Why can't America be like it was before?

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have said many times before that i was born too late. I hate the direction modern America and the rest of the Western world is going in. A lot of horrible things are happening today, it's not what America is supposed to be like at all.

Also, it's cruel that God is letting the bad guys keep winning. I know that may not necessarily be how God works, but i have very little faith left in him. I felt that for years. I also don't like that he needs to end the current world and human history so far to be able to fulfil his promises. It's all a cosmic illusion or catch-22. I hate the "end times" but it unfortunately looks like it may well happen within less than 30-50 years and there is nothing we can do to stop it.

I'm in my 20s and i want to live, and i want to see things somehow get back to where they were before instead of all this. If a calamity does come, i hope that humanity as is can be given a second chance or re-do. I hate that this is the only life God allows for us here.

I wish i was born at the same generation as my own parents at the latest.

And i know not all people believe what i mentioned above, but i digress because its still there in some people.

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
it's cruel that God is letting the bad guys keep winning.
This is just silly. Who are the supposed "bad guys"? When you look at the world through a fundamentalist lens, it does appear to be good guys (gods elect) vs. the bad guys (secularists). Maybe we are all just humans trying to figure out how to live among each other in a complicated world. I personally hold no supernatural beliefs and do not think human decisions should be based on old religions or the interpretations of religious texts by other humans. It is absurd to me that some dude reads a religious text and thinks his (maybe her) interpretation of it is correct. Oh the hubris.

Maybe if you stopped seeing others as the bad guys, you might sit down with them in conversation and have an honest empathetic discussion without preconceptions.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The fact is that you were born in the wintertime, to use Spengler's term, of Western Civilization. Accept that and make the best of your life in this age with all its decadence, for that you cannot control.

You can look at the hand that history has dealt you as a challenge, rather than a curse. It won't last forever. Nothing of this world ever does. Figure out what you can do to leave something for a future, saner time, which being in your 20's you may yet live to see, someday.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
The fact is that you were born in the wintertime, to use Spengler's term, of Western Civilization. Accept that and make the best of your life in this age with all its decadence, for that you cannot control.

You can look at the hand that history has dealt you as a challenge, rather than a curse. It won't last forever. Nothing of this world ever does. Figure out what you can do to leave something for a future, saner time, which being in your 20's you may yet live to see, someday.
What is so "insane" about "this time" that did not exist before?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have said many times before that i was born too late. I hate the direction modern America and the rest of the Western world is going in. A lot of horrible things are happening today, it's not what America is supposed to be like at all.

Also, it's cruel that God is letting the bad guys keep winning. I know that may not necessarily be how God works, but i have very little faith left in him. I felt that for years. I also don't like that he needs to end the current world and human history so far to be able to fulfil his promises. It's all a cosmic illusion or catch-22. I hate the "end times" but it unfortunately looks like it may well happen within less than 30-50 years and there is nothing we can do to stop it.

I'm in my 20s and i want to live, and i want to see things somehow get back to where they were before instead of all this. If a calamity does come, i hope that humanity as is can be given a second chance or re-do. I hate that this is the only life God allows for us here.

And i know not all people believe what i mentioned above, but i digress because its still there in some people.

How do you imagine America was before?

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I think, depending on your perspective, things were actually much worse in the past. No one gets to choose the time and place they’re born but if I had a choice I’d stay in the 21st century.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is just silly. Who are the supposed "bad guys"? When you look at the world through a fundamentalist lens, it does appear to be good guys (gods elect) vs. the bad guys (secularists). Maybe we are all just humans trying to figure out how to live among each other in a complicated world. I personally hold no supernatural beliefs and do not think human decisions should be based on old religions or the interpretations of religious texts by other humans. It is absurd to me that some dude reads a religious text and thinks his (maybe her) interpretation of it is correct. Oh the hubris.

Maybe if you stopped seeing others as the bad guys, you might sit down with them in conversation and have an honest empathetic discussion without preconceptions.
Not that I'm necessarily a fundamentalist.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,660.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think, depending on your perspective, things were actually much worse in the past. No one gets to choose the time and place they’re born but if I had a choice I’d stay in the 21st century.
24th century for me, please.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Personally, I think the best decades were the fifties to the nineties. Before the fifties, life was much tougher and they had a depression and two great wars.

In the nineties, the world started to become a very serious place. What with global warming, increasing economic competition, prices of resources climbing. Add to that, loss of job security, too many countries developing nuclear weapons, e.t.c.

Before the fifties and after the nineties, you are correct, life is much tougher and sharper now. I pity the children growing up during the last two decades. They have a very difficult future ahead of them now. There is just far too many people on this planet now, and everything is starting to fall apart.

• Agree
Reactions: VCR-2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It was more tolerant of Christianity and there was less violence (except for racism in the deep south.)
And much less tolerant of everything else.

As for the racism in the deep south, you obviously were never a Native American in the American West, or Hispanic in soutern states, or an Asian anywhere in the US, or LGBTQ anywhere in the US, or etc., etc., etc..

My observation has been that where the US "was more tolerant of Christianity", it has also generally been more INTOLERANT of everything else.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I used to think that the late 1800s would have been great to live in. Until I remembered that there were no antibiotics back then.

In reality, it is best to accept and thank God for what He has given. The key is to find your purpose in the world now. Every person is important in the body of Christ, and the fact is, we need you here now. I hope you can get a vision of what you are to do and be and forget all the bad things going on etc.
Ps 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is so "insane" about "this time" that did not exist before?

This is true ... and so it says in His word.

Ecclesiastes 1

9What has been will be again,
and what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10Is there a case where one can say,

“Look, this is new”?

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Every person from every generation can lament that they were born into a lifespan of horrible years. There are constantly changes that range from easy to difficult with low to high impacts and for the better or worse.

It''s not unusual that you or anyone would lament their position in life as you each see it. But the reality is that everybody's life is full of changes and calamities and blessings unique to that time period.

You're no worse or better off than most generations; in a lot of ways you are way, way better off than all previous generations. What opportunities you have are amazing compared to the limited ones we had in earlier generations.

I realize you're an agnostic per your label, but if you were to practice gratitude you would quickly realize how luck you are as an individual, regardless of when you're living. You have so much compared to the majority of the world. Focus on those blessings and take advantage of them while you have them - they may be gone tomorrow. And if any are gone tomorrow, it's likely there are different and new blessings to take their place.

But I can't accept the lament of anyone who believes that they are victim of their times because anyone can think that and justify it. It's all in the attitude and mindset - those who take on the victim mindset will be hurt victims for what they lack while those who take on a grateful attitude will be grateful and appreciative for what they do have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

At the end of each summer, reeds are broken, yet that's not the end for their essence, for reeds. :)

What is past is like dust in the wind, yet also touches eternity and is with us. A moment can be like years. But all years, even 50 or 90 years, are really only a moment, compared to time that lasts.

There's a related song and post just now about this, which may touch on it in a way that helps. I hope:

Free falling

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Not that I'm necessarily a fundamentalist.
It sure sounded as if you believed the scriptures were the word of God and the good and bad people are divided by god's people and not god's people. That is a fundamentalist construct. I am not saying you are a fundamentalist like say, a member of the Southern Baptist Convention, but that particular statement harks of fundamentalist ideas of duality and moral binary thinking.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
This is true ... and so it says in His word.

Ecclesiastes 1

9What has been will be again,
and what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10Is there a case where one can say,

“Look, this is new”?
That is not clear at all. It could mean anything. I am not even sure what point you are making with it because it is so vague. Its not your fault, I am sure you have a translation in mind that I don't. Can you elaborate?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is not clear at all. It could mean anything. I am not even sure what point you are making with it because it is so vague. Its not your fault, I am sure you have a translation in mind that I don't. Can you elaborate?

so basically what you are saying is .... there is nothing new (ie throughout mankinds history) ...
the verse says the same thing ...

You are saying basically that history (mankinds actions in the past) repeats itself and/or .. nothing new in the history of mankind .... anything that has been done throughout mans history (under the sun) will be done again and there is nothing new.

* all of mankinds history has taken place under the sun.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
24th century for me, please.
Might be good to skip at least a few decades to a couple centuries ahead. Things don’t look great for the near future.

Upvote 0