Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello skepticlogician, I would like to preface my response to your inquiry with some gratefulness.. first of all, the patience and love you have for your son. I only imagine how challenging it must be, but truly, the way your heart responds to his tests just works to reinforce my faith in humanity. I too often see parents that condescend and unreasonably punish their children, but here you are making every effort of self-sacrifice, to afford him the basic rights to love that he deserves as a child. It really moves me bro, and I am going to pray for you too, that The Holy Spirit will become more present in your family so that these tests can become less demanding :crossrc:

.. but secondly, I am grateful because I have known of your activity on this board for a while, and for a while I have wanted to engage with you in a serious discussion. The reason for this, is that you do have a great grasp on logic, and I do too. It is my hope that through discussion, I can assist you to understand Jesus the way He was and is, the way the authors of the bible have put it, and to lift your mind away from the place where you are presently right to object to it all. I say this because what I see in what you have been taught, amounts to a strawman of what Christianity really is.

Do you know the phrase "many hands make light work"? .. well, consider the inverse: lesser hands make heavier work. This fits well with one of the comments that Jesus made: "the harvest truly is great, but the workers are few". This is the reason that He laid down His life, because in doing this, He had a legal opportunity through God's law, to continue His campaign from heaven using His followers (that's us) to do the ground work. Now, because we are flawed creatures, we do make mistakes that He would not make, but that is the nature of the world in this present age.

The reality is that only Messiah can save the world, because only Messiah has the rightful authority to do so according to God's plan. But His life was cut short at thirty-something years (Daniel 9:26), and He was prevented by the religious leaders of His time from taking the appointed place of Messiah (Isaiah 9:6-7, John 18:36). This happened through no fault of His own, but through the wrongful judgement of the religious leaders who condemned Him to death on the charge of being a heretic, choosing instead to release a known killer (John 18:38-40, Luke 22:69-71).

But it isn't as though every person who calls themself Christian is in fact operating on behalf of Jesus as this covenant is intended to do, and I do not refrain my words for fear of offending those ones. There are many who call themselves "Christian" and who operate within churches and who teach ideas that they suppose to represent scripture, but in fact they are teaching doctrines of the devil in the name of Jesus. This is how 1 Corinthians 14:33 becomes relevant: "God is not the author of confusion", but of course, everybody will agree that Christendom is reputedly a religion of confusion (2 Peter 2:2 - bringing the way of truth into disrepute).

Basically, there is a central logical fallacy that the devil has achieved in Christianity (Matthew 12:25): if two people claim to represent The Holy Spirit, and yet do not agree, then logic states at least one of them must not be truly representing The Holy Spirit. And we can see that this is the case: there is a huge number of counterfeit spirits that love to misrepresent Him. They call themselves "The Holy Spirit", but they operate through sin (eg: hubris motivates many - Jeremiah 23:16-22).

These counterfeit spirits are empowered to teach their confusion when a Christian believes and promotes an untruth. It is because of false doctrines that Christians do this, and it is also the way false doctrines are formed (by sin - the teacher does not repent at the conviction of The Holy Spirit, and creates a teaching that twists the scripture so it becomes palatable to his sinful preference - 2 Peter 3:16).

The way a Christian is typically indoctrinated, is by yielding their belief to the authority of the one they have taken as their teacher. In most cases, a person has a life-changing experience with God, and they become associated with a group of believers, to learn from them. They will have questions, and sometimes a given answer will not make perfect sense, but they will yield to peer pressure in order to belong. Jesus warns against this though, when He says "do not be called "teacher" - for one is your teacher: Your Father in heaven" (Matthew 23:8-10). St. Paul warns similarly in Philippians 2:12 when he says: "now in my absence, work out your own faith with fear and trembling" - "making the best use of your time, because the days are wicked".

This is the real Christian faith: we do not yield the authority of our belief to any other than God Himself (Luke 9:23), and when we come to enter covenant with Him, we do in fact recognise His voice so that we are able to follow Him (John 10:4-5). In this way, we individually represent Him amidst the congregations, while with wisdom (Matthew 10:16), we tactfully oppose the rote believers, shining light in the darkness, promoting the truth that will set His captives free (Matthew 18:18).

While we ourselves are not the fullness of the perfection of Messiah, we are given a portion of grace and power according to His presence within us (Ephesians 4:7), and we are encouraged to keep growing in that measure (Ephesians 4:15, Galatians 4:19).

So with that said, I hope that you will grant me to have a rightful honour in your view of being associated with the truth in Jesus' name, so that you will disassociate me in your view from those who have come before me - those who try to sway you into the absurdity of the errors that they have concocted or have received without proper scrutiny.

I commend you for having resisted those absurdities to this day, even though within you and especially at the beginning, you know instinctively who God must be: a righteous, fair, just and loving person.

I do apologise that you have had to encounter so many evil doctrines that come in His name but that have denigrated His character, and I implore for your grace and mercy as you are able to understand that not every person who teaches from the scriptures in fact does represent what those scriptures are intended to convey. There is also no perfect English translation yet, and even while comparing all of the available ones, some of the more vital comprehensions just can not carry fully in the English language itself.

For this reason, I do encourage you to keep with logic and your own consciencious conviction as the baseline for your judgement of doctrine, and then look to see how scripture can build upon that, rather than going the opposite way. This is, afterall, how the writers of scripture had their authority to make those statements (2 Peter 1:20), and if you keep a clear conscience, you will know by it that God is not against you while you make statements of absolute authority of your knowledge (2 Corinthians 1:12).

At the end of the day, you need to give account for your own words just as I do (Matthew 12:36), and this is why it is essential to not yield the authority of our belief to the perceived authority of another man. There is only one mediator between man and God: Jesus Christ, and true Christianity will bring you to have a relationship with Him, to know your authority in His name, whereas the false Christian religions will assimilate you into a regime of human authority according to recognised qualifications (certifications). That is not the way that Jesus or His disciples come to have their authority. Remember, they were lay-persons, and they all opposed those who weilded superficial authority - St. Paul especially, by stating Philippians 4:3-9 - "All I gained through the law I count as rubbish, in order that I might gain Messiah: the righteousness that comes from God not based on lawful achievements, but from trusting in Messiah.

This is what I encourage in you too, to hold fast to the vindication of your conscience and seek to recognise His voice so that you may receive His approval.

Also do not take to heart everything people say, lest you hear your servant cursing you.
For many times, also, your own heart has known that even you have cursed others.
Ecclesiastes 7:21-22

To clarify, I'm referring to forgiveness according to the actual definition of forgiveness, as in not seeking retribution or punishment for a wrong done to you.

I mean, we, humans do it quite a lot, from the smallest, as in 'someone cutting off in front of your car in traffic' to the most serious, as in 'your son insulting/hitting you without justification' or even 'forgiving a spouse's infidelity'. I'm not saying that everybody does it, obviously, the number of people who actually forgive in the real sense of the word, is probably not huge, but the point is that those few people, they really do it, people really can forgive without the wrong being alleviated in any way...

Why can't god do the same? Why is punishment a requirement in god's "forgiveness"? The whole idea of atonement or requiring 'someone' to pay or to be punished so that god can grant forgiveness to the guilty party... that is not real forgiveness, why can't god truly forgive the human?
No, it's not about His forgiveness, but our reconciliation. God does forgive in the way that you said that we do here.

Atonement is needed for us to let go of the guilt and shame of our error. Do you remember that Adam and Eve hid from God? This is what we do too, when we begin to oppose His Holy Spirit.

I would like to do some very important ground work with you, because part of the whole false teaching that has been formed in you is based upon this idea that original sin caused a genetic fault in the human. But that is a doctrine of the devil. Babies are born pure and then they are corrupted by the fallen world as they grow (Ecclesiastes 7:29). This is why young children smile more than older children: they are more pure, less adulterated (Titus 1:15).

St. James 1:14-15 teaches: each one of us is tempted by his desire, and when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin. Sin being mature, brings death.

How does this desire become conceived? I tell you, it is because the world encourages us to give birth to that wicked desire that naturally we are hesitant to indulge in. The world is notorious for corrupting pure minds in this way. Of the most heinous is the parent's authoritarian stance toward a child's innocent mistake. The parent does not consider that the child was innocent in making the mistake, because the parent possesses understanding that would convict them if they had have made the same mistake. But the child does not yet possess that understanding, because he is learning. Yet, the parent's judgement is rendered without that consideration, and invoking wrath to punish as though culpable, the one who was in fact innocent in his wrong. This teaches the child that it is better to use deceit that they should not be found responsible for error and therefore to evade punishment. From the child's perspective, they are right to do this, because they actually are entitled to mercy on account of their innocence (learning - not culpable for the error).

This attitude continues into adulthood, and when we choose to engage in sin, The Holy Spirit convicts us so we choose to harden our ears to The Holy Spirit. Even though The Holy Spirit still speaks to us and convicts us in our conscience, we choose to oppose what He is saying to us, because we perceive the opportunity of denial through deceit - nobody can prove our error, and we will pretend that nobody knows what our conscience convicts us of. (Pay attention to this tendency within yourself - it is our selves that give us a greater insight to human nature than anybody else ever can do).

When we begin to live in this way, we are no longer of good conscience in God's presence. This is why it is necessary for God to provide a means of forgiveness to us: so that we can have a real and true sense of mercy and acceptance, through having confessed our sin and made atonement for it (1 John 1:9). It is not until we come to acknowledge our error and to choose to do good instead of bad, that we can have reconciliation with Him, by knowing that there is no reason to hide from Him (Genesis 3:10).

This is what it means to be "born again" (John 1:13): it means to have that life and relationship with God restored to us, that was lost when we began evading His Holy Spirit through denying His presence. His Spirit is also called "The Spirit of Truth" (John 14:17), and when it has an opportunity to convict us because of our error, then we need to make a decision: do we repent and do what is right so that we do not receive conviction? or, do we choose to believe instead that The Spirit of Truth is some sort of hallucination or coincidence, and seek to use an excuse to block His conviction against our conscience, knowing that nobody has any evidence against us, or that God's Holy Law is unreasonable?

This is where the depth of the truth comes in Psalms 51:1: "It is a fool who says in his heart "There is no God". Such one has done an abominable deed, and not one of them does good".

But everything that you are describing about your knowledge of Love and mercy, does in fact add up to describe God's character perfectly, and it shows that your expectation of His nature only conflicts with what you have come to understand that Christianity teaches of it. This isn't a surprise to me, because I know that the spirit of the antichrist has been operating amongst false teachers for 2,000 years already (1 John 4:3).

1 John 4:18 states against the false doctrine you are investigating and for your position against it: "there is no fear in love, because fear holds punishment", and 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 states "Love keeps no record of wrongs". This is why I gratefully receive this opportunity to approach you in such way to encourage you to press forward with your scepticism against what you think Christianity teaches but toward and for the truth that you know Christianity has: because you know in your heart the true character of Jesus, and you are determined to find it in His name! :clap::clap::oldthumbsup:

It is a matter for you, of straightening-out your perspective of scripture that has been tainted and twisted by those who teach falsehoods in His name, essentially because they do not have such strength to resist falsehood as you do. In saying this, I only encourage that you do not commit the logical fallacy of thinking that Christianity is false based upon your present incapacity to understand it's proper truth - because that can change with time.

Be careful to stay patient, because I know how strong that serpent is that tempts you to hate our misled brethren, and that itself is a cause for The Holy Spirit to convict you and to contend your reconciliation (Genesis 3:1a). There is a way to weild righteous anger and to crush that serpent beneath your feet. I encourage you to pursue that (Genesis 3:15, Revelation 3:21).

BTW, nice to meet you at long last! Here, check out this gospel booklet I have put together, that shows what scripture says about some core topics without any selfish ambition or guilt trip. I did this very prayerfully, and even consider the pictures I chose to associate to the topics, because it speaks volumes:

Adonai Reigns : The Gospel : God did not send his son to condemn the world!

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2010
✟16,397.00
Faith
Agnostic
By what authority do you say this? Do you know God better than the men He chose to spread the good news?

Just in case you hadn't noticed I'm not a believer (although I was a believer for the most part of the first 30 years of my life), so that should give you an answer to your question. But one doesn't have to believe in God or the Bible to realize that the word "forgiveness" is not being used correctly either by the Bible or christian doctrine. But then again, that's why when there is dialogue, any of the parties are allowed to ask "why do you mean by this or that word?". So, as long as my believer interlocutors acknowledge that they are not using the word "forgiveness" as it is most commonly used in everyday life, I'm OK if you decide to keep using it with that biblical definition. Just be honest as any good christian should, and acknowledge that my question was valid from the very beginning. If you're answer is something along the lines of "well, that's how God's forgiveness works, even though it's not the same as pure forgiveness as it's most commonly defined in every day use", then, that's fine with me.

The bible is irrefutable. If your trying to teach things that are against the teachings of the bible then your wasting your time because no one is going to listen to anything that contradicts the bible. If you pick and choose only certain parts of the bible that fit your beliefs then your beliefs are incorrect.

That the bible is irrefutable is a completely different debate which we could probably embark upon, but we should probably do it on a different thread.
And no, I'm not trying to teach that things that are against the teachings of the bible. I merely asked a completely valid question about forgiveness because the way this is portrayed in the bible and in christian doctrine with the plan of salvation and everything, is not true forgiveness, as the most commonly use of the word describes it.
I don't pick and choose certain parts of the bible to fit my beliefs. Actually, I don't have any beliefs that are based on the bible anymore. Believers who want to pretend that the bible only contains great things and ignore facts like the bible completely condoning slavery, misogyny and other things, those are the ones that pick and chose whatever fits best to their beliefs.

You have to fully understand the teachings of the bible in its entirety to fully understand its teachings. Picking and choosing certain parts that fit your beliefs and throwing out the rest will result in an incomplete understanding of what God is trying to teach you. Let the bible mold your understanding of God's word instead of using your reason to mold the bible into what you think God's word is.

For a long time, even after I stopped believing the bible to be divinely inspired, I wanted so much for theistic doctrines based on the bible to, at the very least, be internally consistent, that way it would be less difficult to perform apologetic from at least certain perspectives from the believer's point of view. Sadly, I have found that this is not the case... but again, we can debate that on separate threads.

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2010
✟16,397.00
Faith
Agnostic
I think that your idea of forgiveness falls very short of what real forgiveness implies. if you want to see what real forgiveness is then here you go. notice how the gates of new jerusalem are never shut but the wicked do not enter. so how can you say that God does not forgive when it is the evil people that will not enter? stop trying to blame God for human freedom.

For the sake of space and the fact that my question from the very beginning was merely about the correct use of the word forgiveness, I won't address your whole biblical argument. Plus, remember that from the non-believer's perspective, a response that completely ignores the actual definition of the word in every day use, and instead defines it completely with biblical doctrine, will simply clarify for me that the word is being used completely different that what it means by definition. Again, thanks for clarifying that this is how it is used by christian doctrine. I will now be aware that when the bible says forgiveness, it's actually something totally different that what the word means by definition.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, I assume forgiveness from christians is also conditional?
Mathew 6:12 --> "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us"

Yes. It is also conditional. But, this doesn't mean that forbearance, patience, and charity are conditional.

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2010
✟16,397.00
Faith
Agnostic
The Lake of Fire, the final destination of all who reject God for whatever reason--reject the Creator and decide to try and be their own gods, however they phrase or live that--is not anything other than the love of God.

That's quite a mouthful with a lot of assumptions (I know, not your words, as you are paraphrasing what the bible says and what not). It should be interesting to the believer how us, non-believers, see these words, especially with the fresh eyes of having been a believer for so long and no longer being one. "to try and be their own gods"? Incredible how nonsensical this phrase is... Dude, I can be on my way to work tomorrow and get creamed by a bus and that's it for me... wow, how magnificent a god I'm trying to be that can get killed at any instant. Non-believers are in fact more aware of how valuable and FRAGILE life really is! Is it the fact that we strive to use logic and deeply analyze our reality, is that what is supposed to make us pretend that we are gods? Come on...

So, there is no punishment unless it is self-punishment. God punishes no one, we punish ourselves.

With all due respect, this is another case of cheap cop-out. Isn't the punishment we are talking about supposed to be hell (or eternal perdition, however you want to phrase it)? Isn't God supposed to be all-powerful that he could simply take that punishment away from humans?
If you saw your son was about to fall off a cliff, because he disobeyed you and rode his bike when he wasn't supposed to or whatever, and now he lost control of his bike, and you as the father can clearly see that this is about to happen and know exactly what you can do to save him, would you be so cruel as to let him fall to his death, only because "oh well, that's the consequence of disobedience... he is punishing himself"?
If your answer is 'no', then you yourself prove to be more merciful and forgiving than the God you believe in! If you answer is 'yes'... holy moly, is religion messed up...

Now, that teaching may go against what you have been told, and what many people on CF believe and perhaps teach, but it is nevertheless the truth. The Lake of Fire, in the words of Jesus, was prepared for "the Devil and his angels"--in other words, the Fallen Angels. Jesus promises that all who hear of our salvation from the death brought by Adam and reject it will also spend eternity there. But the sad part is that we put ourselves there, God--who is Love--does not. The spell had to be unspelled. It took the Blood of Jesus shed to do that. There is no other way shown to us. We don't understand the Blood, but it is a requirement. So, there is no possibility of taking the poison from us without the antidotal Blood.

Right, we put ourselves there... as your son would jump off a cliff voluntarily riding the bike he wasn't supposed to use...

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2010
✟16,397.00
Faith
Agnostic
Think of it this way: you tell your son stay away from drugs because they'll ruin his life, but he doesn't listen and does drugs anyway and suffers the consequences. I'm sure even though he has done this, you'd still be willing to forgive him. Also, the punishment he endured for doing drugs was not directly inflicted by you, but rather a result of disobedience.

Your position seems to be from the point of view that God is just evil, but try thinking of him as simply a loving Father who wants to redeem his lost kids.

The big difference between your analogy and the christian doctrine around this strange version of forgiveness is that I would do EVERYTHING I could to attempt to alleviate my son's suffering through those consequences or even have him bypass them completely if ever possible...
Conversely, God, according to the biblical doctrines you believe in, will just sit there watch you perish and burn because "oh, well, that's what he gets for his sins... he is just punishing himself, I can't do nothing about that"... Are you kidding me? I thought he was God!
Anyway... a little dramatic emphasis there... my point is that your analogy doesn't quite work.

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2010
✟16,397.00
Faith
Agnostic
Yes. It is also conditional. But, this doesn't mean that forbearance, patience, and charity are conditional.

I would've thought that, as christians, there would be at least a few cases in which you could actually forgive unconditionally... Apparently not? Very interesting indeed...

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would've thought that, as christians, there would be at least a few cases in which you could actually forgive unconditionally... Apparently not? Very interesting indeed...

Yep. ;)

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OP: Q: "Why can't God "forgive" "human beings"?".
A: Objection. FALSE PREMISE! The Bible is full of guidance ABOUT and examples of a Loving and Merciful God unconditionally FORGIVING His "Children"...SAVED BELIEVERS! 1 John 1
God does NOT forgive UN-saved UN-BELIEVERS!!

And believers unconditionally and spiritually FORGIVE their fellow man!

Matthew 118:...Jesus on Man's "Forgiveness" of Man
21 Then Peter came and said to Him,
"Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?"
22 Jesus said to him,
"I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. (PERFECTLY INFINITE!)

Forgiveness of sins of believers is THE major spiritual benefit of SALVATION!.

Acts 10:43 (ALL NASB)....Of Him (Jesus) all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins."

Matthew 26:28 ....for this is My blood of the (NEW) covenant, which is poured out for many (accepting it) for forgiveness of sins.

Luke 22:20
And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.

Isaiah 43:25 ...(God:) "I, even I, am the one who wipes out your transgressions for My own sake, And I will not remember your sins.

Hebrews 8:12 ...."For I will be merciful to their iniquities, And I will remember their sins no more."

Hebrews 10:17 ..."And their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
forgive (VERB )..stop feeling angry or resentful toward (someone) for an offense, flaw, or mistake: (REF: Free Dictionary)

Most world religions include teachings on the nature of forgiveness, and many of these teachings provide an underlying basis for many varying modern day traditions and practices of forgiveness. Some religious doctrines or philosophies place greater emphasis on the need for humans to find some sort of divine forgiveness for their own shortcomings, others place greater emphasis on the need for humans to practice forgiveness of one another, yet others make little or no distinction between human and divine forgiveness.

REF: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgiveness

What Is Forgiveness?

Psychologists generally define forgiveness as a conscious, deliberate decision to release feelings of resentment or vengeance toward a person or group who has harmed you, regardless of whether they actually deserve your forgiveness.

Just as important as defining what forgiveness is, though, is understanding what forgiveness is not. Experts who study or teach forgiveness make clear that when you forgive, you do not gloss over or deny the seriousness of an offense against you. Forgiveness does not mean forgetting, nor does it mean condoning or excusing offenses. Though forgiveness can help repair a damaged relationship, it doesn’t obligate you to reconcile with the person who harmed you, or release them from legal accountability.

Instead, forgiveness brings the forgiver peace of mind and frees him or her from corrosive anger. While there is some debate over whether true forgiveness requires positive feelings toward the offender, experts agree that it at least involves letting go of deeply held negative feelings. In that way, it empowers you to recognize the pain you suffered without letting that pain define you, enabling you to heal and move on with your life.

REF: https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/forgiveness/definition

Bible Verses About Forgiveness - Read passages that offer biblical guidance on forgiveness and how important it is to forgive others as we have been forgiven by the blood of Christ

REF: http://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/forgiveness-bible-verses/

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just in case you hadn't noticed I'm not a believer (although I was a believer for the most part of the first 30 years of my life), so that should give you an answer to your question. But one doesn't have to believe in God or the Bible to realize that the word "forgiveness" is not being used correctly either by the Bible or christian doctrine. But then again, that's why when there is dialogue, any of the parties are allowed to ask "why do you mean by this or that word?". So, as long as my believer interlocutors acknowledge that they are not using the word "forgiveness" as it is most commonly used in everyday life, I'm OK if you decide to keep using it with that biblical definition. Just be honest as any good christian should, and acknowledge that my question was valid from the very beginning. If you're answer is something along the lines of "well, that's how God's forgiveness works, even though it's not the same as pure forgiveness as it's most commonly defined in every day use", then, that's fine with me.

That the bible is irrefutable is a completely different debate which we could probably embark upon, but we should probably do it on a different thread.
And no, I'm not trying to teach that things that are against the teachings of the bible. I merely asked a completely valid question about forgiveness because the way this is portrayed in the bible and in christian doctrine with the plan of salvation and everything, is not true forgiveness, as the most commonly use of the word describes it.
I don't pick and choose certain parts of the bible to fit my beliefs. Actually, I don't have any beliefs that are based on the bible anymore. Believers who want to pretend that the bible only contains great things and ignore facts like the bible completely condoning slavery, misogyny and other things, those are the ones that pick and chose whatever fits best to their beliefs.

For a long time, even after I stopped believing the bible to be divinely inspired, I wanted so much for theistic doctrines based on the bible to, at the very least, be internally consistent, that way it would be less difficult to perform apologetic from at least certain perspectives from the believer's point of view. Sadly, I have found that this is not the case... but again, we can debate that on separate threads.

Who said forgiveness can't require stipulations? If a husband cheats on his wife she might have a certain set of rules to add in their relationship in order for her to grant him forgiveness. The husband has wronged his wife so he should be expected to make some effort to make amends. Should she forgive him if he makes no effort at all? Now of course our situation is much different with regards to God and our sin but this is only an example of how forgiveness isn't always free. In fact in most cases of forgiveness it requires the person who wronged someone to make an effort to make amends. Forgiveness is about not holding a grudge. Nobody said it has to be free.

Upvote 0

Beorh

Writer of Dark Literature
Sep 2, 2017
Saint Augustine
Visit site
✟15,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's quite a mouthful with a lot of assumptions (I know, not your words, as you are paraphrasing what the bible says and what not). It should be interesting to the believer how us, non-believers, see these words, especially with the fresh eyes of having been a believer for so long and no longer being one. "to try and be their own gods"? Incredible how nonsensical this phrase is... Dude, I can be on my way to work tomorrow and get creamed by a bus and that's it for me... wow, how magnificent a god I'm trying to be that can get killed at any instant. Non-believers are in fact more aware of how valuable and FRAGILE life really is! Is it the fact that we strive to use logic and deeply analyze our reality, is that what is supposed to make us pretend that we are gods? Come on...

With all due respect, this is another case of cheap cop-out. Isn't the punishment we are talking about supposed to be hell (or eternal perdition, however you want to phrase it)? Isn't God supposed to be all-powerful that he could simply take that punishment away from humans?
If you saw your son was about to fall off a cliff, because he disobeyed you and rode his bike when he wasn't supposed to or whatever, and now he lost control of his bike, and you as the father can clearly see that this is about to happen and know exactly what you can do to save him, would you be so cruel as to let him fall to his death, only because "oh well, that's the consequence of disobedience... he is punishing himself"?
If your answer is 'no', then you yourself prove to be more merciful and forgiving than the God you believe in! If you answer is 'yes'... holy moly, is religion messed up...

Right, we put ourselves there... as your son would jump off a cliff voluntarily riding the bike he wasn't supposed to use...

Finis. Go your own way, friend. Have a good one.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The big difference between your analogy and the christian doctrine around this strange version of forgiveness is that I would do EVERYTHING I could to attempt to alleviate my son's suffering through those consequences or even have him bypass them completely if ever possible...
Conversely, God, according to the biblical doctrines you believe in, will just sit there watch you perish and burn because "oh, well, that's what he gets for his sins... he is just punishing himself, I can't do nothing about that"... Are you kidding me? I thought he was God!
Anyway... a little dramatic emphasis there... my point is that your analogy doesn't quite work.

Jesus does suffer with us when we're going our own destructive way and he does intervene when necessary. That's really what the gospel is all about, God intervening and showing us what true love is. Being willing to lay your life down for others, but we aren't forced to listen and do the same.

• Agree
Reactions: Beorh
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For the sake of space and the fact that my question from the very beginning was merely about the correct use of the word forgiveness, I won't address your whole biblical argument. Plus, remember that from the non-believer's perspective, a response that completely ignores the actual definition of the word in every day use, and instead defines it completely with biblical doctrine, will simply clarify for me that the word is being used completely different that what it means by definition. Again, thanks for clarifying that this is how it is used by christian doctrine. I will now be aware that when the bible says forgiveness, it's actually something totally different that what the word means by definition.

well the best I can tell you is that you are in error as to what forgiveness is. I tried multiple times to explain the concept but you seem to have an understanding of forgiveness based in governmental legislation? which is sad because that is how many Christians view forgiveness. carry on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

...and that condition usually requires the expression of a contrite heart over the wrong done, an acknowledgment that such behavior deserves punishment, and a willingness to make amends as much as possible. That's the basic condition for forgiveness...and that's just between human beings, and on the human side of the Covenant offered by God which stands between God and humanity.

But, for forgiveness from God to also be affected, the further condition requiring that actual justice be dealt out for sin(s) perpetrated in the presence of an Utterly Holy God ALSO has to be met. And this condition is one that is impossible for any human being to meet.

Fortunately, since God "so loves people," He's willing to take the bullet Himself and apply the value of the penalty due as an opportunity for the fulfillment of the Justice required in His Holy being and as is reflected as part of the New Covenant.

So, when a human being shows faith by positively responding to God, and the conditions mentioned above are met, then God gracefully and mercifully applies forgiveness to those who show faith in Him. He then expects those of us who are affected by this forgiveness to at least offer similar opportunities for forgiveness to others who wrong us as well. (see Matthew 18:21-35, which further elucidates those verses you quoted to me previously.....;))

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
To clarify, I'm referring to forgiveness according to the actual definition of forgiveness, as in not seeking retribution or punishment for a wrong done to you.

I mean, we, humans do it quite a lot, from the smallest, as in 'someone cutting off in front of your car in traffic' to the most serious, as in 'your son insulting/hitting you without justification' or even 'forgiving a spouse's infidelity'. I'm not saying that everybody does it, obviously, the number of people who actually forgive in the real sense of the word, is probably not huge, but the point is that those few people, they really do it, people really can forgive without the wrong being alleviated in any way...

Why can't god do the same? Why is punishment a requirement in god's "forgiveness"? The whole idea of atonement or requiring 'someone' to pay or to be punished so that god can grant forgiveness to the guilty party... that is not real forgiveness, why can't god truly forgive the human?

You raise a good point. Is it possible for the creature to be more forgiving than his Creator?

Who made the rules about Heaven and Hell anyway? Did you or I?

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2010
✟16,397.00
Faith
Agnostic
well the best I can tell you is that you are in error as to what forgiveness is. I tried multiple times to explain the concept but you seem to have an understanding of forgiveness based in governmental legislation? which is sad because that is how many Christians view forgiveness. carry on.
Excellent, thanks for clarifying how christians understand forgiveness. Sincerely, this is really good, my original question is actually being answered. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

God is perfect in justice.. So any transgression must face judgement.. The penalty must be paid for justice to have been done..

Imagine a human judge in a court of law presiding over a case of car theft.. In the end the jury finds the suspect guilty.. In the Law of that land the minimum penalty for the crime is $5000 or 6 months in prison, but the judge likes the defendant and so when it came to delivering the sentence the Judge just says.. Hey i like this guy he just wanted to go for a joy ride, so i am going to let him walk free from this court today.. Case dismissed.....

Can you imagine the outrage that would come if that happened on earth? Would the judge be respected or would the government intervene and take away that judges position and declare him corrupt? I have no doubt that judge would have presided over his last case..

But lets look at the same scenario.. Lets say this time the judge sets a $5000 fine and if the convicted person could not pay it then he would spend 6 months in prison.. The judge likes the convicted person loves him in fact.. The convicted guy is poor and cannot afford to pay the fine. But the judge is rich,, So the judge steps down from the bench goes over to the convicted man and pulls out $5000 in cash and offers it to him as a loving gift so he can pay the fine and walk away free... The convicted man takes the money and pays the fine and walks away free..

Has the Law been satisfied? Yes the penalty was paid in full..
Was the loving mercy of the Judge shown? Yes the convicted one is thankful to the judge for paying his fine..
Can anyone accuse the Judge of being corrupt? Nope justice was served and the judge is free to give a gift to anyone from his own money..

As the human judge came down to the convicted man and offered him a gift to pay the fine so did Jesus come down to earth and pay our fine for our sins on the cross..

Upvote 0