Why are there so many divorces among Christians?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Maybe it’s because women get crapped on more in our society.
Seriously?

What exactly happened to Jesus and the Apostles in society ?

(remember Jesus says all society is death dealing(pernicious) in Galatians, etc)

Did that cause Jesus and the Apostles to disobey abominably ? (hint: no - they rejoiced in great trials, and sang hymns of praise with heartys full of thanksgiving WHILE IN COLD CHAINS, in dark, wet prison) ....

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Unfortunately, some folk's twisted thinking will assume that's the better result. Better to be murdered, than to leave an abusive relationship. Lord have mercy.
Many many martyrs (in Foxes Book of Martyrs) could have saved their own lives if they had simply left and abandoned the faith, walked away from those persecuting them, and been silent.

Jesus would not have been arrested, beaten, stoned and crucified if only He had been silent instead of telling God's Word to people.

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are many varied reasons that people get divorced, even Christians, but they usually fall into these types of categories.

Many people, even Christians believe that a marriage will "fix" what is wrong with their life. When marriage doesnt fix "what's missing" they think a child will.... when that doesnt do it, it must be the other persons fault.

Instead of switching from the position of self/single to married and giving up of themselves to serve the other in love, they remain self driven and there is no true union if only one is giving while the other does nothing but take in selfishness. That is not union in nature, but parasitic.

Then, you have those that just dont choose very wisely and ignore red flags because they are more affraid of being alone, than being married to the wrong person.

Then, you have the people that choose cautiously, and give all they have.... but the person changes and they become toxic by their own free will, such as being abusive/drunk etc.

In truth, the ONLY way a husband and wife can love and serve eachother as God intended, is if God is the glue joining the two in union.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And why do they treat divorce as if it's no big deal but yet will fight for abortion rights and against homosexual and transgendered equality or for the issues that effect them yet, the serious topic of divorce gets thrown under the rug as if Christ never said "Don't get divorced." Here's a newsflash my fellow Christians, he did. The topic of divorce is just swept under the rug and NEVER fought for! Maybe it's become I'm Schizo-affective Bipolar type and possibly autistic (Autistic testing wasn't as good as it is today when I was born/young back in the mid 80's. By the time it came out I was an adult and too old to be tested. So I'll never know. But my family HIGHLY suspects that I am in fact, autistic) and my brain is all messed up to where I can't comprehend the things that "normal" people comprehend. But, I just can't comprehend this and it EXTREMELY angers me.

I cannot possibly fathom why somebody who claims to be a Christian and claims to follow Christ's teachings would leave their spouse for basically sneezing on them. Seriously! So many Christians are getting divorced over completely NOTHING. People don't seem to understand that their first spouse is a gift from God! Nobody questions the joining of Adam and Eve so why should any other joining be different! They were all joinings made by GOD! And don't these people who get divorced and get remarried realize that they are adulterers in the eyes of God and will one day not only have to give an account to God for their choices but also would feel ASHAMED when they have to bow before Christ and repent for what they did?

Meanwhile those who have remained faithful to Christ and to his word would be praised and rewarded by him, BEYOND their wildest dreams? Don't they also realize that they will at max live for 125 years on this planet and after that, their eternity starts? When you start living for 100 sextillion years in pure bliss those "painful" memories wouldn't even come to mind.

We're on this earth for one reason, and one reason only. To come to Christ and to SERVE him. Yet, so many "Christians" don't realize that. "Oh I don't want to be a slave to God! I want to live however I want!"

Sorry but the truth is, that's why you were created. Humanity was created from the getgo to serve and be "slaves" if you will to God. Don't believe me, look at Romans 6:22, Ephesians 6:6, Colossians 3:24 & 1 Peter 2:16 and basically anywhere in Genesis. Just because these books were written years and years ago doesn't mean that times have "changed". God's word NEVER changes.

What I'm saying is not new to Christianity. Or a new concept to God's children. It's been known by every one of God's children who came from Adam and Eve!

So honestly? What's a little physical or emotional abuse? Or what's so bad about living in a so called "toxic" marriage? God GAVE you your spouse so that honestly should be good enough! He gives you the "horrible" marriage to test your faith. Guess what, you failed. And you won't escape God's judgement and you will feel ASHAMED when you have to appear before Christ.

Maybe it's because I've lived a life of abuse,neglect, and misery, and because God tests my faith the hardest out of most other people. So I'm used to being depressed 24/7. I'm used to being tired and cranky 24/7. I'm used to being a massive walking ball of anxiety and stress and I'm used to day long episodes of panic attacks. I'm used to getting manic episodes at least four times a year, I'm used to constantly being physically abused by both my father and wife. I've been on this earth for almost 34 years now and for at LEAST 30 of those years I've only known pain and misery and guess what? more is coming as I get older and older.

But, I don't care. I have a hope. I have a living hope and his name is Jesus Christ. I WILL live for an eternity and because of the life I'm living I will be praised and massively rewarded by my kind and loving Savior. When It's time for me to go to Christ, that will be the happiest day of my life. I will tell my loved ones not to cry because I am going to live in bliss, FOREVER.

I cannot possibly comprehend why people cannot comprehend what I do and can. My wife says "Nobody acts that way" when she basically calls me "The greatest husband ever." and she's right, I'm a darn good husband. Because, I am filled with so much love for my wife that I don't want anything else the world can give me. I want the wife that God gave me. Especially why I promised God that I would be with that wife that he gave me, for better or WORSE. Doesn't matter what happens in my life, I will do it without question and I will bear it with only "mild" complaining. LOL

When I came to Christ I told him from the very beginning that I'd go "all in". I meant it and I will continue fighting Satan and everything God throws at me until the end of my days. THAT'S the way a Christian should live. Sorry if I seem like a jerk but, It's the truth. So many people are going to lose out on so many rewards because they refused to acknowledge what Christ wanted from them. Or maybe Christ didn't want anything from them at all and that was his plan. Who knows.
We all need lessons in life because we are all sinners. Some need a lesson in humility.
"The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men - extortioners, unjust, adulterers or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.' And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner.' Luke 18:11-13

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

What exactly happened to Jesus and the Apostles in society ?

(remember Jesus says all society is death dealing(pernicious) in Galatians, etc)

Did that cause Jesus and the Apostles to disobey abominably ? (hint: no - they rejoiced in great trials, and sang hymns of praise with heartys full of thanksgiving WHILE IN COLD CHAINS, in dark, wet prison) ....

I don’t even know what point you’re trying to make.

Upvote 0

CitizenD

Jul 19, 2017
San Francisco
✟100,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So honestly? What's a little physical or emotional abuse? Or what's so bad about living in a so called "toxic" marriage? God GAVE you your spouse so that honestly should be good enough! He gives you the "horrible" marriage to test your faith. Guess what, you failed.

I would love to be your wife!

• Haha
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Maybe it’s because women get c***ed on more in our society.

Yes, seriously.
I don’t even know what point you’re trying to make.

Just what I said. Jesus said and says to the followers of Jesus, to everyone who stands up for the truth, that we/they/ with Him/ will be hated just as He is hated by the world.
We cannot (or should not) expect to be treated better than they (Jesus and the martyrs) were/are treated.

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Meanwhile those who have remained faithful to Christ and to his word would be praised and rewarded by him, BEYOND their wildest dreams?

So honestly? What's a little physical or emotional abuse?

If someone abuses his/ her spouse, how is this "faithful to Christ"? Is it in staying married alone that one is rewarded? Does not the content matter?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
And why do they treat divorce as if it's no big deal but yet will fight for abortion rights and against homosexual and transgendered equality or for the issues that effect them yet, the serious topic of divorce gets thrown under the rug as if Christ never said "Don't get divorced." Here's a newsflash my fellow Christians, he did. The topic of divorce is just swept under the rug and NEVER fought for! Maybe it's become I'm Schizo-affective Bipolar type and possibly autistic (Autistic testing wasn't as good as it is today when I was born/young back in the mid 80's. By the time it came out I was an adult and too old to be tested. So I'll never know. But my family HIGHLY suspects that I am in fact, autistic) and my brain is all messed up to where I can't comprehend the things that "normal" people comprehend. But, I just can't comprehend this and it EXTREMELY angers me.

I cannot possibly fathom why somebody who claims to be a Christian and claims to follow Christ's teachings would leave their spouse for basically sneezing on them. Seriously! So many Christians are getting divorced over completely NOTHING. People don't seem to understand that their first spouse is a gift from God! Nobody questions the joining of Adam and Eve so why should any other joining be different! They were all joinings made by GOD! And don't these people who get divorced and get remarried realize that they are adulterers in the eyes of God and will one day not only have to give an account to God for their choices but also would feel ASHAMED when they have to bow before Christ and repent for what they did?

Meanwhile those who have remained faithful to Christ and to his word would be praised and rewarded by him, BEYOND their wildest dreams? Don't they also realize that they will at max live for 125 years on this planet and after that, their eternity starts? When you start living for 100 sextillion years in pure bliss those "painful" memories wouldn't even come to mind.

We're on this earth for one reason, and one reason only. To come to Christ and to SERVE him. Yet, so many "Christians" don't realize that. "Oh I don't want to be a slave to God! I want to live however I want!"

Sorry but the truth is, that's why you were created. Humanity was created from the getgo to serve and be "slaves" if you will to God. Don't believe me, look at Romans 6:22, Ephesians 6:6, Colossians 3:24 & 1 Peter 2:16 and basically anywhere in Genesis. Just because these books were written years and years ago doesn't mean that times have "changed". God's word NEVER changes.

What I'm saying is not new to Christianity. Or a new concept to God's children. It's been known by every one of God's children who came from Adam and Eve!

So honestly? What's a little physical or emotional abuse? Or what's so bad about living in a so called "toxic" marriage? God GAVE you your spouse so that honestly should be good enough! He gives you the "horrible" marriage to test your faith. Guess what, you failed. And you won't escape God's judgement and you will feel ASHAMED when you have to appear before Christ.

Maybe it's because I've lived a life of abuse,neglect, and misery, and because God tests my faith the hardest out of most other people. So I'm used to being depressed 24/7. I'm used to being tired and cranky 24/7. I'm used to being a massive walking ball of anxiety and stress and I'm used to day long episodes of panic attacks. I'm used to getting manic episodes at least four times a year, I'm used to constantly being physically abused by both my father and wife. I've been on this earth for almost 34 years now and for at LEAST 30 of those years I've only known pain and misery and guess what? more is coming as I get older and older.

But, I don't care. I have a hope. I have a living hope and his name is Jesus Christ. I WILL live for an eternity and because of the life I'm living I will be praised and massively rewarded by my kind and loving Savior. When It's time for me to go to Christ, that will be the happiest day of my life. I will tell my loved ones not to cry because I am going to live in bliss, FOREVER.

I cannot possibly comprehend why people cannot comprehend what I do and can. My wife says "Nobody acts that way" when she basically calls me "The greatest husband ever." and she's right, I'm a darn good husband. Because, I am filled with so much love for my wife that I don't want anything else the world can give me. I want the wife that God gave me. Especially why I promised God that I would be with that wife that he gave me, for better or WORSE. Doesn't matter what happens in my life, I will do it without question and I will bear it with only "mild" complaining. LOL

When I came to Christ I told him from the very beginning that I'd go "all in". I meant it and I will continue fighting Satan and everything God throws at me until the end of my days. THAT'S the way a Christian should live. Sorry if I seem like a jerk but, It's the truth. So many people are going to lose out on so many rewards because they refused to acknowledge what Christ wanted from them. Or maybe Christ didn't want anything from them at all and that was his plan. Who knows.
There are a number of reasons why divorce is such a problem. As one who is divorced, perhaps I can shed some light on some of those reasons.

First, it is true that many so-called Christians do not take God's word especially seriously. When it comes to issues that do not affect them personally, it is easy to take the high moral ground. When it affects them personally, there are numbers of excuses. You should listen to Mark Gungor! He is scathing about the attitudes of many people to marriage.

As an aside, the issue of parental discipline is just as vexed. Parents often reject God's instruction as to how to raise children. Hence the exodus of young people from church.

About 95% of churchgoers are not born again. So it is easy for those people to reject God's word without conscience.

There is a basis for divorce. It is one of two conditions. One party is an unbeliever and wants out. The other is adultery. I won't embarrass my ex by saying what applied in my case.

Marriage is often entered into on the wrong basis and for the wrong reasons. I married the wrong person. Divorce is often like entered into likewise. I had no choice, but it was traumatic. I'd never advise anyone just to pull the pin without serious soul searching first. It has to be done with God's blessing.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

People have ceased to believe what Romans 7 says: "So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

If you told him you were going to go “all in” why do your words drip with pride and anger and lack love? You understand that God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble?

the greatest command is to love the lord your God, and the second is to love your neighbor. Do you think you accomplished this in your post?

the same God who hates divorce said this:
Ephesians 4:31-32 ESV / 626 helpful votes
Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

None of what you said aligns with the last sentence in this verse. Honestly man I would delete this if I were you. It’s offensive and unkind, and I actually AGREE with you that divorce is terrible and Christians are not justified getting divorced for reasons outside of those clearly depicted in scripture.

Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I never divorced! I took my marriage seriously. My sister never divorced. Her husband was a child molester and broke his son's arm. I wish she had divorced him! She died at age 45 of cancer.

Some Christians are divorced for serious reasons. Maybe one of the couple was Christian and the non-Christian spouse was an alcoholic or abuser. Sometimes divorce is the best option.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Why are so many more soldiers killed while overseas? Because they are the ones out there fighting the war.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Divorce happens so often because it is something that everyone can do - so it must be marginalized in order to allow people to feel better about themselves. People also think marriage under the Most High is a writ/contract from this plane of existence - that is something introduced by institutional authority (i.e. Moses) so that it can be broken by institution (i.e. MOSES, not the Most High, was the one who allowed for divorce because we groaned about it).

Not everyone is a woman, so we can rail on abortion. Not everyone is homosexual (or, rather, we can hide it well) so we rail on that. Not everyone is clergy or authority in church, but they have the power to be protected.

All in all, it is our fault for lying to ourselves and others daily, while at the same time feigning enough piety to degrade and diminish other sins as if they are worse (and, to keep attention off of one's own sin).

It is a predictable, mundane game that is constantly played.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what happens to the children in a home where one spouse is abusing the other, but they stay together?
Is it really better for your children to live in that type of environment?
What do you think will happen when they get married? Generational sins are a real thing.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who knows.

Marriage is not the goal, holiness is. Get the foundation right first. Too often the church is a middle class married persons clique where people are pushed or condescended into pairing up with variable results. God Bless :)

• Winner
Reactions: tryphena rose
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So honestly? What's a little physical or emotional abuse? Or what's so bad about living in a so called "toxic" marriage?

Yeah, Nope... That’s not an ok thing to say...

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So what happens to the children in a home where one spouse is abusing the other, but they stay together?

Of course this is no use to those who are already married, but I think that's why believers should really seek the Lord and pray before committing to marriage, or making any big commitment. You have to make sure the Lord is telling you to marry that person and that they (or you) are not a wolf in sheep's clothing. The Lord knows all things and is the revealer of secrets to those who dilligently seek him. How many of these marriage problems could have been adverted by as the scripture says 'First seeking the counsel of the Lord' (1 Kings 22:5)

And a lot of the churches who push marriage as a goal, they're giving you what they think you want to hear in order to keep tithers. You need to go not where you hear what you want to hear but where you hear what you need to hear.

God Bless :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0