Victoria
✟8,668.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
As a former Christian (now atheist), I have read the four gospels plenty of times. What I want Christians on this site to answer is why aren't they doing the explicit teachings of Jesus as contained in the gospels? Thanks, and I don't mean this to insult people: I'd just like to get a respectful discussion going on the teachings of Jesus and why Christians aren't putting them into practice.

EDIT #1 (see also Post #10): Because people are asking for clarification on what teachings of Jesus I am asserting that Christians are not obeying (fair enough!), I will now clarify with this post and also put an edit on my original post. These are merely four ones I feel are not being obeyed.

1) To start off in the Sermon on the Mount, the teaching of Jesus that you cannot work for both God and money (Matthew 6:24; also in Luke 16:13), and the subsequent teaching to take "no thought" for food and clothing, but to "seek first" God's kingdom, in which by doing so God will "add unto you" these necessities (Matthew 6:25-33; also in Luke 12). It should be noted that Jesus said "all the world" worries about getting these things (Luke 12:30), but that his followers would be different because they wouldn't worry about these things, but trust God for them. These teachings should be considered in conjunction with the Mark of the Beast prophecy (that sometime in the future, people won't be able to buy or sell without a mark in their right hand or forehead, but getting this mark will cause you to get God's wrath).

2) Then there is the teaching to forsake all your possessions, found in Matthew 19:16-22; Luke 11:41, 12:33 and 14:33. It should be noted that the early Christians practised this (see Acts 2 and Acts 4). They sold their belongings and gave the money to the apostles, although it should be noted that Jesus said to give it to the poor after you have sold your possessions.

3) Jesus' teaching not to call anyone "father", "master" or "rabbi" (Matthew 23:8-10). This would entail not to also use any synonyms/contractions of these words when addressing people (like dad, Mr. or Mrs., teacher, sir, papa, etc.). It would also imply against titles like Reverend, Most Holy Father, Your Grace, etc.

4) Also, the teaching to go into "all the world" telling people to obey Jesus (Mark 16:15, Matthew 28:19-20). This would imply that you would need to be telling people to obey the aforementioned teachings of Jesus, and therefore you would need to be practising them yourself, otherwise you would be a hypocrite.

Last edited:

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As a former Christian (now atheist), I have read the four gospels plenty of times. What I want Christians on this site to answer is why aren't they doing the explicit teachings of Jesus as contained in the gospels? Thanks, and I don't mean this to insult people: I'd just like to get a respectful discussion going on the teachings of Jesus and why Christians aren't putting them into practice.

Are we supposed to guess at what things you think Christians aren't doing?

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good question. My personal opinion is that there are some who claim to be Christian but are not, therefore the fruit (lack of) in their lives reflects that. Others are Christians but instead disobey as you have noted. They do not believe or realize that disobedience results in spiritual death (Romans 8:13). They believe John 3:16 but they fail to acknowledge Hebrews 5:9 as being requisite for eternal life.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
That's a huge generalisation. And keep in mind that around 95% of people who claim to be Christians are not.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟782,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I hate to say this but the answer to the OP is that such Christians say you only have to believe. Therefore obedience is not important to them.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,342.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean precisely? As in we fail to live up tot he words of Jesus and fail morally? Or we fail in some other directive or belief Jesus expects of us?

To the former, even Jesus himself knew his followers would fail. He gave us in the Lord's prayer, forgive us our sins as we forgive others. To the latter, that's a much larger debate than could possibly be had here given the disagreement even within Christendom as to who more faithfully follows Christ.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I turn the other cheek to your assertion will you ever get an answer?

Upvote 0

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
What made you go from Christian to atheist? I can’t possibly answer your question because it’s asking me to give a general reply, to lump all Christians into one group, that’s impossible

Reactions: ldonjohn
Upvote 0

Questioning38622

Apr 10, 2020
Victoria
✟8,668.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Because people are asking for clarification on what teachings of Jesus I am asserting that Christians are not obeying (fair enough!), I will now clarify with this post and also put an edit on my original post. These are merely four ones I feel are not being obeyed.

1) To start off in the Sermon on the Mount, the teaching of Jesus that you cannot work for both God and money (Matthew 6:24; also in Luke 16:13), and the subsequent teaching to take "no thought" for food and clothing, but to "seek first" God's kingdom, in which by doing so God will "add unto you" these necessities (Matthew 6:25-33; also in Luke 12). It should be noted that Jesus said "all the world" worries about getting these things (Luke 12:30), but that his followers would be different because they wouldn't worry about these things, but trust God for them. These teachings should be considered in conjunction with the Mark of the Beast prophecy (that sometime in the future, people won't be able to buy or sell without a mark in their right hand or forehead, but getting this mark will cause you to get God's wrath).

2) Then there is the teaching to forsake all your possessions, found in Matthew 19:16-22; Luke 11:41, 12:33 and 14:33. It should be noted that the early Christians practised this (see Acts 2 and Acts 4). They sold their belongings and gave the money to the apostles, although it should be noted that Jesus said to give it to the poor after you have sold your possessions.

3) Jesus' teaching not to call anyone "father", "master" or "rabbi" (Matthew 23:8-10). This would entail not to also use any synonyms/contractions of these words when addressing people (like dad, Mr. or Mrs., teacher, sir, papa, etc.). It would also imply against titles like Reverend, Most Holy Father, Your Grace, etc.

4) Also, the teaching to go into "all the world" telling people to obey Jesus (Mark 16:15, Matthew 28:19-20). This would imply that you would need to be telling people to obey the aforementioned teachings of Jesus, and therefore you would need to be practising them yourself, otherwise you would be a hypocrite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
1) To start off in the Sermon on the Mount, the teaching of Jesus that you cannot work for both God and money (Matthew 6:24

That's a mistranslation.

Here is a literal one:

(CLV) Mt 6:24
"Now not one can be slaving for two lords, for either he will be hating the one and loving the other, or will be upholding one and despising the other. You can not be slaving for God and mammon.

What this means is that you don't put money over your relationship.

Yahshua's disciples used money.

Yahshua used money from the mouth of a fish.

Yahshua told his disciples to buy swords.

They bought oil for him.

This is a misunderstanding.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) Is saying that we are not to love money more than God, so eyes need to be on God not making a huge amount of wealth. It isn't saying we can't earn money as God also commands us to look after our families. We should also not worry about money but have faith that God will provide.

2) Was directed to the rich young ruler who had problem number 1, he had placed his wealth above God and it was an issue. God is not calling Christians to be homeless but we should give generously.

3) Is not in regards to calling your own father, dad or papa but as a title to a priest.

4) Going into all the world is the spreading of the Gospel. The Gospel means 'good news' which is that Christ died for our sins and rose again.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
2) Was directed to the rich young ruler who had problem number 1, he had placed his wealth above God and it was an issue. God is not calling Christians to be homeless but we should give generously.

I was going to address each of these points; but I got sidetracked in another thread, and forgot, until your post prompted me.

You are correct. Each of us have our weaknesses. What's a weakness for one, might not be a weakness for another. This man seemed to be flawless; except that he put his wealth between him and the father.

It could be any one thing for anyone.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
4) and 3) good.

2) those whom the money was gathered by were at that time trusted to get it distributed well. On other occasions in the same period, it would be done by delegates, discerned by those around them as reliable enough.

Entertainingly and hilariously, I know people who have claimed to be apostles nowadays whose money distributing proved after investigation by third parties to be shall we say colourful. Thank God for third parties.

As the essence of apostling is church founding, as co-apostlers within congregations all church members must alertly discern how far we are condoning a substitute for truthful spirit.

1) You are right to take an eschatological view as does the entire OT & NT because we won't know till late in the day, how our smug assumptions wrong footed us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

EDIT #1 (see also Post #10): Because people are asking for clarification on what teachings of Jesus I am asserting that Christians are not obeying (fair enough!), I will now clarify with this post and also put an edit on my original post. These are merely four ones I feel are not being obeyed.

It appears that some of the issues that trouble you would be eliminated if you got together with someone who could help you find the meaning of what you are reading in the Bible and give you some context and hermeneutical insights. Why not sit down with someone who can help you resolve your doubts and questions.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

The titles used are father and teacher, but specifically, Rabbi, spiritual teacher. I don't.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
4) Also, the teaching to go into "all the world" telling people to obey Jesus (Mark 16:15, Matthew 28:19-20). This would imply that you would need to be telling people to obey the aforementioned teachings of Jesus, and therefore you would need to be practising them yourself, otherwise you would be a hypocrite

Indeed!

Practice what you preach. If you make a mistake; keep practicing.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
... Why not sit down with someone who can help you resolve your doubts and questions.

Are they not few and far between?

While it will come back to money, we have meantime to go further than solely that. Why did Jesus call the Pharisees Assyrians and why isn't He giving us any other sign? Did Jonah not beg Nineveh to look after his people who were about to be taken there - Galileans first (733) - Jonah the prosperous prophet of the prosperous Jeroboam II, no longer looking prosperous.

Answers like a-bit-of-that-and-a-bit-of this in solely present day money terms aren't sufficiently illuminating.

Mt 19 has a man with much possessions, and Lk 18 a ruler (of synagogue or temple) test Jesus' attitude to commandments. This man wasn't wholly cynical but he was disappointed at the time with Jesus' answer.

My Amplified Bible draws on comments by K Wuest and J Thayer to illuminate that "perfect" means having spiritual maturity accompanying sacrificial character.

The same chapters in Mt & Lk have got the humility of children, and a tax collector that wanted to turn his life round. Did Jesus want to hint that the spiritual extortioners who were on the "right" side were the same as the material ones that were on the wrong side? The people around Him took a hint, loud and clear. Why aren't we (that fancy we are already "in the know") up for a hint?

I find the many sincere enquiries like this one of this OP, hugely heart warming. I'd love to see your continuing comments Q386, on where this could be going.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It appears that some of the issues that trouble you would be eliminated if you got together with someone who could help you find the meaning of what you are reading in the Bible and give you some context and hermeneutical insights. Why not sit down with someone who can help you resolve your doubts and questions.

It appears that's what he might be doing.

Upvote 0