Why can't Christianity be a simple religion?

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
But nobody likes to be wrong. The problem is, if someone is wrong, then that someone would always think of something to justify that "wrong" position and continue that interpretative tradition as though it had been true. If that sort of interpretative tradition works, then it may continue to be passed down to further generations, even though newer interpretations may be more "accurate" or "better" than older interpretations. Also, since people do not normally like to be wrong or feel like they are wrong, I think it's best to show that "wronged" Christian the "correct" method of interpretation politely and sensitively.

I feel like you're talking in circles and I'm not sure what your point is...

Though, it can be a strong foundation for philosophy. A philosophy based on science would be more closer to life, more real, more sincere, than a philosophy based on superstition.

That's a fairly wild claim. You presuppose that belief in Christianity is superstitious. Also, how would a philosophy based on science be more closer to life, more real, more sincere?

Also, why can't a philosophy based on science be combined with a philosophy based on Christianity? Why do you think that a science philosophy is necessarily atheistic?

Of course not. As a human being, I would just imagine that the observations had been accurate and true to life, and therefore, treat the confederate (an actor who plays a role in a typical social observational study) as a real injured man. Naturally anyone would feel empathetic for that person, and seeing that nobody would help out due to a false perception that others would do, anyone would keep that experience in mind the next time he/she goes out. In other words, be the good Samaritan.

I'm not sure what you're saying here or what question you're answering.

Why is it seen as morally better to help the person?

I think the intuitive sense of distinguishing between right and wrong is empathy, but that's just my guess.

Sounds like the Golden Rule to me...

Science may be amoral, but I think I should use my moral judgments on science due to feeling empathy.

What? Can you clarify what this sentence means?

Think of it this way. If you are in the room and there is a bunch of people around and having a party, and there is a sickly sort of person on the side of the room, would you care about that person, or would you assume that other people would take care of that person? Chances are, you would do the latter rather than the former. That's the bystander effect.

I understand the bystander effect. But you seem to think you are exempt from it somehow simply because you have read about it?...:confused::confused::confused:

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Hestha, answer me this:

Why are there young and old?

Then you will know why there are different beliefs: because everyone is unique! Who do you learn from then? The church? A church? No, forget your fellow mankind, they can only communicate by words. Ask Jesus, He communicates by spirit and you will never misunderstand Him.

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Also, why can't a philosophy based on science be combined with a philosophy based on Christianity? Why do you think that a science philosophy is necessarily atheistic?

Because some Christians haven't sought the means to combine them. If Christians had thought the same thing you are thinking now, then there wouldn't be an "Intelligent Design" movement, and there wouldn't be an apologetics club on my university campus called Ratio Christi, which although they claim that they want to expose the false dichotomy between science and religion, just returns to the same old argument: that "scientific naturalism", in their view, is false and biblical creation (young-earth and old-earth) are entirely true. If you can reconcile the theory and fact of evolution with Christianity, then I think you may have achieved your desired goal.

Why is it seen as morally better to help the person?

Wouldn't you want someone to be concerned about your health?

Sounds like the Golden Rule to me...

It is. The Golden Rule is an universal rule on ethics.

I understand the bystander effect. But you seem to think you are exempt from it somehow simply because you have read about it?...:confused::confused::confused:

Well, this isn't really my own idea. I actually read it from my psychology textbook that if people read more about scientific articles and news, then they may understand the world around them better by being in a similar situation, remembering what they may have learned from the study, and do the opposite.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yes. What's your point?

I just want to make sure if that thought is part of your denominational tradition or universal Christian tradition.

You asked what made it complex. I told you.

I reread your post. I think you mean that justification is something granted to you freely rather than something you can attain? Then can you still attain justification without belief in Jesus Christ as a god?

Not really what I'm suggesting no

OK. What were you suggesting?

Most of that is false, outright.

Fine. Then, can you tell me what you think is true or point out the error?

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Because some Christians haven't sought the means to combine them. If Christians had thought the same thing you are thinking now, then there wouldn't be an "Intelligent Design" movement, and there wouldn't be an apologetics club on my university campus called Ratio Christi, which although they claim that they want to expose the false dichotomy between science and religion, just returns to the same old argument: that "scientific naturalism", in their view, is false and biblical creation (young-earth and old-earth) are entirely true. If you can reconcile the theory and fact of evolution with Christianity, then I think you may have achieved your desired goal.

Firstly, science as a method is much broader than just the "Evolution/ID" debate. Science as a method can be applied to almost any topic. Its a system of logic, hypothesis testing and rational analysis.

Secondly, there are many scientists (including biologists, geneticists etc) who are also Christian. So either you are making the brash claim that they are all liars OR perhaps you're wrong and they've found a way to reconcile science and faith.

Thirdly, I'm not sure how you're defining evolution. To me, evolution is simply the changing frequency of a set of genes in a population. As the gene frequencies change, so does the population. As far as I can tell, there is nothing alarming or anti-Christian about evolution. Natural selection on the other hand is when evolutionary biology goes from observing a phenomenon (evolution) to giving it a cause. And natural selection is, by definition, not supernatural. So natural selection and Christianity are ultimately at odds with each other because natural selection is inherently atheistic.

But is natural selection true? Its much more difficult to prove because there can always be another actor driving it that is either yet undiscovered, or non-natural. This then simply becomes a debate about whether supernatural causes exist or not. Do you believe supernatural causes exist? Do you believe the supernatural exists? And thusly we are no longer talking about evolution or science at all but now are strictly talking about philosophy and metaphysics. How do you prove a cause is natural without assuming a materialist universe? If you assume a materialist universe then natural selection is "obvious", but when talking to Christians you cannot assume a materialist universe in the discussion because the Christians believe in supernatural causes.

Even if we observe genes mutating, to a Christian, it is entirely possible that these "random" mutations are in fact "orchestrated" mutations by a creator God. Observed randomness by a limited human point of view may, in reality, be a well-orchestrated pattern from a God point of view.

I also apologize if you have encountered Christians who appear hypocritical or deceitful in their motives to promote science/evolution. :(

Wouldn't you want someone to be concerned about your health?

Yes. But what if someone disagrees with me? Are they then exempt from helping the man because they hold a different set of moral or ethical beliefs?

It is. The Golden Rule is an universal rule on ethics.

What if someone disagrees with you? Then its no longer universal...

Well, this isn't really my own idea. I actually read it from my psychology textbook that if people read more about scientific articles and news, then they may understand the world around them better by being in a similar situation, remembering what they may have learned from the study, and do the opposite.

I don't think you're understanding my question. I'm saying that there is a difference between hypotheticals and action. Given a hypothetical, most people will respond with A. But then when put into the scenario for real they will perform the action ~A (not A).

There is an inherent hypocrisy which is kind of highlighted in those two studies whereby we THINK we would do A, but in reality we do ~A (not A).

EVEN if you study it and learn it and REALLY THINK you will do A, that doesn't necessarily mean you will. And no one is exempt from this. That's the point of the study: no one is exempt from the bystander effect.

I'm essentially saying that even with study and understanding and learning, you still won't be morally and ethically perfect all the time. Even if you study it and learn it, there will still be those times when you're busy and can't help the person or aren't even aware that they are there because you're so wrapped up in your own head.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why can't Christianity be a simple religion? Why must there be so many variants, or denominations, of the religion? Why do Christians always have to argue on what is right and wrong in theology? Why is this even important? What is the purpose of having so many different interpretative traditions? Why not just have one set of beliefs, traditions, and practices that unite all Christians? Wouldn't it be better if Christianity would be nice and simple where everything is laid out neatly on what you should do and do not do, believe and not believe, in order to attain justification instead of having so many roads to God? To me, Christian theology is mind-boggling, because so many Christians here like to give different responses, giving the impression that there is no right answer. Rather, there seems to be a bazillion answers. More than that, Christianity seems to be more of an internal faith than an external faith, which means theology is all about exercising your noggin to exhaustion. If the Christian faith is so complicated and convoluted, then why not just reject the faith altogether and become an irreligious atheist or choose some other religion that is more "spiritual than religious" or theologically much more simple to digest than Christianity?

The world wide (true) Christian Church is the same as a Large City ; within that City you have many neighborhoods and within each neighborhood you have many houses with varying amounts of people living in each house. The people in each house may live, eat, and play differently , but they ALL belong to the same City and no matter where they go in THAT City, they all have one thing in common : The Identity..being of the City.

Where the division truly comes in, is on the issue of THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST --- some churches claim they are Christian yet they dont understand or preach or practice the real Gospel Message. Those are counterfiet churches just as the Bible said .

Also, counterfiet churches put THIER brand of madeup Traditions on par with Gods inspired inerrant Word to mankind , and in some cases add extra books to the same level of authority or greater than the Bible...then One particular church even puts their upper Leaders on the same level of authority as Gods holy Word to mankind. These are heretical Teachers and they need to be exposed for decieving the masses into thinking they are safe for eternity if they follow the Churches and the Leaders teachings.

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Firstly, science as a method is much broader than just the "Evolution/ID" debate. Science as a method can be applied to almost any topic. Its a system of logic, hypothesis testing and rational analysis.

Of course I know what science is. I am majoring in Biology. :p

Secondly, there are many scientists (including biologists, geneticists etc) who are also Christian. So either you are making the brash claim that they are all liars OR perhaps you're wrong and they've found a way to reconcile science and faith.

Yes, I do know that there are scientists who are also Christians. Unfortunately, I rarely hear their side of the story about how they manage to reconcile faith with science. In fact, the actress who plays Amy Farrah Fowler from The Big Bang Theory series is a neuroscientist in real life as much as she is a neurobiologist on screen. She is also a Jewish woman; one time, I saw her in a Youtube video, explaining how she could reconcile her faith with science, and she said that science could explain how something happened and religion could explain why.

Thirdly, I'm not sure how you're defining evolution. To me, evolution is simply the changing frequency of a set of genes in a population. As the gene frequencies change, so does the population. As far as I can tell, there is nothing alarming or anti-Christian about evolution. Natural selection on the other hand is when evolutionary biology goes from observing a phenomenon (evolution) to giving it a cause. And natural selection is, by definition, not supernatural. So natural selection and Christianity are ultimately at odds with each other because natural selection is inherently atheistic.

Influenced by Sean B. Carroll from Endless Forms Most Beautiful, I am going to add that evolution is more than a change of frequency of alleles in the gene pool. Evolution of form can be described or defined as change in development. This definition of evolution would emphasize the importance of embryology.

I am taking a class in Evolution right now, and from what I have learned, I think I can explain the difference between natural selection and evolution. Evolution is the change of frequency of alleles in the population. It acts on genotypes. Natural selection, on the other hand, acts on phenotypes. Just because there is a genetic mutation doesn't mean it would be selected against; the mutation may be silent/neutral. Natural selection is as unsupernatural as evolution or plumbing. In the history of evolutionary thought, there is a concept called methodological naturalism, which is the strategy to trying to explain the world based solely on natural phenomena, and this strategy is fundamental to the scientific method. It's called "naturalism", because it focuses on the natural more than the supernatural. It's called "methodological", because the strategy provides a method or procedure for seeking scientific explanations of the world. Although philosophers began using methodological naturalism as early as 600 BC, this approach would not be solidified or universally embraced until the eighteenth century.

There were many famous scientists in the past who were also devout Christians. There is nothing wrong with being a Christian and being a scientist; however, there is something wrong with explaining natural phenomena with the supernatural. William Paley was admired by Charles Darwin for contributing to the field of science; unfortunately, there was something missing in Paley's theory: that it resorted to the supernatural and explained that nature was a careful watchmaker and designer. Darwin, though he admired Paley's work, thought that nature must be described by natural means alone.

On the other hand, like you said and what Mayim Bialik (actress who plays as Amy Farrah Fowler) said, perhaps the only way to reconcile one's religious beliefs with science is to say that science explains the how while religion explains the why and the meaning of life. In other words, what do evolution and natural selection mean to the individual? That is the philosophical question. Unfortunately, I think some Christians cannot reconcile their faith based on what they perceive evolution and natural selection to imply. I think they believe that evolution and natural selection imply that there is no god, and everything natural governs all of life - where is the room for God or an intelligent agent? Furthermore, the simple idea of a man's being descended from earlier living things seems to be contradictory to the concept of original sin. If Adam and Eve did not literally exist, then where would sin come from? I wish I know the answer, but unfortunately, I don't, and I am afraid I never will. Paradoxically, I believe that sin is a way to explain why people suffer in the world and what people can do about it.

But is natural selection true? Its much more difficult to prove because there can always be another actor driving it that is either yet undiscovered, or non-natural. This then simply becomes a debate about whether supernatural causes exist or not. Do you believe supernatural causes exist? Do you believe the supernatural exists? And thusly we are no longer talking about evolution or science at all but now are strictly talking about philosophy and metaphysics. How do you prove a cause is natural without assuming a materialist universe? If you assume a materialist universe then natural selection is "obvious", but when talking to Christians you cannot assume a materialist universe in the discussion because the Christians believe in supernatural causes.

Sorry, but I am not sure how natural selection has to do with the existence of God. Yes, I do agree that the question of God's existence is a metaphysical/philosophical question, but the natural selection is just a mechanism that acts on phenotypes in order to allow the best fit phenotypes to adapt to the environment. A response to natural selection results in a change in genotypes in a population, and that is evolution. Evolution and natural selection are intimately connected. Perhaps, one can just say that science is one method for learning about the world, and it uses methodological naturalism, and religion is another. Which one is more true? I don't know, but I guess you can combine them together to figure out a deeper meaning and conclude what God is really trying to say through the Bible and through nature, instead of saying that both are against the existence of God. A few years ago when I was in high school, I didn't know much about Christianity, but I had heard about the controversy since then. At that time, I liked to imagine that God created the world, and allowed evolution and natural selection to produce the diversity and unity of life we have today. I thought that would settle the debate. Apparently, I was wrong, since this debate still continues to this day.

Even if we observe genes mutating, to a Christian, it is entirely possible that these "random" mutations are in fact "orchestrated" mutations by a creator God. Observed randomness by a limited human point of view may, in reality, be a well-orchestrated pattern from a God point of view.

Yes, I suppose that is one explanation, which is perfectly valid, if it gives meaning or significance to your life. I find it comforting that there would be a God-Creator who tinkers with nature, even though such a belief is not scientific at all. Personally, I do not think it is useless. I think it gives me a lovey-dovey feeling that somehow I have a reason for being on earth, and that my existence is not arbitrary. At the same time, I fear that such a belief is too idealistic and not at all realistic, and I wonder if I am deluding myself. Reality, it seems to me, is quite scary. I hear stories from modern cosmologists about how they will predict the fate of the universe: that everything will become nothingness as the universe will go into a Big Freeze. That just gives me the goosebumps. However, a supernatural explanation is generally not allowed in science, because, like I said before, and that is repeated in my textbook, science embraces methodological naturalism. It cannot allow supernatural explanations. I am not saying that it is good or bad; I am just saying that it is one way to look at the world, from a purely naturalistic lens or scientific point of view. I suppose religion can explain the meaning of science to the individual and explain why this all happens in nature, like you said. I suppose that is how you can reconcile.

Yes. But what if someone disagrees with me? Are they then exempt from helping the man because they hold a different set of moral or ethical beliefs?

I don't know. But "exemption" sounds like the absence of responsibility or obligation to do something. If a person disagrees with you based on a different set of moral/ethical beliefs, then I suppose that they hold no responsibility or obligation to help you. I can't imagine such a scenario would occur. One must terribly hard-hearted to ignore an injured man!

What if someone disagrees with you? Then its no longer universal...

I can't imagine such a scenario to occur. I believe that morals are universal. The trouble with moral relativism is that one cannot say that another person is morally responsible for something or guilty of something.

I'm essentially saying that even with study and understanding and learning, you still won't be morally and ethically perfect all the time. Even if you study it and learn it, there will still be those times when you're busy and can't help the person or aren't even aware that they are there because you're so wrapped up in your own head.

Indeed. Sometimes, I wish I am an awesome superhero that would be morally and ethically perfect all the time. There have been times when I was caught in a morally obscure situation, and I didn't understand who was right and who was at fault. Therefore, I blamed myself for failing at being morally perfect. With the accumulation of these types of situations stored in my memories, I sometimes wish that I could have a magical wand that could somehow make all those memories disappear, even though I am afraid of what such a wand can do as a side effect. The problem with disappearing memories is that I would have nothing to rely on or learn from. I suppose you can say that my own moral imperfections, my own faults, somehow teach me by experience how to become a better person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok, juggling multiple windows trying to keep the context. Wish our quote function preserved that ... grrr ...

I reread your post. I think you mean that justification is something granted to you freely rather than something you can attain? Then can you still attain justification without belief in Jesus Christ as a god?

First of all, bolded phrase is ... highly out of bounds. He is not "a god." He IS God. And yet God was never reduced to merely occupying the physical space of Jesus' body. Perhaps one of the more difficult concepts in all of Christianity?

Answering what you're asking, I don't see justification as being related. Others might use the word justification to mean something you're referring to though?

OK. What were you suggesting?

It was a fairly simple statement, responding to a fairly simple question posed by you. You were asking about a fairly common concern, that not all Christians are one monolithic block. My response was "And when you apply yourself to seeking God, you will also have your own unique perspective that is valuable. God weaves it all together, like a tapestry"

Fine. Then, can you tell me what you think is true or point out the error?

Ok, here's your statement:

"The problem is, you don't know who is "correct". Every one has his or her own opinions, and every one is entitled to them. Every one thinks he or she is correct. And every one thinks every one else is wrong."

The easiest thing to disprove is the last sentence. Now, RCs (Roman Catholics) seem adamant that everybody else but them is wrong about anything they disagree about, even though most of those so-called disagreements are actually people agreeing with them in principle, and only using different words to say the same thing. So, FIGHT! Not really, I'm using hyperbole here; but this is the biggest source of conflict, and the biggest sect. But nowhere NEAR "every one thinks every one else is wrong."

Next, the overwhelming majority of opinions re: the Faith, are held in common. This is actually what the word "fundamentalist" means within Christianity! It was an ecumenical movement to determine what those common elements are, and all who adhered to them were identified as fundamentalists. Notice that this is completely unlike how the word is used today, wrt Christianity :(

We are left with no way of describing this, short of the long-winded spiel here.

Next, NOT every one thinks we are correct. Most of us value humility and can read. The Bible plainly tells us we don't see the whole picture. It also not so plainly tells us we need one another.

Finally, your first sentence is the most problematic out of all of it. Truth is knowable; it's just too large for any one of us to ever be exposed to all of it, and even what we get a glimpse of, we do not retain very well. By design!

So you see, every element of that statement was WAY wrong. And yet I do see how you could get such an impression!

Upvote 0

PureDose

Pinball Wizard
Sep 18, 2012
✟850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why can't Christianity be a simple religion? Why must there be so many variants, or denominations, of the religion? Why do Christians always have to argue on what is right and wrong in theology? Why is this even important? What is the purpose of having so many different interpretative traditions? Why not just have one set of beliefs, traditions, and practices that unite all Christians? Wouldn't it be better if Christianity would be nice and simple where everything is laid out neatly on what you should do and do not do, believe and not believe, in order to attain justification instead of having so many roads to God? To me, Christian theology is mind-boggling, because so many Christians here like to give different responses, giving the impression that there is no right answer. Rather, there seems to be a bazillion answers. More than that, Christianity seems to be more of an internal faith than an external faith, which means theology is all about exercising your noggin to exhaustion. If the Christian faith is so complicated and convoluted, then why not just reject the faith altogether and become an irreligious atheist or choose some other religion that is more "spiritual than religious" or theologically much more simple to digest than Christianity?

The Kingdom of Heaven is not something people can comprehend outside of the gates.

It is within and among you, it passes unnoticed by the world.

It is not some fascist construction, that men desire, where all become Borg to build some fantastic structure. We remain individuals though we are a conglomerate.

The true Church is spiritual, it is invisible and it is indivisible.

It is of Spirit, not of flesh, not of bricks and mortar, but of the substance behind all which is material.

Carnal man desires dictators, spiritual man desires freedom and life of the individual soul.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bblical information are usually divided into 2 parts, salvation directly related and salvation indirectly related.

The former part is kept simple and no variation is allowed, any variation could mean heresy and failure to be saved. Christians argue to discern and make the doctrine sound. This could be dead or alive. In the spiritual world, this will remain a battefield between God and the devil. It's simple in theology but can be strategically made to be complicated in terms of a spiritual war.

As for the part which is not directly related to salvation, it contains mysteries, misunderstood historical background, prophecies, unclear parts due to they're not related to salvation, and so on. It thus leaves room for different people to have different opinions. This part actually makes the Scripture alive and attractive. If it's rigit leaves no room for variance, there may not be so many people to discuss the scripture. It is because the Scripture is so debatable that some of the people are attracted and turned to believers this way. God allows various minds to have various opinions because as a matter of fact, there are 60 billion unique human minds in this world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums