British Columbia
✟1,006,833.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If we are to live in the spirit, why are we made of flesh?
If the flesh is evil, what is the purpose of our being flesh?

Where would you get the idea that being "of the flesh" is evil?

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,833.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Being "in the flesh" is evil, we're supposed to live in the spirit.
So what is the purpose of the flesh?

All you're doing is repeating what you already said. Again I ask where you get this idea.

Upvote 0

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟105,073.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
All you're doing is repeating what you already said. Again I ask where you get this idea.
Numerous Bible verses that tell us we should live in the spirt and not in the flesh, because the desires of the flesh are bad. I'm paraphrasing there, and I can quote some specific verses if you want, but you probably know what I'm talking about.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟105,073.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Again a vehicle where unfortunately the driver confuses itself with being the vehicle.
I'm sure that's part of the answer. I'm just thinking out loud here. God is spirit, eventually we will become spirit, why the need for the flesh? I'm going to add to give glory to God, since His material creation is evidence of His glory, even if the flesh is corrupt.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to add to give glory to God, since His material creation is evidence of His glory, even if the flesh is corrupt.
The flesh only became corrupt when it became self aware. That is when the connection with God was broken as man being self aware, suddenly took interest in self and saw flesh as their identity, became self empowered and no longer fuelled by the will of God, but quite often their own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What is a man? Is he not body and soul joined to gether.
What drives a man? It is not the body, that is a vehical, it is a mans spirit/soul that motivates him.

So your premis that flesh is evil is false it is mans spirit that is evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The body we have now inherited death. That's not insignificant but has altered human life radically. Paul touched on it in Romans 7. We need saved from this wretched body of death he laments.

Imagine a body that has not inherited death. A body not destined to die....ever. Imagine how that might effect your perception of time. The past melts away.

A body that isn't burdened by a need to survive. Flesh that doesn't serve another law but is free to serve our will. The inner conflict caused by the flesh Paul taught about melts away because we wouldn't have a body of death.

Our flesh is of a body that dies. Because it does it acts of it's own volition just as all other animals that die. Before the fall human life was everlasting life.
The flesh was our servant then not the servant of the law of death as it is now.
Before death entered our world there was no mistaking the dignity of a human body because it wasn't destined to die. There was no other body like it on earth. Human life being in His image and us being like God, human life was unmistakably the pinnacle of creation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The flesh may not be evil per se but it is inclined toward evil because of selfishness and the passions. Thus it provides ample opportunity for testing and purifying the spirit as gold is purified in a crucible.

Gal 5:16 Let me say this to you: live by the spirit, and you won’t do what the flesh wants you to.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Thinking is the best way to travel" ... Mike Pinder

It came with stipulations
You do understand that the experience of life in our body now is very different than the experience of life in our body before death? Understanding that former state of human life sheds light on Jesus' experience of human life.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Because it is possible for an immortal being to choose not to trust God.

But down here in the temporary mortal flesh body, you get a lot of chances to chose wrong, and then learn from your mistakes.

Here, where you are not yet able to attack someone in heaven....

Here, in the flesh, you can learn to trust God first and always....

Unlike lucifer and his angels, who did not trust God.... (and he is allowed to continue to tempt those not focused on Christ (which includes believers at some moments in time often in their lives) to put them into situations that can help them learn this key hard lesson...that we should trust God above ourselves)

You can learn what Adam and Eve learned down here -- it's harmful to distrust God -- and you can learn it in a temporary body, where the stakes are much lower, and then keep that lesson, and always trust God forever...

So, this is a kind of training ground.

Here's another (older style) wording of this from St. John Chrysostom

Temptations Can Strengthen You! | St. John Chrysostom Quote

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"the mind of the flesh [with its sinful pursuits] is actively hostile to God. It does not submit itself to God’s law, since it cannot,". This flesh is the result of the fall. God said if you eat of this tree you will die. Its because of Christ.. the belief in Him we are born from above (born again) and have this new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. The flesh I can see why some would call it evil.. it does not desire chase after God yet evil it is not. Its part of the fall. It the flesh will die and go back to dust.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The flesh I can see why some would call it evil.. it does not desire chase after God yet evil it is not. Its part of the fall. It the flesh will die and go back to dust.
It is merely our animal instincts clashing with our spirit. Imagine what a cat's life would be like if God had put His spirit in them instead.

Upvote 0