Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I suspect teaching like this might contribute to making young Christian men into wusses:

JESUS AS LOVER?? - by Andrew Strom

A good critique of something I've found disturbing about Western Christian culture. I really didn't know it had gone to such extremes as that, though. But I'd see it more as a co-symptom of the feminization of Christian men than the cause (and I also think that the whole "feminization of Christian men" thing is a bit exaggerated, though it has some valid points).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Irascible

garrulous, loquacious, occasionally multiloquent
Dec 4, 2005
SF Bay Area
Visit site
✟10,037.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What we have here is a fallacy of questionable cause. What does being a Christian guy have to do with boredom? Just because two things occur together frequently (being a Christian guy and being boring) doesn't mean one caused the other.
I was going to say causation isn’t necessarily linked to causation, but she beat me to it:
Put another way, correlation does not imply causation. However causation seems to rely in part on correlation so I wouldn't dismiss it wholesale.
How boring. ;)

Reactions: mina
Upvote 0

Irascible

Dec 4, 2005
SF Bay Area
Visit site
✟10,037.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I wonder what "not boring" would look like to the OP? So he can't listen to Christian music, only rock, can't work toward holiness and has to be able to have at least three drunken escapade stories. He must dress like a punk or a Jonas Brother and must be able to recite each cast member of Jersey Shore but not anything remotely useful. Am I close to what "not boring" would look like?
Winning.

Upvote 0

Irascible

Dec 4, 2005
SF Bay Area
Visit site
✟10,037.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you're boring according to carnal people, you're probably doing alright. But if the world speaks well of you, then you should watch out.
Winning again.

Do you happen to know how cool the Bible is? I’m not just talking about its central themes. I’m talking on every level. I love talking about it. The last lady I dated, ostensibly Christian, would stare at me blankly and wait for me to be done talking about the apparently boring Bible so that we could get on with more “exciting” topics.

A mature Christian... How I wish I was there.... finds things of the world boring and things of God exciting. The exact opposite dominates the Western church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

scotslad83

Mar 15, 2011
Scotland
✟15,361.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seriously , why is it that most christian men are so boring? Not all ,but most of them are so boring. I want to find a good Christian guy ,but most of them are so boring. They have no style,nerdy, horrible taste in music, and they act so pefect when they know that they are not perfect.

I guess you'd probably lump me in with your boring christian men statement. I'm a quiet guy don't drink, don't smoke, don't party the night away.
I do try to live by the bible's standards (with God's help of course) but I'm not what you might describe as charismatic or exciting as a person. Sure I'd like to be more attractive to girls but I can't pretend to be something I'm not, that would just disappoint the girl once she uncovered what I'm really like. I just hope that I may come across a girl who's happy with me - boring as I may be...

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A mature Christian... How I wish I was there.... finds things of the world boring and things of God exciting. The exact opposite dominates the Western church.

Sadly true. I was out on Thursday night with some good friends of mine, and we talked theology and the gospel quite a bit. Hearing the conversation of those around us, even those whom I know go to church regularly, made me feel very blessed to have those friends. I only hope I can find a woman with that sort of passion.

Reactions: Irascible
Upvote 0
E

Edwards1984

Sadly true. I was out on Thursday night with some good friends of mine, and we talked theology and the gospel quite a bit. Hearing the conversation of those around us, even those whom I know go to church regularly, made me feel very blessed to have those friends. I only hope I can find a woman with that sort of passion.

You will, sir, you will :) And it's good you desire that in a woman.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hope so.

Also, I should add that we were in a bar, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the sort of conversation outside of our little group. It was mostly about March Madness and Charlie Sheen (and that's on the high end). But the fact remains that even most Christians don't care to talk about their faith even among themselves, in my experience - so it shouldn't surprise us that they won't talk about it to others.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I guess you'd probably lump me in with your boring christian men statement. I'm a quiet guy don't drink, don't smoke, don't party the night away.
I do try to live by the bible's standards (with God's help of course) but I'm not what you might describe as charismatic or exciting as a person. Sure I'd like to be more attractive to girls but I can't pretend to be something I'm not, that would just disappoint the girl once she uncovered what I'm really like. I just hope that I may come across a girl who's happy with me - boring as I may be...

You sound like the male version of me. I have the same worries.

All I can say is, don't give into the thinking that you have to change yourself and avoid who you are just to catch someone's attention. You'll find the right fit in the long run. It may just take time, but there is nothing wrong with patience in the meantime. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

scotslad83

Mar 15, 2011
Scotland
✟15,361.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You sound like the male version of me. I have the same worries.

All I can say is, don't give into the thinking that you have to change yourself and avoid who you are just to catch someone's attention. You'll find the right fit in the long run. It may just take time, but there is nothing wrong with patience in the meantime. :)

thanks for your thoughts. I don't see any point in trying to change me as it wouldn't work in the end. The person would be sure to find out then you would hurt them as they maybe had grown attached to who they thought you were.

Upvote 0
E

Edwards1984

I hope so.

Also, I should add that we were in a bar, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the sort of conversation outside of our little group. It was mostly about March Madness and Charlie Sheen (and that's on the high end). But the fact remains that even most Christians don't care to talk about their faith even among themselves, in my experience - so it shouldn't surprise us that they won't talk about it to others.

I know what you mean. My housemates are all attending seminary, but when it comes to matters of faith, they just repeat what their professors told them then move on to the latest news topic or sports event.

That's why K was such a God-send for me (no pun intended), and probably why I fell for her so quickly. (And if you're wondering who K is, go to the Crush thread :p ).

Upvote 0

NoodlesNoodlesNoodles

I am a bad person.
Jan 30, 2010
La la land.
✟14,001.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hope so.

It's weird. I've only met three or four people IRL who were not of two extremes. Either very little conversation was about the Lord and all about inane topics, or all about doctrinal arguments from a theoretical standpoint and no acumen with earthly topics ("What's a Libya?"). Very few seem to have the ability to understand good theology and doctrines and then understand and apply that into an understanding and walk with the Lord.

Mac, if I'm ever back east we'll have to pick up a pint together. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0