Why are so many American Christians consulting psychics and the dead?

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
People don't believe there exist that power - good or bad. They dabble in what they feel is sensational for their culture, and then forget about it until they are spiritually assaulted.

The problem can't be fixed if we keep conversing about the problem. Nothing is happening; people keep doing what their fathers keep doing.
You have to stop worrying and start trusting. God has a plan, and He is going to move in the Church and in the world. What He has spoken in His Word is going to happen, and He has already begun to pour out His Spirit and equip His children with His gifts and His Armor. Do you believe that He is going to stop, or that He is going to continue?

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
People don't believe there exist that power - good or bad. They dabble in what they feel is sensational for their culture, and then forget about it until they are spiritually assaulted.

The problem can't be fixed if we keep conversing about the problem. Nothing is happening; people keep doing what their fathers keep doing.
And their fathers have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So it becomes a perpetual cycle of doing this, which is why people will need a wake-up call. It can come from humans (God's people), or from the Most High God Himself.

I find it better coming from His people, than from Him. But, what do I know? People have to choose to want to change, and some people like hell.
God also has to work in their heart first. It's all in His timing. And no, it is definitely better when it comes from Him directly. But when He uses His people, it is still His words that they are speaking. So many Christians are speaking from their own mind, and it is preventing the Holy Spirit from building others up and giving them a good foundation in His Word.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It would be better if a nation heeds a prophet than to continue in their ways and let the Most High's hand come down on them. That is what I meant. No, I am not calling myself a prophet, but in the context of modernity, it would be better for them to receive Him from one of His people than it would be for them to be humbled by the Most High God. In other words, the world needs to do like Nineveh, and put on sackcloth instead of relishing in their iniquity up to the end like Sodom.
Well, the world will get worse before it gets better. People love the praise of men more than the praise of God. Every year America holds a national day of prayer. It helps some, I think.But things continue to spiral downward.

• Agree
Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The most notable time in bible canon history where it showed the FULL mercy of the Most High God was with Nineveh. They actually turned away from their iniquity, and repented. Even Jonah knew this may happened, which is why he put up such a fight: why should a harlot of a nation get the opportunity to repent, and be spared?!

I am not Jonah; I am not interested in stopping the Most High God because I know first hand the futility of it. I am actually trying to expose His enemies, and exalt Him so that maybe we don't have to receive His judgment coming to the world - if it were possible. Perhaps more people will see what is going on, and decide to make a change.

Yes Nineveh's destruction was postponed 100 years after the King called a solemn fast to The Most High.But Lord Jesus is coming soon and He will not delay.

• Agree
Reactions: Emli and Kaon
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I find it quite reasonable. Psionics is a claim of a special supernatural power for an individual. The odds are far greater that it is either someone's imagination, fueled by pride, or the act of some other spiritual being imposed upon a human, or both, than that one human should have an unrealistically uncommon complex ability that the mass of humanity does not.

Agreed so why are you claiming that psionics is not one of the devil's toys?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just learned the other day that according to Pew Research Center, so many American Christians have consulted psychics (14%), been in touch with the dead (29%), and believe in astrology (23%), reincarnation(22%), yoga as a spiritual practice (21%). Is it because they don't know that they shouldn't, or they just don't care, or are they so desperate for answers that they turn to it?
Probably the last of those, but I have the feeling that there isn't more of it going on now than went on in past generations.

Reactions: sea5763
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's relatively low, and it's always been like that, more or less.

Yoga is often a healthy practice. Learning to get in touch with your body and to be more mindful is a good thing. I used to go to yoga classes. If anything spiritual was discussed, it was the simple idea of having gratitude and compassion. There's nothing anti-Christian about that.

Many people have experiences of the presence of loved ones after they have died- as many a half in some surveys. I don't see how this problematic in itself, and for many people it is a source of comfort and helps them through their grieving process. It doesn't necessarily indicate undue interest in the occult.

Its hard to take the religion out of mindfulness and yoga...it has just been rebranded and a watered down form of hinduism. It has become secularized to remove the negative connitation of being pagan.

Be weary and vigilant to research, from past occultists who are now Spirit filled believers. The enemy comes to steal, kill and distroy no matter what form he is branded.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Its hard to take the religion out of mindfulness and yoga...it has just been rebranded and a watered down form of hinduism. It has become secularized to remove the negative connitation of being pagan.

I don't see how mindfulness can be considered religious in the sense of offering worship to a god.

I also think we should be careful to not denigrate the good things that non-Christians do in the world, as part of God's providence. Those things are just as much gifts from God. Just because they don't come in a Christian religious package doesn't mean we aren't free to consider how they may have some particular gift we do not.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,902.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has had a clean.
Please note in particular this portion of CF's flaming rule:
  • Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members,
    are not Christian is not allowed.​
Please refrain from any further such comments.​
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0