Why Can't Baptists Dance? Are They Allowed to Go to Dances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcorlew

Serving His Flock
Aug 21, 2008
Missouri, the show me state!
✟16,657.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am SB and have been for 20 + years. There is a ban on the "stereotypical" dancing like at high school dances and nightclubs, after what I had seen I would have to agree that nothing good was coming of that.

However, it is worth noting that people in our congregation dance while singing, as a part of worship, and who can't dance around to "Your Grace Is Enough". Believe this or not, dancing as a part of worship is encouraged, but it is not doing the Macarena or the Humpty Dance or anything like that. Now I, being called to be a Sunday School Teacher by the Lord, even support dancing as a part of marriage. A slow dance in a quiet moment with your spouse is very for good for a marriage. I even dance around the house with my daughter to some of her favorite songs and sing along with her.

I suppose it is said that all things are permissible but few things are beneficial, you have to weigh what you are doing with what you are trying to be. If what you are doing is not an outward expression of the Love that is described in the Bible, chances are you should not be doing it.

Just remember in all that you do we are all Christ to this unbelieving world, and to deny Him with our lives in return He will deny us in our day of judgment, that thought terrifies me, so to me better safe than sorry.

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
thought about this in Sunday school yesterday as we're reading Colossians

Colossians 2:20-23
Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

IMO that says a lot about our man made rules and how foolish they really are.

Upvote 0

Phileoeklogos

Alten Schule Baptist
Mar 8, 2006
OHIO
✟8,763.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am a Southern Baptist myself, and I have always wondered: why in the world is there a ban on dancing? It's not of the devil. Dancing isn't a sin. David and Moses both "danced for joy" in the Bible. Can anyone enlighten me?

Because we have "Pharisees" too.

Upvote 0

rcorlew

Serving His Flock
Aug 21, 2008
✟16,657.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I do not think it is so much that we have leaders who misinterpret scriptures as we have in the past have had leaders who see the fine line of what is acceptable and that far too many cannot stop short of that line. When pressured one pastor we had finally said the reason that Baptists do not dance is because of the over sexualization of contemporary dancing. He went on to say that things like folk dancing squared dancing to name a few are perfectly ok. I would also throw in there ballet and tap dancing as we have had our daughter in both of those.

So I would say this from my experiences, dancing at a wedding (or that type of setting) is ok, but in large part what goes on at nightclubs and many school dances is not ok. If what you are doing makes the desires in your heart change, that is when it is wrong and becomes a sin. Other than that, whatever you do, do with a cheerful heart.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
An interesting read.
I grew up American Baptist. I don't think there was any rule against dancing. But the general view I cam away with was that dancing led to sexual desires and so wasn't a god thing to do.
But I always had some problems with the general view as dacing was part of worship in the Bible. As I studied man, it was clear that dance was apart of many cultires of the world. SO it seemed to me that God cerated us with a desire to move. This is so clearly seen when I child hears music and starts dancing immediately.
So I went to dances much of my life. Have been doing more dancing the last few years as well. Its great.

dayhiker

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am a Southern Baptist myself, and I have always wondered: why in the world is there a ban on dancing? It's not of the devil. Dancing isn't a sin. David and Moses both "danced for joy" in the Bible. Can anyone enlighten me?
I don't know how to dance. But this sounds like an interesting topic.

Upvote 0

ImmersionX

Apr 1, 2008
✟1,065.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think the whole "no dancing allowed" thing is a bit outdated. That used to be the big "war of the roses" so to speak in the SBC but now a days the SBC's main focus is to rid the world of alcohol in all of it's forms. Bah I say on both concepts.

PS: I'm a "southern baptist". ;)

Upvote 0

rcorlew

Serving His Flock
Aug 21, 2008
✟16,657.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
thought about this in Sunday school yesterday as we're reading Colossians

Colossians 2:20-23
Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

IMO that says a lot about our man made rules and how foolish they really are.

To take that scripture on to the next verses in Chapter 3 is necessary to understand what is being talked about specifically.

Col 3:1 If, then, you were raised with Christ, seek the things above, where Christ is sitting at the right of God; Psa. 110:1
Col 3:2 mind the things above, not the things on the earth.
Col 3:3 For you died, and your life has been hidden with Christ in God.
Col 3:4 Whenever Christ our life is revealed, then also you will be revealed with Him in glory.
Col 3:5 Then put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil lust, and covetousness, which is idolatry;
Col 3:6 on account of which things the wrath of God is coming on the sons of disobedience,
Col 3:7 among whom you also walked at one time, when you were living in these.
Col 3:8 But now, you also, put off all these things: wrath, anger, malice, evil-speaking, shameful speech out of your mouth.
Col 3:9 Do not lie to one another, having put off the old man with his practices,
Col 3:10 and having put on the new, having been renewed in full knowledge according to the image of the One creating him,
Col 3:11 where there is no Greek and Jew, circumcision and uncircumcision, foreigner, Scythian, slave or freeman, but Christ is all things and in all.
Col 3:12 Therefore, as elect ones of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassions, kindness, humility, meekness, long-suffering,
Col 3:13 bearing with one another and forgiving yourselves, if anyone has a complaint against any; even as Christ forgave you, so also you should forgive.
Col 3:14 And above all these, love, which is the bond of perfectness.
Col 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which you also were called in one body, and be thankful.
Col 3:16 Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly, in all wisdom teaching and exhorting yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Col 3:17 And everything, whatever you do in word or in work, do all things in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father through Him.

Now, if what you are doing is OK with the rest of the story, then by all means do it for the Glory of the Father. When people ask why you dance, say that I am happy to receive His blessing if you are, tell them that celebrating the bounty of Heaven, if you are, but if you are doing the Macarena, claim insanity followed by amnesia.

That last one was a joke, but seriously, the reason we are to try to be so plain is to not detract from the message that we are trying to bring. Jesus just kind of in a way fit in with the crowd somewhat, he did not do anything to detract from the message, and that is what we are to do. I have not seen it that we cannot do the electric slide of bus stop or things like that as a part of fellowship, but if what you are doing would make people second guess your faith then don't do it.

Upvote 0

Phileoeklogos

Alten Schule Baptist
Mar 8, 2006
OHIO
✟8,763.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ok, since no one is even close to the real reason why Southern Baptists are not supposed to dance, I probably shouldn't let this out, because this comes from Top Secret SBC documents at the highest level, keep it on the down low,............... Dancing leads to card playing, card playing leads to Bingo, Bingo leads to the Tiber backstroke, but you didn't hear it from me...............;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.