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't think Catholicism is right, but...

If you say, "I think", that leaves room for doubt. You should know for a fact and present it that way if you truly believe what you follow is right. It's not anyone's fault if someone is a weak minded infant and has a problem with your sureness (or arrogance, as one of them called it).

Upvote 0