Why as christian's we still have fear and anxiety?

PrincessofGod18

Apr 8, 2018
London
✟20,036.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi all

Ever since I was little i have always had some kind of fear and anxiety like different things. Fear that something may happen to me, yet i know God is there so why do i, do this to myself.

For example my friend's house got struck by lightening, so every time it thunderstorm comes i have a great fear within me that it will happen to us.

I used to have terrible OCD, but now not so bad.I have to check many things because i have that fear inside of me that something may happen. And when i do i feel guilty because it like saying to God i don't trust you.

Im also confused with this verse:

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Does this verse mean i don't love God, because i do. Then i have that anxiety that God doesn't love me or has left me.

Need advice please.

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
N
Hi all

Ever since I was little i have always had some kind of fear and anxiety like different things. Fear that something may happen to me, yet i know God is there so why do i, do this to myself.

For example my friend's house got struck by lightening, so every time it thunderstorm comes i have a great fear within me that it will happen to us.

I used to have terrible OCD, but now not so bad.I have to check many things because i have that fear inside of me that something may happen. And when i do i feel guilty because it like saying to God i don't trust you.

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Does this verse mean i don't love God, because i do. Then i have that anxiety that God doesn't love me or has left me.

Need advice please.
He first loved us and His love is perfect, ours is growing. As we mature in Christ so does our assurance and trust in Him. You could start right there, when the storm approaches just trust that He will take you through. He is very faithful. You may still get nervous, tell Him you are nervous. I think in time you will feel His peace in a storm. Hey I get anxious when big storms come our way, I'm on the New England coast, there is good reason to get nervous with some of these storms. So far while we have had some property damage or power outages, nothing has been outside our means and we have lived in this house for 40 years coming up in Jan.. Anxiety is normal if it is not a consuming every day anxiety. I like to give the annalogy anxiety for an unknown cause is one thing but if you step onto the rail road tracks and suddenly realize a train is bearing down on you , the you danged well ought be anxious. And it should leave when you made it and the train passed by not harming you. But you can find His peace, just the fact you no longer suffer from chronic ocd may be proof enough. Trust Him Love Him Obey His commands.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi all

We have fear and anxiety when we were not christians too... the old flesh be weak.
Now you probably read about Peter walking on walking to meet Jesus on the sea... when Peter's focus shifted to the winds and the waves, Peter had fear/anxiety and he started to sink but the Lord saved him from drowning...Jesus say: You of little why did doubt?

You not alone in this, the majority of people fear the unknown...people fear hurricanes and tornadoes, when I was younger I greatly feared them and had much anxiety about them...we lived in a mobile home and in a place where such storms we frequent.
I remember mom praying and asking the Lord to protect us and to calm our fears when we were very young children, as I got older I'd pray similar prayers and read the Bible during such storms.

Years ago...Where I use to live was struck by Hurricane Hugo and I took in 5
people who lost power for a couple of days...mind you, at the time I was living in a mobile home and Hugo cut a wide path across our area and the upper half of the mobile home park was without power but we were on a different grid and didn't lose power at all.
Those 5 people were fearful and stressed about Hugo, it was a violent storm and they be talking about what the storm be doing and the damages...so I started telling them all about the tornadoes and hurricanes I'd been through as a child and how mom prayed and read to us from the Bible and that through all those tornadoes and hurricanes our mobile home never was damaged.
I can even add this, Hugo didn't cause any damage to the mobile home that I was living in then either but others did suffer damage.
At the time I was financially strapped and was making every penny count.

One of the people most affected by Hurricane Hugo became a patient of mine as
I was then a caregiver, Hugo had caused her house to fall in on her and she was
left without much use of her legs and at the time she was elderly and family,friends and neighbors helped build her a new little rancher to live in.
I asked her, Nellie about what she experienced and she told me all about what
happened, I asked if she was afraid that she wouldn't make it out alive and she
said no. I asked what did you do while you waited to be rescued from the rubble
and she said she prayed to God. Rescuers came and got her out and she
was taken to the hospital and doctors worked on her but she'd only regain a little
use of her legs and would have to go about either in a wheelchair or with a caregiver assisting her with a four-legged walker. I asked was she mad about
not being able to walk and be able to go places without help? Nellie said, well
I couldn't ever drive a car so I always had to have people to take me places.
It's not much different now except I get to meet all the nice caregivers that
my family has hired to come do for me.
Nellie, I said, are you a christian? why yes I am and have been one for a long time...at the time she was like 90 years old, when I first met her about two
or three months after Hugo(1989).
Hurricane Fran/or "Paul Bunyan" would pound my state in 1996 but we were
left without damages.
Hurricane Floyd in 1999 would try to drown my state but we were not flooded but others around us were...yeah, I was yet living in a mobile home then too.
I was vacationing in Florida when Hurricane Jeanne hit(2004), I watched it from the balcony of my hotel the day it came in and did a lot of damage around Orlando, Florida...the hotel served as a shelter to many people that were without power
and offered meals to them as well.

Need advice please.

It be about fear of God punishing a believer on Judgement Day...a believer be in Christ and He(Christ) imparts to us His Righteousness...for those in Christ, there be no condemnation....Romans 8:1...John 3:17, Romans 8:38-39 and also 1 Thessalonians 5:9-11... "For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with Him.
Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing."

You have fears, the majority of people do as well...the thing is not letting that
fear morph into something that "bullies" us and has us living defeated lives.
Now, God has shielded/protected me from tornadoes, hurricanes, gunshots,
bad drivers... now I was in a bad wreck and suffered damage to my neck and
spine, I also worked several decades as a caregiver which added more injuries
to my neck and spine and I'm unable to work due to those injuries nor can I
get disability. My husband be able to work and we live on his income and his
mill pension.
Now the Lord provides... at random times we are gifted with money, food and
material items that we need...often this is done by people that we don't actually
know.
Learning to trust God in all circumstances can be something that for some people
comes in time and can take more than a few weeks.
God could of restored my back and health to normal, instead He taught me to
trust Him to provide in each circumstance. I also learned that I could be of help
to others by showing hospitality, giving of my time, offering a listening ear etc.
I also know the importance of having mature godly friends and supporters that
can come along side me, I know the importance of prayer and honoring God,
finding out what community resources are available to me and applying for/
and using those sources when it's needed.
The importance of reading and studying God's Word, meditating on it, believing
and applying it in my life each day.
You see, maturing in faith is a process...like Peter in the Bible, he saw Jesus
walking on the water, Peter wanted to do that and asked the Lord to bid him
to come out to him on the sea/water, the Lord bid Peter to come and for a
bit Peter walked on water....however, the winds blew and the waves picked
up and Peter feared and doubt creeped in... this happened even though Jesus
be right there on the sea with Peter! Peter started to sink and called out for
Jesus to save him and the Lord did just that.
The Lord said: Oh ye of little faith, why did you doubt?
Peter took his eyes off Jesus and looked at the gusting winds and the waves...
he got into the natural instead of remaining in the supernatural realm with Jesus.
...Peter would get there in time, where he wouldn't fear/lose heart, he'd stand
firm, in power/strength of the Lord and speak and be bold.... read chapter 4 of Acts.
The Lord didn't say this shows you don't love me, nor did the Lord abandon
Peter on the sea to drown...the Lord helped Peter back into the boat...more
lessons would follow, Peter in time would grow up spiritually.

Maturity in the faith takes time...1 Peter 2:1-2.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This verse actually means that God loves us deeply, and when we we see that we no longer have fear of Him. It is suggesting that the person who is afraid (of God) has not yet realised God loves them.

There are many Christians who experience fears, but over time, as we learn God loves us, and wants to protect us from anxiety, we get free. Just stick with it, don't get worried if you get fearful, just know God loves you.

I used to have a lot of fears and nervous behaviours, I now know in my case it was the devil putting them on me, I was saved, I was a Christian, yet the devil had learned to keep me bound in fear. As I grew to know God, I knew all of us, you included in this, have power over Satan. Every time now that I get afraid, I claim God's protective power over my life, and guess what the devil has no power, to put nervousness on me. This power does not come by how much faith I have or how sinless I am it is God's promise to me as a believer. In Christ we have been called to liberty, but we are not to use that liberty as an excuse to sin.

The bible says when Christ died He became the curse for us that we may live in the blessing of Abraham. The blessing of Abraham are all the promises given to Israel. Promises of blessing etc. Some times we fail to walk in that blessing, but it is available to us.

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi all

Need advice please.

Princess, I had the same issue all my life. I began to study what God's Word said about fear. I began praying for understanding.

The Lord mercifully made me understand and see what was right in front of me. He taught me how to defeat fear.

Fear is not an emotion. Fear is a spirit.
2 Timothy 1:7 New Living Translation (NLT)
7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

There is a simple formula that makes fear flee.

James 4:7
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

I began noticing when I had fear or anxiety - at first, days would go by before I realized I had been having anxiety. Then I began to notice it more often. EVERY TIME I became aware of fear's presence, I forced my mind toward God. I looked to Him and resisted the fear - just like ignoring someone; a person. And it worked. My anxiety would settle down, and I became more clear-headed. Sometimes I had to do this several times a day.

Eventually, I learned to recognize fear's presence almost instantly. I now have the habit of resisting fear and looking toward God. I know fear now. He is a whispering... tormenting... little demon spirit. I never allow fear a voice in any decision I make. I seek God's peace for my decisions.

Fear is a spirit sent to torment. Recognize this and you can and will defeat it!

John 10:10
10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fear is linked to control the greater the fear the greater need to control ones environment. You might seek therapy some great videos on OCD on youtube. One doctor uses tapping on bridge of the nose I guess takes mind off of it. When I have something I want to get rid up I imagine it crumple it up like a piece of paper and imagine throw it a Jesus flaming heart to dissolve it. Or I say what is that to me I will follow thee . blessings

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think its natural for us to have fear. We are very fragile and death comes easy. Now is it normal to be fearful as a christian and should we be? Probably not. We should put our trust in Christ. But it doesn't mean we don't have moments of weakness where we fear something. I mean if someone were to do a brain surgery on me and said "You got a 75% of dying on the table!", I'd probably have some fear. I'd pray of course and trust in God.

Just like anything in life, we will have times where we screw up and sin. Until we are free of these fleshy bodies, we will never be perfect.

Upvote 0