Why aren't we educated about our health?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The 'burden of proof' is on the claimant. In the Physical & Life Sciences forums, you're expected to support the claims you make.

Regarding the general health of Americans just google,

"Why are Americans so unhealthy."

"How to improve your health."

"How to improve your immune system."

"We don't get enough sleep."

"Dental health in America."

"Mental health in America."

"Infant mortality in America."

"Suicide in America."

"America's drug and alcohol problem."

Lots of info from credible sources.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,850.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why, if the evolution of the immune system is completed.

Why do you think evolution is working towards some predetermined end goal? It is not.

Best to just tell them how to improve it's function.

Having an immune system that performs TOO well can cause problems.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why do you think evolution is working towards some predetermined end goal? It is not.

Since it seems to have stopped I assume it's reached it's goal.

Having an immune system that performs TOO well can cause problems.

Actually if it's causing problems something is malfunctioning.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,850.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Since it seems to have stopped I assume it's reached it's goal.

How have you determined evolution has stopped?

Actually if it's causing problems something is malfunctioning.

And that malfunction could be that it is too active.

So tell me, what exactly did you mean by improving the function of the immune system?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How have you determined evolution has stopped?

If it hasn't wouldn't we know about it?

So tell me, what exactly did you mean by improving the function of the immune system?

Improving general health will improve the function (ing) of all systems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,850.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If it hasn't wouldn't we know about it?

Why do you think that?

Improving general health will improve the function (ing) of all systems.

Please answer the question I asked.

What changes would you expect to see in the immune system if you improved its function?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Please answer the question I asked.

What changes would you expect to see in the immune system if you improved its function?

I don't know if you can actually 'see' the immune system without a scanning electron microscope. You can however determine if it's healthy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Can I get an update on the changes.
Sure, Google can help, for example: Human evolution is still happening:

"Our DNA shows evidence for recent selection for resistance of killer diseases like Lassa fever and malaria. Selection in response to malaria is still ongoing in regions where the disease remains common.

Humans are also adapting to their environment. Mutations allowing humans to live at high altitudes have become more common in populations in Tibet, Ethiopia, and the Andes. The spread of genetic mutations in Tibet is possibly the fastest evolutionary change in humans, occurring over the last 3,000 years. This rapid surge in frequency of a mutated gene that increases blood oxygen content gives locals a survival advantage in higher altitudes, resulting in more surviving children.

Diet is another source for adaptations. Evidence from Inuit DNA shows a recent adaptation that allows them to thrive on their fat-rich diet of Arctic mammals. Studies also show that natural selection favouring a mutation allowing adults to produce lactase – the enzyme that breaks down milk sugars – is why some groups of people can digest milk after weaning. Over 80% of north-west Europeans can, but in parts of East Asia, where milk is much less commonly drunk, an inability to digest lactose is the norm. Like high altitude adaptation, selection to digest milk has evolved more than once in humans and may be the strongest kind of recent selection.

We may well be adapting to unhealthy diets too. One study of family genetic changes in the US during the 20th century found selection for reduced blood pressure and cholesterol levels, both of which can be lethally raised by modern diets.
" phys.org/news

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure, Google can help, for example: Human evolution is still happening:

"Our DNA shows evidence for recent selection for resistance of killer diseases like Lassa fever and malaria. Selection in response to malaria is still ongoing in regions where the disease remains common.

Humans are also adapting to their environment. Mutations allowing humans to live at high altitudes have become more common in populations in Tibet, Ethiopia, and the Andes. The spread of genetic mutations in Tibet is possibly the fastest evolutionary change in humans, occurring over the last 3,000 years. This rapid surge in frequency of a mutated gene that increases blood oxygen content gives locals a survival advantage in higher altitudes, resulting in more surviving children.

Diet is another source for adaptations. Evidence from Inuit DNA shows a recent adaptation that allows them to thrive on their fat-rich diet of Arctic mammals. Studies also show that natural selection favouring a mutation allowing adults to produce lactase – the enzyme that breaks down milk sugars – is why some groups of people can digest milk after weaning. Over 80% of north-west Europeans can, but in parts of East Asia, where milk is much less commonly drunk, an inability to digest lactose is the norm. Like high altitude adaptation, selection to digest milk has evolved more than once in humans and may be the strongest kind of recent selection.

We may well be adapting to unhealthy diets too. One study of family genetic changes in the US during the 20th century found selection for reduced blood pressure and cholesterol levels, both of which can be lethally raised by modern diets.
" phys.org/news

Are adaptation, and mutation, now considered evolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,850.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if you can actually 'see' the immune system without a scanning electron microscope. You can however determine if it's healthy.

Would you just answer the question? What changes in the immune system can we expect to find if we improve it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Would you just answer the question? What changes in the immune system can we expect to find if we improve it.

The only changes I can think of are the number and variety of microbes. Otherwise the basic function doesn't change, it just becomes more efficient and thus more effective.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,850.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The only changes I can think of are the number and variety of microbes. Otherwise the basic function doesn't change, it just becomes more efficient and thus more effective.

The number and viarities of microbes that... what? Do they comprise the immune system? Are they detected by the immune system?

And what does it mean for the immune system to be more efficient? Does that mean it produces more antibodies? Better antibodies? It reacts more quickly?

Why are you so vague?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The number and viarities of microbes that... what? Do they comprise the immune system? Are they detected by the immune system?

And what does it mean for the immune system to be more efficient? Does that mean it produces more antibodies? Better antibodies? It reacts more quickly?

Why are you so vague?

Google "the immune system". Lots of info.

Upvote 0