Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I first told friends and colleagues about my new book Why Catholics Are Right, they were intrigued by the proposed content but disturbed by the title: “Sounds a little proud”; “Is that sufficiently conciliatory for these progressive and pluralistic days?”; and “You ought to be careful because it might offend people.”

Which is odd. When I suggested to them titles for other books by other people such as Why Liberals Are Right, Why Conservatives Are Right, even Why Muslims Are Right, and especially Why Atheists Are Right, they thought them entirely reasonable and unlikely to cause any problems at all.

To believe something is, self-evidently, not to believe something that is its contrary. So obvious is this that it is not questioned and seems a taken-for-granted truth about most subjects. It is, after all, just common sense. But to claim that being an authentic Roman Catholic necessitates believing that Roman Catholicism is correct positively terrifies many modern men and women, as though a Catholic claiming to be right was some terrible sin. Not that many of these people believe in sin of course.

The implication – that being Catholic means, well, being Catholic and leads to the persecution or killing of others who are not Catholic – is naturally insulting. But as we know – and I think the critics really do as well – being Catholic means nothing of the sort. Still, it usually takes only a few moments during a disagreement for someone to bring up the days when Catholics did indeed give their opponents a hard time, as though in all of history only Catholics have ever got that wrong or even just acted like most people in earlier ages.

So I kept the title for a specific reason: to oblige and demand a certain clarity from readers. I’m a Catholic and believe in Catholicism. And thus I believe that people who disagree with my beliefs are wrong. I do not dislike them – or at least don’t dislike all of them – nor do I wish to hurt them, even those who wish to hurt me and will probably wish to hurt me even more after they read this book, pretend to read it, or read nasty reviews of it.

Continued- http://www.thecatholicthing.org/columns/2011/why-catholics-are-right.html

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read the title and started thinking of all the things I can say now that I have the status of being right!!!

I always knew I was right but now that I am Catholic its confirmed. :D
^_^

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I know I am taking things out of context. I am just a nutter butter. Sorry if I am ruining your thread, Michie lol.
You are a nutter butter! :p

Upvote 0