Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Why are the archangels, like St. Michael the Archangel, called Saint? I thought that the term Saint referred to human people, and that angels are a different type of creation?
I have wondered this myself and not gotten a logical answer. I'm interested to know!

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just found this from my Church’s pov.

The word "saint"' (which comes from the Latin sanctus, holy) refers, in Catholic tradition, to those who are with God in eternity. As the Second Vatican Council teaches, they are joined with God forever in a life free from decay, and share in his life and happiness. (See the Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World, Nos. 18 and 21.)

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The following verse is in reference to the Gentiles becoming part of the Jewish People (Nation) who are the chosen people of God.

Eph 2:19
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I looked for Eastern Orthodox answers but could not find any. You all might be able to find something.
Yes, I had looked too and found nothing from the Orthodox perspective. I see archer75’s answer and it seems in line with the Roman Catholic view - I wonder if this thinking goes back pre-schism? I will ask my priest about it when I have the chance, too.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why are the archangels, like St. Michael the Archangel, called Saint? I thought that the term Saint referred to human people, and that angels are a different type of creation?

I think we refer to certain angels as saints (holy) because there are angels who fell away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I had looked too and found nothing from the Orthodox perspective. I see archer75’s answer and it seems in line with the Roman Catholic view - I wonder if this thinking goes back pre-schism? I will ask my priest about it when I have the chance, too.
Please let us know what he says.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think we refer to certain angels as saints (holy) because there are angels who fell away.
Would all the unfallen angels then be called Saints? I have only seen a few of the archangels specifically named as such.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The following verse is in reference to the Gentiles becoming part of the Jewish People (Nation) who are the chosen people of God.

Eph 2:19
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
Thank you for your thoughts. It certainly describes and explains one use of the word “saint ”, but doesn’t quite answer my question as to why Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholics and some Anglicans (as well as others) refer to the archangels as “Saint”.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your thoughts. It certainly describes and explains one use of the word “saint ”, but doesn’t quite answer my question as to why Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholics and some Anglicans (as well as others) refer to the archangels as “Saint”.

Couldn't it be as simple as a misunderstanding of what the word really means?

Where is the word Saint used in relation to an Angel?

Just found this, maybe it helps.

H6918
קָדֹשׁ קָדוֹשׁ
qâdôsh qâdôsh
kaw-doshe', kaw-doshe'
From H6942; sacred (ceremonially or morally); (as noun) God (by eminence), an angel, a saint, a sanctuary: - holy (One), saint.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I assumed that while they aren't saints in quite the same way, they are "hagioi" ("holy ones") in that they don't turn away from God, aren't fallen, etc.

The Greek word hagios can be translated either as the adjective "holy" or as "saints" as a plural noun. So perhaps it's more the way the Greek has been translated into English when the actual Greek holds more depth of meaning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Would all the unfallen angels then be called Saints? I have only seen a few of the archangels specifically named as such.

I would say yes. they always have a nimbus in iconography. and, even the unnamed ones are treated as such in the services.

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I would hope my guardian angel is holy.

Upvote 0