Why are some churches celebrating sinful conduct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:) yes anyone that comes to Christ He in no way will turn away. For me this is about "celebrates LGBT Pride". Other words were used "coming out". Any and all are welcome. We don't condone sin of any kind.

I think one needs to ask "WHO" is accepting them(should not have to explain that. Can come to Church) , who accepted you and let in.. "WHO" has His arms open and "WHO" has there arms closed. Whats the difference with all the other sins that come in to Church? Christ already died.. not happening again. So let all in.. to tell them show them.. Jesus came for them, loved them so much He died for them.. to set them free. Or do it like "some" and blast them with judgment and condemnation on the streets.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said that even if a man looks on a woman to lust after her commits adultery with her in his heart. Therefore, in the same way that lustful thoughts toward a member of the opposite gender are sinful, lustful thoughts against someone of the same gender is equally sinful, even though no actual sinful act has occurred.

So repent of those as well. Better a struggling duck than a dead one.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree save for this point... homosexuality isn't a social issue, it is an abomination according to a God that is eternal and says He does not change. We have to understand, that if we create a theological environment where God changes the rules or foundations or principles... then He can change it on ANYTHING including whether or not Christ's work is sufficient. He called killing a sin... then it is a sin and if killing becomes a social issue (like abortion) we as Christians can't legislate morality but we also can't condone murder. Yet, God can meet a murderer where he is and change him. That is what happens when we REALLY meet God... we change. It might take time but we change. So... a homosexual (or murderer, or drunk, or any other sin) who meets God might not change that moment, but they will change or their experience can't have been real because Christ's own words, his own expectation, was that we go and sin and no more. Sin is darkness, and sin and light do no live in harmony.

I'm sorry. I just don't agree.

The Bible does not condemn anybody for their sexual orientation. The Bible condemns immoral behavior. And regardless of whether we consider homosexual relatonships to be immoral, I don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I do not see that as my prerogative to judge and will leave that to God to approve or disapprove.

I do believe homosexuality is a deviation from normal in human development as there is no gene for it. And that suggests that a cure or physical correction could be possible even though we don't have one yet just as we don't yet have cures for many other conditions people are born with or that develop but over which they have no control. But there is always hope that solutions will be found if we keep looking for them.

Meanwhile the wonderful, caring, talented, competent, loving gay people in our midst are certainly loved by God as much as he loves you or me. Who are we to withhold our love for them?

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a news article I found about a church celebrating homosexual pride: First Congregational Church celebrates LGBT Pride, one year of inclusion

1 Corinthians 6:9-10, a New Testament scripture, says that homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of God. This verse is even more severe than the Old Testament verse Leviticus 20:13, which proscribes the death penalty for sodomy. Why? Because perdition is eternal, but death is only temporary.

Why are there churches that celebrate homosexual pride? It isn’t different than celebrating pride in other types of sins such as adultery, thievery, perversity, etc.

They have wandered or reasoned themselves away from the clear teachings of God's Word. However, we need to love all people regardless of their lifestyles, but we need to disagree with their sins, while first confessing our sins. We also need to befriend them and show them God's unconditional love. He can use us to restore them and can change their actions to biblical ways of acting.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So repent of those as well. Better a struggling duck than a dead one.
Yep! When I'm getting out of bed in the morning I feel like a dead duck, and I'm a struggling duck until I've had my first cup of coffee! :)

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,234.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here is a news article I found about a church celebrating homosexual pride: First Congregational Church celebrates LGBT Pride, one year of inclusion

1 Corinthians 6:9-10, a New Testament scripture, says that homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of God. This verse is even more severe than the Old Testament verse Leviticus 20:13, which proscribes the death penalty for sodomy. Why? Because perdition is eternal, but death is only temporary.

Why are there churches that celebrate homosexual pride? It isn’t different than celebrating pride in other types of sins such as adultery, thievery, perversity, etc.

Is living in a homosexual relationship worse than living in a heterosexual relationship outside marriage? (sexually active relationships)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,708.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The article which was linked to, was all about a church celebrating openness, acceptance and inclusivity. The church were NOT saying that they rejoice in, and promote, the "sin" of homosexuality.
To my knowledge there aren't many people promoting homosexuality, in the sense of suggesting that people should become homosexual. But certainly pride events and related things are based on acceptance. They celebrate acceptance of gays, and I think it's reasonable to believe that churches participating accept gays fully in the life of the church. Normally that doesn't mean "we accept you so we can preach at you," but actually believing that some gay relationships can be things that Christ blesses.

This kind of event seems like a natural thing to happen with a group that has been, and in many places still is, rejected. There have been "black pride" events. St Patrick day is in some ways related, as Irish were at one time looked down upon.

Obviously people who still think homosexuality is unnatural or sinful will hate these events. There's no argument that will change that. Attempts to do so don't accomplish much. Yes, people are treating homosexuality different that other things they think are sins. That's perhaps interesting to an anthropologist who wants to know where attitudes come from; it's strong evidence that Biblical interpretation is being driven by culture and not the reverse. But it's largely irrelevant for practical purposes.

Upvote 0

Christopher0121

Brother In Christ
Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It sounds like they are a "progressive" church. Many progressive churches interpret sexual ethics in different, or in non-traditional ways, compared to more "conservative" churches. That being so, it isn't uncommon to see them celebrate Gay Pride. Many progressive churches believe that any consensual and loving sexual relations are acceptable before God. This would include not only loving and consensual heterosexual relationships but also loving and consensual relationships that are homosexual or polyamorous. They also welcome transgendered and those who identify as "non-binary". Most of these churches stress their belief that love triumphs over law and judgment.

Of course, most can identify where this is going. But in a nation that has been founded on the principle of religious freedom, they have a right to interpret and believe however and whatever they wish.

If you have any interactions with these believers or churches try to remember that they genuinely and sincerely believe that their understanding is correct, and they desire to live lives demonstrating the love God as much as you do. Just love your neighbors, and perhaps agree to disagree. Keep Jesus central.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,708.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like they are a "progressive" church. Many progressive churches interpret sexual ethics in different, or in non-traditional ways, compared to more "conservative" churches. That being so, it isn't uncommon to see them celebrate Gay Pride. Many progressive churches believe that any consensual and loving sexual relations are acceptable before God. This would include not only loving and consensual heterosexual relationships but also loving and consensual relationships that are homosexual or polyamorous. They also welcome transgendered and those who identify as "non-binary". Most of these churches stress their belief that love triumphs over law and judgment.
Most churches that accept gays are mainline churches. I don't think it's so clear that these churches accept polyamory, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I trust you understand you've asked a question that under the rules can't really be answered in this group. In summary: they think you're misreading the Bible: taking passages that actually talk about something else and misapplying them. It's not about politics or popularity. Everyone knows that conservative Christianity is more popular. These churches have counted the cost.
So you tell someone that they really can’t discuss what they want and then tell them what they think.

Interesting strategy

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,223,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
Thread locked permanently:
Topics Requiring Special Consideration:
  • Homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, transsexualism and transgenderism may not be promoted* on CF (including member profiles). Several debate forums allow homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, transsexualism and transgenderism to be discussed from a political, legal, historical, and civil rights point of view. Please check the Statement of Purpose thread for individual debate forums before posting. Homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, transsexualism and transgenderism may be discussed, without promotion*, in the Congregational in line with each group's beliefs there. You may post without promotion* in the Struggles with Sexuality and Ask a Chaplain forums solely for the purpose of seeking support with personal struggles related to these issues.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.