Why aren't we split up?

Would you prefer the Presbyterian group split up into denominations or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
there's a reason why I don't go here often, and it's because all of the Presbyterian churches are way too different. I was raised PCA, but there's also PCUSA at the other end. Other denominations are split into liberal and conservative wings on here, what about us? Is it possible, admins?

HeraldOfTheHolyOne

יהוה יהוה אל רחום וחנון ארך אפים ורב חסד ואמת
Dec 27, 2013
California
✟8,380.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
The PCUSA belongs in the Liberal Christian subforum as, in the case of most adherents to its rulings, it has little to do with both historic Presbyterianism and Christ's true Church. I would prefer this subforum be primarily for confessional Presbyterians (i.e. PCA, OPC, RPCNA, ARP, etc.).

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
there's a reason why I don't go here often, and it's because all of the Presbyterian churches are way too different. I was raised PCA, but there's also PCUSA at the other end. Other denominations are split into liberal and conservative wings on here, what about us? Is it possible, admins?

I'm with you on this. The PCA and PCUSA have almost nothing in common, and I'm being generous with the "almost".

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm with you on this. The PCA and PCUSA have almost nothing in common, and I'm being generous with the "almost".
Don't know about that. In the area of the US i grew up in some PCUSA congregations are as conservative as their PCA counterparts. It is the denomination that is "liberal". The Confessing Church Movement in the PCUSA started here, although the founding congregation is now EPC.

Of course the Presbytery in question and the Synod in question are arguably the most conservative in the denomination.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Don't know about that. In the area of the US i grew up in some PCUSA congregations are as conservative as their PCA counterparts. It is the denomination that is "liberal". The Confessing Church Movement in the PCUSA started here, although the founding congregation is now EPC.

Of course the Presbytery in question and the Synod in question are arguably the most conservative in the denomination.

I live in a very liberal part of the country, so I'm gauging my comment on what I've experience here.

As far as here on CF, there is also a great divide between the liberals and conservatives. It makes it difficult to participate in many threads, so maybe there would be greater participation here if we made a new home for the PCUSA, or maybe they can hang with folks more like themselves such as those from other mainline denominations.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I live in a very liberal part of the country, so I'm gauging my comment on what I've experience here.

As far as here on CF, there is also a great divide between the liberals and conservatives. It makes it difficult to participate in many threads, so maybe there would be greater participation here if we made a new home for the PCUSA, or maybe they can hang with folks more like themselves such as those from other mainline denominations.
I guess it's an experiment that's worth trying. I believe the place to go is members service center. It sounds like we have support from both liberal and conservatives. I'm still wondering if there's enough demand, but I've been seeing more non conservative Presbyterians recently, and somehow the liberal forum seems a bit too diffuse. Another option would be a generic mainline forum.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Another approach would be to remove this, and make liberal and conservative Reformed forums. Most of the conservatives from here seem to be more active in the Reformed forum, and there's no real reason to keep PCUSA, RCA, and UCC separate. The UCC forum is nearly dead. I've been responding to questions there because there are so few actual UCC people.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I guess it's an experiment that's worth trying. I believe the place to go is members service center. It sounds like we have support from both liberal and conservatives. I'm still wondering if there's enough demand, but I've been seeing more non conservative Presbyterians recently, and somehow the liberal forum seems a bit too diffuse. Another option would be a generic mainline forum.

A Reformed Con. & Lib. might work; however, I know more than a few conservative folks who are in the PCA, yet the word "Reformed" is foreign to them. I imagine you've had a smiler experience on the Liberal side.

Mainline denominations do have things in common, and that should be a large group, but conservative Presbyterians are sure to be small in number, so there might only be 1/2 dozen of us.

At the end of the day, I would argue that there is too little in common with conserve and liberal presbies for a forum like this to work; however, I would love debating my Liberal brothers, but often emotions run too high for that to be either productive or enjoyable. . .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
images

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
A Reformed Con. & Lib. might work; however, I know more than a few conservative folks who are in the PCA, yet the word "Reformed" is foreign to them. I imagine you've had a smiler experience on the Liberal side.

Mainline denominations do have things in common, and that should be a large group, but conservative Presbyterians are sure to be small in number, so there might only be 1/2 dozen of us.

At the end of the day, I would argue that there is too little in common with conserve and liberal presbies for a forum like this to work; however, I would love debating my Liberal brothers, but often emotions run too high for that to be either productive or enjoyable. . .
Both the CF rules and most of the people who participate are conservative. Almost all the participants in both Presbyterian and Reformed groups are conservative. Now and then we've had PCUSA people participate for a while, but so far I'm the only one that's stayed. I'm not sure why. It may be that PCUSA members aren't as interested in using an Internet forum to interact. It may be problems with the venue. It's hard to be sure. But having a place where the rules at least allow PCUSA folks would be an interesting experiment. (Note that the statement of faith for the Presbyterian forum technically only allows the conservative denominations. The same is true for the Reformed forum. That's why I mostly respond to questions about the PCUSA here, since this is where most people would assume they should be asked.)

I'm not sure how useful debate between liberals and conservatives is. I'm willing to talk, but basic underlying assumptions are different. It makes it hard to find enough common ground for discussion.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Now and then we've had PCUSA people participate for a while, but so far I'm the only one that's stayed.

Well, I'm glad that you have, as you are the most reasonable representative of the PCUSA that I have seen on CF.

Upvote 0