Why aren't we educated about our health?

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Our immune system is vitally important for our health. Yet Americans have terribly unhealthy immune systems. This knowledge should make it from the laboratory to the educational system and then into the general knowledge of the people shouldn't it? Thoughts?

You have people that disbelieve in evolution, and you expect them to understand the immune system, which follows an entirely evolutionary process during development and function?

lol.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You have people that disbelieve in evolution, and you expect them to understand the immune system, which follows an entirely evolutionary process during development and function?

lol.

I don't expect people to give two hoots about their immune system, or anything else for that matter...I'm jes' sayin'.

What I am saying seriously is that the information should be available in case they change their minds. At the college level a course in health should be mandatory. That way people will have actual experience to fall back on.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't expect people to give two hoots about their immune system, or anything else for that matter...I'm jes' sayin'.

What I am saying seriously is that the information should be available in case they change their minds. At the college level a course in health should be mandatory. That way people will have actual experience to fall back on.

And yet as far as I am aware (correct me if I am wrong) you are a creationist. Let me know when you have "changed your mind", or whether a college level course would change it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And yet as far as I am aware (correct me if I am wrong) you are a creationist. Let me know when you have "changed your mind", or whether a college level course would change it.

Are you saying that the current knowledge about health is sufficient; no changes needed?

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that the current knowledge about health is sufficient; no changes needed?

I'm saying it's ironic that someone with no understanding of the immune system and who actively denies the science behind it complains about other people not understanding the immune system.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm saying it's ironic that someone with no understanding of the immune system and who actively denies the science behind it complains about other people not understanding the immune system.

Perhaps you can point out the instructions in this link about strengthening the immune system (provided by Jayem for my edification, post #46).

Fundamentals of Immunology | Coursera

There's big difference between learning equine anatomy and learning how to ride a horse. I asked for the time and was told the weather. o_O

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you can point out the instructions in this link about strengthening the immune system (provided by Jayem for my edification, post #46).

Fundamentals of Immunology | Coursera

There's big difference between learning equine anatomy and learning how to ride a horse. I asked for the time and was told the weather. o_O

What?

Look, beyond general advice about being healthy in terms of exercise, not being overweight, eating decent food, sleeping well etc (all of which have impact on general well being), there's no actual way to "strengthen the immune system".

Americans have terribly unhealthy bodies, the immune system being a part of said body.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What?

Look, beyond general advice about being healthy in terms of exercise, not being overweight, eating decent food, sleeping well etc (all of which have impact on general well being), there's no actual way to "strengthen the immune system".

Americans have terribly unhealthy bodies, the immune system being a part of said body.

Of course you can't strengthen your immune system while neglecting your general health, but according to science there are specific things you need to do to ensure a healthy immune system.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Of course you can't strengthen your immune system while neglecting your general health, but according to science there are specific things you need to do to ensure a healthy immune system.

No, there aren't. Or more specifically, the specific things are the same as the general things I posted before. The only way to "strengthen" the immune system is by "strengthening" general health.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Like what? Apart from healthy lifestyle habits and being adequately immunized.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Our immune system is vitally important for our health. Yet Americans have terribly unhealthy immune systems.
Citation?

Everywhere in the world people's immune systems can be compromised by ill-health or poor nutrition, but what evidence is there that 'Americans have terribly unhealthy immune systems'?

It seems to me that if that was true, Americans would be suffering and dying disproportionally from infectious diseases; the figures from the CDC for infectious disease incidence since the 1950s shows a considerable reduction overall (except, notably, chlamydia). Were they really worse than terrible in the 1950s?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Comparison of the burden of disease in the US with Europe (central & western) and the world average, shows the US roughly on a par with central Europe, a fair bit higher than western Europe (and Canada, Israel, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Kuwait, the Maldives, Australia), but considerably better than the world average:
upload_2020-3-30_14-26-5.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, there aren't. Or more specifically, the specific things are the same as the general things I posted before. The only way to "strengthen" the immune system is by "strengthening" general health.

Of course. But it can be fine tuned to ensure peak immune system health.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Citation?

Everywhere in the world people's immune systems can be compromised by ill-health or poor nutrition, but what evidence is there that 'Americans have terribly unhealthy immune systems'?

It seems to me that if that was true, Americans would be suffering and dying disproportionally from infectious diseases; the figures from the CDC for infectious disease incidence since the 1950s shows a considerable reduction overall (except, notably, chlamydia). Were they really worse than terrible in the 1950s?

Digestive health and immune system health are closely related. Americans have terrible digestive health.

Digestive Diseases Statistics for the United States | NIDDK

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Comparison of the burden of disease in the US with Europe (central & western) and the world average, shows the US roughly on a par with central Europe, a fair bit higher than western Europe (and Canada, Israel, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Kuwait, the Maldives, Australia), but considerably better than the world average:
View attachment 273909

I wonder how much accessibility to health care factors in to that.

Upvote 0