Why are Protestants so Anti-Catholic? (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilenceInMotion

Sep 5, 2012
Virginia, USA
✟1,646.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On a more general note, I find your claim that Purgatory, Indulgences and all forms of tradition outside of Baptism and Mass are deduced from Scripture to be interesting. Particularly claims relating to the Assumption and Indulgences. Perhaps you could point me to the deductive process - from Scripture.

If your Bible had the book of Tobit in it, it would be easy to deduce Purgatory.
Indulgences are simply paid remissions for venial sins. You can either sit there and exhaust your priest with a gazillion itty bitty sins you committed, or you can repent them by paying for them. Giving away money is giving away the fruits of your labor in return for those small sins you can't do anything about.

For more, see the Catholic Encyclopedia. You can type in virtually any Christian term or phrase, and it will answer all.
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Home

Upvote 0

SilenceInMotion

Sep 5, 2012
Virginia, USA
✟1,646.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Huh......

I'm a Protestant and I have respect for every Church including Messianic.

It's a little easier to do that when you ignore the entire second part of revelation in Scripture, which is a bit of the irony of 'sola scriptura'.

Upvote 0
C

crimsonleaf

Indulgences are simply paid remissions for venial sins. You can either sit there and exhaust your priest with a gazillion itty bitty sins you committed, or you can repent them by paying for them. Giving away money is giving away the fruits of your labor in return for those small sins you can't do anything about.

For more, see the Catholic Encyclopedia. You can type in virtually any Christian term or phrase, and it will answer all.
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Home
Well thanks for that. Now, can you answer my question?

You haven't shown from Scripture that paying for remission of sins is acceptable, nor confession to, and forgiveness by, a priest.

Upvote 0

SilenceInMotion

Sep 5, 2012
Virginia, USA
✟1,646.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
revelation is the assumption upon which sola scriptura rests & to the extent we stay on that foundation, it works wonderfullly.

Yes, when you cut out the part that you do not like, which is the historical, biblical Church that Jesus instituted through Peter.

Your foundation is a legal fiction; your sola scriptura is against you. The entire heresy rests on one or two men well over a thousand years later. It is shady at best anyway. Protestantism exists because of overly-proud culture, which is why America for example is the Protestant capitol of the world. No conformity- just invent your own religion I suppose. That's why there are 30000 different kinds of you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Protestantism exists because of overly-proud culture, which is why America for example is the Protestant capitol of the world.

Documentation please, otherwise this is just a flame.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

This type of practice is exactly why a Reformation was needed. Sola gratia.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Milan45 Huh......

I'm a Protestant and I have respect for every Church including Messianic.
What about the SDAs, Mormons and JWs? :)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by drstevej Documentation please, otherwise this is just a flame.
I can see the smoke of this thread coming up all the way from my house :D

images
89488-funny-funny-thanksgiving-day.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Silence in Motion, The Inquisition was a Catholic institution.

In the reign of Henry VIII about fifty persons were burnt, several also died in prison. These were Protestant Martyrs.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
quote=SilenceInMotion;Yes, when you cut out the part that you do not like, which is the historical, biblical Church that Jesus instituted through Peter.
Even if we agreed Jesus would build His Church on Peter, what that institution has become is something else, & something else again.
Your foundation is a legal fiction; your sola scriptura is against you.
Gasp! =8O
The entire heresy rests on one or two men well over a thousand years later.
Not realy, but that is a handy way to dismiss what those men had to say.
It is shady at best anyway.
Religion can become a racket. Have you seen the status of the Vatican Bank?
Protestantism exists because of overly-proud culture, which is why America for example is the Protestant capitol of the world.
This can easily be turned on its head, watch:
"Catholicism exists because ov overly-proud elitists, which is why Rome became the capital of Christendom as opposed to a spiritual center of Christianity, much like one could imagine Jerusalem being."
No conformity- just invent your own religion I suppose. That's why there are 30000 different kinds of you.
External conformity instead of true unity in the liberty of Christ.
That's why there's THREE "one true churches" as a witness to the world against catholic unity.

Upvote 0

SilenceInMotion

Sep 5, 2012
Virginia, USA
✟1,646.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read this thread title & think, "Why was the Inquisition so anti-Protestant?"

I dunno, why were the witch trials so.. anti-regular people? Why were Anglicans so anti-anyone-who-doesn't-love-King Henry? Why is America, the world's #1 hypocrisy, call itself 78% Christian when it hardly resembles 5%?

I look at responses such as yours and think: denominations actually think they are more morally upright to petition the Church on righteousness? It's a bad joke. There has been more Christian-on-Christian crime then any other religion in the history of the world, and all people do is look at the Church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I dunno, why were the witch trials so.. anti-regular people? Why were Anglicans so anti-anyone-who-doesn't-love-King Henry? Why is America, the world's #1 hypocrisy, call itself 78% Christian when it hardly resembles 5%?

I look at responses such as yours and think: denominations actually think they are more morally upright to petition the Church on righteousness? It's a bad joke. There has been more Christian-on-Christian crime then any other religion in the history of the world, and all people do is look at the Church.
At a glance toward Mecca I can discount your opinion.
I don't claim a denomination, but the one with so many of those crimes against Christians, the one who instituted that business, is not at all hard to identify.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SilenceInMotion

Sep 5, 2012
Virginia, USA
✟1,646.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
At a glance toward Mecca I can discount your opinion.
I don't claim a denomination, but the one with so many of those crimes against Christians, the one who instituted that business, is not at all hard to identify.

Oh yes, in a different time where not applying a firm authority usually resulted in being run over. If only all Christians were martyrs, then we wouldn't have so many sects today.. in fact, there wouldn't be none, we'd probably be Muslims right now.

The Inquisition failing has caused 30000 denominations to occur. And because it failed, more life was actually taken as a result- Anglos rounding up Protestants and Catholics, Protestants taking out Anglos and Catholics- it's not hard to identify with the fact that the Church is the Church. It is fairly easy, but that does not stop people from denying it even still. The world slipped away from traditional Christianity and right into the pits of deception, and the Church is the bad guy? The bad guys are the guys that started denominations in the first place.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.