Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find that many pastors are very lazy .They only do the least possible job as possible ,while enjoying a high pay to raise their own family.
You must be speaking of an evangelical pastor. Those I know are not lazy at all
Bit I know very few evangelical pastors.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find that many pastors are very lazy .They only do the least possible job as possible ,while enjoying a high pay to raise their own family.
Maybe because people suck the life out of them. Their battery gets run down and they need to recharge.

• Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Not all pastors are lazy (I haven't met any lazy ones), the ones in mega churches might have more money though.

Upvote 0

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe because people suck the life out of them. Their battery gets run down and they need to recharge.

Yes, they have to refresh themselves with the Grace of God again , nowadays , we can do a lot more with the help of IT . If more pastors can be motivated to preach the Gospel and not just thinking of fulfilling the duties of job.

Upvote 0

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You must be speaking of an evangelical pastor. Those I know are not lazy at all
Bit I know very few evangelical pastors.
Yes, they are very very few evangelical pastors ! It is shamful to name them evangelical pastors in the first place ! Are not all pastors should preach the gospel ?

Upvote 0

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not all pastors are lazy (I haven't met any lazy ones), the ones in mega churches might have more money though.
I am saying those pastors from large denominational churches , what they do is just preparing a sermon on Sundays , with 1-2 prayers meetings , they don't outreach , support overseas missions , ... any more

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am saying those pastors from large denominational churches , what they do is just preparing a sermon on Sundays , with 1-2 prayers meetings , they don't outreach , support overseas missions , ... any more
Are you talking about mega churches? I went to a mega church for a few years and the pastor couldn't possibly visit every home. Actually, that's not my kind of church, but the pastor wasn't lazy; there were many more than 365 families attending that church.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, they have to refresh themselves with the Grace of God again , nowadays , we can do a lot more with the help of IT . If more pastors can be motivated to preach the Gospel and not just thinking of fulfilling the duties of job.
It is a lot easier to find people that can preach then to be able to find people that can do the job of a pastor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Note that a lot of people complain about pastors being lazy because they seem to have this mistaken idea that pastors only work one day of the week on Sunday (Saturday), and also do not understand how much time good sermon preparation actually takes on top of all the other responsibilities. In a big mega-church I would imagine just managing a large staff would take a good chunk of time in and of itself.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All of us fall short.

The Pastors that I know (smaller churches) don't get paid much money and have other jobs to help support their families and themselves.

Somewhere in the Bible it says blessed are the preachers. So Christians should be very careful when talking negatively regarding them.

M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Mod hat on
Introduce Yourself Statement of Purpose

Welcome to CF! Here's some information you'll want to know as you begin your participation here.

This forum is for you to post a brief introduction of yourself and to let our members welcome you here. Our Ambassadors are a great resource to help you find your way around the forum, so if you're lost, just ask for directions.

Serious discussions go to other areas of the forum, and if your introduction is more of questions or concerns, wanting prayer or Christian Advice, staff may move your thread to a more appropriate forum where you'll get the support or discussion you are looking for. We'd encourage you to still post a brief intro even if we move your thread.

Mod hat off.

Upvote 0

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you talking about mega churches? I went to a mega church for a few years and the pastor couldn't possibly visit every home. Actually, that's not my kind of church, but the pastor wasn't lazy; there were many more than 365 families attending that church.
I am not talking about mega church , I am refering to medium-sized church .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a lot easier to find people that can preach then to be able to find people that can do the job of a pastor.
Yes , the job of a pastor needs a lot of self-discipline . Preaching is only a part of their job , and even this part they nowadays mainly focus on the teachings to Christians. They seldom focus on preach the gospel to non-believers

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

You realise how much work goes in to preparing a sermon?

Did you ever go to college? Imagine writing a paper, or two, every week for the rest of your life.

Most pastors delegate to others in the church for outreach and other aspects. It's unrealistic for a single person to do all of those things to any meaningful standard.

Upvote 0

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All of us fall short.

The Pastors that I know (smaller churches) don't get paid much money and have other jobs to help support their families and themselves.

Somewhere in the Bible it says blessed are the preachers. So Christians should be very careful when talking negatively regarding them.

M-Bob

I totally agree with you , many Pastors are struggling , especially in the small churches , they have to do part-time job to support the ministry .I highly appreciate their work in the Kingdom of God .They will have great reward from Jesus. Pray for them.

However, there are some who are in some well - established churches. They just are doing the minimum ,and they can do more for the Glory of God. I love Jesus , I love Bible , that is why I dare to speak up the Truth. Christians should for the sake of Christ dare to speak up to remind the servants of God to remain faithful to the Lord .I am speaking under the Holy Spirit.

Note that a lot of people complain about pastors being lazy because they seem to have this mistaken idea that pastors only work one day of the week on Sunday (Saturday), and also do not understand how much time good sermon preparation actually takes on top of all the other responsibilities. In a big mega-church I would imagine just managing a large staff would take a good chunk of time in and of itself.

I

totally agree with you , some preacher in Mega-churches are doing great job with good sermons and even broadcasting worldwide .However , in some medium size churches , they only spend a few hours a week to prepare for the sermon and a few hours for admin work . Where the other 30 hours /week are they doing ?

Upvote 0

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat on
Introduce Yourself Statement of Purpose

Welcome to CF! Here's some information you'll want to know as you begin your participation here.

This forum is for you to post a brief introduction of yourself and to let our members welcome you here. Our Ambassadors are a great resource to help you find your way around the forum, so if you're lost, just ask for directions.

Serious discussions go to other areas of the forum, and if your introduction is more of questions or concerns, wanting prayer or Christian Advice, staff may move your thread to a more appropriate forum where you'll get the support or discussion you are looking for. We'd encourage you to still post a brief intro even if we move your thread.

Mod hat off.
Thanks .
I am new to this forum

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I totally agree with you , many Pastors are struggling , especially in the small churches , they have to do part-time job to support the ministry .I highly appreciate their work in the Kingdom of God .They will have great reward from Jesus. Pray for them.

However, there are some who are in some well - established churches. They just are doing the minimum ,and they can do more for the Glory of God. I love Jesus , I love Bible , that is why I dare to speak up the Truth. Christians should for the sake of Christ dare to speak up to remind the servants of God to remain faithful to the Lord .I am speaking under the Holy Spirit.

I

totally agree with you , some preacher in Mega-churches are doing great job with good sermons and even broadcasting worldwide .However , in some medium size churches , they only spend a few hours a week to prepare for the sermon and a few hours for admin work . Where the other 30 hours /week are they doing ?

There could be weddings, funerals, baptisms, etc. that take time to prepare for as they would need to meet with families and coordinate these things with others involved in order of worship. Pastors often counsel people for various things. They are also often required to go to many committee meetings - finance, staff relations, etc. depending on what the church has. These aren't always announced to the entire congregation if it only involves the particular people on the committees.

Pastors also need to respond to emails and texts from people with questions. They may have various learning seminars they need to attend. There are hospital visits and visits to people who are homebound. Anywhere you could possibly think a pastor might be involved, they may have something going on there. Oh yes, and teaching bible studies and new members classes and confirmation classes, etc. may also be on the list.

If they are spending an average of 15 hours a week on a single sermon (realistic regardless of church size) and a "few more" hours of admin work, then they have a lot less hours in which to squeeze in all those other things without going way over a 40 hour week (which many pastors do) if they are full time. Part time pastors have even less time to squeeze in everything.

Yes , the job of a pastor needs a lot of self-discipline . Preaching is only a part of their job , and even this part they nowadays mainly focus on the teachings to Christians. They seldom focus on preach the gospel to non-believers

This is actually a problem in general with churches, but it's not particularly a *pastor* problem but a *church* problem. Even if a pastor is on fire for the gospel and outreach, they often run into many, many brick walls in their congregations because people are both unsatisfied with the way things are AND they also don't want to change.

Many people complain about pastors but being a church *member* has a degree of responsibility too. *Everyone* is commissioned to go out and make disciples for Christ. A church member's responsibility is more than just going and sitting through a church service every week.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.