Why are many conservatives still afraid to speak up for being called bad names?

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's quite an eccentric and alarmist notion. In what way do you think civilization is at stake?
In the West, religion is receding, so we have nothing in common, so we are splintering into conflicting tribes. Along with that, morality is becoming meaningless, so decadence is setting in, and people have no love for their fellow man. If the trajectory continues, it could lead to a collapse of civilization.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In the West, religion is receding, so we have nothing in common, so we are splintering into conflicting tribes.

No. Religious belief is changing. Traditional organized religion--among an increasing number of people--is being replaced by a sort of free-form, non-doctrinal spirituality. The article claims 1 in 5 Americans now identify as spiritual rather than religious.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/11/10/16630178/study-spiritual-but-not-religious

And BTW, if you think Christianity has been a unifying force in Western society, then you have never studied history. Catholics and Protestants were killing each other for centuries. (And both sides were oppressing Jews.) Consider the animosity of Trinitarians towards Unitarians. (Openly espousing the latter was a capital offense in old Europe. Remember John Calvin and Michael Servetus.) Read up sometimes on what the Puritans did to Quakers in our own country during colonial times. Organized, dogmatic religion has been every bit as divisive as it has been cohesive. And maybe more so.

Along with that, morality is becoming meaningless, so decadence is setting in

Wrong again. Morals are changing, not disappearing. Homosexuality is losing it's taboo status. But open expressions of racism is not tolerated. Those positions still reflect moral values. Just somewhat different from what was considered normative in the past. Just like living organisms, cultural attitudes evolve in response to changing times and conditions. It's inevitable. What really will cause the downfall of civilization is if society doesn't adapt to change. Again, just like a species, it will either evolve or go extinct.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟106,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In the West, religion is receding, so we have nothing in common, so we are splintering into conflicting tribes. Along with that, morality is becoming meaningless, so decadence is setting in, and people have no love for their fellow man. If the trajectory continues, it could lead to a collapse of civilization.
Yes and it looks soon like spitting of 5 years. I could be wrong and it might be more than a decade before that.

Not that civilization collapse is a recent phenomenon.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No. Religious belief is changing. Traditional organized religion--among an increasing number of people--is being replaced by a sort of free-form, non-doctrinal spirituality. The article claims 1 in 5 Americans now identify as spiritual rather than religious.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/11/10/16630178/study-spiritual-but-not-religious
Without doctrine there is no religion, there is no binding together. "Spiritual but not religious" has always been a joke.

And BTW, if you think Christianity has been a unifying force in Western society, then you have never studied history. Catholics and Protestants were killing each other for centuries. (And both sides were oppressing Jews.) Consider the animosity of Trinitarians towards Unitarians. (Openly espousing the latter was a capital offense in old Europe. Remember John Calvin and Michael Servetus.) Read up sometimes on what the Puritans did to Quakers in our own country during colonial times. Organized, dogmatic religion has been every bit as divisive as it has been cohesive. And maybe more so.
I mentioned Western Civilization, not Christian Civilization. Christian Civilization was found in the East. But regardless, those of the West were obviously unified, otherwise they'd have had nothing to fight about. People have killed each other since Cain and Abel. That's not what defines civilization.
Wrong again. Morals are changing, not disappearing. Homosexuality is losing it's taboo status. But open expressions of racism is not tolerated. Those positions still reflect moral values. Just somewhat different from what was considered normative in the past. Just like living organisms, cultural attitudes evolve in response to changing times and conditions. It's inevitable. What really will cause the downfall of civilization is if society doesn't adapt to change. Again, just like a species, it will either evolve or go extinct.
Civilization is an apex, there's nothing for it to evolve into. What we have now is a retarded mentality that will engage in physical violence to overpower those they disagree with. It's not a matter of "might makes right", because they cannot articulate any conception of right or wrong that doesn't leave sane people scratching their heads. It's merely "might makes power", which is the law of the jumgle, which is the opposite of civilization.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟106,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I see God one day, I want to discuss with him about why the heck this kind of stuff had to happen and not end, and why it had to be during my generation. At least when my parents and grandparents were growing up and in their 20s, what's going on in everyday society wasn't as sick as it is today.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But if you fight like a gentleman you're going to lose to people who fight dirty.
@Tanj Thanks for proving my point. You're breaking the rules with that rating. :)

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
@Tanj Thanks for proving my point. You're breaking the rules with that rating. :)

My apologies, I didn't realise you were seriously calling the party that shut down one presidents pick for SCOTUS and then stating they would do the opposite for a president of their own party "fair , decent, civil and honest"

I had considered based on previous posts that you had a certain level of wit and sardonic humor.

I wont make the same mistake again.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My apologies, I didn't realise you were seriously calling the party that shut down one presidents pick for SCOTUS and then stating they would do the opposite for a president of their own party "fair , decent, civil and honest"

I had considered based on previous posts that you had a certain level of wit and sardonic humor.

I wont make the same mistake again.
I wasn't talking about parties. Couldn't care less about those.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Still waiting for a genuine example of conservatives bullying leftists.
Proud boys beating liberal protesters Oct. 2018. I would like the articles but the language of the PBs is too foul.

Every gay child, teen driven to suicide by anti-gay harassment online or at school.

Charlottesville - the fellow driving a car into a crowd, killing one. The group marching around a black church repeating "blood and soil" and "Jews will not replace us."

Every conservative carrying around AK 47s at protests by liberals. It is attempted intimidation and is bullying behavior.

There are lots and lots of examples.
Don't pretend all of the conservative world is innocent.

Accusations in a Mirror: How the Radical Right Blames Rising Political Violence on the Left

If you listened only to Owens’s testimony, you might never learn that the vast majority of extremist murders committed in 2018 were carried out by members of the far right who were steeped in white supremacist ideology. Or that the number of those murders is increasing. Or that many of the tech companies that control the online spaces where violent white supremacists become radicalized are failing to moderate hate content effectively, creating a fertile space for frustrated white men to become socialized into the world of hate.

Owens’s strategy has become standard fare on the right: diminishing the rise of white nationalist violence, diffusing blame onto “many sides” – as President Trump did after “Unite the Right” – or insisting, despite all evidence, that political violence is a left-wing problem. Trump downplayed the threat once again in the aftermath of the Christchurch, New Zealand, shooting that left 50 Muslim worshippers dead at the hands of a white supremacist. When a reporter asked the president whether he believed white nationalism was a rising global threat, he responded, “I don’t really.”

Right-wing terrorism - Wikipedia

A 2019 report found that in 2018, 50 people in the United States were killed in murders by domestic extremists (including both ideologically and non-ideologically motivated homicides). Of these killings, 78% were perpetrated by white supremacists, 16% by anti-government extremists, 4% by "incel" extremists, and 2% by domestic Islamist extremists.[71] Over the broader 2009 to 2018 time period, there were a total of 313 people in the United States killed by right-wing extremists (including both ideologically and non-ideologically motivated homicides), of which 76% were committed by white supremacists, 19% by antigovernment extremists (including those affiliated with the militia, "sovereign citizen," tax protester, and "Patriot" movements), 3% by "incel" extremists, 1% by anti-abortion extremists, and 1% by other right-wing extremists.[71]

Again, don't pretend all conservatives or all the right is non-violent or don't bully.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟106,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, instead of God just allowing this to be the end, I want it to stay but I want the rest of us to stand up and finally CRUSH the people with the agenda to ruin everything on this earth so they can feel as miserable as we are and we will take back this earth God created himself.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, instead of God just allowing this to be the end, I want it to stay but I want the rest of us to stand up and finally CRUSH the people with the agenda to ruin everything on this earth so they can feel as miserable as we are and we will take back this earth God created himself.
Interesting comment.

Upvote 0

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is particularly curious given that most of these same people have no problem in bullying or using bad names when speaking of moderates or leftists.

Where did you get that from...seriously...because you are obviously living in your own made up bubble if you truly believe what you've stated. They've been called the silent majority for a reason...one I'm well aware of working in the public and having experienced exactly what the op outlined.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Where did you get that from...seriously...because you are obviously living in your own made up bubble if you truly believe what you've stated. They've been called the silent majority for a reason...one I'm well aware of working in the public and having experienced exactly what the op outlined.

I am very serious. In the 25 years I have been online I would estimate that about 80%+ of the religious bullying going on is done by Christian conservatives against Christian liberals. In recent years it has begun to change a bit as liberals no longer feel so intimidated but it is still mostly conservatives bullying liberals. I have been called every foul name in the book and have been accused of heinous crimes by my fellow Christians. Well, that is just how it has been since forever.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟106,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah a majority, so funny how they are fighting this battle, but seem to be losing from their end.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,303.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I know that many people are offended when some other people try to say "everyone's doing it" or "both sides do it" when, in truth, it is one side that started it and has made it a specialty.
Yes, but we forgive you.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,303.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I guess my comment is kind of nasty and harsh, but still...
You think! There you are drawing up battle lines when "the other side" are simply going about their business, living life as they feel it should be lived, just as you do.
Your attitude almost encourages me to think that this interpretation of the "walk a mile in my shoes" should be the one to favour: definitely walk a mile in the other guys shoes, for then you have his shoes and he's a mile away. No chance he'll get you. Is that really what you want?

Upvote 0