Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] i do not know why

It's two things...

1) There's often less emphasis, or a more blase stance, on the "sins" that they, themselves find it harder to abstain from, and more emphasis put on the ones they find it easy to abstain from. Thus, we've never heard of a Christian baker fighting for the ability to refuse service to gluttons on the grounds that it conflicts with their religious view (even though it does)

2) There's actually some negative dietary advice in the bible, so as long as it's in there, people are going to make some damaging nutrition choices. As the saying goes 'people love hearing good news about their bad habits'

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Healthy food is expensive. Churches want to be hospitable but have budgets. Donuts and chips are much cheaper than grapes and nuts. No one forces anyone to eat the donuts that are at the church. If your diet consist only of what you get when you walk in the church doors, then you're going to starve ...this could have a double meaning.

I know churches who give food to the needy and make an effort to give healthy foods, and a couple of ministries around here even have a garden to give fresh produce when available. There is also a vegetarian soup kitchen run out of one of the churches nearby.

If eating a couple of donuts on a Sunday morning is destroying people's body, then none of us have any hope of physical health. What will make or break your health is your over all diet. All things in moderation, right? Including donuts and bacon, though I prefer turkey bacon. I don't do pork because pigs are gross.

The church is not a place for people to get professional, expert, nutritional advice. That is for nutritionist and medical professional. Most people know and understand what a regular healthy diet should be like. When people are struggling with food choices, ask if they can afford good food. If they can't, then is there something you or the church can do about it?

Look into how their spiritual health is, or rather, the strength of their relationship with the Lord. When people are walking closely to the Lord as far as relationship with Him goes, then these choices and these cravings and impulses can be relieved by the Lord and grace can be given. If a church isn't looking to the members spiritual health, then the physical health of those who struggle with food will fall by the wayside.

That being said, I have been part of some churches that encourage and give the example of over eating through many meals together. Feasting together is their way of socializing. Eating much food is encouraged, both healthy and unhealthy foods (but I have also been to churches that aren't like that at all). If that is the case, then yes, those individual churches have some explaining to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's two things...

1) There's often less emphasis, or a more blase stance, on the "sins" that they, themselves find it harder to abstain from, and more emphasis put on the ones they find it easy to abstain from. Thus, we've never heard of a Christian baker fighting for the ability to refuse service to gluttons on the grounds that it conflicts with their religious view (even though it does)

This. I always found it odd. There was so much eating at church and most of the food wasn't healthy. We had a ladies group and a few people would bring healthier options. But the majority was cakes and cookies and heavier dishes for afternoon meals.

Whereas, the synagogues I attended were more attentive to this. The kiddush lunch always had fruit, vegetables, healthy grains, salad, meat, and a small serving of sweets and beverages. Sometimes we had smoked salmon and lox. I think it depends on the organizer or the views of the people involved.

The meals at the church were more like Thanksgiving and the synagogue were akin to a luncheon.

• Informative
Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Healthy food is expensive.
When people are struggling with food choices, ask if they can afford good food. If they can't, then is there something you or the church can do about it?

Yes & No.

A big part of the problem is the perception of "what is healthy" with regards to food largely relies on fads that don't have a strong scientific backing, and the ramblings of social media personalities like "Dr." Josh Axe.

Many don't realize that when those packages boast things like "Non-GMO" or "Certified Organic", the only thing (in most cases) that ads to the food is an additional 60% onto the price with no real, demonstrable health benefits.

...and when it comes to animal foods, that should be the first thing to go if someone's really on a tight food budget. You don't really need it for health (disclaimer: I'm not a vegan, just providing information), and it's subject to the largest amount of price gouging with regards to those fancy labels they put on to give the impression of added health benefits. Things like "free range", "vegetarian fed", "organic", "grass fed", "cage free", etc... all at a lot of additional price, with not a whole lot of additional benefit. There research is split with regards to antibiotic/hormone free red meat & milk with regards to whether or not that actually has benefits, some research says yes, others say the difference negligible (if any).

I was curious, so I did sort of a compare & contrast between shopping for a mostly plant-based weekly stock up from a regular grocery store, and a weekly stock up from the "organic health food store" with a 60/40 plant/animal split.

The former, I was able to get enough food for the week for around $70
The latter, I spent close to $150

...and I take in more calories than most simply due to my exercise & running routines.

If a person wanted to eat healthy, cheaply, it can certainly be done with a little educating.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This. I always found it odd. There was so much eating at church and most of the food wasn't healthy. We had a ladies group and a few people would bring healthier options. But the majority was cakes and cookies and heavier dishes for afternoon meals.

My grandmother, who grew up in southern Kentucky, used to say "After Christianity, Fried food was our second religion"

...and it still appears to be that way.

There's a direct data correlation between heart disease and fried food consumption and if you look at heart disease mortality by state...there's a clear "stand-out" region within the country.

upload_2019-1-27_11-0-2.png

...she said for some reason it was always just a tradition, you go to church service in the morning, then everyone has a big, what she used to call, "Fry-up" afterwards for lunch and dinner. Which, from what she described was basically just loading up large pans with lard over open fires, and anything that could be fried, would be. Don't get me wrong, sounds like it'd be delicious to have every once in a great while as a cheat meal...but doing that twice a week would take its toll.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Look into how their spiritual health is, or rather, the strength of their relationship with the Lord. When people are walking closely to the Lord as far as relationship with Him goes, then these choices and these cravings and impulses can be relieved by the Lord and grace can be given. If a church isn't looking to the members spiritual health, then the physical health of those who struggle with food will fall by the wayside.

I believe this is true. I've had similar discussions with the Holy Spirit. He's given me protocols about the food I shouldn't eat and stores I should avoid. But I already held firm ideas about food and the importance of moderation.

One of the products He told me to stop consuming had refined sugar. I don't eat it. I experienced tooth pain when I had the cookies. The recipe changed that's why He told me to stop eating them. Another related to preservatives that weren't good for me. I make a lot of things myself and He said to continue the practice or buy it fresh. But not to consume the other varieties.

I didn't hear many discussions about good health and never a sermon. My prayer partner would talk about it because she lost a lot of weight but she was the lone one. It didn't come up. I think a lot of people are silent because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. This issue is less pronounced with demographics who can afford better food and may have a different philosophy about weight and exercise.

I noticed more feasting in gatherings with older and married members than the younger ones. They'd have something but it was never as plentiful as the things the others provided. My daughter attended the teen and college gatherings and an adult bible study with me. She said the same. And I believe this is more prevalent with women than men.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There's a direct data correlation between heart disease and fried food consumption and if you look at heard disease mortality by state...there's a clear "stand-out" region within the country.

I believe that. I'm the only person in my family that never had high blood pressure, diabetes, or high cholesterol. And I'm the lone one who doesn't fry at all. I will have something every blue moon but I purchase it elsewhere. I don't fry anything in my home.

• Agree
Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm the same about fried food. If I'm somewhere else I'll eat it, but I sometimes go years between frying food at home. Everything here is baked, steamed, broiled, or boiled.

I believe that's a wiser approach. I've seen the impact of poor eating habits on health and it doesn't improve with age. My refusal to eat soul food was bothersome but it's no longer an issue.

I eat seasonal organic food. I prefer French and Mediterranean dishes. But I'll eat others. I learned to cook by watching Julia Child and The Frugal Gourmet. They made the things I wanted to eat but didn't get at home. I like Jacques Pepin as well.

My favorite meal is charcuterie, cheese, a fresh demi baguette and a glass of wine. Homemade pickles, preserves, or mustard are a nice addition. I could eat that every week. ;-)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums