coolnfc

Student at William Jewell
Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟16,028.00
Faith
Christian
READ: John 4:7-38

Today's passage is one of my favorites I love to bring up when a Christian makes the claim that street evangelism isn't biblical or effective. Here we have Christ Himself happening upon a stranger and preached the gospel to her. Not only was she a stranger, she was "off limits" for Jesus to talk to or even be near.

How many people do we encounter on a park bench, bus stop, check out line, waiting room, subway? So many people who believe that friendship evangelism or relationship evangelism is the only way we should tell others about Christ are simply not understanding the examples in scripture. The Bible illustrates many methods of evangelizing the lost--not the least of which is by just striking up a conversation about Jesus Christ with a stranger.

It's my opinion that many churches today fail to teach this method of evangelism for a variety of reasons. It takes a very committed staff to encourage and equip their flocks to do this. Yet, the most frequent argument I hear today against street evangelism is that it is ineffective. I submit they are wrong because I personally know God uses this method of evangelism to reach people.

We also have the example in our passage today. Christ was effective with the Samaritan woman. It wasn't necessarily because it was Christ speaking the words, it was because of the woman's need for redemption and salvation. We have only to share this good news, too. It's not how eloquent we are or how well we know scripture. If we've been saved, we have a story to share.

Here's a little secret I want to share with you that will finally put to rest all arguments about witnessing to strangers--you are not responsible for the results of your sharing the gospel. We see in verses 35-38 where Christ explains this very point to His disciples who are now watching the whole town curious about Christ after hearing the woman's report.

"Do you not say, 'There are yet four months, and then comes the harvest'? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look on the fields, that they are white for harvest. "Already he who reaps is receiving wages and is gathering fruit for life eternal; so that he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together. "For in this case the saying is true, 'One sows and another reaps.' "I sent you to reap that for which you have not labored; others have labored and you have entered into their labor."
Faith Lesson: Never let anyone tell you you're not supposed to personally evangelize those around you--through relationships and through direct encounter.