Why Can't Baptists Dance? Are They Allowed to Go to Dances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi GarrettC,

In my time in the SBC, there has been varying dislike of dancing from church to church. Those who dislike dancing (forbid in some cases) dislike it on the concept that it is less artful and more sexual in nature. Take the dirty dancing trend of the 80s to present. Also, the gyrations of Elvis provoked ideas that dancing is indecent. So, the primary concern is with dancing to pop, rock, R&B, etc. However, the SBC has taken it to an extreme and put a limit on all forms of dancing in their statements, and have not made any loopholes for ballet or other forms of dancing that are truly art.

My thoughts on dancing are that one should be modest and not turn it into a sexual display. This is more than 'intent' as often people are so immune to the sexualization of the culture that they do not perceive the sexuality of certain things. Grinding to some is not sexual, although it is based solely on this concept. Society has turned something of a perverse display into something acceptable. These types of things should be avoided. However, when it comes to things like moving to a beat to have fun or slow/close dancing in a modest way (think not-salsa or dirty dancing) is fine. It is when it turns to the point where the two need to get a room that dancing becomes problematic.

However, (note this is coming from a conservative SB member and student) the SBC has had a tendency to rely on tradition on a few things rather than on Scripture in somewhat of a legalistic way. The complete barring of all kinds dance is one of these instances. For instance, Psa 149, 2 Sam 6, and other passages show dancing in a good light. There are plenty of instances of dancing in the negative, such as the hedonistic dancing of the Israelites when Moses was on Mt Sinia, or when Herod's daughter danced before him and then asked for John the Baptist's head.

The bottom line is - when you dance can God be glorified or is your testimony being destroyed by your actions?

I hope this helps.

In Christ,
Dave

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi GarrettC,

In my time in the SBC, there has been varying dislike of dancing from church to church. Those who dislike dancing (forbid in some cases) dislike it on the concept that it is less artful and more sexual in nature. Take the dirty dancing trend of the 80s to present. Also, the gyrations of Elvis provoked ideas that dancing is indecent. So, the primary concern is with dancing to pop, rock, R&B, etc. However, the SBC has taken it to an extreme and put a limit on all forms of dancing in their statements, and have not made any loopholes for ballet or other forms of dancing that are truly art.

My thoughts on dancing are that one should be modest and not turn it into a sexual display. This is more than 'intent' as often people are so immune to the sexualization of the culture that they do not perceive the sexuality of certain things. Grinding to some is not sexual, although it is based solely on this concept. Society has turned something of a perverse display into something acceptable. These types of things should be avoided. However, when it comes to things like moving to a beat to have fun or slow/close dancing in a modest way (think not-salsa or dirty dancing) is fine. It is when it turns to the point where the two need to get a room that dancing becomes problematic.

However, (note this is coming from a conservative SB member and student) the SBC has had a tendency to rely on tradition on a few things rather than on Scripture in somewhat of a legalistic way. The complete barring of all kinds dance is one of these instances. For instance, Psa 149, 2 Sam 6, and other passages show dancing in a good light. There are plenty of instances of dancing in the negative, such as the hedonistic dancing of the Israelites when Moses was on Mt Sinia, or when Herod's daughter danced before him and then asked for John the Baptist's head.

The bottom line is - when you dance can God be glorified or is your testimony being destroyed by your actions?

I hope this helps.

In Christ,
Dave

Hi Dave, good to hear from you again.

In light of what you said, I guess the Tango would be way, way over the line. :D

Or how about pulling your beloved wife up close to you and dancing a waltz? Or some kinds of Ball Room dancing?

That perhaps, in some extreme cases could be considered "sexual".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's all in the way it is done. I hate drawing an arbitrary hard line in the sand, because to me that can turn into the same legalism I try to avoid. There are ways these can be done tastefully, and lovingly, just as a hug can be either a good or poor display.

I think I might stick around a little more here, as I am not at work 100 hours a week anymore (still at work, but only working 60 to 70 per week). It's good to be here, and thanks for the welcome, Dean. :)

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's all in the way it is done. I hate drawing an arbitrary hard line in the sand, because to me that can turn into the same legalism I try to avoid. There are ways these can be done tastefully, and lovingly, just as a hug can be either a good or poor display.

I think I might stick around a little more here, as I am not at work 100 hours a week anymore (still at work, but only working 60 to 70 per week). It's good to be here, and thanks for the welcome, Dean. :)

Brother, I was only kidding you.

I of course agree with everything you said.

If I hear a nice slow song that my wife and I can waltz to comes on the radio or something similar, I will dance the waltz with my wife.

If that is sinning, then, I have to admit, I'm a sinner.

Still, its good to see you here, and to have you back at least partially.

I look forward to seeing you here.

Welcome Back.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Great posts people! There is hope for us baptist folks yet!:clap: I'm glad to see such thoughtful discussion going on, as the subject is not without controversy in most church circles. It's enough to make want to dance!;)

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I have to agree with the rhythm thing. I can't even clap to a beat. :clap:

I feel sort of bad, I initially made the comment as a joke and then all sorts of folks are saying yes - that's right, Baptists have no rhythm

Upvote 0

Christian Soldier

QUESTION EVOLUTION
Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
✟2,190.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I was raised in a Southern Baptist church and I have never heard this. Do you think that maybe it is just something that your church believes?

Nor have I heard of it.

I've attended and visited numerous Southern Baptist churches, and I've never heard of a ban on non-sexual forms of dancing, such as ballroom, tap, various types of folk dancing etc.

Of course, most Southern Baptists, as well as many other denominations, have a definite problem with dancing that involves sexual gyrations.

I think some here are basing their opinions on preconceived notions of Southern Baptists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hisbygrace

Carried On The Wings Of An Eagle
Sep 22, 2004
California
✟158,418.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Democrat
That very well could be Christian Soldier. The Southern Baptist used to be
considered very conservative and straight laced. Today many of the SB churches
are loosing up some, although they still take God's word as final authority in all
things. But, we know today and understand that God wants His children to find
joy and happiness. He welcomes our joy as He does our sadnesses.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.