Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
3) Jesus' teaching not to call anyone "father", "master" or "rabbi" (Matthew 23:8-10). This would entail not to also use any synonyms/contractions of these words when addressing people (like dad, Mr. or Mrs., teacher, sir, papa, etc.). It would also imply against titles like Reverend, Most Holy Father, Your Grace, etc. ... .

Mum, Dad, teacher - fair enough. What Jesus is challenging us about is to not place people, who fancy their status, in the place of God. He told the disciples not to lord it. Monseigneur = "Our Lord" in French. If the guy is a canon, just put canon on the envelope or when talking about him to somebody. Any type of pope that isn't holy, should not be referred to so.

Junior clergy, if they're not bumptious, I personally don't much mind calling "father" or "reverend" in honour of the material they've studied (and they generally want to be on first name terms anyway).

I'm alarmed by reports of senior clergy calling junior clergy their "sons" as if we aren't all supposed to be family anyway. Creeping, and sucking up, aren't what it should be about.

It is in the last year or so "officially blasphemy", to criticise the administration of a certain enclave. Of course there is parting of company. Those who defined "communion" are the ones who stretched it beyond snapping, not us.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

4) Also, the teaching to go into "all the world" telling people to obey Jesus (Mark 16:15, Matthew 28:19-20). This would imply that you would need to be telling people to obey the aforementioned teachings of Jesus, and therefore you would need to be practising them yourself, otherwise you would be a hypocrite.

This is very interesting! As an infant me & God had a thing going. But, after that, wave after wave of people came to me NOT teaching me all that Christ, Holy Spirit, Apostles and Scriptures have taught.

Indeed I've had to borrow a leaf from the agnostics (as to baggage) myself.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's a huge generalisation. And keep in mind that around 95% of people who claim to be Christians are not.
I've thought it to be a high percentage but,
hopefully not that high.

I hate to say this but the answer to the OP is that such Christians say you only have to believe. Therefore obedience is not important to them.
I get occasional calls from a couple of these types who are now in prison.

Do right or get locked up tight.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟96,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Questioning38622

Great questions. I hope you'll take time to consider my response (a Christian for about 15 years and certainly not wearing rose-tinted glasses towards Christianity today and the Church!)

As a former Christian (now atheist), I have read the four gospels plenty of times. What I want Christians on this site to answer is why aren't they doing the explicit teachings of Jesus as contained in the gospels? Thanks, and I don't mean this to insult people: I'd just like to get a respectful discussion going on the teachings of Jesus and why Christians aren't putting them into practice.

May I ask what made you an atheist from being a former Christian?

But you are correct. Many Christians today do not obey the teachings of the Messiah, whilst claiming that He is their Lord. However, don't forget (if you were ever taught), these things were prophesied to happen. There will be a divide in the body of believers. Those who obey His words in spirit and truth, and those who only give Him lip service but act hypocritically.

1) To start off in the Sermon on the Mount, the teaching of Jesus that you cannot work for both God and money

True, you cannot serve both. Anyone who puts money, career, a house, a car, a holiday or possession before Yahweh (that is, it is the concern and love of their heart before God) is not worthy of Him.

When we truly fear and know Yahweh, nothing else naturally fills our heart other than Him. Success, money and possessions even seem abhorrent to us. However, some professing Christians (specifically TV preachers) can preach the opposite - not knowing the Scriptures.

2) Then there is the teaching to forsake all your possessions

See above comment :)

3) Jesus' teaching not to call anyone "father", "master" or "rabbi"

True. We shouldn't call anyone that as it implies that they are above us or an intermediary between us and Yahweh.

Now, that's not to say we cannot have teachers in the body. But as long as we understand that this is THEIR gift. But everyone is given a gift (when baptised with the Holy Spirit) that is just as needed as teaching. For example - a great teacher can be a poor counsellor and not have the gift of healing etc.

4) Also, the teaching to go into "all the world" telling people to obey Jesus

I'm not sure what your question is here. Please clarify unless it has been answered by someone else sufficiently.

I hope this helps. Keep asking questions - always. Don't accept what the mainstream church and Christianity say if it contradicts the Word. In these days there is much darkness and the "leaven" has worked it's way through a lot of the Church today. Always go by the Word, and don't let anyone try to convince you "Oh, that part doesn't apply today" or "Yes, but that was only until Paul said" - such things are lies and nonsense.

Anyway, again, keep on searching as the truth will find you as you seek it.

Love & Shalom

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As a former Christian (now atheist), I have read the four gospels plenty of times. What I want Christians on this site to answer is why aren't they doing the explicit teachings of Jesus as contained in the gospels? Thanks, and I don't mean this to insult people: I'd just like to get a respectful discussion going on the teachings of Jesus and why Christians aren't putting them into practice.

EDIT #1 (see also Post #10): Because people are asking for clarification on what teachings of Jesus I am asserting that Christians are not obeying (fair enough!), I will now clarify with this post and also put an edit on my original post. These are merely four ones I feel are not being obeyed.

1) To start off in the Sermon on the Mount, the teaching of Jesus that you cannot work for both God and money (Matthew 6:24; also in Luke 16:13), and the subsequent teaching to take "no thought" for food and clothing, but to "seek first" God's kingdom, in which by doing so God will "add unto you" these necessities (Matthew 6:25-33; also in Luke 12). It should be noted that Jesus said "all the world" worries about getting these things (Luke 12:30), but that his followers would be different because they wouldn't worry about these things, but trust God for them. These teachings should be considered in conjunction with the Mark of the Beast prophecy (that sometime in the future, people won't be able to buy or sell without a mark in their right hand or forehead, but getting this mark will cause you to get God's wrath).

2) Then there is the teaching to forsake all your possessions, found in Matthew 19:16-22; Luke 11:41, 12:33 and 14:33. It should be noted that the early Christians practised this (see Acts 2 and Acts 4). They sold their belongings and gave the money to the apostles, although it should be noted that Jesus said to give it to the poor after you have sold your possessions.

3) Jesus' teaching not to call anyone "father", "master" or "rabbi" (Matthew 23:8-10). This would entail not to also use any synonyms/contractions of these words when addressing people (like dad, Mr. or Mrs., teacher, sir, papa, etc.). It would also imply against titles like Reverend, Most Holy Father, Your Grace, etc.

4) Also, the teaching to go into "all the world" telling people to obey Jesus (Mark 16:15, Matthew 28:19-20). This would imply that you would need to be telling people to obey the aforementioned teachings of Jesus, and therefore you would need to be practising them yourself, otherwise you would be a hypocrite.

some do .... some don't ... some struggle much .... some don't

We are all individuals and God deals with each person individually.

Since you have walked away from the Lord .... this probably no longer means anything to you .... but I digress ...

Romans 2:1
You therefore have no excuse, you who pass judgment on another. For on whatever grounds you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

Praying some day you will return to the Lord. Amen

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

EDIT #1 (see also Post #10): Because people are asking for clarification on what teachings of Jesus I am asserting that Christians are not obeying (fair enough!), I will now clarify with this post and also put an edit on my original post. These are merely four ones I feel are not being obeyed.

1) To start off in the Sermon on the Mount, the teaching of Jesus that you cannot work for both God and money (Matthew 6:24; also in Luke 16:13), and the subsequent teaching to take "no thought" for food and clothing, but to "seek first" God's kingdom, in which by doing so God will "add unto you" these necessities (Matthew 6:25-33; also in Luke 12). It should be noted that Jesus said "all the world" worries about getting these things (Luke 12:30), but that his followers would be different because they wouldn't worry about these things, but trust God for them. These teachings should be considered in conjunction with the Mark of the Beast prophecy (that sometime in the future, people won't be able to buy or sell without a mark in their right hand or forehead, but getting this mark will cause you to get God's wrath).

2) Then there is the teaching to forsake all your possessions, found in Matthew 19:16-22; Luke 11:41, 12:33 and 14:33. It should be noted that the early Christians practised this (see Acts 2 and Acts 4). They sold their belongings and gave the money to the apostles, although it should be noted that Jesus said to give it to the poor after you have sold your possessions.

3) Jesus' teaching not to call anyone "father", "master" or "rabbi" (Matthew 23:8-10). This would entail not to also use any synonyms/contractions of these words when addressing people (like dad, Mr. or Mrs., teacher, sir, papa, etc.). It would also imply against titles like Reverend, Most Holy Father, Your Grace, etc.

I can see why you are an atheist. I would be one too if those were the requirements to be a Christian.
The first and foremost requirement is that one must be born again ( and by reading your take on Scripture, I hardly think you were born again and therefore never had the new nature.
In any case, the principles of the Gospel is that we can't live up to a sinless standard of righteousness which is why the needed imputed perfect righteousness of Christ available as a free gift through His death and resurrection.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Welcome! You have pointed out three things in which a Christian should not embrace as a Spirit filled disciple of Christ; money, possessions and power. Interestingly, all three fall under one category, idolatry. Though when we use the word "idolatry" what brings to one's mind is the worship of other gods, it really has to do with much more than that, as seen in your verses.
No Spirit filled Christian wants to fall into an idolatrous relationship that being said, there are many who say they are Christians but are not. Each person individually is accountable for their own actions. If idolatry creeps into those whose conscience has been seared, they will not recognize their condition but those who "walk in the Holy Spirit" will make a correction in order to stay on the path of righteousness.
All this being said, all three, money,possessions and power can be used for good and for the good of spreading the "Good News"which brings me to your fourth point ,hypocrisy. The gift of prosperity comes with responsibility and that comes with a righteous heart. And that my friend can only be achieved through Him.
Be blessed

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because people are asking for clarification on what teachings of Jesus I am asserting that Christians are not obeying (fair enough!), I will now clarify with this post and also put an edit on my original post. These are merely four ones I feel are not being obeyed.

Thank you so much for the clarification.

I think a tightening up of the OP would be all people and not just Christians. For you did not address what makes one a Christian.

I believe your inquiry can be summarized by one verse Jesus spoke after He taught most of what you listed.

“Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect (Matthew 5:48)

The New Testament teaches only Jesus Christ lived a Perfect and Holy life here on Earth.

In sum, the entry into the Kingdom of God is perfection and that perfection is measured by the Perfection of our Heavenly Father.

So if none of us mere mortals even come close to the Perfection of the Father and Jesus Christ was the only One Who did lead a life of Perfection and Holiness what do we conclude?

Upvote 0

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Short answer, fear. Professing Christians don't apply these teachings because they don't really believe Jesus when he says that God will take care of them. It is precisely the reasoning Jesus gave in the teaching itself; their worry about food and clothing demonstrates that they do not have faith. Their fear about what they will eat, drink, and how they'll be clothed causes them to reason that Jesus didn't really mean what he said, that there must be some other explanation for it, and explanation which comes right back around to them continuing to work for money as opposed to God.

The apostle Paul noted that the love of money is the root of all evil. As many professing Christians will be quick to point out, it's not money which is the problem, but rather the love of the money. There's nary a Christian in the world who would confess to loving money and yet it's clear to see that a whole lot of money loving is happening.

They are right, though, that it's not really the money that is the problem. Paul referred to money because that is the most common means of expressing our greed and materialism. The spirit behind the comment is that greed is the root of all evil, and we can see that greed is inherent in the ideal of working for money; you only get the money if you perform a service of some kind. I will only help you if you pay me for that help. If you don't pay, you don't get the help. That ideal is entirely contrary to the values of the kingdom of Heaven, but people tend not to see it that way because they don't really want to share with one another. They're afraid that any attempt they make to share with others will be wasted because others will not share with them in return. They're afraid they'll be taken advantage of, that they'll be spitefully used and abused. These really are possibilities, but so what? You don't stop acting on the values of the kingdom of Heaven just because you'll suffer some abuse and hardship along the way. It is precisely because we're willing to go through those hardships which demonstrates that we have something of value to offer.

This is another of those teachings which gets ignored mostly because of fear. People are afraid to stop using the titles because they know the titles are not only expected, but demanded, by others around them. Your boss expects the special title. Your parents expect the special title. Professionals expect the professional title. If you don't give it to them, they may look down on you. They may think you don't respect them. They may think you're not a good person.

But so what? We know that true respect doesn't come from a title, because you can see it in people who use the special titles for those they do not respect and examples where people may not use the titles and yet still demonstrate, through their behavior, respect. When people argue that Jesus didn't really mean what he said regarding these special titles on the basis that they demonstrate respect, when people teach that respect can be found in titles of flattery, you know they are not thinking carefully and clearly about why they use the special titles in the first place.

They don't obey this teaching (usually) because they're too busy working for money. They've developed a contingency plan for this, though, where they pay others to go do the preaching for them. Most churches at least claim to have some kind of outreach program where the congregation gives their tithes and then a verrrrry small proportion of those tithes is used to send a couple people out into the world. Those representatives then act as outreach surrogates for the entire church. Obviously that is not what Jesus told his followers to do, but they justify it on the basis that the missionary need the money they make from their service to mammon, because the missionaries could not do what they do without that support. It's a pretty convenient justification, but it's entirely contrary to what Jesus taught.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A rich young man asked the Lord what he needed to do to be saved. The Lord told him ( see: Matthew 19:16-26. Within this teaching note that the young man said he had “kept” the commandments. The Lord took him on his word & said if he wants to be perfect then to sell all & follow. By this standard, we all fail but with God all is possible.

This does not change our basic commitment to what the Lord says in Matthew 19:16-19 (also Matthew 7:1-12, Matthew 22:36-40, Matthew 6:1-18 etc.). St. Paul affirms the basics in Romans 13:8-10. Much of these basics are a continuation of the Old covenant ( Deuteronomy 5, Deuteronomy 6, Leviticus 19, Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 etc.). Works are our commitment to faith in which we are saved by grace which St. Paul sums up in Ephesians 2:8-10.

As far as calling no man father ( Matthew 23:9). I cannot fully explain but must realize nothing created is God The Father. In lesser terms the Lord permits the word “father” ( Matthew 19:19, 1 Corinthians 4:14-16, Abraham is called “father” in the parable of Lazarus in Luke 16:19-31, etc.).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I believe Paul, Aquila, and Priscilla followed this teaching, yet they made their own living (Acts 18:1-5). Jesus' teaching in Matthew 6:19-34 is about attitude primarily, where your mind and heart are at. If you are anxious, or if you are serving Money, that will yield bad fruit in your life. This doesn't mean that earning an honest living is evidence of being anxious, or of serving Money.

You have to have something in order to give something. If I cannot build wealth, I cannot share it when a need to do so comes along. If I am not dependent on the church to survive, I can give to the church so they can help those who are dependent on it to survive. As has been taught in my church, "Live simply, so others can simply live." How I do that is my business (Matthew 6:1-4).

The rebuke here is against the pride that comes with titles, which the Pharisees were all too happy to revel in. It is not a rebuke to those who call their parents "father" and "mother", nor is it against titles like "Mr." or "Mrs." What it is against is elevating religious leaders beyond their due, either by the leaders themselves or by the people that follow them. What is most important to keep in mind is who is over the leaders. A leader can either soberly and humbly perform his duties to God, or revel in his position and use titles to puff himself up and think of how he is better than the people he is supposed to be leading. Those who do the latter will give an accounting to God. Exalted treatment does not help them - for instance, the way popes are traditionally treated. As a Protestant, I will not defend that.

I tell people to obey Jesus here. It's available worldwide. I think I'm doing what I can.

Upvote 0

Jesse Johnson

Mar 2, 2020
Northeast
✟7,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I hope you'll take time to consider my response (a Christian for about 15 years and certainly not wearing rose-tinted glasses towards Christianity today and the Church!)
15 whole years? Wow!!! You must have the wisdom of a Solomon by now.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Lord took him on his word & said if he wants to be perfect then to sell all & follow. By this standard, we all fail but with God all is possible.

He also said as much to a group of pharisees (Luke 11:41), to an innumerable multitude of people (Luke 12:33), and another great multitude of people Luke 14:33). We also see the example of the apostles in Matthew 4:20 , Matthew 4:22 , Luke 5:11 , and Luke 5:28.

It's become a popular doctrine that Jesus only said this kind of stuff to that one rich, young ruler because he had a special problem in this area, but immediately after that interaction (and in response to it) Peter says, "Hey, we've forsaken all to follow you". The implication seems to be that Peter wanted to know what would happen to them as a result as Jesus follows this up with an explanation about how they'll be rewarded not only in this life but also in the life to come.

In Acts 2:44-45 and Acts 4:34-35 we see thousands of new disciples following the example of the apostles (who were teaching them as Jesus instructed them to do; Matthew 28:20).

This fits with Jesus' comments from Matthew 6:19-34 where he tells us not to store up treasures here on earth, that we cannot work for God and money at the same time without cheating on one or the other, and that our new job is to seek God's kingdom first.

Paul corroborates this in 1 Corinthians 7:21-23 and 1 Corinthians 9:7-11. Also, this theme is corroborated in prophecy, particularly Revelation 13:16-17 where the beast uses a "mark" in the hand to control buying and selling; if you do not take the mark, you cannot buy or sell.

As far as calling no man father ( Matthew 23:9). I cannot fully explain

Well, I think the explanation is there in the teaching; he says we should not be exalting one another. We tend to refer to exaltation as respect in this context, but, in this context, they mean the same thing.

It's not a matter of deciding that you're except because you believe you can use the special titles in a good way. Jesus says don't do it. It's just a matter of whether or not we'll obey; it really is that simple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I want Christians on this site to answer is why aren't they doing the explicit teachings of Jesus as contained in the gospels

Do you follow this teaching,

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

If not, why blame others?

A teaching is different from a law in that, a teaching is a gradual build up, from the most important gradually to other parts. A law is enforced such that you shouldn't and can't break it for twice as you are pretty much dead by breaking it once.

The most important is to believe in God and Jesus Christ, then by faith you will go along a path till your death to be holy. It is a continuous effort.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1) To start off in the Sermon on the Mount, the teaching of Jesus that you cannot work for both God and money (Matthew 6:24; also in Luke 16:13), and the subsequent teaching to take "no thought" for food and clothing, but to "seek first" God's kingdom, in which by doing so God will "add unto you" these necessities (Matthew 6:25-33; also in Luke 12).
The message clearly seems to be saying to get one's priorities in proper order, not to attempt to live without any possessions as though this were more moral.
2)It should be noted that the early Christians practised this (see Acts 2 and Acts 4). They sold their belongings and gave the money to the apostles,...
It is what those Christians did, and we all can respect it, but it is not an instruction about what all disciples must do.

Because other persons in Scripture are referred to by the term ("Father" Abraham, for example, in Romans 4:12), this admonition definitely cannot be taken literally (although there are plenty of people who think that that is its meaning).

Okay. Hypocrisy isn't good. It's also probably going to be counter-productive, I agree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I know the Lord calls us to take up the Cross & follow ( Matthew 16:24-27 etc.). These are humbling statements from the Lord as are statements in Luke 14:25-33 which speaks of “hate his father & mother” ( Luke 14:26, NKJV).

I cannot fulfill these virtues the Lord illustrates nor can I tell another person to. We can take these into account in trying to live by His commandments ( Matthew 6:1-18, Matthew 7:1-12, Matthew 22:36-40 etc.). Note the Lord upheld honoring one’s parents in Matthew 19:19 ( for ex.).

We put ourselves at the mercy of the Lord & consider our conduct in light of how we will be judged ( Matthew 25:31-46, John 5:22-30 etc.).

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As an aside to these questions, do a web search of the word: Christianist.

Apparently, there are Christians advocating for violence if necessary, to implement control of a political party and eventual control of the government! I believe all this would disqualify someone from being considered Christian.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single