Why aren’t Evangelical churches speaking about False Prophets in the Pulpit?

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for your posts:

not one of which is something that was preached in the NT showing a pastor or leader calling out a false teacher or apostle. What you do have is Paul writing of events that happened and instructions to the various churches as a warning, not a sermon preparation.

With all due respect, I hold no confidence in any Catholic reference book.

Catholics are my brothers and sisters in Christ, but in a number of areas, our doctrine is vastly different.

Thank you again for your opinion.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You will note Acts 19: 23 to the end of the chapter.

Those followers of Diana were rioting, because they were loosing money and the silversmith who was loosing his livelihood was the provocateur of the violence.

Nowhere is there an example of a Pastor or church leaders preaching against Diana.

Upvote 0

BornAgain2007

Dec 28, 2020
Robbinsville
✟16,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
How many churches have you experienced that fit your description?

Yes, there is an issue with the "Prophets". Having a grasp and foundation in scripture will sure help in guarding your heart and mind.

I'm not in favor of pastors preaching against this or that. It isn't what we are called to - we are called to preach the truth.

Preachers are called to preach against sin; glad I got to grow up in the old timey spirit filled churches.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Preachers are called to preach against sin; glad I got to grow up in the old timey spirit filled churches.

Really?

Jesus to the 12 said this:

Luke 9:Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. 2 He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.​

Why did Jesus not instruct them to preach against sin?

Jesus to the 70 said this:

Luke 10: After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also, and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go. 2 Then He said to them, “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. 3 Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves. 4 Carry neither money bag, knapsack, nor sandals; and greet no one along the road. 5 But whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house. 8 Whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you. 9 And heal the sick there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’

I could go on with the Epistles, but you are getting my point here. There is no instruction in scripture to preach AGAINST anything. The GOOD NEWS of the Gospel is that God is not holding your sin against you, that He has paid the price for your sin and you can be set free. That is why it is called "GOOD NEWS".

Preach the goodness of God and repentance comes very often.

Luke 24:46 Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And you are witnesses of these things.
People don't need to be called sinners - they need to know they don't have to remain in sin. It's the goodness of God that draws men to repentance (I think I read that somewhere).

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Example: those who are best able recognize a counterfeit bill when they see it do not train by studying counterfeits, rather, they can recognize a counterfeit immediately when they see it because they have carefully studied the real thing.
How can you know if a minister's gift is from God or is false - Search the Word, find out what God says about the gift.

In the Old Testament Prophets gave direction and guidance because the Spirit moved on only those three. The New Covenant shows a change in that. Now if you are a child of God, then you are led by the Spirit of God.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Example:

God told Paul the things he would suffer:

Acts 9:15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”
Later in Paul's ministry he heard the word of a prophet:

10 And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11 When he had come to us, he took Paul’s belt, bound his own hands and feet, and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’ ”
The Prophet was NOT telling Paul something he did not already know, but confirming what Paul already knew, that is shown in Paul's words

Acts 21:
12 Now when we heard these things, both we and those from that place pleaded with him not to go up to Jerusalem. 13 Then Paul answered, “What do you mean by weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.”

Now notice this also:

Acts 13:1 Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
Prophets were not stand alone ministries. They were in the church.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Know we see different things in Scripture. But in Rev 2, God said to the church in Pergamos that they had combined Christianity with worship to pagan gods. They needed to repent for eating things sacrificed unto idols, committing fornication, and holding the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes which God hated. Also, the church in Smyrna hadnt worshipped pagan gods. Now whether they preached against it or not but that church made the decision not to worship pagan gods. They were persecuted because they didnt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BornAgain2007

Dec 28, 2020
Robbinsville
✟16,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Really?

Jesus to the 12 said this:

Luke 9:Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. 2 He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.​

Jesus to the 70 said this:

Luke 10: After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also, and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go. 2 Then He said to them, “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. 3 Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves. 4 Carry neither money bag, knapsack, nor sandals; and greet no one along the road. 5 But whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house. 8 Whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you. 9 And heal the sick there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’

I could go on with the Epistles, but you are getting my point here. There is no instruction in scripture to preach AGAINST anything. The GOOD NEWS of the Gospel is that God is not holding your sin against you, that He has paid the price for your sin and you can be set free. That is why it is called "GOOD NEWS".

Preach the goodness of God and repentance comes very often.

Luke 24:46 Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And you are witnesses of these things.
People don't need to be called sinners - they need to know they don't have to remain in sin. It's the goodness of God that draws men to repentance (I think I read that somewhere).

The old time preachers preached against sin for several reasons: First God will beat you up for sin. Hebrews 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

Second they preached that it cause trouble for the entire Church.

THird it hurts your fellowship with God.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The old time preachers preached against sin for several reasons: First God will beat you up for sin. Hebrews 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

Second they preached that it cause trouble for the entire Church.

THird it hurts your fellowship with God.

The old time preacher may have, but Jesus, His Disciples and the Epistles did not.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my time in the Evangelical circle, I have not heard from a Pastor speaking about false prophets in the pulpit. We are living in an era of misinformation and false teaching and it is disturbingly spreading in the Evangelical community with no accountability. It is one of the topics that is seldom brought up in the pulpit. Many churches have a shaky foundation when it comes to teaching about discernment, it is likely used to promote false teaching.
I sometimes wonder if it is because if a Pastor speak about false prophets, they will be judged as such. I was given two dreams about being careful of false prophets during this year. I was scared to post them because I am given many messages from the Lord which I share, so I was worried I was going to be judged. Here are the dreams if they interest you:
False Prophet Dream | Christian Forums
Be Careful With Prophetic Words Given In This Season | Christian Forums

Upvote 0

BornAgain2007

Dec 28, 2020
Robbinsville
✟16,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The old time preacher may have, but Jesus, His Disciples and the Epistles did not.

Actually, the Epistles do mention sin on several occasions: 1What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? 3Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, the Epistles do mention sin on several occasions: 1What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? 3Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

I did not say the Epistles did not mention sin. I said there was no example or instruction to preach against sin, or false prophets.

We are to preach the Good News -

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are to preach what God tells us to.

Amen to that!

The Gospel!

Eph 1:3 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.​

Romans 10:8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.”​

Upvote 0